Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2014, 08:06   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: If you got Rs. 30 Lakhs to blow on a new car, what would you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnrvokk View Post
What I want is something I can drive just to so I can drive, if you know what I mean. Unfortunately, for the 30L price point, there are almost no options.
You didn't like the 3 series?
Old 6th May 2014, 09:58   #62
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Pure German luxury starts with the E Class & 5 Series. The 30 lakh Germans (C Class, 3 Series, A4) are easily beaten by cheaper cars on a variety of factors. I say this after having had extensive experience with the C220. Badge aside, there's nothing truly luxurious about 4 cylinder engines & cramped cabins. If you're looking for absolute Euro luxury, start with 50 lakhs in your pocket and look at the 6 cylinders. Unless of course, you're open to pre-worshipped rides

If I wanted to spend 30 lakhs right now (to add a car to my existing garage), I'd probably pick a pre-worshipped sedan / coupe / SUV. Someone on this thread mentioned the beauty of pre-worshipped Porsches. I couldn't agree more . When the Mini Cooper S' start hitting the used market, they will make for a tempting proposition too. A Cooper S on a fast ghat road is as much fun as a Ferrari. Plus, with the money left over, you could get a Superbike!
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 10:29   #63
BHPian

Very interesting topic ... Personally I would buy a Harley Soft tail & a Yeti. But if I had to absolutely comply with your conditions of 2 cars then. Punto 90hp ( I have owned one for 4 years now) because I can't think of anything more reliable & a Yeti again.

The public desperately needs a reliable, tough as a nail, well engineered 14 - 18 Lakh SUV doesn't it.
Old 6th May 2014, 10:51   #64
Team-BHP Support

A pre-worshipped Volvo S60 T6. If I can find an owner who is willing to dispose one off i.e.

I had a chance to briefly experience BHP’ian kau_therock’s 300 hp monster last month. Completely blown away by the quality of the equipment, plastics, leather, wood trims and safety features offered in the car. If fuel economy isn’t a big deal, this would be one hell of a car to drive on good roads and expressways.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 12:57   #65
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
A pre-worshipped Volvo S60 T6. If I can find an owner who is willing to dispose one off
Haha, nice pick! The T6 is more BMW than Volvo when it comes to driving pleasure. We had a great 2-day testdrive in one. Best part is, Volvo + poor fuel economy = shockingly low resale (that's if you find one on sale in the first place).

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Just want to get one thing clarified here: All the people who are picking up Jettas and Octavias are basically saying that if asked to choose between a 3 series and a Jetta, you will pick the Jetta?
An incredibly important feature that the Jetta / Octavia have, and the 3 Series / C Class lack, is a manual transmission.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 13:19   #66
BHPian

I would buy the Fortuner as I love the behemoth looks.
If I have to buy two vehicles, then I would buy a Safari Storme and with the left over cash a Harley or a Triumph!
Old 6th May 2014, 13:23   #67
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnrvokk View Post
What I want is something I can drive just to so I can drive, if you know what I mean. Unfortunately, for the 30L price point, there are almost no options.

I was only seriously considering 2 cars - Cooper S or the 500 Abarth but the Cooper is just too damn expensive and so I end up with the 500 whenever Fiat decides to sell those in India.

Any suggestions? Or options I have not considered?
A Laura VRS with stage 3 and suspension mods might be as good to drive as Cooper.
Old 6th May 2014, 15:04   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Pure German luxury starts with the E Class & 5 Series. The 30 lakh Germans (C Class, 3 Series, A4) are easily beaten by cheaper cars on a variety of factors. I say this after having had extensive experience with the C220. Badge aside, there's nothing truly luxurious about 4 cylinder engines & cramped cabins. If you're looking for absolute Euro luxury, start with 50 lakhs in your pocket and look at the 6 cylinders. Unless of course, you're open to pre-worshipped rides

If I wanted to spend 30 lakhs right now (to add a car to my existing garage), I'd probably pick a pre-worshipped sedan / coupe / SUV. Someone on this thread mentioned the beauty of pre-worshipped Porsches. I couldn't agree more . When the Mini Cooper S' start hitting the used market, they will make for a tempting proposition too. A Cooper S on a fast ghat road is as much fun as a Ferrari. Plus, with the money left over, you could get a Superbike!
Precisely my point! True German luxury starts at that segment. Long and sleek looking limos with a creamy 6-cylinders under the hood purring you along the streets of the city in a sumptuous, stylish and relaxing manner and blazing the highway when you are behind the wheel.

Throwing in a pre-worshipped Cooper S to the mix! Now that would be something, eh? Say this thread was a brilliant idea!
n:CorE is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 15:54   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
You didn't like the 3 series?
It is not that I do not like the 3 series but as a car that will be purely used just to Hoon, seems like overkill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
A Laura VRS with stage 3 and suspension mods might be as good to drive as Cooper.
There are no cars in mid-range price range if you just want to have fun without getting your hands dirty with mods or upgrades. Or is there?

Last edited by mobike008 : 6th May 2014 at 16:05. Reason: merging posts
Old 6th May 2014, 16:21   #70
BHPian

I think it is first necessary to decide whether there's a need to have 2 cars. All said and done, maintaining 2 different cars is always going to suck more of your resources in terms of both money and energy than one car.

In addition, in most cases (especially in stock condition), a Rs. 30 lakh is going to give you greater pleasure in all aspects than either the approx Rs. 20 lakh car + Rs. 10 lakh. Though this view won't hold good if say you like some off-roading, in that case get an Octavia for Rs. 21 lakh or so and a Mahindra Thar. Here the sum of your pleasure is indeed going to be greater than buying a 3 series or equivalent because Octavia or equivalent will do more or less everything your 3 series (or rather A4) will do and Thar does what neither of them can do. Also, if you do require 2 normal cars at home, then you will have to get 2 normal road cars within the Rs. 30 lakh.

So first you got to evaluate what you are looking for and hence there is no specific correct answer to your question.

As for myself, I would get a really good tourer bike, a decent car of not more than Rs. 10-12 lakhs and the remaining money on sensible modifications to the bike and better riding gear and if money is still left and I really want to spend it, then donate the money.

Last edited by Karthik Mathur : 6th May 2014 at 16:47. Reason: more points
Old 6th May 2014, 17:40   #71
Senior - BHPian

If I had to spend 30 L on the car, I would have got:
  1. Brio-AT and a Jetta Tdi.
  2. Brio-AT and an Innova with Pilot seats.
  3. Eco-sport and Jetta Tdi.
  4. Fully loaded Golf Tdi (Rumored to be launched in India in the near future) and the remaining 30% in stock.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 20:07   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

My picks will be-

Fiat Linea Tjet (For the smooth highway runs)
It will replace my current Etios petrol.

Will wait for Renault to launch the Duster 110 4WD/AWD. (For the long trips plus to encounter the bad roads or off roads.)

With the remaining 4-5 lakhs will pick up a Ninja 300. (Oh yes am still a biker by heart!)
It will replace my current Hero Honda Karizma R.

Will retain the Alto K10 for the congested city drives and cramped parking spaces. This pocket rocket is always fun in the city.

I just stated the above based on the 'IF' i get 30 Lakhs. At the end am not getting 30 Lakhs so will continue with what i have.
Samba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 20:26   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
If I had to spend 30 L on the car, I would have got:
  1. Brio-AT and a Jetta Tdi.
  2. Brio-AT and an Innova with Pilot seats.
  3. Eco-sport and Jetta Tdi.
  4. Fully loaded Golf Tdi (Rumored to be launched in India in the near future) and the remaining 30% in stock.
Isn't the Golf tdi just a Jetta tdi without the boot?
So even when fully loaded it should be less than a fully loaded Jetta, isn't it?

Or is it the Golf GTI that is going to be launched here? If that is the case then India is going to get its first true hot hatch from VW. I will surely put my money down for that one.
Old 6th May 2014, 20:44   #74
Team-BHP Support

My decision is a simple. If I had 30L to spend, I would look at a practical car that can be driven everyday without a worry.

The German trio of BMW/Audi/Merc may offer superior driving pleasure but I cannot stand the fact that these are not practical cars that can be driven without tension on our roads. Moreover the service bills are nothing sort of scary.

Which leaves me with my current favourite car, the VW Jetta Highline DSG.

I remember GTO mentioning that the Jetta can do 85% of the 3 series at 50% the price.

You get practicality along with ease of an automatic in city, a brilliant chasis with class leading handling and plush ride, coupled with a potent 2L engine that is fuel efficient and very capable in performance.
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 20:58   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
My decision is a simple. If I had 30L to spend, I would look at a practical car that can be driven everyday without a worry.

The German trio of BMW/Audi/Merc may offer superior driving pleasure but I cannot stand the fact that these are not practical cars that can be driven without tension on our roads. Moreover the service bills are nothing sort of scary.

Which leaves me with my current favourite car, the VW Jetta Highline DSG.

For all those rejecting the big 3 for VW / Skoda, personally I don't see how the VW / Skoda stable are any better on reliability than merc, BMW or Audi. They're just as unreliable if not even more and probably have much worse levels of service. You on spend less admittedly but you're not gaining on the reliability / cost of ownership front unless you opt for perhaps the Jap options.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks