Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2014, 16:19   #1
Senior - BHPian

CUV Wars: EcoSport vs Avventura vs Cross Polo vs Liva Cross vs Premier Rio

The compact Uv segment has suddenly heated up in the last year.

It does make sense to buy a CUV in our country where roads are not the best and where water logs on the streets every monsoon.

I did forget to add how they redefine style with the offroad bodykits and tyres.

Agreed, the polo and Etios liva jobs are just bodykits, but they still help protect the body on the bad roads. Rio is mostly a lost case.

I think the real war is between the Avventura and the Evosport (Wish to add duster/terrano here but it is not exactly a compact UV).

I wold choose between the Ecosport and the Avventura but would love to have the cross Polo with DSG over both if available with taller tyres
Old 28th October 2014, 16:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: CUV Wars: EcoSport vs Avventura vs Cross Polo vs Liva Cross vs Premier Rio

The only difference is that the Ecosport was built from grounds up as a small SUV, even if it is based on Fiesta, atleast it has that proper small SUV look. Where Ford has lost the plot now is in its pricing. The price has been increasing steadily and the top end Titanium now comes from almost 11 lakhs OTR, Delhi.
And while Avventura is essentially a hatchback crossover, it still is a much better executed job than either the Etios Cross or the Polo Cross. The fact that it is priced keenly compared to the others and doesn't sacrifice either ride or handling much when compared to its hatchback sibling makes it more suited to the job than Ecosport.

If I was in the market I will chose between the Ecosport or the Avventure. I will side with the Fiat slightly, primarily because it is a better compromise, looks as good if not better and is priced considerably lesser.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 28th October 2014 at 16:32.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 16:47   #3
Team-BHP Support

If its a petrol, its a no-brainer. The Ford Ecosport. Both the Ecoboot 1.0 and the 1.5 TiVCT engines are much better than these crossovers offer. The Liva stands a chance with its 1.5, but that car is no crossover. Moreover, the quality levels are not acceptable for a car of such price tag IMO.

Coming to the diesel. Its a question of a better mechanical package v/s better overall package. For me, its a tough choice between the Avventura and the Ecosport, although most people will prefer the Ecosport in the end. Avventura drives every bit as brilliant as the Ecosport does but much better in some areas - the lovely steering and the brilliant ride for example where the Ecosport doesn't come close. Ecosport however offers a higher seating position and a bigger car feel (front seats) and has substantial road presence compared to the Punto-based Avventura.

Overall - If you love outstation trips where and your fun starts where the good tarmac ends - the Avventura it is for you. If you are an urban dweller and want a car that can handle those monstrous speed breakers, be frugal but extremely drive-able plus announce your new status in life - it has to be the Ecosport.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 28th October 2014 at 16:50.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 09:25   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
[b]
Overall - If you love outstation trips where and your fun starts where the good tarmac ends - the Avventura it is for you. If you are an urban dweller and want a car that can handle those monstrous speed breakers, be frugal but extremely drive-able plus announce your new status in life - it has to be the Ecosport.
Why? I thought I read even Avventura has good clearance. It competes on that as well. The only part against is higher lag on the diesel as compared to the Ford.
Old 29th October 2014, 10:27   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

A poll should be added to this. Will be easier to know the preferences of members.

I vote for the EcoSport. Fantastic machine, inside out.
Old 29th October 2014, 10:57   #6
BHPian

Ecosport for me, the rest are all wannabe's in my opinion. The Petrol Ecoboost Titanium Option is a great drive + loaded with safety kit, gets my vote.
Old 29th October 2014, 11:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Isn't it ironic, a decade ago the black bumpers were norm for lower end models and body colored bumpers commanded a premium.

Now we have some a full circle and the black bumpers models are being offered as a premium over the body colored models (in the garb of MiniSUV/Crossover).
alpha1 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 11:16   #8
BHPian

Lets also add the upcoming Cross i20 to this list. From the spy shots - it looks delicious, with projector lamps, LED drls, tasteful alloys etc etc. Hyundai might even throw in the panoramic sunroof (Wishful thinking :P)

From past Hyundai's aggressiveness, we can expect the i20 cross by the end of this year.

Talking about Ecosport, 6 months back I heard rumors of an ecosport with sunroof and bigger wheels (same was showcased in the auto exp as well). What happened to that?
Old 29th October 2014, 11:25   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Why? I thought I read even Avventura has good clearance. It competes on that as well. The only part against is higher lag on the diesel as compared to the Ford.

Road presence was the main point I wanted to highlight there. Avventura simply can't match it the 'big car' feel of the Ecosport.
Old 29th October 2014, 11:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

I would vote for Ecosport. And second choice would be Avventura.

EcoSport :

+ves :

1. The most proportionate looking of the lot.
2. Decent engine options. The diesel is high on efficiency and decent driveablity. The ecoboost , though a little pain in b2b traffic due to lag , is enjoyable on better/longer stretches.
3. Safety feature options are top class, commanding driving position and come on!!! they never marketed it as a off-roader. Its an urban SUV and suits brilliantly for urban areas like bangalore which is plagued with crater-live potholes and gigantic speedbreakers .

-ve :

1. Compared to Duster looks a size smaller. But then Duster is a segment higher.

2. 5th occupant is not welcome, but I guess none of the options being discussed here can accomodate a 5th occupant comfortably.

Avventura :

+ves:

1. Excellent ground clearance. At 205 its more than Ecosport actually and the vault like build quality makes it a better option than others for off-roading.

2. The rugged look stands out better than the cross-polo or etios cross (which barely look like plastics added to the hatch-counterpart). But then the rear mounted spare wheel is a hit or miss. Personally I love the whole design language minus the spare wheel . Practicality/ease of use is a whole different topic.

3. From the reviews looks like the power delivery is more linear now which means the infamous lag would be felt less, making it easier to drive around in the B2B traffic scenario.

4. Handling has been Fiat's forte for long now. Read somewhere, FIAT= Ferrari In Affordable Trim?

-ve :

1. The rear legroom should have been bettered with the spare wheel going out. An oppurtunity missed?

2. The spare-wheel setup will keep haunting folks in cities with congested parking.

Rest of the lot well, surprisingly, I like the looks of ETIOS cross. And lately have been seeing quite a good number of them here in bangalore. I guess that sells more than liva now. Other than that nothing much to say about Polo/Etios cross'. They dont stand a chance infront of EcoSport/Avventura. Premier Rio? Is that spartan machine still available?

Last edited by SoumenD : 29th October 2014 at 11:41. Reason: spellcheck
Old 29th October 2014, 15:03   #11
Senior - BHPian

Avventura Emotion Diesel on-road in Ahmedabad is 9.37. Overpriced? how much is the ecosport diesel top-end?

Also I think the diesel with DSG in crosspolo with increased GC would also make an excellent case for itself as an urban CUV
Old 29th October 2014, 17:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Re: CUV Wars: EcoSport vs Avventura vs Cross Polo vs Liva Cross vs Premier Rio

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
If its a petrol, its a no-brainer. The Ford Ecosport. Both the Ecoboot 1.0 and the 1.5 TiVCT engines are much better than these crossovers offer. The Liva stands a chance with its 1.5, but that car is no crossover. Moreover, the quality levels are not acceptable for a car of such price tag IMO.
I'd the opportunity to drive the 1.5TiVCT MT over about a 100kms. The vehicle was struggling to climb the typical gradients you find along the Kerala interior roads - with 5 people on board averaging 60kgs. At many places I'd to switch off the a.c and shift down to first gear mid way. All post speed-breakers were a struggle and recovered only in first gear. So much so that I'd to re-check whether this was a 1.5 or a 1.2 engine!!

But it was fairly comfortable over the roads that were washed away during the rains. People at the read did not experience much bounciness - something that is found in the Scorpio. So with a more torquey engine - ecoboost or 1.5Tdci, this vehicle must be quite capable

The Avventura must have something very strong going for it for people to choose this over the Ecosport, apart from the unique looks.
mallumowgli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2014, 08:01   #13
Team-BHP Support

War? Adding some pics to the fire:

Dashboard:
I would rate Ecosport > Avventura > Cross Polo > Etios Cross.

FIAT Avventura
CUV Wars: EcoSport vs Avventura vs Cross Polo vs Liva Cross vs Premier Rio-img_1693_800.jpg

Ford Ecosport
CUV Wars: EcoSport vs Avventura vs Cross Polo vs Liva Cross vs Premier Rio-ecosport_dash.jpg

Toyota Etios Cross
CUV Wars: EcoSport vs Avventura vs Cross Polo vs Liva Cross vs Premier Rio-etios_dash_800.jpg

*Cross Polo skipped as display car was not available.

Rear Seat Legroom:
I would rate Etios Cross > Avventura > Ecosport > Cross Polo.
*All pictures with front seat adjusted to my comfort. I'm 5"11'

FIAT Avventura
CUV Wars: EcoSport vs Avventura vs Cross Polo vs Liva Cross vs Premier Rio-img_1679_800.jpg

Ford Ecosport
CUV Wars: EcoSport vs Avventura vs Cross Polo vs Liva Cross vs Premier Rio-ecosport_sitting.jpg

Toyota Etios Cross
CUV Wars: EcoSport vs Avventura vs Cross Polo vs Liva Cross vs Premier Rio-etios_stting_800.jpg

VW Cross Polo. *Pic from regular Polo, but remains identical
CUV Wars: EcoSport vs Avventura vs Cross Polo vs Liva Cross vs Premier Rio-polo_sitting_800.jpg

Seating Comfort (Rear):
I would rate Avventura > Etios Cross > Ecosport > Cross Polo.
*All pictures for my seating position. I'm 5"11'
*Thanks to member nkrishnap for taking these pictures.

FIAT Avventura
CUV Wars: EcoSport vs Avventura vs Cross Polo vs Liva Cross vs Premier Rio-img_1678_800.jpg

Ford Ecosport
CUV Wars: EcoSport vs Avventura vs Cross Polo vs Liva Cross vs Premier Rio-ecosport_rear.jpg

Toyota Etios Cross
CUV Wars: EcoSport vs Avventura vs Cross Polo vs Liva Cross vs Premier Rio-etios_rear_800.jpg

VW Cross Polo: *Pic from regular Polo. But remains identical.
CUV Wars: EcoSport vs Avventura vs Cross Polo vs Liva Cross vs Premier Rio-polo_rear_800.jpg

Rear comparison:

CUV Wars: EcoSport vs Avventura vs Cross Polo vs Liva Cross vs Premier Rio-img_1577.jpg

CUV Wars: EcoSport vs Avventura vs Cross Polo vs Liva Cross vs Premier Rio-img_1431.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th October 2014, 08:26   #14
Senior - BHPian

For now, its EcoSport all the way given the other options. The others are neither here nor there. A little better job was done by Fiat on the Avventura, but its still a very rough and tough hatchback and not a compact UV. And I really don't know what to make of Rio.

But the little Ford really needs better engines to fight the oncoming real competition like Taigun or XA Alpha or ix25. None of the three engines on offer in the EcoSport now are very potent or frugal. The EcoSport is quite heavy and not exactly what you call aerodynamic. So much so that the same 1.5 TDCi engine behaves very differently in the new Fiesta compared to EcoSport. Hope Ford will address this during the next refresh.
Old 30th October 2014, 09:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

[quote=CrAzY dRiVeR;3567656]War? Adding some pics to the fire:

Looks like an official comparison, nice presentation. Avventura scores over others in terms of performance, stability and GC, but has the most cramped interiors. Etios which has the best space among all loses out with a non-inspiring engine. Ecosport suffers from high price tag.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks