Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2014, 20:24   #31
BHPian

Re: If you got Rs. 30 Lakhs to blow on a new car, what would you do?

If I had 30L to spend on cars, I would go for a used (but relatively new) BMW 3 Series and a premium hatchback like new (upcoming) Jazz. I will probably end up with some money left for insurance and maintenance.
altius is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 21:15   #32
Senior - BHPian

I guess there is no single answer to this question but I will try to put forward my opinion!

What car depends on
  • How long you are planning to keep the car
  • How much will you clock before selling it off
  • What kind of car you need
  • Is resale value considered as an important aspect
Personally I would get the VW Jetta for its ride,handling,looks, rear seat comfort and the 2L TDI motor. Would sell it off and upgrade after 6 or 7 years.
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 21:45   #33
Senior - BHPian

I would go for
Audi A4.
Or
A VW Jetta TDi DSG. and a VW Polo Tsi.
Or
A Toyota Fortuner and a Ford Figo TDCi.
Or
A Skoda Superb and a Hyundai i20.
Old 4th May 2014, 21:46   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post

And please read my first post.

I am in favour of buying that one 30L car. The experience is unmatched. For any person willing to spend 30L, the cars from lower segment just don't make a sense. That is why I choose the 3 in the end ( or had choose the Fortuner before the BMW came into the picture).

At the end of the day we all must agree on one basic point. There will always be a difference in terms of quality, car's handling, gear box, engine specifications, badge value etc in two cars from different segments. That is the reason why the car in the higher segment is priced like that and is still selling. So anyone contemplating this 1 car vs 2 car thought, would have to make that decision to compromise on the above aspects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
+1 to that.
We can work out numerous permutations and combinations to spend that 30 lakhs, but IMHO none will match a 3/C/A4 in your driveway. Reliability & Service costs be damned.

But here in bangalore even the 30 lakhs won't get you the basic version of the german trio

So it is all so clear then.
Whichever combo one chooses, none can hope to match the overall excitement, driving dynamics, the craftsmanship of the premium German cars.

But what if a driving enthusiast simply refuses to buy a 3/C/A4 as their only car for the fear of exorbitant maintenance costs and repair bills. This is especially the case when one has a family. They cannot selfishly indulge in their passion like a wealthy single guy would.

Is there any hope for such guys who are true car nuts all the way to their core but can't take the risks because of their families?

Is there any sweet spot that they can achieve by looking at reliable alternatives from segments below? (A competent Luxo Barge + a true driver's delight)

I am asking from a pure driving pleasure's point of view.
Old 4th May 2014, 22:17   #35
Senior - BHPian

If I had 30L to spend on a new car, I would gamble a bit; put aside my Skoda bashing behaviour for a while, listen straight to my heart & in the end take the Skoda Octavia only as my daily drive for 22-24L and keep the rest aside for the Skoda maintenance and DSG craps that would happen in a few years!

Crazy Plan B: If the plan wasn't only for cars, I would buy an Alto 800 and an Activa; and invest the remainder in some good scheme or plan or mutual fund and the stock market. But this is my idea, I think the OP intends that we spend the 30L in only cars!

Last edited by W.A.G.7 : 4th May 2014 at 22:24. Reason: Crazy plan B added
W.A.G.7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 22:40   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Just want to get one thing clarified here: All the people who are picking up Jettas and Octavias are basically saying that if asked to choose between a 3 series and a Jetta, you will pick the Jetta? Because money is not an issue here. The thread title clearly states you got 30L to blow on a new car ( so we are already assuming you are rich enough). So given that premise, you guys are going to choose a Jetta/Octavia over a 3/A4/C?

Then again few people have mentioned they will choose a Skoda/VW and after 5 years upgrade to another car. Upgrade to what? And why? Are you choosing the Skoda/VW right now because you are thinking of your current financial worth? If yes, then you again misinterpreted the gist of the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
Surprising your avatar is still your Corolla, All said and done Japs do leave a lasting impression don't they bro.
Haha that is only because it is currently my daily drive. The day I get back to Delhi, it is all going to change.

Last edited by drmohitg : 4th May 2014 at 22:45.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 23:13   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

If I had 30L, I would most definitely pick up:
- a pre-owned E90/E60 320D/530D - remapped for around 20L
- a pre-owned Octavia vRS + Mods - around 5L
- look around for a sparingly used Toyota Etios/Liva to ferry me around to those places I wouldn't dare take any of the above to.

If the choice was limited to new cars:
- A Superb 1.8 TSi M/T to avoid the gearbox issues, and leave potential for mods
- A toyota Liva 1.5 GD SP
Yes, I would not buy a pure German, just because the Superb (remapped) absolutely annihilates a 320D Basline/A4/C220 (just because the base models are all that would fit in the budget) except probably at speeds higher than 170kmph / twisties (RWD 3/C) / really rough roads (C Class).
Yes, I would lose out on the exceptional build quality - but the Superb is pretty damn tough.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 23:29   #38
BHPian

I'd buy the following definitely:

1)Polo gt tdi
2)XUV500

And a nano. ;-)
Old 4th May 2014, 23:34   #39
BHPian

If I had 30 lac, I would buy :

1. Skoda Superb Ambition 1.8 TSI MT - Price 21 lac (on road)

2. Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4 - 8 lac (on road)

I guess living in Haryana helps ( Government share is comparatively lower )

This way I can enjoy the smoothness of Superb and raw brute power of a Mahindra diesel. I can race to Rajasthan (Superb) or slowly enjoy Ladakh (Thar)

What a beautiful Fantasy
Old 4th May 2014, 23:38   #40
BHPian

How about these combo..
A tata safari storme.
A renault fluence as the daily drive
if any left over money, an activa for short trips !

Or
Fortuner plus brio AT/ grand i10.

Or
New octavia plus thar.

I wouldnt go with the big germans simply because the maintenance question for 7 years. Head over heart decision.
Old 4th May 2014, 23:39   #41
BANNED

1)If you love cars buy one of the 3 Germans (you'll need a loan too as you won't get any of them for 30L).
Old 5th May 2014, 00:13   #42
BHPian

If I had to "blow" those 30 lakhs, and IF the to be launched new C-class would fit in my budget then I would definitely go for it, even if it is the base model.

A person, who is ready to spend such an amount for a car will definitely be having a car or two in his garage at the present moment. So, adding two more to the line up will not only eat up more parking space, but also more time will be spent maintaining them both. One can just not expect to treat the costlier car(Octavia, Jetta, Fortuner etc.) more and ignore the other(i20, Polo, Figo etc.).

Its like bringing up kids, you will have to spend time for taking care of both.
I would rather take care of one new car than looking after two new ones.

OK, now someone would say, what if you get a "German Lemon"? If it happens then, one would have to spend more time and money maintaining that one car than the combined time and money which would be involved in maintaining two cars. So, many permutations at play here, but I would trust BMW/Mercedes more than Audi and would definitely go for the 3'er or the C.

-Bhargav
Old 5th May 2014, 01:04   #43
Senior - BHPian

It is no rocket science dude.. if you have 30 lacs or slightly more, and you are a Team -BHPian, it would be a blasphemy if you don't go for a 3. However, do make sure, you have another car for daily ride (read it as 'reliable') from the Japanese/Hyundai stables (because you sure won't take the costly German everywhere).

If you are a family person, practical thinking and have no prejudice on brands, opt for an European crossover + Japanese C Sedan. (eg. a Skoda Yeti 4x4 elegance for highways + a Honda City CVT for city running).
Old 5th May 2014, 08:53   #44
Senior - BHPian

Buy a 30 Lakh+ car, and also buy a Maruti 800 which can be given to your driver for daily use. Most of your daily errands can be done with the Maruti 800. It won't hurt you even if your driver batters the Maruti 800.
Old 5th May 2014, 12:34   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
But what if a driving enthusiast simply refuses to buy a 3/C/A4 as their only car for the fear of exorbitant maintenance costs and repair bills. This is especially the case when one has a family.
Is there any hope for such guys who are true car nuts all the way to their core but can't take the risks because of their families?
Very well said. As a primary car and only car in the family, please stay away from the premium Germans. Read the ordeal of my 320d's maiden voyage with family here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3427047

Apart from that these cars are not suitable for many areas in the cities with ultra dense traffic and lack of parking spaces. You will have a harrowing time in such places.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks