Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2015, 00:19   #31
BANNED

Re: Automatic car in the 12 - 13 lakh range?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
You mean Fiesta AT? Fiesta no longer comes with an AT variant.
Oops! When did this happen? This is sad. Only ES from Ford stable then.
Old 20th February 2015, 06:50   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
Oops! When did this happen? This is sad. Only ES from Ford stable then.
Happened with the fiesta refresh last year. Forget AT, there is no manual petrol version itself. Funny thought process from the folks running Ford India. Kind of unexplainable.
Apart from VW They are the only folks with a Dual Clutch AT and for buyers worried about VW DSG history and after sales, a fiesta DCT AT would have been ideal. Icing on the cake would be the AT mated to the Ecoboost engine. But apparently Ford management thinks otherwise.
Old 22nd February 2015, 09:46   #33
BHPian

Posting on behalf of my dad who is looking at buying a new car. I would want him to get a automatic for the sheer convineance. Safety features are A MUST. Running will be low to the tune of 500kms a month, so looking at patrols only.

He's flexible with the budget and we have currently shortlisted the city AT. However he is not comfortable with a largish car and would prefer having a hatchback/compact sedan.

The car will also be chauffeur driven a lot of times, so back seat space/comfort is also important.

What are my options? I am planning to look at the following: Micra, brio, grand i10, zest, xcent.

Any idea if jazz/i20 may be launch with autos soon. Those will be the best bet.
Old 22nd February 2015, 13:21   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post
Posting on behalf of my dad who is looking at buying a new car. I would want him to get a automatic for the sheer convineance. Safety features are A MUST. Running will be low to the tune of 500kms a month, so looking at patrols only.

He's flexible with the budget and we have currently shortlisted the city AT. However he is not comfortable with a largish car and would prefer having a hatchback/compact sedan.

The car will also be chauffeur driven a lot of times, so back seat space/comfort is also important.

What are my options? I am planning to look at the following: Micra, brio, grand i10, zest, xcent.

Check the Sunny Auto. Might fill the bill perfectly.
Old 22nd February 2015, 13:26   #35
BHPian

Quote:

I would not wait for i20, as chances are this car like new verna may have obsolete AT. Jazz pricing was never spot on and with brio pricing in hatcback territory jazz may be priced in between C1 and C2 segment cars.

I would have recommended brio but it is not spacious in backseat. Hence not suitable for chauffer rides. You could also look at amaze, it has low turning radius and decently spacious in back seat.
Old 22nd February 2015, 14:14   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The AT variant of Grand i10 and zest does not come with safety features. So those are out.

Micra, brio and xcent are all decent options with its own strengths and weaknesses. Test drive all of these and see what suits best.

If you are ok with VW, the polo tsi is a great option

Edit: consisting back seat comfort, I think the brio would be best of the lot. Jazz would be a perfect choice if it comes with an AT option. But I don't think there is any concrete news regarding Jazz.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 22nd February 2015 at 14:20.
Old 23rd February 2015, 10:11   #37
BHPian

Check out the Amaze V AT. Seems to check all your boxes. Excellent both in terms of driveability and backseat comfort (for 2).
Old 23rd February 2015, 10:24   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra View Post
Check out the Amaze V AT. Seems to check all your boxes. Excellent both in terms of driveability and backseat comfort (for 2).
You get only VX AT with safety features.

Other options:

1. VW Vento Comfortline 1.2 TSI AT Petrol - 11.5 lakhs on road mumbai.
2. Ford Ecosport 1.5 Ti-VCT AT Titanium Petrol - 11.6L on road (6 airbags)
3. Hyundai Xcent SX (O) 1.2L Petrol AT - 8.9L on road.

Above 3 are better options vs the Amaze which has no features vs the Xcent is poorly built and costs more than the Xcent at 9.3L on road.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2015, 17:29   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Other options:

Above 3 are better options vs the Amaze which has no features vs the Xcent is poorly built and costs more than the Xcent at 9.3L on road.
True, but his father wants a hatchback or compact sedan.
Xcent has a very cramped back seat, and the AT, if its the same as grand i10, can be a sluggish mover on open roads.
As I have learnt the hard way, you can live with lesser features, but lack of space and power will always pinch you.
Old 8th March 2015, 17:57   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
Check the Sunny Auto. Might fill the bill perfectly.
Dad finds the sunny too longish for when he has to self drive. For a chauffeur driven car it's a great bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
I would not wait for i20, as chances are this car like new verna may have obsolete AT. Jazz pricing was never spot on and with brio pricing in hatcback territory jazz may be priced in between C1 and C2 segment cars.

I would have recommended brio but it is not spacious in backseat. Hence not suitable for chauffer rides. You could also look at amaze, it has low turning radius and decently spacious in back seat.
Agree. Hoping Hyundai does launch it with an updated AT box. amaze is now part of the shortlist. I like the car. Just that the top end pricing is quiet close to eco sport. Confused between the 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
The AT variant of Grand i10 and zest does not come with safety features. So those are out.

Micra, brio and xcent are all decent options with its own strengths and weaknesses. Test drive all of these and see what suits best.

If you are ok with VW, the polo tsi is a great option

Edit: consisting back seat comfort, I think the brio would be best of the lot. Jazz would be a perfect choice if it comes with an AT option. But I don't think there is any concrete news regarding Jazz.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Other options:

Quote:
Xcent has a very cramped back seat, and the AT, if its the same as grand i10, can be a sluggish mover on open roads.
As I have learnt the hard way, you can live with lesser features, but lack of space and power will always pinch you.
The current shortlist is Amaze and eco sport followed by the honda City. If dad is ok with the city's length, it's a sealed deal. Else will continue to look. Have my hopes pinned on jazz coming with an automatic and getting priced lower/close to amaze.
Old 8th March 2015, 18:44   #41
Team-BHP Support

Automatic car in the 12 - 13 lakh range?

Quote:

By cramped, do you mean the seat width? Xcent is a two seater at best, but has almost as much legroom as the Amaze. With rear a/c vents, good ride quality, and centre armrests and good space - I find it a very comfortable place to be in.

If three people need to sit in the back seat, look elsewhere. Only the Zest qualifies here though, not even the Amaze.

Regarding the 4 speed or 5 speed AT discussion- the car will be used by his dad and the chauffeur. I suggest to let his dad drive and decide. We team-BHP'ians go all out on the specs - but most people like the Hyundai ATs for their smooth operation. The 1.2 has enough power on tap and the old school torque converter really helps it feel good enough in the city. Highway runs are handled decently as well, and more details can be had at BHP'ian Rajain's ownership thread.

Quote:

amaze is now part of the shortlist. I like the car. Just that the top end pricing is quiet close to eco sport. Confused between the 2!

The current shortlist is Amaze and eco sport followed by the honda City.
City would be my choice, followed by Xcent and Ecosport. Ecosport would have been my favourite, had you not mentioned the chauffeur driven part. It is a brilliant car from the front seat though.

PS- I have gone through the same exercise recently and ended up with the Xcent AT for parents. Your dad might like the extra quality, convenience (rear view camera + sensors help big time in the City) and comfort of the Hyundai more than the extra gear you are worried about. Here's the log on my experience, if it helps- http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3471409
Attached Thumbnails
Automatic car in the 12 - 13 lakh range?-image.jpg  

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 8th March 2015 at 19:09.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2015, 23:55   #42
BHPian

If dimensions are a concern, the ford ecosport should fit the budget. The legroom at the back is good enough, thanks to the higher seating position. Again, the higher position eases ingress and agress in the car. The engine and the gearbox are a good combination for when your fathers plans to drive.
Old 16th March 2015, 07:03   #43
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I would suggest try the new Verna 4S - nice and stylish, feature loaded and first class service from Hyundai.
Its a great VFM buy and I really like it very much.
Old 16th March 2015, 09:43   #44
Senior - BHPian

Seeing that you are based in Noida/Delhi, and hence have relatively lower taxes, I'd suggest that with your budget you look at one segment above what you are presently looking. I bought the Ecosport AT at just shy of 10 Lakhs INR, and after the price increase it is at around 10.5-ish. The GT TSI is cheaper, and the other two of your choices are slightly more expensive. The Hyundai, I'd not recommend, owing to it's gearbox though.

Have you figured out how much you are getting the Jetta and Cruze for? It may be more fun to get a significantly better car for a little more money (1-2 Lakhs tops), than live with a lesser one knowing that you could have got better.

Having said that, if Performance is something you are after, then your top choice is the Vento/Rapid twins, but if flexibility is what you are after, it'd be the Ecosport.
Old 16th March 2015, 13:57   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
If dimensions are a concern, the ford ecosport should fit the budget. The legroom at the back is good enough, thanks to the higher seating position. Again, the higher position eases ingress and agress in the car. The engine and the gearbox are a good combination for when your fathers plans to drive.
New contender is something I was wishing for since long: Xest XT AMT. Its compact and diesel and automatic. just perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I would suggest try the new Verna 4S - nice and stylish, feature loaded and first class service from Hyundai.
Its a great VFM buy and I really like it very much.
Nope not even considering due to the gearbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Seeing that you are based in Noida/Delhi, and hence have relatively lower taxes, I'd suggest that with your budget you look at one segment above what you are presently looking. I bought the Ecosport AT at just shy of 10 Lakhs INR, and after the price increase it is at around 10.5-ish. The GT TSI is cheaper, and the other two of your choices are slightly more expensive. The Hyundai, I'd not recommend, owing to it's gearbox though.

Have you figured out how much you are getting the Jetta and Cruze for? It may be more fun to get a significantly better car for a little more money (1-2 Lakhs tops), than live with a lesser one knowing that you could have got better.

Having said that, if Performance is something you are after, then your top choice is the Vento/Rapid twins, but if flexibility is what you are after, it'd be the Ecosport.
Will explore the option of Cruze/Jetta.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks