Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2014, 12:44   #46
BHPian

Re: If you got Rs. 30 Lakhs to blow on a new car, what would you do?

Luxury is for wussies. Invest the 30L and buy a safe car from the interest earned.
Old 5th May 2014, 13:17   #47
BHPian

This is how i would spend 30 Lakhs:
  • Keep my existing hatch for city use. Give it a much required ICE upgrade.
  • Buy a additional parking space for approximately 3 lakhs.
  • Buy a Toyota Fortuner.
Old 5th May 2014, 13:45   #48
BHPian

I would have straightaway imported a Hyundai Genesis Coupe but the prices are marginally higher :(

Even the base Mini will be out of the budget :(

Leaves me with either a Skoda Superb or

Polo GT TSi with Endeavour possibly!

Come to think of it, why not try buying a DC Avanti, The money is to be splurged any way...
Old 5th May 2014, 13:58   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

I would buy a fully loaded Honda City and pocket rest of the cash!
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2014, 15:43   #50
BHPian

Quite an interesting thread I must say! I do have the Fortuner + GT TDi combo which quite a few of the folk out here in T-BHP covet as a good spend of 30L. And both these cars were purchased just a year apart from eachother so stretching the budget for a German in 2012 wouldn't have been an issue for us at all.

Heck our Cruze and Fortuner were purchased just 6 months from eachother. My point being, Our family was never enticed by this segment of the A4/3-series/C-Class. Its not as roomy as dad's fortuner to be chauffeur driven in, and its not as practical or reliable as the japs and coming from a family of 5 of which all are drivers. Having separate cars just adds convenience. Though I agree this is not exactly environmentally feasable.

You would buy a car from this segment if your primary requirements/concerns are badge value & marginally better performance (for which also the new Octy TSi blows the A4 out of the water completely). BMW & Merc can boast their RWD/performance and the fact that they are a BMW and a Mercedes Benz.

I'd rather wait for finances to be in place and jump to the segment above which would be the A6/5-series/E-Class. And we did too, only to find ourselves in wrong timing so we had to pull back in 2012.

Regards,
n:CorE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2014, 15:46   #51
BHPian

Interesting proposition Nakul.
When it comes to cars, one generally feels that the more you have the better. You'll always have multiple optionsto choose from if you go for more than one car.
However there is also a catch 22 situation leaving you perplexed as to which one you would be using most often.
the other factor to consider is the usage. If you have more than one family member using the car, then it makes sense to go for 2 cars, else the other way around seems to be abetter option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
Or is it better if one decides to buy two cars for 30 lakhs instead like an Accord and a Polo GT TDI ?
In my humble opinion, splashing money on multiple cars does not make sense as this would offset your budget in the long run if you intend to keep both the cars for a period of more than 5 years each.

Quote:
Will the cost of maintenance be the same on both the options?

Is the peace of mind one achieve by buying two cheaper cars enough to offset the loss of driving pleasure and badge snobbery?
Maintenance costs would surely differ and these would multiply the longer the cars stay in your stable.
Along with that you would also have to contend with the offshoot in fuel prices (they don't seem to be coming down any time soon) and road taxes plus other octroi costs.
A cheaper option doesn't necessarily amount to loss of driving pleasure.
maverick.munish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2014, 18:49   #52
BHPian

If I were to blow 30 lac on a ride, I'd buy a VW Polo Gt tdi for a hatch or a Chevy Cruze for a sedan (Both are beasts in their segments ) and spend the rest of the cash on modding my ride and its maintenance.
Car_Freak_911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2014, 20:14   #53
Senior - BHPian

I'll keep my Honda City for use in town and buy an SUV, maybe the Audi Q3, BMW X1 or the Ssangyong Rexton for long trips (wallow in the delicious dilemma for a while savouring the exquisite feeling before deciding).
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2014, 20:44   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
I'll keep my Honda City for use in town and buy an SUV, maybe the Audi Q3, BMW X1 or the Ssangyong Rexton for long trips (wallow in the delicious dilemma for a while savouring the exquisite feeling before deciding).
Oh yes we all know that wondeful feeling while choosing between cars before making the final purchase. Wish we could do it more often, doesn't it?

Sticking with SUV's. What about the X trail? Is Nissan still selling them? I haven't heard anybody mention anything about it in any forums. That's funny because it has got rave reviews everywhere else. What seems to be the problem? Does anyone have a clue?
Old 5th May 2014, 21:02   #55
BHPian

Hey Nakul

Quote:
Sticking with SUV's. What about the X trail? Is Nissan still selling them? I haven't heard anybody mention anything about it in any forums. That's funny because it has got rave reviews everywhere else. What seems to be the problem? Does anyone have a clue?
I believe Nissan has stopped selling the X-trail and another one of their cars.. Read it on one of the forums here itself.
Probably one of the over priced choices that Nissan did away with in the Indian market....
Old 5th May 2014, 21:12   #56
BHPian

it would be a skoda yeti and a polo tsi for me.

Almost the best of both worlds for me. if the yeti came with the 170bhp engine and dsg gearbox it would be an added bonus.
Old 5th May 2014, 22:33   #57
Senior - BHPian

I have an interesting option!!

Why cant you have a Pre-owned Badge Car (read Merc / BMW / Audi) and a brand new Honda / Toyota (for reliability)
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 00:57   #58
BHPian

For me, as a primary car, it has to be a Jap SUV and as a second fun/luxury car, it will be a fast german.
So, i bought Pajero Sport last october over x1/q3/3/c. But, if i decide to buy a second fun/luxury car, it will be a 3/c/q5 3.0/x3 3.0 for sure.
Old 6th May 2014, 02:09   #59
BHPian

Oh that is a nice coincidence. The OP's question describes my current dilemma. But in my case, I am not looking for a car/SUV to take me from point A to B. For that I have options in my garage.

What I want is something I can drive just to so I can drive, if you know what I mean. Unfortunately, for the 30L price point, there are almost no options.

I was only seriously considering 2 cars - Cooper S or the 500 Abarth but the Cooper is just too damn expensive and so I end up with the 500 whenever Fiat decides to sell those in India.

Any suggestions? Or options I have not considered?
mnrvokk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 05:48   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh yes we all know that wondeful feeling while choosing between cars before making the final purchase. Wish we could do it more often, doesn't it?
Yes it really is a wonderful feeling. And having 30 lacs to blow up would make it even more special. Stuff of my dreams.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks