Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2014, 18:06   #16
BHPian

re: Dependable pre-owned Barges & Luxury Cars for Rs. 10-15 Lakhs

Having owned and driven two generations of Honda Accords in the US, will certainly recommend them. Found it comfortable driving them through the narrow streets of New Jersey as well as Californian highways, sun, rain and snow alike.

Personally, I won't describe the Accord as boring. The right words according to me would be safe, dependable and no drama. Just driving my Accord around the Bay Area streets relaxedly, felt meditative for me.

Now that petrol prices have come down significantly, Accords don't seem so much a fuel guzzlers.
vivriti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2014, 18:21   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Renault Fluence, Nissan X Trail and BMW 5 Series probably won't fit well into the definition of "automotive barge". Hyundai Sonata is a decent fit though.

I
Meanwhile, now that we have a Volvo dealership in Bangalore, S80 looks very tempting. Any idea how heavy it is on the pocket to maintain? Somewhere in between a Honda & the Germans? How is the reliability?
Well everyone has a different point of view. I totally forgot about the Sonata (its a stealth barge!)

From what we hear, Volvo's are very reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivriti View Post
Having owned and driven two generations of Honda Accords in the US, will certainly recommend them. Found it comfortable driving them through the narrow streets of New Jersey as well as Californian highways, sun, rain and snow alike.
The latest V6 would be a very tempting package. Add a tighter suspension,it can be a hoot
Old 9th November 2014, 19:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

Very useful thread especially in light of new trends in petrol and diesel prices.

I see that you have mentioned the CR-V but only in relation to the X-Trail. Why isn't it on the list? Other cars that I believe need a mention are the Mitsubishi Outlander, Chevrolet Captiva, Hyundai Santa Fe, Hyundai Sonata and the Suzuki Kizashi
Old 9th November 2014, 22:26   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post

I see that you have mentioned the CR-V but only in relation to the X-Trail. Why isn't it on the list? Other cars that I believe need a mention are the Mitsubishi Outlander, Chevrolet Captiva, Hyundai Santa Fe, Hyundai Sonata and the Suzuki Kizashi
I have been on the lookout for a used Santa Fe. But there are hardly any available in the market and the ones which are have a very high asking price and not really VFM which is the prime defining point of the cars in this thread. So I am not really sure if it qualifies to be in this list.
Old 9th November 2014, 23:49   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

For me, Sonata Embera qualifies as a Barge!

Last month we took a Sonata Embera CRDI to a mega road trip Delhi-Goa-Delhi. We were 4 Friends all 6 footers, we never felt uncomfortable, seats were super comfy and lots of space for us. Unlike the newer Hyundai cars, the suspension's state of tune especially damper rates is spot on. There is none of the constant vertical movement at rear axle as experienced in new Sonata and Elantra. Tall widely spaced 6 gears and loads of lag is pain in traffic, but out on open roads this car loves to stay in Triple digit speeds.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 10:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I totally forgot about the Sonata (its a stealth barge!)
Sonata Embera should find a space immediately after the other ship, the Superb.

You can add that now. You are mod, you know?
Old 10th November 2014, 10:28   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Sonata Embera should find a space immediately after the other ship, the Superb.

You can add that now. You are mod, you know?
Hmmm, but it is far down from Rs 10 lakhs mark

It is a barge no doubt
ajmat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 10:37   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Unlike all the other options, you can actually get the latest generation model. All India prices start from Rs. 14 Lacs

http://www.olx.in/nf/cars-cat-378/hy...sort_pricedesc
Old 10th November 2014, 13:05   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It is a barge no doubt
Apart from missing the Sonata, a very well compiled report. Having one of these in the car porch is a far exciting prospect than a 10 lac new car especially if the intended usage is minimal. A safer bet as well (Coff, Coff......clear throat!!)

Ajmat, what are the chances of you being bullied to do similar reports for other price brackets as well?!
shortbread is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2014, 14:17   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Dependable pre-owned Barges & Luxury Cars for Rs. 10-15 Lakhs

Just my kind of thread, great line-up! Thanks Ajmat. If you have 15 lakhs in your pocket, you could pretty much buy any car you want...all the way up to an S-Class or 7-Series.

My picks would be:

- BMW E60 525d / 530d. Plenty of them around. Seen many with merely 30000 - 40000 kms, single owner.

- 1 - 2 year old Jettas for 12 - 13 lakhs. An all-rounded self-drive sedan.

- Mitsubishi Montero: An all-rounded SUV. Great ride quality (unlike the Toyota body-on-frames). Excellent reliability.

- Toyota Fortuner: Lots of choices for 15 - 17 lakhs. Bulletproof reliability is a big, big plus.

- For being chauffeur-driven, the Nissan Teana. It's more comfortable than an E-Class! Soft seats, soft ride, refined engine.

- Skoda Superb, but only in diesel. Know a couple of people who own the TDI 6-speed DSG and it's far less troublesome than the 1.8 TSI 7-Speed DSG.

Accord & Camry, sure, but for 7 lakhs. They're too boring. If I'm spending over a million bucks, I'd buy something more interesting, unless I want a robust & comfy chauffeur-driven ride.

A6 I wouldn't touch. Reliability is poor, after-market garages aren't as familiar with it as they are with the E-Class & 5-Series and parts availability isn't as good as Merc & BMW either.

Volvo S80 V8: Posted on the same earlier. IIRC, someone picked one up for 7 - 8 lakhs? That's i20 money. What a seriously great car in exchange for a small cheque.
GTO is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 11th November 2014, 15:59   #26
BHPian

Great Great Thread!!

A very close friend of mine picked up Accord V6 Auto for 6lakhs,black color,37k on the odo,clean no accidents,no rubbish.

She then sold it for measely 4lakhs to buy a skoda vrs,yes i know what a pity but you know how women are once they set their mind they wont let off.

Accord was a beauty to drive,just silk smooth.

The skoda with a stage two remap now sits in her garage and makes loud blow off sounds making people turn their heads.

Frankly speaking you just need to keep your eyes and ears open,there will someone out there with a clean car who just wants to sell it.
scorpian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th November 2014, 16:16   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

My picks would be:

- BMW E60 525d / 530d. Plenty of them around. Seen many with merely 30000 - 40000 kms, single owner.
This is one question I really wanted to know the answer of, at what mileage should you consider the deal a good deal. Obviously, the lesser the better but price and mileage have an inverse co-relation.

I looked at a few used car websites and most Fortuners for 16-18 were about 50,000 - 75,000 kms driven. Same for used Land and Range Rovers. Again, a lot of variables go into finding which one is actually better, a 10,000 kkms driven car can be in worse condition than well kept 50,000 kms driven car, but can is there a basic rule of thumb one can follow?

Also, do diesel cars generally last longer than petrol ones or is the higher mileage on diesel cars (on an average) mainly due to the higher fuel economy and lower cost to run (fuel wise)?

And are there certain brands you would trust more over others, for example Toyota, if yes which ones? And which ones are ones you should look out for?

Thank you in advance.
Old 11th November 2014, 16:25   #28
BHPian

Fun times ahead for auto enthusiasts. I wish we could source good quality parts
Old 11th November 2014, 16:42   #29
BHPian

Nice thread Ajmat. We have been looking for a good pre-owned Jetta/Passat in Bangalore for the very same reasons you have suggested. I need a low profile, comfortable everyday automatic and had almost gone and bought a Vento TSI/Rapid TDI DSG, but the Airbag scare on an Octavia and a new boost of patience has me looking again. I hadn't considered the Volvo S80, but here in Bangalore, the options would be few and far between! Any suggestions on how to pursue the search? The running costs don't concern me as much. As long as the car hasn't been abused, the costs are usually affordable.
Old 11th November 2014, 17:13   #30
BHPian

Nice thread dude, kudos.

The Indian car market is maturing and so is the Indian customer. 10 years ago, if I were to tell someone that I'd be spending a good 12-15L on a second hand car, my family would've sent me to a cuckoo house (they still probably will today!!!).

But I feel if one has patience, a gem of a second hand car is not that far around the corner. We all have seen numerous threads and discussions on second hands in the C-Segment, so this comes as a refreshing change.

Although, as someone mentioned earlier, Accord & Camry in my opinion do not hold that much of a snob value like they used to.

Cheers,

Most Viewed