Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2014, 20:52   #1
BHPian

If you got Rs. 30 Lakhs to blow on a new car, what would you do?

Just Imagine that you have got 30 Lakhs to spend on your new car.

What would you do?

Will you take the plunge and go straight to the nearest BMW/AUDI/MERC dealership and get a 3series/A4/C class?

Or is it better if one decides to buy two cars for 30 lakhs instead like an Accord and a Polo GT TDI ?

Is it better to buy the posh German car and hope nothing goes wrong or is it better not to keep all the eggs in one basket and buy two cheaper competent alternatives instead?

Will the cost of maintenance be the same on both the options?

Is the peace of mind one achieve by buying two cheaper cars enough to offset the loss of driving pleasure and badge snobbery?

Keep in mind that whatever option you choose, you have to live with it for atleast 7-8 years. You can't change your car in between this period. Well not everyone of us can be a billionare now, can we?

Please do share your thoughts.
nakul0888 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 10:28   #2
BHPian

Re: If you got Rs. 30 Lakhs to blow on a new car, what would you do?

Pick your choice.

1) One of these three.

Name:  mercedesbenzcclassw205vsbmw3seriesf30vsaudia4b8photogallery_1.png
Views: 18348
Size:  390.9 KB

Or

2) One from among these

If you got Rs. 30 Lakhs to blow on a new car, what would you do?-dsc_0983_770500x266.jpg

Plus

One among these

If you got Rs. 30 Lakhs to blow on a new car, what would you do?-0_0_450_httpi.haymarket.net.aufeatures_dsc6003.jpg

(Also can anybody come up with any other better combo?)
nakul0888 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 12:26   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting thread. I went through this same dilemma a few months back when I had started my car hunt for a Fortuner vs a XUV500 + Polo GT. And truth be told, there is no correct answer to this eternal one car vs 2 cars question.

What I feel is that a Rs 10L C segment car of today is good for anything and everything that one needs or expects out of a car. They are powerful, spacious, loaded with all the features etc. So ideally speaking you don't need to spend anymore money. But when one decides to go above this segment, its more of splurging and pampering rather than necessity. And those things can never be had with the 2 cars from the lower segments.
Hence in your scenario if the person would have been willing to live with the Jetta/Octavia/Camry/Accord then he would not look to the 3/C/A4. Since he is willing to shell out 30L that means he wants the badge and the luxury feel associated with that. So my pick would be the one car from the 30L segment.
drmohitg is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 12:40   #4
D4D
BHPian

Why not a Fortuner + Swift combo?
The premium German cars are not as reliable as they should be. There quite a few breakdowns. Reference: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rman-cars.html

->Nobody spending INR 30 lakh wants a car that might just stop in the middle of the road (yes, they demand extreme reliability)

->If the plan is to keep a car for 5+ years, nobody wants high maintenance or bad ASS quality(VW, Skoda)

->Fortuner and Swift is the best combo IMHO

->If you're chauffeur driven, don't look beyond the Innova with 7-seater version and a Polo TSI (DSG concerns are there)

->If you're an enthusiast and are chauffeur driven more, maybe an Innova petrol? (It's lightning quick, and it's dynamics are car like)

->CR-V is a good option too and so it Santa Fe(if your requirement is a diesel)

->Reliability and ASS ignored, I think Superb is a great choice especially if a MUV is not in your books. Alternately, the camry is a superb choice too (though under-equipped)

And when you're spending INR 30 lakh for 1car(or 2 cars), you want some significant amount back when you sell them. Japanese cars have great value in the used market.
D4D is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 13:09   #5
BHPian

Hi quite an interesting topic. If one has 30 lakhs for a car and a back up car at home ( which will be the most probable scenario) then jus get the Audi/ Merc/ BMW. If there are no back up cars then get two SUV/hatch or SUV/sedan or sedan/hatch or sedan/sedan or hatch/hot hatch. Many choices available in the market though only few are desirable. As for me I will defenitely go for the new c class. I might have to stretch the 30 lakh budget though. But you live only once. The only hitch I find is to hold on to the car for 7-8 years. Even though it's very much possible I personally think any one who can afford 30 lakhs for a car now will have a bigger bank balance say 4-5 years down the line and the new car itch will hit him big time then.😀
surgvij is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 13:14   #6
BHPian

I would buy a Honda CRV as a primary car! And a Reva for completing chores around the neighbourhood. CRV offers best of a Car, best of an urban SUV, great reliability (no fear of hydrolocked engine like legendary Germans), lovable brand. Petrol / Diesel argument will be history soon after any new Govt kicks in.
anujatwork is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 13:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

I would buy an alternative in the D2 sedan segment and spend the extra cash on a sound processor, better headlamps, more power, stiffer ride and better brakes
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 13:35   #8
BHPian

I would pick the Octavia 1.8 Tsi and the City SV. However, this might be a shade more than 30L but a bit of bargaining with the dealers and the insurance folks should get it within striking range of 30L. If spending even a rupee more than 30L is an issue then I would get either a loaded Amaze automatic or a lower variant of the City.

That way I get a fun to drive car (Octavia) and also an extremely reliable car (Honda).
HKap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 13:44   #9
BHPian

See if you pick ze Germans, you will need another 30 laks just seeing the car through 7-8 years.
Go for a nice Jap and maybe a GT TDi and live happily ever after. Have a look at the Camry, quite a car. Or you can always go for the Fortuner. The Jetta/Octavia are same animals different clothes, moreover where is the flamboyance in rolling in a Jetta.

Arriving in a Camry/Fortuner, now not only you have style you like to keep your weekends for friends and family and not the service centers.
eq24 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 13:56   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post

Arriving in a Camry/Fortuner, now not only you have style you like to keep your weekends for friends and family and not the service centers.
The question here is not just about the Germans on the other side of 30L. It basically applies to any car costing 30L. Is it always wise to go for that car or rather settle for 2 cars from the segment below. Your 28L Fortuner can very well be replaced by a 16L XUV W8 AWD and a Polo GT/Honda city. Does the Fortuner still makes sense?

Similarly the 25L+ Camry/Accord can be replaced by a C+/D segment car plus a hatch. There are so many permutations and combinations at play here.

Last edited by drmohitg : 4th May 2014 at 14:21. Reason: text added.
drmohitg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 14:27   #11
BHPian

All depends on your usage. If you have lots of running in the city then something like a Toyota Fortuner / Superb + Celerio AMT or BRIO AT. If you do long drives more often then it's the 3 big Germans. I personally vouch for an A STAR AT within the city and a Toyota Fortuner 4*4 for out station and off road trips.

Last edited by moralfibre : 11th May 2014 at 21:41.
Old 4th May 2014, 14:45   #12
BANNED

I'd do an engine transplant, like say 1.6 MJD and upgrade the suspension, tyres, brakes. Subtle modifications to the looks.
With the rest money will buy a Tata Nano.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 4th May 2014 at 14:49.
Old 4th May 2014, 14:54   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Your 28L Fortuner can very well be replaced by a 16L XUV W8 AWD and a Polo GT/Honda city.
Bro, XUV isnt meant for someone who's mindset in in the 30L bracket. He would be expecting quality & comfort in font size 100 from his primary car whereas XUV is a Jalopy for that level of a guy. I test drove one a month back for my wife (who is chauffeured 100% of the time) & I realised the sheer depth of the rear seat is so short even for a small bum like me (64 Kgs only) that one is not comfortable at all, not to talk of high NVH & tacky plastics all around. No doubt XUV is a very good practical car but not for one who's mind is in 30L range.

I could be wrong though.
anujatwork is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 15:00   #14
Senior - BHPian

I would get the polo GT TSI for 10L and put the reminder 20L on a Term Deposit to pay for the fuel + maintenance expenses. And smoke out all the under 30L sedans on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujatwork View Post
Bro, XUV isnt meant for someone who's mindset in in the 30L bracket
--
--
I could be wrong though.
Take a look at the poll results on this thread and the discussion. You'll be rather surprised!

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 4th May 2014 at 15:06.
Warwithwheels is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 15:18   #15
BHPian

I guess the OP is not in the market for a new car and has started this thread just for the benefit of others who are confused.

I have 2 sets of choices the first one being:
A single SUV like the Fortuner or Pajero Sports.

Hear me out first,please don't pounce on me with VFM trumpcard.
When I was coming back from Goa in my Innova I saw an Elantra near Pune by pass. That guy was driving crazy, however the moment he saw a pothole or even small undulations he would slow down and I would overtake him.
With the Fortuner or Pajero Sport I would be doing broken roads comfortably and have the same amount of power too. Only you have to forget high speed cornering.
I think that our Indian roads are not worth the Germans like the Beamer,Mercedes and Audi. How many of you have done a 1000 km+ trip in India with your Beamers,Audi's etc.
Very few I guess. But I have seen people doing frequent long trips with the Fortuner, Pajero Sport or any other sub 20 lakh car.
Personally I donot like the Monocoques ala CRV and Santa Fe. So they are out of the question.

Option 2
An Innova and a Thar!

If road presence is what you want nothing gives your better road presence than a Jeep.
Plus you can bash it and still get it repaired for a paltry sum. Go offroading if you want.
For all the other needs like going to work,shopping etc you have the Innova. The cost of ownership of both cars put together will be cheaper than a 30 lakh Euro car any day!
Innova :17 lakhs
Thar: 8.50 lakhs
Total: 25.50 lakhs

Keep another 3 lakhs aside for the Mods on the Thar.
Still you save 2 lakhs!
dean5545 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed