Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2014, 00:21   #121

Re: If you got Rs. 30 Lakhs to blow on a new car, what would you do?

With 30 lakhs to spend I will wait for the new Skoda Yeti. Will use the balance 7-8 lakhs to go for a real long road trip.
ummieg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2014, 08:48   #122

Well, like many already said, no two badges are same, especially when you are looking at cars in front and backyard of 30L figure.

I have driven close to 40 different makes/models when I was working in US and owned 2 premium brands - Acura and BMW.
Acura is the premium offering from Honda. I've owned a TSX for about an year and didn't feel good about it. It had everything I needed yet there was some void. I sold it off and bout a BMW 330i. TSX that I sold had 20k miles on the odo, 330i had 80k when I bought.

Almost all my friends thought I was insane. I was not, at least the enthusiast in me wasn't. This 6 yr old Beemer with 80k miles on the odo looked performed like new.

I am not even talking about different segments, its about two different premium products!!

My point is, Beemers, Mercs and Audis didn't get a reputation just like that.
What they offer on the tap is in a different league altogether.

Thats my experience in US, now look at our Indian market and the offerings here. The millionaires and billionaires of the world demand quality but the creamy layer in out desi crowd dont have that luxury, its the aam janta that has the power to demand. I am talking about cars and cars alone, nothing else.
What I mean by this is, buying a premium brand in India is a sweet experience, owning it and maintaining it is not the same. Owning and maintaining the offerings from a B-segment and C-segment are a much better experience than the premium products.

You literally get robbed if you want to own a premium offering just for the sake of snob value

It is for this reason, I never even thought of owning any premium brand here. Of course I dream of getting an X1 or X3 or an X5 gifted

Give me 30L and I would buy the following:
Skoda Rapid Ultima Ambition 1.6 MPI AT Plus or an Suzuki SX4 ZDi for all my daily chores (both of them are around 11L)

And
A Ford Endeavour 2.5L 4x2 for highway run / vacations etc, which costs around 24L

BTW, I dont think none of the your premium selections are for 30L on road, you got to add another 10% to it I guess

Another point is if you are not averse to buying used, you could use the same 30L and buy 2 premium products that are around 3 yrs old
OffDaBeemer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2014, 20:07   #123

Hello everybody, my first post on t-bhp.
Ever since i came across this thread, i have been seriously hooked for it is a really interesting question and really makes me go all dreamy!
Had my heart set on a pair of cars and even after solid contemplation my choices haven't changed.
For me its gonna be
1. A Skoda Yeti as my primary drive to office, in city and spirited highway drives.
2. 8th gen Honda Civic as my luxurious ride when i just want to lose myself in my place of zen and peace.

I have been an avid admirer of both the cars and thinking of just having them both in my garage just uplifts me..
Please share your thoughts
Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 19:14   #124
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh.m06 View Post
I haven't driven any of these 3 vehicles but before putting my money down, i would surely look forward for a very thorough test drive. I would be pleased if teambhp could bring up a detailed review of the new facelifted Koleos. In the most recent review of the facelifted Fluence, I could see the new Koleos in the background in one of the pictures, I was expecting that Koleos' review would be added anytime soon but its not up yet. Being an admin, you could tell if the review would be coming anytime soon? I'm eagerly waiting
You can find the review over here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-facelift.html
Old 21st May 2014, 19:35   #125
BHPian

A Satin White XUV 5oo W8

A Bossa Nova White Linea T-jet+

Rest few Lakhs for fun with Linea and incurring petrol expenses
Old 17th June 2014, 20:51   #126
E63
BANNED

Tata Xenon for off road + travel (15 Lakh)

If you got Rs. 30 Lakhs to blow on a new car, what would you do?-tataxenonspecimg.jpg

Pete's Polo 200+ BHP (15 Lakh)

If you got Rs. 30 Lakhs to blow on a new car, what would you do?-imageresizer.ashxnhttp3a2f2fi.haymarket.net.au2ffeatures2f_dsc8048.jpg
Old 17th June 2014, 23:06   #127
Senior - BHPian

30 lakh gets us nothing really except entry level luxury or top models of D segment sedans. 66 lakh Audi TT and then we are talking!
Old 18th June 2014, 09:25   #128
BHPian

If you got Rs. 30 Lakhs to blow on a new car, what would you do?

If we could buy a Mercedes for 30laks then we would have bought the new C-Class! But C -Class at 30laks may never happen, instead we bought a Jetta Highline DSG and trying to figure out how to spend the other 8 lacks ( Polo or the New Punto May be)

Last edited by Amarendranath : 18th June 2014 at 09:30.
Old 18th June 2014, 09:52   #129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
30 lakh gets us nothing really except entry level luxury or top models of D segment sedans. 66 lakh Audi TT and then we are talking!
Is that a bad thing? I don't find anything particularly wrong with those entry level luxury cars or top-end D-segment sedans
Old 18th June 2014, 12:07   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Is that a bad thing? I don't find anything particularly wrong with those entry level luxury cars or top-end D-segment sedans
Applying same logic there is nothing wrong with top-end B-segment hatches and entry level C-segment cars. It just depends on where you are looking from.
Old 18th June 2014, 14:04   #131
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Applying same logic there is nothing wrong with top-end B-segment hatches and entry level C-segment cars. It just depends on where you are looking from.
Well, its all in relative terms right? One man's luxury maybe peanuts for the other.
For me the definition of luxury, safety etc. within the said budget comes with those top-end D-segment or entry level models from the big 3 Germans. The current crop of top-end B-segment hatchbacks or entry-level C-segment cars sadly does not offer that.
Obviously there are more desirable machines if money is not an issue.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 15:03   #132
Senior - BHPian

To be honest for me the entry level luxury cars offer nothing more then the badge, and the D segment cars leave a lot to be desired. For e.g. for 22 lakhs OTR Bangalore you get a Skoda Octavia DSG Ambition that doesn't have bi-xenon projectors??? Or for 21 lakhs you get Toyota Corolla VL-AT. These are not desirable cars as per me.

The Indian market is indeed sad for car enthusiasts. Of course there is a lot more choice then there was, but the prices are simply too high for whats on offer!
Old 18th June 2014, 18:32   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To be honest for me the entry level luxury cars offer nothing more then the badge, and the D segment cars leave a lot to be desired. For e.g. for 22 lakhs OTR Bangalore you get a Skoda Octavia DSG Ambition that doesn't have bi-xenon projectors??? Or for 21 lakhs you get Toyota Corolla VL-AT. These are not desirable cars as per me.
The D-segment is where it all begins mate Safety, power, dynamics, looks, comfort and features. Most D segment sedans try offering the entire package. If you are going to sit and bicker about bi-xenons, then what's to stop people from complaining that their 7 series doesn't come with a burmester sound system and magic body control? Cumon man!
Old 18th June 2014, 18:36   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
The D-segment is where it all begins mate Safety, power, dynamics, looks, comfort and features. Most D segment sedans try offering the entire package. If you are going to sit and bicker about bi-xenons, then what's to stop people from complaining that their 7 series doesn't come with a burmester sound system and magic body control? Cumon man!
The lights of Skoda Octavia Ambition remind me of Wagon R & thats not even the worst part. The fact you don't get basic features like cruise control, native USB playback, paddle shifts and the list goes on and on. I am not even bring Jetta/Corolla into the picture as they are even worse. Imagine spending 21 lakhs on Corolla for a puny 88 bhp engine.

The point that I was cribbing about is that even at close to 22 lakhs we have so many compromises that we need to make. Its not like you have 30 lakhs and you can get your dream car. The dream range begins on the north of 50 lakhs I believe!

P.S. Even Tata Bolt has projector headlamps for crying out loud!

Last edited by aseem : 18th June 2014 at 18:45.
Old 18th June 2014, 19:03   #135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The lights of Skoda Octavia Ambition remind me of Wagon R & thats not even the worst part. The fact you don't get basic features like cruise control, native USB playback, paddle shifts and the list goes on and on. I am not even bring Jetta/Corolla into the picture as they are even worse. Imagine spending 21 lakhs on Corolla for a puny 88 bhp engine.
The BMW 1 series does not get front armrest for driver and gets no leather 2 30 lakhs.

The A180 CDI gets a massive 2.0L engine with only 107bhp @ 32 lakhs.

The Passat Trendline also does not get projector lights. The base model C class is also the same.

What I've realised is if you want a car that drives well you have to sacrifice features and if you want to buy any car from the german trio, you need to sacrifice space and features.

The Honda City has more features than the VW Jetta which is exactly twice the price but the difference between the 2 is chalk and cheese.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks