Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2015, 07:33   #46
BHPian

Re: Automatic car in the 12 - 13 lakh range?

Have you considered the used car option? Considering the amount of time you have, I think you should consider a clean used AT which is less than 2 years old and still in company warranty. Then simply purchase the extended warranty. You will save lakhs in budget so won't have to worry about petrol vs diesel fight anyway. Else you can get a cool looking used higher segment car.

Also you have to make a choice between mileage, spaciousness and power. When a gearbox tries to be fuel efficient, it tends to loose on pickup (e.g Sunny). So you need to decide what amount of pick-up is good enough for you. Similarly Diesel engines will always be more fuel efficient than petrol ones and you will save Rs 1.5 per km. do the math.

Ecosport/amaze/zest/xcent or most sub-4 segment cars have small rear seats. These were primarily designed for middle class self driving family where parents sit in front and kids sit in the back. Rear seat becomes a pain for adults on longer drives, whereas front passengers can still manage it. But you can forget the looks department as these are utility cars.
Old 17th April 2015, 20:49   #47
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChupaRustam View Post
Have you considered the used car option? Considering the amount of time you have, I think you should consider a clean used AT which is less than 2 years old and still in company warranty. Then simply purchase the extended warranty. You will save lakhs in budget so won't have to worry about petrol vs diesel fight anyway. Else you can get a cool looking used higher segment car.

Also you have to make a choice between mileage, spaciousness and power. When a gearbox tries to be fuel efficient, it tends to loose on pickup (e.g Sunny). So you need to decide what amount of pick-up is good enough for you. Similarly Diesel engines will always be more fuel efficient than petrol ones and you will save Rs 1.5 per km. do the math.

Ecosport/amaze/zest/xcent or most sub-4 segment cars have small rear seats. These were primarily designed for middle class self driving family where parents sit in front and kids sit in the back. Rear seat becomes a pain for adults on longer drives, whereas front passengers can still manage it. But you can forget the looks department as these are utility cars.
I have definitely explored the used option. Dad has a strict rule against used cars and that is that a used car will never come home.

On the other hand,

Is it worth increasing budget by 3-4 lacs and getting a D segment car?
Old 20th April 2015, 12:34   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
I have definitely explored the used option. Dad has a strict rule against used cars and that is that a used car will never come home.

On the other hand,

Is it worth increasing budget by 3-4 lacs and getting a D segment car?
Any D segment car is better than a C segment car, being more spacious and nicer looking, with generally 20% bigger engine. Except that mileage will be 20% less and price of components will be higher.

One of my friends works for automobile company and says following for C segment ATs, which I also agree
- Vento TDI is the best car in the segment beyond doubt. It has used very good quality components. The German tag is considered quite premium as VW is the mommy of Audi. Being diesel, the mileage is good too. This is the one to impress your girlfriend while assuring your mom regarding the safety. Only main issue is lesser rear bench space. But for 2-4 people, it is brilliant.
- Honda/Ciaz have maximum space. In my family, we are 7 people including a baby and can manage to sit in Ciaz fairly comfortably for short drives. But we couldn't fit in Vento altogether. Ciaz lacks cruise control and is 1 lakh cheaper than Honda. Otherwise both are pretty much same. This is best for a family/married people.
- Verna sells too but lacks premium feel. Its a practical and feature rich car, but its Korean, which doesn't have the same feel as German of Japanese.

All other cars in the segment seem like "also rans" only and IMHO should be avoided.
Old 6th August 2015, 17:08   #49
BHPian

I need help in deciding which car to buy. I intend to make a purchase in next 2-3 months max.

My daily drive from home to office is 27 kms one way or 54 kms total.

I will be buying through canteen and following are the prices and the options:

1.Vento TSI - 9.75L (top end model)
2. Polo TSI - 7.99L (top end model)
3. Ecosport AT (not canteen item) Delhi price 9.75L
4. Vento TDI 10.35L (middle variant). I am assured by dealer discount will be given to bring invoice value below 10L.

As you can see I am confused between going for top end Vento TSi or middle variant Vento TDI

or

Save money and go for hatch and buy Polo TSI.

Another problem is I have weak eyesight and prefer getting full view of bonnet but no cars or sedans have that so maybe look at SUV?

I already have Swift and people around me keep suggesting that since I am going to keep new car for at-least 5-6 years then why not go for Vento as it will give me upgrade feel. I am not totally convinced.

All suggestions welcome!

Last edited by heydj : 6th August 2015 at 17:09.
Old 6th August 2015, 19:23   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
I need help in deciding which car to buy. I intend to make a purchase in next 2-3 months max.

I will be buying through canteen and following are the prices and the options:

1.Vento TSI - 9.75L (top end model)
2. Polo TSI - 7.99L (top end model)
3. Ecosport AT (not canteen item) Delhi price 9.75L
4. Vento TDI 10.35L (middle variant). I am assured by dealer discount will be given to bring invoice value below 10L.

As you can see I am confused between going for top end Vento TSi or middle variant Vento TDI

or

Save money and go for hatch and buy Polo TSI.

Another problem is I have weak eyesight and prefer getting full view of bonnet but no cars or sedans have that so maybe look at SUV?

I already have Swift and people around me keep suggesting that since I am going to keep new car for at-least 5-6 years then why not go for Vento as it will give me upgrade feel. I am not totally convinced.

All suggestions welcome!
If you do not need the rear seat space and boot space of a sedan, the Polo TSI would be a practical choice. But as mentioned, it may not feel as a proper upgrade.

If your daily drive is not through heavy traffic, the Vento TSI would return good mileage and personally would be my choice. But if your daily route is traffic filled, the additional mileage of the diesel will help and hence it probably makes more sense to go the Vento TDI DSG.

The Ecosport A-Pillars are quite thick and hence the all round visibility you are looking for will be compromised.

The new Creta has a good end to end view of the bonnet, but it may be beyond the budget you have and also may not be available via canteen in the near future.
Old 6th August 2015, 20:40   #51
BHPian

I live in south delhi and would be travelling to gurgaon via IIT gate, one of the most choked routes.

Middle variant Vento TSI via csd is 9.35L. Considering fuel prices, should I be looking at TDI Vento?

i think Polo TSI is most practical, but it does not feel like a upgrade. Should I wait for Aspire DCT?
Old 6th August 2015, 21:49   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I live in south delhi and would be travelling to gurgaon via IIT gate, one of the most choked routes.

Middle variant Vento TSI via csd is 9.35L. Considering fuel prices, should I be looking at TDI Vento?

i think Polo TSI is most practical, but it does not feel like a upgrade. Should I wait for Aspire DCT?
Definitely look at the Aspire. It will launch on Aug 12th. Overall, If the drive is a mix of choked roads and some open stretches, the TSI will give you an mileage of around 10-11. Your regular run would be 1000+ km per month, assuming weekend runs and occasional long trips, usage will go up further. So maybe the TDI DSG is the better option with respect to the fuel cost impact.
Old 6th August 2015, 23:07   #53
BHPian

Between DCT and DSG which is better?

1.2 Turbo charged VW vs 1.5 normal Ford engine, what will be more fun to drive?
Old 6th August 2015, 23:22   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Between DCT and DSG which is better?

1.2 Turbo charged VW vs 1.5 normal Ford engine, what will be more fun to drive?
The DCT and DSG maybe equally matched. But the key is in the engine they are mated to. In that way the TSI will definitely be more fun to drive.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 02:38   #55
BHPian

Heydj,

You have not mentioned what are your priorities in detail. Each of these cars have some advantages and some disadvantages, which you need to consider for trade offs. e.g. TDI has higher mileage than TSI, but is more noisier. Polo's rear seat and boot is small. Eco sport has a tall driving position and feels like SUV, although it's not so long.
Old 10th August 2015, 20:35   #56
BHPian

chuparustam so far only these things are certain:

Budget 10L, fun to drive auto, daily drive of 54kms, and feeling of upgrade over present hatch swift.

Tempted towards TSI and TDI options but hesitating as these don't invoke same sense of want inside me as Swift did!
Old 10th August 2015, 21:56   #57
BHPian

Quote:

All suggestions welcome!
By looking at your usage and the conditions you are driving in, I would strongly recommend you to look at diesel cars since it will be a better proposition in the long run.

From the options you have listed so far, the Vento TDI DSG makes the most sense but if you are not too off-put by the ideas of used cars, you should look at the Skoda Laura and VW Jetta as well. No one would ever question that upgrade against the Swift.

As for your other problem, I have the most VFM solution, which is visit an optician and get yourself some corrective lenses . It'll be a heck of lot cheaper than trying to upgrade from sedan to a SUV with the added bonus of clear vision even when outside the car.
jalajprakash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 16:25   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalajprakash View Post
By looking at your usage and the conditions you are driving in, I would strongly recommend you to look at diesel cars since it will be a better proposition in the long run.

From the options you have listed so far, the Vento TDI DSG makes the most sense but if you are not too off-put by the ideas of used cars, you should look at the Skoda Laura and VW Jetta as well. No one would ever question that upgrade against the Swift.
The price difference of 1.2L between Vento TSi & TDI and more than 2.5L between Polo TSI and Vento TDI, is a deal breaker. Moreover I am not sure whether to go for Polo or Vento. Heart says Polo TSI but head says Vento TSI.

Parents completely against used car option else would have looked at some really classy cars available.

Eyesight is only one of the things - I actually prefer the complete view of bonnet but unfortunately can't think of any SUV with auto within my budget.

Does any one here think Creta AT deserves the price tag?
Old 11th August 2015, 16:36   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Eyesight is only one of the things - I actually prefer the complete view of bonnet but unfortunately can't think of any SUV with auto within my budget.

Does any one here think Creta AT deserves the price tag?
Is the Scorpio AT even in your contention?
Only that car (except the old ones like Old Honda City AT and similar ones) can give you that view I think.
Old 11th August 2015, 16:52   #60
BHPian

Yes looked at Scorpio AT, like the looks from the front but back leaves lot be desired. Will be taking test drive soon though have less expectations because I doubt Mahindra has better ride quality than Nissan.

Last Saturday I drove friends Terrano diesel(85 bhp) but found the ride not comfortable, gear shifts jerky, engine lacking acceleration power, ac inadequate, and overall nauseating feeling.

So far have found very few cars as comfortable to drive as my Swift, only if it came with AT.

Last edited by heydj : 11th August 2015 at 16:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks