Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2014, 22:44   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dependable pre-owned Barges & Luxury Cars for Rs. 10-15 Lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
I too have doubts about the v6 accords acceleration times. The american accord has the same engine with the same output but with a 0-100 time of 6.5 seconds. How come there is a 3 second difference between the Indian and american car? Outdated gearbox?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Lazy? Far from it. It is actually blisteringly fast. Accord V6 has no DSG, no turbo, no intercooler, no paddle-shifts. But....it just flies. The one had for few days was an '05 model (3.0 L) with 45K on odo and completely stock. Wonder what it could do with some modifications. In stock form it was spinning wheels in first and second gears. Not only from stand still but the front wheels were spinning even on the move when I slammed on go pedal. I'm sure it takes 7 seconds to reach 100. Certainly not 9 seconds as you pointed out. See the next post where Nakul says American one does it in 6.5 seconds. And wonder what the newer '09 model with 3.5 L would do.
American Accord coupe with a manual transmission does it in 6.5 seconds. That's both less weight and a manual gearbox. The car here in India, develops around 10% less output, with a torque converter gearbox, more weight both due to the body shell and gearbox so it does take 9 seconds to a hundred. I have smoked several Accord V6s' and driven quite a few of them too.

pgsagar: Sir you might need to drive a few more sedans from the D segments extensively to be able to judge. Torque spin in both 1st and 2nd on the move, can be acheived even in my Kizashi with around 33% lower output figures with the traction control light flashing madly. Service your existing car thoroughly, disconnect and reconnect the battery, and even it might be able to do the same. (slap on some old tyres if it doesn't work )

Please refer to an old t-bhp thread if you wish to see what others think. Note Shan2nu's comments.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...der-vs-v6.html

Last edited by IshaanIan : 16th November 2014 at 22:51.
Old 16th November 2014, 23:36   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Mercedes E class w211 - Second Generation
This is a great car to buy. I now own a 2007 model. E280 cdi. It's a dream come true. Great bet. You just need to have a reliable mechanic who knows Mercedes.

Cons. It's a business class air line like to travel on well tarred roads. On bad roads it's a pain. You feel the car is getting abused. Which you don't want.

Last edited by manson : 22nd November 2014 at 16:32. Reason: Please do not quote full length posts unless necessary.
Old 17th November 2014, 11:47   #93
BHPian

Guys,

Whats your take on older showroom cars? Anyone aware of any systematic disposal of dealer cars.

Would be great if one could get, say a 3series, or a C-class for 20L or so?

For second hand purchases, going through this thread is making me realize, that petrol is the way to go.

- cheaper
- lesser NVMH
- more power
- * possibly in a better condition as well, (lesser miles on the odo)

Yash
Old 18th November 2014, 11:07   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Against:
Horrible auto box
Interiors are pretty basic although well equipped
Dealers will not know how to service the more complex bits
High Miles for the price
X Trail : Autobox is better than Fortuner, Koleos, Outlander and even CRV.
Its Teana which has horrible CVT.
6 speed auto is excellent.
Kindly refer GTO's earlier review !!!
Old 19th November 2014, 00:03   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
American Accord coupe with a manual transmission does it in 6.5 seconds. That's both less weight and a manual gearbox. The car here in India, develops around 10% less output, with a torque converter gearbox, more weight both due to the body shell and gearbox so it does take 9 seconds to a hundred. I have smoked several Accord V6s' and driven quite a few of them too.

Please refer to an old t-bhp thread if you wish to see what others think. Note Shan2nu's comments.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...der-vs-v6.html
And I have stumbled upon this thread here which Accord V6 does it in low 8s.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...punto-mjd.html

BTW, I HAVE driven D segment cars. May be you have driven many more but that does not mean others haven't. For close to 1 year, I was on look-out for a used DSG car and during the course I drove Superb DSG, couple of Laura DSGs and Polo TSI, including friends' and relatives. These three cars I have driven for reasonable period of time to form my opnion. Trust me, after driving all these cars I have changed my opinion and after driving this relative's Accord V6, I have decided to get a good used V6 ( I'm still looking ). You know why? DSG performance seems to be exaggerated on enthusiast forums. I did not find them much different from torque converters (TC). Just a very small shade better. Very very small. Definitely not as much as they are touted to be. Actually, I found V6 TC to be accelerating instantaneously. DSGs on the other hand seemed to be fumbling , hesitating during start-up from standstill. Low speed crawl was jerky , too, in DSGs.

In recent Autocar shoot-out of Vento DSG versus Rapid DSG, they said Verna AT ( with archaic 4-speed torque converter) beats both these cars in 0-100 acceleration and kick-down acceleration. BTW, you are talking about beating V6 by a 1.8 TSI. I doubt that. Unless you change gears as fast as an F1 driver, chances are slim that you can beat a good AT car with an MT car, other things being equal.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 01:32   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
And I have stumbled upon this thread here which Accord V6 does it in low 8s.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...punto-mjd.html

BTW, I HAVE driven D segment cars. May be you have driven many more but that does not mean others haven't. For close to 1 year, I was on look-out for a used DSG car and during the course I drove Superb DSG, couple of Laura DSGs and Polo TSI, including friends' and relatives. These three cars I have driven for reasonable period of time to form my opnion. Trust me, after driving all these cars I have changed my opinion and after driving this relative's Accord V6, I have decided to get a good used V6 ( I'm still looking ). You know why? DSG performance seems to be exaggerated on enthusiast forums. I did not find them much different from torque converters (TC). Just a very small shade better. Very very small. Definitely not as much as they are touted to be. Actually, I found V6 TC to be accelerating instantaneously. DSGs on the other hand seemed to be fumbling , hesitating during start-up from standstill. Low speed crawl was jerky , too, in DSGs.

In recent Autocar shoot-out of Vento DSG versus Rapid DSG, they said Verna AT ( with archaic 4-speed torque converter) beats both these cars in 0-100 acceleration and kick-down acceleration. BTW, you are talking about beating V6 by a 1.8 TSI. I doubt that. Unless you change gears as fast as an F1 driver, chances are slim that you can beat a good AT car with an MT car, other things being equal.
I'm sorry if it offended you that I asked you try out a few more cars from the D segment. I did so only because you had earlier compared it to the Cruze which is a smaller displacement diesel car; no matter how much peak torque it develops, one still has to wait for the turbo to spool and then shift early in a diesel so I found it odd that you even had to state the Cruze was slower. This comparison that you seemed to think was relevant, lead me to believe that you did not have much experience in really wringing the necks of these D Segment rides.

Being someone who loves giving these cars the beans, let me say that the DSG makes a world of difference over a regular torque converter; it is both lighter, saps less power, and significantly faster because of the shift timings as well as less nose dive. The Verna could be faster than the Vento/Rapid but then it is a lot lighter and these things are also down to the engines state of tune, power/torque spread, gearing etc. so the Verna being faster doesn't really prove anything.

Funny you still claim the Accord achieves 0-100 in 7 seconds. I have smoked many V6 Accords as well as a friend's car, on several occasions in both my Kizashi and a friend's Laura vRS (both smaller displacement, manual cars), and a quick search on google using the keywords "0-100", "Accord" "V6" and "India" yielded tons of text on many automotive websites all posting figures between 8.7 and 9.6 seconds, further substantiating my claims.

Anyway we seem to be straying away from the theme of this thread. I have to agree with you in that the Accord V6 is a brilliant barge. The car is certainly quick in its own right, and the V6 performs with a lot of flair but don't get too carried away by all the drama and let that fool you mate

Last edited by IshaanIan : 19th November 2014 at 01:49.
Old 19th November 2014, 14:07   #97
BHPian

But then how to tackle the fact that such enthusiast friendly cars like V6 (or TSI/ GT TDI) would have been driven like they are supposed to?

My point being, even a lesser run car with say 50K on odo would in all probability have been subjected to abuse and wear and tear equivalent to maybe 1L KMs in others.

How sensible is it to go for such a purchase, or are there checks which can mitigate this factor as well?
Old 19th November 2014, 16:20   #98
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
But then how to tackle the fact that such enthusiast friendly cars like V6 (or TSI/ GT TDI) would have been driven like they are supposed to?
The mechanical condition of a car is w-a-a-a-a-y more important than how it's driven.

If I take my cars to the redline, it's only when the road is clean & well laid-out. You can drive a car hard, yet be respectful of the machine, and adhere to the maintenance schedule as strictly as possible. Would definitely prefer such a car over one that's driven rashly / carelessly.

As an example, my ol' Honda City Vtec was redlined all the way to 75,000 kms. Regular oil changes & preventive maintenance. Healthy compression ratios & still with the factory horses! Check the video out in this awesome thread.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2014, 11:55   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Came across this listing while surfing the net. Sounds perfect for this thread. Honestly I am astounded at the price being quoted. It really looks too good to be true.

http://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in-...-2014-d671050/

Details from the add:
Model: Volvo S80 3.2
Year: 2011
Odo: 35000 kms
Owner: 1

And now the best part. Asking price: 14.85L!!
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 20:00   #100
BHPian

Super thread that has made it super confusing for me to buy my next car

As many of you might already know that I am close to buying a small hatchback for myself and am almost certain on the POLO GT TDI. This means an investment close to 9.5 L (Gurgaon Reg.). Quick rundown of my requirements: Diesel/Powerful/Young/Sporty/EasyToMaintain/Mileage (Love the GT TSi but dropped it for mileage).
Now we already own a PASSAT and this car will replace our Ford Fiesta as my daily drive for all city runabouts and occasional highway drives. My monthly running close to 1k KMs.

Until now I was only looking at hatchbacks as they are easy to use in the city and cheap. But, Now this thread has opened up a new dimension to my search. I feel a second hand car with the same budget will offer much more in all aspects of my requirements (Maybe minus the easy to maintain part).
I find it scary to use the PASSAT in the city as my heart is always in my mouth worrying about nicks or dents to the parked car (I am a very good driver I must say ) and parking space woes.
Now you might see a contradiction here, as I am looking for a small car but a pre-owned car with this budget will most definitely be a big car. Now to settle this I feel that one can use a second hand car much more freely in the city as it is already old (I might be wrong, as I have never bought a pre-owned car) and the amount of care will be similar to the GT.

To sweeten this further I am aware that a Chevy Cruzes LTZ AT can be had for this amount of money (Close to 3 years old and 40-50k run). I am sure there are other options and I am just venturing into this domain today and don’t know what the future holds.
Assuming I will keep the car for 3 years (5 years for the POLO GT), which option makes more sense for me. Any help shall be deeply appreciated.
Also of the members could highlight some more options that I can look at.
Mods: Please move the response to an appropriate thread if not deemed fit here.

Last edited by Crazy_Bean : 8th December 2014 at 20:04.
Old 21st December 2014, 11:55   #101
BHPian

In Delhi, 08-09 A4 and 3-Series going under 11 lakh depending upon the condition and mileage. Does it worth going, how is maintenance on such cars if someone buy them. please suggest, I am tempting to buy one next year first qtr.
Old 21st December 2014, 19:38   #102
Senior - BHPian

Ahh,bargain barging and shedding.Two pastimes on which i waste an inordinate amount of time researching.Armed with an imaginary budget i can spend hours creating fantasy garages! I am a long time Pistonheads lurker and the fellows there know this art very well.

1.THE most important thing before one goes barge hunting is to research your target vehicle thoroughly.There are loads of international dedicated forums for the each of the brands and ownership reviews are exhaustive.Other than that they usually have a 'Buying Guide' thread too which points out the years and series to avoid(and factor in repairs) for common problems with them.

2.I think its best if the barges are changed every year or two.There is no telling when one of these might go belly up,so use it for 15,000-20000kms,service it once in between and sell it and move on.The only problem is,i think,once one of these barges hit numbers like 100,000kms their already precarious resale value then nose-dives.That leaves you with a hit of few lakhs of depreciation.

3.Its best to keep aside a fair amount of money for unforeseen circumstances.The old agage that a 50L car might be a 20L car after a few years on road,but will still be a 50L car in the service centre is true.

4.The fear of driving on of these.Call me silly,but if i managed to snag a nice W211 E280cdi or a Passat Tsi for cheap,i will no doubt be ecstatic with my cunningness.But then there would be this thought at the back of my mind that , this is a high mile German sedan,in India no less.What if it refuses to start today?Or wait in trepidation of for that squeak from somewhere which might turn out to be very expensive? I think this is the single largest reason which puts most of us from bargain barging.
avishar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2015, 08:12   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bivin View Post
So this V8 beast can be bought for 8-10L ? I want one right now! Team bhp is spoiling me I guess In a good way, if I could save enough I would surely get that V8 tank! So my wish list as of now is RD350, Triumph daytona and V8 Volvo.
Old 31st January 2016, 09:51   #104
BHPian

Guys does it make sense to put money in an old (2005-2007) types Honda Accord 2.4 MT/AT? I know the mileage is quite low but that's understandable given the size and displacement of the car.
But most importantly, what about maintenance? Are the spares costly? Any recurring problems that are troublesome?
And how reliable is the AT cause if something does go wrong, it might just cost me as much as a pre-owned Accord itself!
Old 31st January 2016, 15:51   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
Guys does it make sense to put money in an old (2005-2007) types Honda Accord 2.4 MT/AT? I know the mileage is quite low but that's understandable given the size and displacement of the car.
But most importantly, what about maintenance? Are the spares costly? Any recurring problems that are troublesome?
And how reliable is the AT cause if something does go wrong, it might just cost me as much as a pre-owned Accord itself!
The car has plenty of charm, VTEC is pleasurable to drive as always, IMO the best looking iteration of the legendary Accord marquee, plenty of road presence, dependable and fairly easy to maintain as D segment rides go. Parts are reasonably priced for what it is but don't forget that at the end of the day it is a 20+lakh product so cost of upkeep is proportional Having done your homework, if you are satisfied with the idea of buying a dependable barge, might I suggest a Honda CR-V of similar vintage? The car is a touch more responsive and taut due to the fact that the ride is not as wallowy, and comes with the added practicality of being an SUV meaning you won't encounter as many replacements of your lower-arm-ends and other suspension linkages as you will in a low slung large sedan which is not really tuned for our road conditions.

What is your budget and what are you looking for exactly if I may ask?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks