Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2014, 17:43   #151
BHPian

Re: If you got Rs. 30 Lakhs to blow on a new car, what would you do?

Interesting caption

Well, let me intentionally take a long route in answering this

if I had 30 lac, I would have gone ahead and booked an Audi A6 with a 25 lakh loan just for the love for the look and feel of the 4 rings. Buy just one, caress one and take care of just one.

Or being a family man, how about this conservative approach - Buy a Cruze / Elantra, put the remaining in a Fixed Deposit and route the interest towards upkeep and maintenance of the car! sounds peaceful I guess.

But shouldn't I enjoy the look and feel inside a car, shouldn't I have a smile all through out my journey with my car? So then, realistically, (I do echo my real self here) I think I will wait for the 2015 VW Passat and the 2016 Skoda Superb, compare the two and pick one.

Whatever the thought process / decision, one thing is for sure - Just buy one, caress one, take care of just one.

Cheers!
Old 1st March 2018, 11:11   #152
Senior - BHPian

An interesting thread. Ain't we all keep thinking this with different amount and different combinations?

This is almost three years old post so let's keep inflation in mind and increase the amount.

Ok so, If I have Rs. 40 Lakhs to blow on a new car, what would I do?

Well, I would go for a one full-size Suv and one hot hatch.

SUV:
Toyota Fortuner or Ford Endeavour or Isuzu MU-X.
Hot Hatch:
Abarth Punto or Polo GTI or Octavia Rs

Oops, I need Rs. 10 Lakh more to go for a combination of Ford Endeavour and Octavia Rs.
Old 3rd March 2018, 13:40   #153
BHPian

I'd definitely buy a Swift Diesel (top end AT) for my daily commute as it offers a zippy and yet comfy ride. With the rest of the money, I'd buy a Hyundai Creta (top end with 6 Airbags) for those long trips where safety, stability are paramount. If there's money left over, I'd use it to upgrade the insurance policies to cover Zero-Dep, Engine Protector and Return To Invoice. If there's still money left over, I'd get accessories such as door visors, and front, rear and side protectors. I'm sure by now that there'd be no more money left over. If there is, then ceramic coatings on both cars
Old 3rd March 2018, 14:22   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
If I had 30L, I would most definitely pick up:
- a pre-owned E90/E60 320D/530D - remapped for around 20L
- a pre-owned Octavia vRS + Mods - around 5L
- look around for a sparingly used Toyota Etios/Liva to ferry me around to those places I wouldn't dare take any of the above to.

If the choice was limited to new cars:
- A Superb 1.8 TSi M/T to avoid the gearbox issues, and leave potential for mods
- A toyota Liva 1.5 GD SP
Yes, I would not buy a pure German, just because the Superb (remapped) absolutely annihilates a 320D Basline/A4/C220 (just because the base models are all that would fit in the budget) except probably at speeds higher than 170kmph / twisties (RWD 3/C) / really rough roads (C Class).
Yes, I would lose out on the exceptional build quality - but the Superb is pretty damn tough.
This was my answer 4 years ago! Funny how life & circumstances change the final outcome (in terms of choices - I probably won't go the Superb way today unless I wanted a car to be driven around in) but the basics are still the same (a tuner + a reliable daily drive)!

Some of you'll may know that I was just about to pick up a new vRS for 30L OTR! Interestingly though I ended up picking up a pre-owned 328i and for most of my running that takes me to poor roads / parking / narrow lanes, etc. - I happily pick up the keys to the S-Cross / Etios and take those out.

Therefore in a nutshell, I actually ended up putting my money on the vRS (new), which changed later on because I found a good 328i / Beater combo!
lamborghini is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 12:42   #155
BHPian

Skoda Octavia vRS vs Innova vs Audi / BMW

Hi Guys,

I know the cars I'm looking for are in completely different segments but please bear with me and most importantly please suggest the right car for me as it is getting more confusing the more I think about it.

Firstly just a little Background, I stay in a joint family, my wife kid and my parents. All in all 7 people. We stay a little far from the city (ECR) and my sons schools is around 13kms from our place. But the best part is my office is in the same complex as my house so no office commute requirements.We definitely need 3 cars since my son started going to School

We already own a Hyundai Creta Auto Diesel and Skoda Rapid DSG, just sold my 9 year old Skoda Laura.

The Skoda Laura was used for my kids School runs and other basic duties and was used by the driver.

The Rapid is used by me and my Dad mostly.

The Creta was purchased mainly for my wife but we end up using this car for any family outings in the city and/or some small trips out.

The Contenders:

Toyota Innova (The Head): The perfect family car, very versatile, and the Crysta has given got the much needed interior package, my parents love it because then the whole family can go in relative comfort rather than squeezing in one car or taking 2 cars, not to mention that my Dad is getting old and is shying away from driving himself, also enough space for any family getaways (maybe just once a year). Always good to have such a car in your garage no matter how boring it is to drive. The main drawback is that my wife hates this van (her words) and I'm not looking forward to this as I will have to do most of the driving in this vehicle. If i do end up taking this car, an obvious re-map and a customary Audio upgrade is on the cards to make the drive a little more pleasurable. Will be looking to purchase the mid-variant Manual transmission with 8 seats, as the top variant comes with only 7 seats. which beats the purpose of purchasing this car.

Skoda VRS (the heart): Always wanted this car right from the beginning from the first Skoda Vrs (infact was very close to purchase this car but ended up buying the 1st gen Octavia), the new VRS is just too good to miss. Thinking of using the Rapid for my sons school runs. Just will miss having the Innova for the family and maybe some outstation visits. Even though my family is OK with any decision I make, they do however think its too much money for a Skoda. My wife would rather have a BMW/Audi, infact she thinks I'm crazy to spend so much on a Skoda. The other obvious negative is that we are used to having diesels in our garage and now having a guzzling petrol engine will pinch a little as well as make me think twice to go for any outstation trip on it. This car if purcahsed will be used by me just for any Social commitments and of-course the feeling of having a car with decent power

Audi A4/BMW 3 series: The only reason I'm considering it because my wife loves the luxury these cars offer and obviously the feeling that one gets owing these German cars. Even-though I can stretch the budget to own these cars but maintaining them is a different story, right from the regular maintenance and the Insurance to the even changing the tyres and not to mention the huge depreciation once you start to sell these cars. If any of you know if they are giving any good offers, may even consider it.

So guys this is my dilemma please advise what should be my next car, am open to any other suggestions as well.

Thanks in advance.
xtremeshock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 13:04   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Skoda Octavia vRS vs Innova vs Audi / BMW

I see absolutely no value in cars like the 3 series and especially the A4 for a family man, apart from a few days worth of ego trip. They are fairly tight on space, are not very comfortable or practical and the Audi especially is woefully underpowered. They don't have the edge on features and equipment either. Something like the Skoda Superb will provide a much better luxury car experience.

I am a huge advocate of having a full sized M/SUV in the garage. The sheer practicality and flexibility they offer, whether it is with regards to taking holidays with family or doing airport runs, the fact that you can bully your way through the maze of bikes and autos, or something as basic as their ability to tame big speed breakers, bad roads and monsoons is amazing and it gets addictive. A sedan, a hatchback for daily use(Creta) and now something big with 7 seats. It's the ideal garage. If you find the Innova boring, you can always consider something like the Hexa or Kodiaq or Endeavor, depending on how much you want to spend and how much space you need.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 21st May 2018 at 13:12.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 13:07   #157
Senior - BHPian

Let me add to your confusion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeshock View Post
Always good to have such a car in your garage no matter how boring it is to drive. The main drawback is that my wife hates this van (her words) and I'm not looking forward to this as I will have to do most of the driving in this vehicle.
Do take a test drive of the AT version. It comes with a bigger 2.8L engine and propels this van in ways that shouldn't happen.

Quote:
If I do end up taking this car, an obvious re-map and a customary Audio upgrade is on the cards to make the drive a little more pleasurable.
The 2.8 is pretty potent and you might have to reconsider the remap. Barebones model = opportunity to customise Audio as per choice

Quote:
Will be looking to purchase the mid-variant Manual transmission with 8 seats...
Unfortunately, if you decide to go for the Innova AT, you'll have to be content with the base 2.8 G variant as thats the only AT version to come with 8 seats.

Quote:
Skoda VRS (the heart)...
Well, what can I say? Such decisions can never be rationalised, however, if you do end up with this, the car will meet your requirements, except for 7 seats.

Quote:
Audi A4/BMW 3 series: The only reason I'm considering it because my wife loves the luxury these cars offer and obviously the feeling that one gets owing these German cars.
Except for the badge value, the overall ride quality would be better in the Innova.
blackwasp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 16:32   #158
BHPian

a thought for you.

Skoda Rapid DSG - retain for school runs
Sell Creta AUTO and BUY a used Innova for once a year family runs
Buy a NEW VRS for yourself

A new VRS + a little bit difference in amount for used good condition Innova (previous gen) will be equal or lesser to a new German. Just thought of giving you a different perspective, if it helps

Swami
swami69 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 16:40   #159
BHPian

Quote:
We stay a little far from the city (ECR) and my sons schools is around 13kms from our place. But the best part is my office is in the same complex as my house so no office commute requirements.We definitely need 3 cars since my son started going to School

We already own a Hyundai Creta Auto Diesel and Skoda Rapid DSG, just sold my 9 year old Skoda Laura.

The Skoda Laura was used for my kids School runs and other basic duties and was used by the driver.

The Rapid is used by me and my Dad mostly.

The Creta was purchased mainly for my wife but we end up using this car for any family outings in the city and/or some small trips out.
some serious thought process required or may be not. I would first look for a school for my son closer than my office, if not would have to look forward to relocate near a good school. Its just me though. Anyway, in your case your child need the safest car possible for commute.

Again its a need vs want choice. Your need is very clear, taking the whole family out together, not sure how often you do that but whenever you do you will prefer such arrangement. Innova it is. Half the maintenance and super build quality as well.

regarding vRS, you can later trade off creta for new GTI, a seriously hot hatch.
Mission_PGPX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2018, 20:39   #160
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia vRS vs Innova vs Audi / BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
I see absolutely no value in cars like the 3 series and especially the A4 for a family man.

I am a huge advocate of having a full sized M/SUV in the garage. The sheer practicality and flexibility they offer, whether it is with regards to taking holidays with family or doing airport runs, A sedan, a hatchback for daily use(Creta) and now something big with 7 seats. It's the ideal garage. If you find the Innova boring, you can always consider something like the Hexa or Kodiaq or Endeavor, depending on how much you want to spend and how much space you need.
Yep thats why the confusion, the practicality of the Innova cannot be ignored, but the VRS is just a special car which can also accomodate the luggage for those airport runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Let me add to your confusion!

Do take a test drive of the AT version. It comes with a bigger 2.8L engine and propels this van in ways that shouldn't happen.

Unfortunately, if you decide to go for the Innova AT, you'll have to be content with the base 2.8 G variant as thats the only AT version to come with 8 seats.
Have driven the 2.8 A/T, it certainly is no slouch, there is always power, yes the base version misses out on some features which cannot be bought, If I do go for this car I will most definitely go for 2.4 M/T as it gives me the added flexibility to give it to chauffer at a later stage. Don't want to spend the extra money and sacrifice the mileage for a chauffer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
a thought for you.

Skoda Rapid DSG - retain for school runs
Sell Creta AUTO and BUY a used Innova for once a year family runs
Buy a NEW VRS for yourself

A new VRS + a little bit difference in amount for used good condition Innova (previous gen) will be equal or lesser to a new German. Just thought of giving you a different perspective, if it helps

Swami
My thoughts exactly Just one change will look to sell the Rapid for the Innova whenever the EMI is over. Still confused whether purchase the Innova first or the VRS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
some serious thought process required or may be not. I would first look for a school for my son closer than my office, if not would have to look forward to relocate near a good school. Its just me though. Anyway, in your case your child need the safest car possible for commute.
Yes I completely agree, but the issue is that my house is bought and not rented so moving closer to the school becomes a little difficult, also we chose this place not knowing which school we would choose, as we bought it even before I was married. Also the School is on the verge to relocate closer to my house (time-wise, distance is same, a difference of 15mins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
Again its a need vs want choice. Your need is very clear, taking the whole family out together, not sure how often you do that but whenever you do you will prefer such arrangement. Innova it is. Half the maintenance and super build quality as well.

regarding vRS, you can later trade off creta for new GTI, a seriously hot hatch.
Yep your thoughts are practical and definitely most likely scenario, have to do something about that itch for the VRS

On a seperate note went for a Car Test Drive Spree to please the wifey.

Have to give it to Audi for their promptness and back to back testdrives the same day to my house even-though my house is not exactly close to their showroom.

Audi A4: The new Audi A4 pleasantly surprised me, packed with features and drive was so much better than their outgoing model, especially in dynamic the feedback was definitely there. Felt like riding on carpet in comfort mode. S-Tronic is good. He is supposed to comeback to me with the offer for the petrol variant which he says he will match to my budget.

Audi A6: This is on the verge of discontinuation, hence he has giving me a discount 8-10 lakhs straight, it had the Air-Suspension and mind-blowing Bose speakers. Nice legroom at the back, but boy is this car meant only for chauffers, completely wooden even in dynamic mode, but it never felt that there was lack of power, it definitely felt a generation old.

Audi A5: This car is special, not worth the price but definitely stands out, they had launched the diesel variant and it had a slight sportscar feel with the frameless Doors. Almost the same legroom as the A4, but the front seats hugged you nicely, anyone looking for a car in this range should definitely check this car out, but why anyone would chose this car over the 5 series beats me.

BMW 5 series: Again good service from BMW, their follow-up with back-to-back testdrives was appreciated, again they offered for the 5 series around 7 lakhs straight of the showroom price, but still even-though I loved this car, this is way out of my budget. Also the can't believe a car of this segment had cheap feeling plastic on the interiors.

Overall the finance options available for these Germans do make you feel that it is easy to own these cars, but still with a practical mind it would be better avoid them unless you can maintain them with no real issues.

Requested Gurudev for a testdrive for the VRS, and no surprises they have none also no demo vehicle to see the car, only promise was that whenever there would be a delivery I could come and see the car.

For Now still confused between the VRS and Innova, unless the Audi guy gives me a crazy deal on the A4.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th May 2018 at 07:10. Reason: Smileys = 2 per post. Please stick to the rules. Thanks!
xtremeshock is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2018, 19:47   #161
BHPian

Quote:
unless the Audi guy gives me a crazy deal on the A4.
Ok Guys the Financial Team from Audi had paid us a visit this is what he had to offer us.

A4 Petrol: 44 Lakhs on road Tamil Nadu with 2 year maintenance and 1 year Insurance included.

A4 Diesel: 46 Lakhs on road Tamil Nadu with 2 year maintenance and 1 year Insurance included.

Do you guys think this is a good deal or I can squeeze them for more?

These cars do make me think how much value for money Skoda is though.
Old 25th May 2018, 20:30   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ok Guys the Financial Team from Audi had paid us a visit this is what he had to offer us.

A4 Petrol: 44 Lakhs on road Tamil Nadu with 2 year maintenance and 1 year Insurance included.

A4 Diesel: 46 Lakhs on road Tamil Nadu with 2 year maintenance and 1 year Insurance included.

These cars do make me think how much value for money Skoda is though.
Absolutely. Skoda's VFM quotient is undeniable when you compare with the Germans. The Superb is essentially the A6 wearing different clothes. Best luxury car experience without breaking your bank, relatively
Old 25th May 2018, 21:06   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are my thoughts: A luxury car is something you should buy only if you are absolutely thrilled with the experience. It makes no sense to buy one basis the best discounts on offer because after spending so much - it needs to make you feel like it's worth the money you've spent on it!
So while checking out the A4, a brilliant car no doubt, I'd also ask you to see other contenders like the 3GT & the X1. In fact the X1 with it's compact dimensions, adequate space, good GC (relative to A4), and practicality may make it a good choice for out of town trips as compared to the Creta as it would not only be safer, but also more engaging to drive than the Creta.

If however you want to reward yourself with a driver's car - the vRS is it! IMO it drives better than a stock F30 3 series (due to stiffer suspension), is more nimble in the city, and more practical.

Balancing both of these and your requirements would be cars like the Kodiaq / Tiguan. The Kodiaq in particular, though down on power and a little over-priced, is a brilliant car that will make you question whether the brand value of a much smaller Audi/BMW is actually worth it. It has the features, it has the kit, it has the practicality, and it has the space. Interiors won't be as swanky, and it won't feel as special - but it will make up for it in other areas.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2018, 21:57   #164
BHPian

I would get my self a Jeep Wrangler and spend the balance amount on a commuter for running daily errands
Old 25th May 2018, 22:42   #165
Senior - BHPian

Just because I have 30 Lakhs, I wouldn't just go and buy one of those cbu German cars, as I don't want my car joy to be short lived till something goes wrong with it and super expensive repairs and spares will force me to abondon it like so many have done all over the country.

My choice will be limited to cars that are manufactured in India and are repairable and serviceable at reasonable prices in India. So a Fortuner or an Endeavor make most sense to me.

Last edited by SPARKled : 25th May 2018 at 23:04.

Most Viewed