Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2014, 15:23   #16

Re: If you got Rs. 30 Lakhs to blow on a new car, what would you do?

Depends on what you want, if you're looking at a 30l budget then some of the luxury hatchbacks such as the BMW 1 series, Merc A and B classes and the Volvo V40. Also ,amongst the entry level luxury sedans, the Volvo S60 is worth a look to, supposedly cheaper to maintain and has a sweet sounding inline 5.
NolanDR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 15:25   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Take a look at the poll results on this thread and the discussion. You'll be rather surprised!
Thanks. I looked at the link. The Poll results would be credible if it were done only on those who have the pocket for a 30L car. Those who dont may not have the perspective so results could be mixed.

Then I found a post in the same link that perfectly explained what I meant!
Attached Thumbnails
If you got Rs. 30 Lakhs to blow on a new car, what would you do?-tbhp.jpg  

Old 4th May 2014, 15:37   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
I guess the OP is not in the market for a new car and has started this thread just for the benefit of others who are confused.
Ha ha yes, it is indeed true. I am not in the market for any new car.
Infact I have already managed to blow my nearly 30 Lakhs figure in an even more crazy way!

I have now got in my garage a 2013 Honda city VMT (sunroof), a 2013 Polo GT TDI and a 2013 Honda Brio.

Don't ask me how this happened. Blame my dad. He is the one with the cash.

This is what happens when one makes no prior plans about buying his cars and just buy something in a moment's fancy. I feel like a complete idiot now.
nakul0888 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 15:46   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The question here is not just about the Germans on the other side of 30L. It basically applies to any car costing 30L. Is it always wise to go for that car or rather settle for 2 cars from the segment below. Your 28L Fortuner can very well be replaced by a 16L XUV W8 AWD and a Polo GT/Honda city. Does the Fortuner still makes sense?

Similarly the 25L+ Camry/Accord can be replaced by a C+/D segment car plus a hatch. There are so many permutations and combinations at play here.
Can it Mohit?, do you really think so, can I say your 320 D can be replaced by a Cruze. Why did you not buy a Cruze and one or two more cars than go for one BMW?
Quantity is not everything.

You are comparing the Fortuner with the XUV, apart from the fact that they are SUV's and that too technically one is a Ladder on frame the other a Monocqoue. Nothing else is similar between them.

Moreover if I am spending 30 laks and at this price point it is not just Needs and wants but a lot of other parameters emerge, least of all not brand recall and bragging rights, do you think that can be achieved in your above described combo.

Come on dude, you have been there and we all know what road you chose and I for one really like that you went for one of the best German cars available in India. Just ask yourself when you were in that mind set, what if some on suggested that why don't you go for a combo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujatwork View Post
Bro, XUV isnt meant for someone who's mindset in in the 30L bracket. He would be expecting quality & comfort in font size 100 from his primary car whereas XUV is a Jalopy for that level of a guy.
Very well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Take a look at the poll results on this thread and the discussion. You'll be rather surprised!
That poll is more of what people would suggest not what they would actually do.

Quote:
Thanks. I looked at the link. The Poll results would be credible if it were done only on those who have the pocket for a 30L car. Those who dont may not have the perspective so results could be mixed.

Then I found a post in the same link that perfectly explained what I meant!
Again well said bro.
eq24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 15:55   #20
Senior - BHPian

I would get two.

1) Polo GT TSi
2) Nissan Terrano (110)

Can't afford to service the Germans even if I get the car for free.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 15:59   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
This is what happens when one makes no prior plans about buying his cars and just buy something in a moment's fancy. I feel like a complete idiot now.
You atleast got 3 cars. When I brought out the topic of a new car (Polo Gt Tsi)
He said we need to save money. Next thing I know he buys 2 milling machines in his factory just like that!
Cost of 2 milling machines:9,31,000
Cost of Polo Gt Tsi:9,30,000
dean5545 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 16:25   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
I would get two.

1) Polo GT TSi
2) Nissan Terrano (110)

Can't afford to service the Germans even if I get the car for free.
Apparently this seems to be the major issue for a lot of car lovers.

Lots of people I know loves cars, loves driving, and is capable of buying these german cars and able to pay the EMI for them.
But the thought of being presented with repair bills in figures of lakhs frightens the daylight out of most of them and so they stay away.

If only these Germans were more reliable and cheaper to fix we could have seen lots more of them on our roads now.

At least these Germans could give us a 7 year warranty or something. Because forget the mainstream brands, nowadays even Ferrari offers 7 year warranty on most of their models.
nakul0888 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 17:23   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bro, XUV isnt meant for someone who's mindset in in the 30L bracket. He would be expecting quality & comfort in font size 100 from his primary car whereas XUV is a Jalopy for that level of a guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
Can it Mohit?, do you really think so, can I say your 320 D can be replaced by a Cruze. Why did you not buy a Cruze and one or two more cars than go for one BMW?
Quantity is not everything.
I am not saying what it can do or it can't. I am just giving you a possible combination. And did you feel that the Fortuner's interiors were more luxurious or the rear bench more comfortable?

And please read my first post.
Quote:
What I feel is that a Rs 10L C segment car of today is good for anything and everything that one needs or expects out of a car. They are powerful, spacious, loaded with all the features etc. So ideally speaking you don't need to spend anymore money. But when one decides to go above this segment, its more of splurging and pampering rather than necessity. And those things can never be had with the 2 cars from the lower segments.
Hence in your scenario if the person would have been willing to live with the Jetta/Octavia/Camry/Accord then he would not look to the 3/C/A4. Since he is willing to shell out 30L that means he wants the badge and the luxury feel associated with that. So my pick would be the one car from the 30L segment.
I am in favour of buying that one 30L car. The experience is unmatched. For any person willing to spend 30L, the cars from lower segment just don't make a sense. That is why I choose the 3 in the end ( or had choose the Fortuner before the BMW came into the picture).

My comment on your post was when you suggested Fortuner as an alternative to a luxury german sedan. The 2 are grounds apart. Leave aside the car dynamics etc. The badge value itself is too gigantic to ignore. So just like you cannot compare a Fortuner with a XUV, you cannot compare a 3/C/A4 with a Camry/Fortuner.
Quote:
Arriving in a Camry/Fortuner, now not only you have style you like to keep your weekends for friends and family and not the service centers.
At the end of the day we all must agree on one basic point. There will always be a difference in terms of quality, car's handling, gear box, engine specifications, badge value etc in two cars from different segments. That is the reason why the car in the higher segment is priced like that and is still selling. So anyone contemplating this 1 car vs 2 car thought, would have to make that decision to compromise on the above aspects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post

At least these Germans could give us a 7 year warranty or something. Because forget the mainstream brands, nowadays even Ferrari offers 7 year warranty on most of their models.
Don't know about others but BMW does offer you an all inclusive BSI pack with extended warranty valid for 6 years/1.4 L kms.

Last edited by drmohitg : 4th May 2014 at 17:40.
drmohitg is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 17:55   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Leave aside the car dynamics etc. The badge value itself is too gigantic to ignore. So just like you cannot compare a Fortuner with a XUV, you cannot compare a 3/C/A4 with a Camry/Fortuner.
+1 to that.
We can work out numerous permutations and combinations to spend that 30 lakhs, but IMHO none will match a 3/C/A4 in your driveway. Reliability & Service costs be damned.

But here in bangalore even the 30 lakhs won't get you the basic version of the german trio

Last edited by shashank.nk : 4th May 2014 at 17:58.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 18:04   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
But here in bangalore even the 30 lakhs won't get you the basic version of the german trio
Well it is more of a reference number to be honest. Even in Delhi you won't get the base version within 30L. It would be more around 32-33L for all three unless you get some insane deal on old stock.

But then in bangalore even the Fortuner 4x4 must be almost 30L OTR if I am not wrong.
Old 4th May 2014, 18:48   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But then in bangalore even the Fortuner 4x4 must be almost 30L OTR if I am not wrong.
You're right,the 4x4 is a shade below 30L here, my guess is its similar in Mumbai too.

My rant was because the base BMW is close 40L OTR here,this is without any discounts. So for us it should be, 'which car with 30L ex-showroom price'
Old 4th May 2014, 19:15   #27
Senior - BHPian

A preowned Porsche 911.
There are 2005-2006 models available as low as 25L.
cityvic is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 19:31   #28
Senior - BHPian

Having seen a recent thread of an Aria meeting with an accident. My vote goes for safety over apparent reliability of Innova.

It'd definitely be the variant with airbags i.e. the top end.

'Ownership' of a car extends to owning an experience, and hence the remaining would be required for fuel & hotel stays because I sure as hell would buy it ONLY if I plan to travel >25K kms per annum for the next 6 years atleast.

Otherwise IMO (atleast in MY case) it would be unnecessarily wasteful to lose in depreciation by underutilising the car.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 19:44   #29
BHPian

Quote:
I am not saying what it can do or it can't. I am just giving you a possible combination. And did you feel that the Fortuner's interiors were more luxurious or the rear bench more comfortable?

And please read my first post.

My comment on your post was when you suggested Fortuner as an alternative to a luxury german sedan. The 2 are grounds apart. Leave aside the car dynamics etc. The badge value itself is too gigantic to ignore. So just like you cannot compare a Fortuner with a XUV, you cannot compare a 3/C/A4 with a Camry/Fortuner.

At the end of the day we all must agree on one basic point. There will always be a difference in terms of quality, car's handling, gear box, engine specifications, badge value etc in two cars from different segments. That is the reason why the car in the higher segment is priced like that and is still selling. So anyone contemplating this 1 car vs 2 car thought, would have to make that decision to compromise on the above aspects.

Don't know about others but BMW does offer you an all inclusive BSI pack with extended warranty valid for 6 years/1.4 L kms.
I read your first post and completely agree with it.
To me a car is not just one or two aspects but the sum total of all the tangible(the machine) and intangible(the bragging rights, brand etc.) parts. So for me the Fortuner as a whole is worth every shining paisa.

Now the comparison can never happen because you can not compare a SUV with a sedan or even the Camry because its analogue in the German world is the 5/A6/E class, cars which are way over the 30 lakh limit. So you are getting a high segment car for pretty less. And in the context of the Fortuner the same in the German world would be the X5/Q7/ML class, again cars which are way more expensive.

I am in no way comparing such cars because said comparison would be Apples to Oranges. You can not compare entry level Germans with pretty low options to Fully loaded Japs. I am simply saying that as an ALTERNATIVE it is better. Again take your case in point, you went for a 3, which is a great car and quite frankly made a super choice but had you gone for the Fortuner, it would again be an equally good choice, it all comes down to your needs and wants.

Your last para is bang on target.

Surprising your avatar is still your Corolla, All said and done Japs do leave a lasting impression don't they bro.

Last edited by eq24 : 4th May 2014 at 19:47.
eq24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 19:55   #30
BANNED

Quote:
At the end of the day we all must agree on one basic point. There will always be a difference in terms of quality, car's handling, gear box, engine specifications, badge value etc in two cars from different segments.
I don't know how many + + should I give to this post of yours Doc!

This is what everyone doesn't think when comparing cars by just holding the price. The segment, The value it contributes, Reason why that is made available is no considered but just OTR. I have seen many friends fight when selecting cars as they just hold the OTR and go ranting about features etc.

Quality of materials, absolutely everything is different in cars of different price bracket and segments. It won't be fair to compare the 3/A4/C with Superb/Camry/Accord even though they fall in the similar price range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
My rant was because the base BMW is close 40L OTR here,this is without any discounts. So for us it should be, 'which car with 30L ex-showroom price'.

Down south things change a lot right?! We need Ex-Showroom as reference rather than OTR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
A preowned Porsche 911.
There are 2005-2006 models available as low as 25L.
Honestly I liked the suggestion!

Anurag.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks