Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2014, 17:43   #31
BHPian

Re: Dependable pre-owned Barges & Luxury Cars for Rs. 10-15 Lakhs

Wow..lovely thread. Rated it 5 stars!
Now since we are saying 'barges', are we not including the 3 series or the C class or the A4? None of them are actually great for a rear seat drive I agree but they are luxury cars none the less. Saw one 2007 BMW 325i single owner with 60k in Mumai, asking just 9 lakhs. Was very tempted to go for it since it can be used as an occasional drive and use the Sunny diesel/Honda City as my daily driver. But wasn't sure how the E90 series are.
Old 11th November 2014, 18:23   #32
Senior - BHPian

Does it make sense to buy these cars on loan or using cash down / private funding..
Old 11th November 2014, 18:26   #33
BHPian

Awesome thread..Hyundai Terracan was another performer on the block. Very rarely seen nowadays, but will be great deal if its available 7-8 Lakhs.
Old 11th November 2014, 18:47   #34
BHPian

Excellent, Just the thread for me. Useful information in this case would be annual cost of maintenance of each of these cars. I think this is fairly important as I know of people saddled with high six figure repair bills for cars on this list ( I am looking at you, German marques)
Considering that this list is for the customer who is looking to get the biggest bang for the buck, just as I am, it would be useful for him to know which loud "bangs" he can best avoid.
Old 11th November 2014, 18:48   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Apart from missing the Sonata, a very well compiled report. Having one of these in the car porch is a far exciting prospect than a 10 lac new car especially if the intended usage is minimal. A safer bet as well (Coff, Coff......clear throat!!)

Ajmat, what are the chances of you being bullied to do similar reports for other price brackets as well?!
The Sonata was a miss, I will add it when I get time. Let me know what segments that I should target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just my kind of thread, great line-up! Thanks Ajmat. If you have 15 lakhs in your pocket, you could pretty much buy any car you want...all the way up to an S-Class or 7-Series.

My picks would be:

- BMW E60 525d / 530d. Plenty of them around. Seen many with merely 30000 - 40000 kms, single owner.

- 1 - 2 year old Jettas for 12 - 13 lakhs. An all-rounded self-drive sedan.

- Mitsubishi Montero: An all-rounded SUV. Great ride quality (unlike the Toyota body-on-frames). Excellent reliability.

- Toyota Fortuner: Lots of choices for 15 - 17 lakhs. Bulletproof reliability is a big, big plus.

- Skoda Superb, but only in diesel. Know a couple of people who own the TDI 6-speed DSG and it's far less troublesome than the 1.8 TSI 7-Speed DSG.

Accord & Camry, sure, but for 7 lakhs. They're too boring. If I'm spending over a million bucks, I'd buy something more interesting, unless I want a robust & comfy chauffeur-driven ride.

A6 I wouldn't touch. Reliability is poor, after-market garages aren't as familiar with it as they are with the E-Class & 5-Series and parts availability isn't as good as Merc & BMW either.

Volvo S80 V8: Posted on the same earlier. IIRC, someone picked one up for 7 - 8 lakhs? That's i20 money. What a seriously great car in exchange for a small cheque.
Interesting point about the A6. Jetta is no barge, Fortuner was not included as it not a waftmobile. E60's cost a lot more down south, Looks like Supply/Demand economics

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
Great Great Thread!!

She then sold it for measely 4lakhs to buy a skoda vrs,yes i know what a pity but you know how women are once they set their mind they wont let off.

The skoda with a stage two remap now sits in her garage and makes loud blow off sounds making people turn their heads.

My kind of woman (my wife did not hear that!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
This is one question I really wanted to know the answer of, at what mileage should you consider the deal a good deal. Obviously, the lesser the better but price and mileage have an inverse co-relation.

I looked at a few used car websites and most Fortuners for 16-18 were about 50,000 - 75,000 kms driven. Same for used Land and Range Rovers. Again, a lot of variables go into finding which one is actually better, a 10,000 kkms driven car can be in worse condition than well kept 50,000 kms driven car, but can is there a basic rule of thumb one can follow?

Also, do diesel cars generally last longer than petrol ones or is the higher mileage on diesel cars (on an average) mainly due to the higher fuel economy and lower cost to run (fuel wise)?

And are there certain brands you would trust more over others, for example Toyota, if yes which ones? And which ones are ones you should look out for?

Thank you in advance.
Toyota - They will go on and on

I would buy on condition.

As for mileage, it depends how it was driven. A car with 100000km all driven mainly on highway is a better bet than a 50000km car driven in town.

Land Rovers Defenders - easy to repair - unless you like solving complex puzzles in the weekend, I would avoid the Range Rovers etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
Fun times ahead for auto enthusiasts. I wish we could source good quality parts
You can get parts from abroad but you need to search and you need to wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
I need a low profile, comfortable everyday automatic and had almost gone and bought a Vento TSI/Rapid TDI DSG, but the Airbag scare on an Octavia and a new boost of patience has me looking again. I hadn't considered the Volvo S80, but here in Bangalore, the options would be few and far between! Any suggestions on how to pursue the search? The running costs don't concern me as much. As long as the car hasn't been abused, the costs are usually affordable.
There is no aide airbag in Rapid so why worry. S80 not many in Karnataka but keep eyes out. A couple in TN for sale but the stupid LTT spoils the party

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh_aveo1.4 View Post
Wow..lovely thread. Rated it 5 stars!
. Saw one 2007 BMW 325i single owner with 60k in Mumai, asking just 9 lakhs. Was very tempted to go for it since it can be used as an occasional drive and use the Sunny diesel/Honda City as my daily driver. But wasn't sure how the E90 series are.
They lack the space to be barges. 325i is not so bad reliability wise. Check suspension and cooling systems througly

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Does it make sense to buy these cars on loan or using cash down / private funding..
Cash down ideally, interest rates for these are sky high unless you can write off against company expense.
Old 11th November 2014, 19:03   #36
BHPian

That's a good thread

One more car which I didn't find on this list but goes at dirt cheap prices is Hyundai Elantra (pre-Fluidic versions). My cousin bought one @10k KMs, 1 year old at half the OTR price and served him well for next 3 years.
Old 11th November 2014, 19:15   #37
Senior - BHPian

Seemingly not my type of thread as I submit I put in 1.3 million rupees to get a new Innova - which came with just one airbag. But such threads do motivate me to be brave enough to buy a used Camry next time and save a lot of cash in the process.

And of course the best thing about such threads is that it momentarily lets you flirt with the idea that after all owning a Mercedes is not that difficult!
Alas many battles would need to be fought and won, before that ever happens in reality.

That aside, only yesterday I was reading through this. Very relevant to this thread: http://carbuying.jalopnik.com/5-thin...-ca-1582610274

Last edited by rrsteer : 11th November 2014 at 19:17.
rrsteer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2014, 19:38   #38
BHPian

Fantastic thread! The Fluence may not classify itself as a barge, but I believe it's a great buy in the used car market. 2 year old E2 models are available in the region of 8 lacs (That's half the OTR of a new one!), and does not have catastrophic maintenance figures. It is a true work horse with outstanding ride, very spacious and comfortable. I just do not understand why Renault couldn't move it off the shelf. IMO, it's a very practical buy.

Sonata Embera Transform has to be in the list! The transform avatar in the verna was a disaster, but it made the Sonata a very desirable car. You get good ones for well under 8 lacs.

I'm thinking of compiling a list of used cars available in various price brackets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
The Sonata was a miss, I will add it when I get time. Let me know what segments that I should target.
Ajmat, it will be fantastic if you could put that together. Many may not want to spend a million bucks on a used car. It will be great if all the used car options in the region of 2 - 8 Lacs can be compiled into a single list.

Last edited by moralfibre : 12th November 2014 at 09:43. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 11th November 2014, 20:22   #39
BHPian

No doubt yet again a useful thread advocating the "beauty of lateral upgrade".
I would like to add CR-Vs too in this list for their pathetic resale value. A throughout modern and comtemporary Softroader with Bullet Proof reliability and the big H badge! Though Petrol engined, but its still economic for its size, and the price it is going for now a days makes it worth mentioning here.
Zinda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2014, 20:40   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinda View Post
No doubt yet again a useful thread advocating the "beauty of lateral upgrade".
I would like to add CR-Vs too in this list for their pathetic resale value. A throughout modern and comtemporary Softroader with Bullet Proof reliability and the big H badge! Though Petrol engined, but its still economic for its size, and the price it is going for now a days makes it worth mentioning here.
I second that thought Zinda. Was just going to type that now and saw you mentioned that! Yup, if the Accord can be in the list, so can the CRV. Same engine, good power, comfortable and handles very well for a SUV.
rosh_aveo1.4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2014, 20:43   #41
BHPian

Quote:
There is no aide airbag in Rapid so why worry. S80 not many in Karnataka but keep eyes out. A couple in TN for sale but the stupid LTT spoils the party
I'm aware that the Rapid doesn't have side Airbags. I'm actually a very satisfied Skoda customer, so is the rest of my family despite having experienced 2 mechatronics failures in a Superb. The company really came through in rectifying the problem, despite the car being out of warranty.
I don't know what types of airbags modules (Pyro/Compressed) are being used presently and if a production batch of the modules themselves may have some quality glitch, it can translate into a bigger issue. I have first hand information of how cutting small seemingly unimportant corners can induce stresses which cause a component to fail months after being passed. This kind of a situation happens surprisingly often in today's complicated supply chain. It's one of the reasons I try to avoid the first production batch of anything, camera, car, whatever.
While I'm okay with an issue in a car, there's something fishy about Skoda's response and I'm waiting and watching to see how they handle it. I have noticed a general improvement in pre and post sales experience and if Skoda can transparently identify the problem, I'll happily keep a Skoda in my stable for the foreseeable future.

In any case I'm looking at a couple of Passats this week. So let's see how that goes
Old 11th November 2014, 21:15   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Two cars that came to mind at once are the Camry and the Teana. Nothing else came to my mind.
In fact can see lots of old gen D segment cars in Kerala with brand new regd. plates. So presumably bought from Mumbai or Delhi in cheap.
Old 12th November 2014, 02:03   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Let me know what segments that I should target.
I think you should consider CRV, from what I have seen personally almost 90% of the 1st owners of CRV actually were barge customers who did not want the headache of low GC car while the driver is driving and second most important reason why these owners bought it was the ease of getting in and out as most of them were in the age group of 50-60, and sedans were low straining their knees, backs etc. The remaining 10% owners were in the age group of 40-50 some of them who wanted to drive themselves but never ventured with it off road ever, only bad roads but never off the road. And none of them really cared if it was a 2WD or a AWD car. These are the real reasons why CRVs sold in reasonably good numbers [until 2009] though only petrol engine was on offer.
Old 12th November 2014, 07:58   #44
Senior - BHPian

Very interesting line up of cars.

I recall taking the old Hyundai Sonata V6 for a spin from the dealer. Yes; I could easily afford one with Rs. 7000 salary 10 years ago...he he. This was my idea and I took FM tharian along too. We had a blast on the ring road. 10-11 years ago, ring road was the place to check top speed and pull off any speed stunt you wanted with a car or motorcycle. I did not know much about ride and handling but I will say this, that Hyundai was a seriously quick car and probably is even today. This was also my first automatic experience.

Though the brand has been given a mention, the car I would aim for isn't on the list. It is the 2012 Volvo S60 T6. I have seen just a couple of these cars on the road so finding one might be next to impossible. You can't ignore the numbers on this car. 3l, turbo charged, straight six that delivers 300bhp, 325nm of torque and 0-96 in 6 seconds. The car sure has a boring dashboard layout but the exterior remains sharp as ever even if it is a model that is sold today.
Old 12th November 2014, 08:20   #45
Senior - BHPian

I feel its becoming more sensible to buy a second hand cars, especially when it comes to the luxury segment. Indian car buyers are somewhat following a trend where they tend to replace the car every 2-3 years or whenever a new model is launched.

Many a times, such car owners don't simply sell the car but rather dispose them off at as little as 30% of their costs.

I know of someone in Ernakulam who recently bought a second hand Skoda Suberb II diesel Elegance, for a mere 9 lakhs!

However, its also a very good idea to really scrutinize a car especially if the price is too low and it appears to be very less run!

Most Viewed