Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2017, 20:10   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: USED INR 15 lakhs connundrum

IF you are interested in a german car, don't spend all your 15 lakhs just on buying it as you will need a couple of lakhs to guarantee that you can bring it up to perfect running condition. Just research how much a battery on a C-Class costs and you will know what I mean. German cars certainly do offer aspirational value but stretching your budget to buy a post 2011 model that will still most likely be out of warranty is not a good idea. Either hold back, go for a less brilliant pre 2011 model car which ought to cost less so that you have the money required to make it like new, or forget it.

I would say go for the Teana. It is an absolutely brilliant car and in terms of comfort, it outclasses everything else. No superb or 3 series comes close to the way the Teana cossets you in its plush seats in what may not be the most sophisticated interiors, but definitely the most pleasant environment to be in. Being a japanese car, you really don't have to worry too much about local Nissan service and whether or not the authorized service center is good or not. Any competent independent garage should be able to handle your car easily. I own a CBU Kizashi and I have never waited more than 2 weeks, for something as random as the memory seat switch which had to be imported from Japan as they had no stock in Gurgaon. Even my trusted garage owner back in Hyderabad has always maintained that if it is a Japanese car, sourcing parts for it will always be relatively easy regardless of how rare it is, and he is quite the pro with a large setup that can handle absolutely anything (I regularly see him performing incredible restorations and working on sophisticated expensive cars) so I trust what he says usually and this does concur with my experience too. This is honestly the only car I would recommend considering your requirements.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2017, 20:14   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvritzed View Post
You can look at A4, pretty reliabile and smooth.
Should get a good one from 2011/12 in that budget.
Octavia tsi is a great option too, has good legroom and much lesser on the pocket
About the Fortuner, IMO it is the worst car to buy 2nd hand because of a very high resale value plus only 4 speed automatic that is aged.
X1 petrol would come with a low mileage, you can look at that too
Mercedes should largely be avoided due to the obscene prices of service parts and repairs
As a matter of fact 2013 A4 cards are available in this budget. However most of these cars are run 50K plus... and have not heard great After Sales tories about Audi...

Also have driven the Passat 1.8 tsi ...so looking for a bit of a change...hence not lookng at a Skoda....Well Merc C class 2010-2012 are available in the range..so are E-Class from the 2010-11 range..not sure on the maintenance part though..i`ve heard Audi is worse off compared to a Beemer and Merc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
Well since it's gonna be self driven (by you and your wife) I'd suggest the 3 series hands down. There's nothing that can beat the performance of one in that range and price and you should be able to find some good examples around. The E90s are mostly reliable as they have pretty simple tech and since your location shows Mumbai there are a few companies which provides "extended warranty" for these cars
Yes am seriously looking at E90 series...Which model is pref-able there..320d or 320i /325i?
Old 2nd July 2017, 20:25   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
IF you are interested in a german car, don't spend all your 15 lakhs just on buying it as you will need a couple of lakhs to guarantee that you can bring it up to perfect running condition. Just research how much a battery on a C-Class costs and you will know what I mean. German cars certainly do offer aspirational value but stretching your budget to buy a post 2011 model that will still most likely be out of warranty is not a good idea. Either hold back, go for a less brilliant pre 2011 model car which ought to cost less so that you have the money required to make it like new, or forget it.

I would say go for the Teana. It is an absolutely brilliant car and in terms of comfort, it outclasses everything else. No superb or 3 series comes close to the way the Teana cossets you in its plush seats in what may not be the most sophisticated interiors, but definitely the most pleasant environment to be in. Being a japanese car, you really don't have to worry too much about local Nissan service and whether or not the authorized service center is good or not. Any competent independent garage should be able to handle your car easily. I own a CBU Kizashi and I have never waited more than 2 weeks, for something as random as the memory seat switch which had to be imported from Japan as they had no stock in Gurgaon. Even my trusted garage owner back in Hyderabad has always maintained that if it is a Japanese car, sourcing parts for it will always be relatively easy regardless of how rare it is, and he is quite the pro with a large setup that can handle absolutely anything (I regularly see him performing incredible restorations and working on sophisticated expensive cars) so I trust what he says usually and this does concur with my experience too. This is honestly the only car I would recommend considering your requirements.
So how has your experience been with the Kizashi? Japenese cars do seem more reliable.. However are these imported parts expensive?? On a separate note, Teana do seem to be going relatively cheap...

Also thought of also looking at Pajero Sport...
Old 2nd July 2017, 20:44   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punitkakri View Post
So how has your experience been with the Kizashi? Japenese cars do seem more reliable.. However are these imported parts expensive?? On a separate note, Teana do seem to be going relatively cheap...
So far brilliant apart from the fact that the Kizashi sold poorly across a globe and not just in India which makes diagnosing an issue a bit of a task for anyone. That said it has been fairly reliable for me and obviously since it is fully imported, parts are expensive but still much cheaper than VAG parts. Japanese cars tend to run tried and tested stuff there is no direct injection, forced induction blah blah blah just simple variable valve timing that has been proven for over a decade now. This is the reason you do not see transmission failures, fuel pump failures, affinity towards hydro locking etc. in a Japanese car. They stray away from sophisticated mechanicals unless they have been proven over years of usage.

Coming specifically to cost of parts, the difference between a Creta/City/Ecosport and a Teana/Superb/CR-V is night and day. These cars do have very expensive parts. Break something and you are looking at a huge bill regardless of where you have it serviced simply due to import taxes. That said, the driving and travel experience in these more expensive cars (sedans as the SUVs cost more for the manufacturer to make hence you do not get crazy levels of build and material quality), is simply far superior. Forget a class above, they truly aren't even on the same level.

Quote:
Also thought of also looking at Pajero Sport...
You really need to jot down your priorities or what you want to be driving. An SUV which allows you to bash on regardless over our terrible Indian road surfaces, or a Sedan which makes you the king out on the highway and retains inherent properties like low center of gravity thus allowing you to make any high speed maneuvers, more confidently with no risk of rolling. Then you need to wonder whether you want comfort or outright handling prowess and driver involvement. For example the Teana has next to no feedback from its steering wheel and a calm transmission, but is still a joy to drive as long as you aren't pushing your limits skill wise and you drive it smoothly. The 3 series is far more elctric to drive but far less comfortable to be in, the Pajero is fairly involving to drive, but scary around bends as it rolls about like a sky-scraper.
Old 2nd July 2017, 20:50   #125
BHPian

Quote:
As a matter of fact 2013 A4 cards are available in this budget. However most of these cars are run 50K plus... and have not heard great After Sales tories about Audi...
Well, mine has run 90k without a major glitch, reliability is super and Audi was generous enough to change engine mounts at 74k last year even when the car was out of extended warranty as a goodwill gesture.
More often than not have heard horror stories of Mercedes, a friend's E class had an ignition barrel failure, he had to cough up 2.63 Lacs for starting it
Plus Audi's presence in Delhi is super so makes it a much better case than BMW or Mercedes

Last edited by noopster : 2nd July 2017 at 21:29. Reason: Fixed quote tags
Old 2nd July 2017, 22:33   #126
Senior - BHPian

A4 vs Jetta. I dont want to ruin it but i personally didnt feel A4 offering anything majorly different to the Jetta. Views will differ.
The list you have ranges from Car for driving to car for carrying school kids. Unless you really prioritize the purpose its going to be a never ending war between heart and head.

You already know what the trouble free options are. Kick out all non Asian cars and you will be left with the best.

Merc or BMW - Just keep an additional budget over 5 years. Say 5-7 L for worst case scenarios.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2017, 23:16   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Yes am seriously looking at E90 series...Which model is pref-able there..320d or 320i /325i?
The E90 320d is your safest bet and is a very good all rounder be it in performance or efficiency, the 325i will be bonkers as it has a 6-cyl engine and it's really a gem of a motor. Stay away from the 320i as it's neither very efficient nor very fun to drive. 320d > 325i > 320i. Best luck
Old 3rd July 2017, 06:41   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post

You really need to jot down your priorities or what you want to be driving. An SUV which allows you to bash on regardless over our terrible Indian road surfaces, or a Sedan which makes you the king out on the highway and retains inherent properties like low center of gravity thus allowing you to make any high speed maneuvers, more confidently with no risk of rolling. Then you need to wonder whether you want comfort or outright handling prowess and driver involvement. For example the Teana has next to no feedback from its steering wheel and a calm transmission, but is still a joy to drive as long as you aren't pushing your limits skill wise and you drive it smoothly. The 3 series is far more elctric to drive but far less comfortable to be in, the Pajero is fairly involving to drive, but scary around bends as it rolls about like a sky-scraper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
A4 vs Jetta. I dont want to ruin it but i personally didnt feel A4 offering anything majorly different to the Jetta. Views will differ.
The list you have ranges from Car for driving to car for carrying school kids. Unless you really prioritize the purpose its going to be a never ending war between heart and head.

You already know what the trouble free options are. Kick out all non Asian cars and you will be left with the best.

Merc or BMW - Just keep an additional budget over 5 years. Say 5-7 L for worst case scenarios.

Wee here goes with regard to consideration points
1. Needs to be a bit of an upgrade/ similar level to a Passat
2. Needs to drive reasonably well
3. Needs to be fairly reliable with no more than 50K spent in a year
4. Primarily for city driving
5. Running is less than 5K a year so fuel costs dont really matter
6. Should be fairly comfortable place to be in.

Just reiterating, will not be spend more than 5K a year in this car. Hence fuel wont matter. Yes Reliability, manoeuvrability in traffic, front seat comfort and
a bit of driving pleasure would help.

Open to SUV or a sedan.
Old 27th March 2018, 23:19   #129
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dependable pre-owned Barges & Luxury Cars for Rs. 10-15 Lakhs

Guys this one is a weird query, I am in my mid 20's, and wish to gift my dad some car for weekend use, I am aiming to save around 15L(will need a year to save this thanks a lot demon) for this to make his wish of owning a luxury car come true.

Requirements:
  • Strictly from the German trios.
  • Only purpose would be for him to drive it few kms on weekends.
  • Petrol would be a better option, since petrol cars are cheaper, hence I can save up sooner.
  • Should at least put out around 180-200Bhp, or dad won't be impressed
  • Decent features to make it feel like a luxury car, and not some platform shared budget car.(sunroof, ambient lighting and so on).
  • Need not be practical.
  • Fuel efficiency doesn't matter.
  • Maintenance should be around 50K a year.(Independent garage)

I am being too optimistic to get this done, being a middle class guy struggling at business, with zero backing form anyone, but wish to gift him before he stops driving cars all together.
giri1.8 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th March 2018, 00:44   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely thought. How about a Merc - C class. For his generation (ie my lot) a Merc was and is the barometer of having arrived. I am no expert on prices but if you push back 5 to 7 years you could get one without a problem. Great to hear you are an entrepreneur....a very tough but eventually rewarding path. Once you've tasted on ounce of success you cannot go back to being an employee. Best of luck. I shall watch eagerly what your final decision is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Guys this one is a weird query, I am in my mid 20's, and wish to gift my dad some car for weekend use, I am aiming to save around 15L(will need a year to save this thanks a lot demon) for this to make his wish of owning a luxury car come true.

Requirements:
  • Petrol would be a better option, since petrol cars are cheaper, hence I can save up sooner.
  • Decent features to make it feel like a luxury car, and not some platform shared budget car.(sunroof, ambient lighting and so on).
  • Need not be practical.

I am being too optimistic to get this done, being a middle class guy struggling at business, with zero backing form anyone, but wish to gift him before he stops driving cars all together.
V.Narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2018, 00:59   #131
BHPian

Quote:

Requirements:
  • Need not be practical.

I feel the 320d will be the best fit for your requirements. The E10 i.e. models before 2013 should for your budget. I would suggest you not to go for rare, very expensive when new barges, as they would be tough to maintain as this would be your first luxury car. A C class usually commands a higher resale value compared to others in its class. An A4 is not a fun to drive car hence best avoided.

Another option is to look for an A3 petrol since you are not looking for practicality. Though finding one within 15L would be tough but it's the only car you may be able to get with the company warranty.
ToyotaFan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2018, 09:35   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
How about a Merc - C class. For his generation (ie my lot) a Merc was and is the barometer of having arrived. I am no expert on prices but if you push back 5 to 7 years you could get one without a problem.
Merc is everyone's dream ride for sure, only concern is it's cost of regular service! GLA fits the bill perfectly, but that engine might be a big turnoff.

Thanks a lot for your support, I am going against the tide by not immigrating to a place where life is easier, I do need some sort of Goal to keep me going. Will keep everyone posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
I feel the 320d will be the best fit for your requirements. The E10 i.e. models before 2013 should for your budget.

Another option is to look for an A3 petrol since you are not looking for practicality. Though finding one within 15L would be tough but it's the only car you may be able to get with the company warranty.
Both the cars are on my mind, 325i might be hard to find, but wish to know if it is decently reliable. X1 petrol too seems okayish.

P.S: Since I am looking for a used one, I need to have multiple options, hence my interest in multiple brands/models/engine options.
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2018, 11:14   #133
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:

Requirements:
  • Need not be practical.

Look for a well maintained C200 CGi, It satisfies most of your requirements. It's fully loaded, has a nice turbo petrol and will feel luxurious.
The E90 BMW 320d is an enthusiast's delight but it has a bone jarring ride. The merc is far more comfortable and at the same time doesn't sacrifice on the handling characteristic.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2018, 12:39   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys this one is a weird query...
Hope weird answers are allowed. It's a bad idea. A son emptying his bank account for a pre-owned luxury car gift is not a happy occasion in any parent's mind. Take inspiration from Mastercard 'priceless' ads New Polo TSI: Rs 10L. The joy of driving a car gifted by son: priceless.
androdev is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th March 2018, 15:38   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Look for a well maintained C200 CGi, It satisfies most of your requirements. It's fully loaded, has a nice turbo petrol and will feel luxurious.
The E90 BMW 320d is an enthusiast's delight but it has a bone jarring ride. The merc is far more comfortable and at the same time doesn't sacrifice on the handling characteristic.
I always shy away from older Benz or the ones above B class, service is said to be expensive when compared the other two, but will surely have it in mind when I make a final list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Hope weird answers are allowed. It's a bad idea. A son emptying his bank account for a pre-owned luxury car gift is not a happy occasion in any parent's mind. Take inspiration from Mastercard 'priceless' ads New Polo TSI: Rs 10L. The joy of driving a car gifted by son: priceless.

I am sure it would be a bad idea, to empty my account, but I do need some inspiration to fill it first Young entrepreneurs would understand my current situation.

TSI is well within my dad's reach, he could get one by taking a loan, will consider this option if nothing goes right.

Most Viewed