Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2015, 10:57   #16
BHPian

Re: Automatic car in the 12 - 13 lakh range?

I think it should be the diesel options you are looking for, considering your monthly running. Given the current scenario, I would recommend the Vento or Rapid diesel DSG. I would pick the Vento, given that it feels more premium, and that you are now accustomed to VW after sales. It all boils down to personal choice, though.
On the other hand, you could wait for the face lifted Verna, whose launch is merely days away. In all likelihood, the 4 speed gearbox will continue, but if it is replaced with a more contemporary one, your search might just end there. The looks are just flooring, the refinement is surreal,the engine is powerful, and since backseat comfort is probably irrelevant to you, a diesel automatic Verna might just be the most compelling choice. It seems to be sufficiently safe as well.
Good luck choosing!
Old 14th February 2015, 11:47   #17
BHPian

I do agree, a diesel VW vento/Polo or Skoda 1.5, all with DSG would be the choice, given that DSG employs the latest technology in automatic transmission. I have not driven the Diesel/DSG combination. Reports indicate very good FE figures. I did get a chance to drive a new petrol Vento TSI/DSG and it gave a FE average of 16 Km/L on a 140 Km high way run with fairly busy traffic. For a petrol automatic, that is impressive and no other car can offer all these as of now.
Old 14th February 2015, 13:24   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

So the new Verna has been launched and all the news of that 6 speed AT box turned out to be rubbish afterall. I would still however urge you to try and take a TD of the Verna and see how bad is the overall experience w.r.t. Rapid/Vento. I am extremely wary of the cost and reliability of the VAG group product with that kind of running.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2015, 21:02   #19
BANNED

The Verna is a personal favorite of Dad and me. But that 4 speed box... The only reason petrol automatics are considered because my Polo gives 11-12 right now with some eco driving. It consists of light traffic with open roads (Dwarka to Noida) though it can get pretty nasty at times. And the Ecosport, Polo Tsi gives around the same FE so in reality not much fuel savings just a newer car. :P

Is there any chance the Zest may come with AMT in XT trim?
Old 15th February 2015, 22:01   #20
BANNED

I have driven the Laura DSG on a fairly long trip as well as city conditions.
There is nothing remarkable about it. The German cars come with the added headache of monumental costs of repair, service and spares.
With GTO mentioning that the 7speed DSG is a nervous affair, I am not sure that the VW lot should be on your short list.
Well, you have the luxury of a few months.
Old 15th February 2015, 22:01   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by premc44 View Post
I do agree, a diesel VW vento/Polo or Skoda 1.5, all with DSG would be the choice, given that DSG employs the latest technology in automatic transmission. I have not driven the Diesel/DSG combination. Reports indicate very good FE figures. I did get a chance to drive a new petrol Vento TSI/DSG and it gave a FE average of 16 Km/L on a 140 Km high way run with fairly busy traffic. For a petrol automatic, that is impressive and no other car can offer all these as of now.
I have a Rapid diesel DSG and drive between Dwarka and Bhikaji. Car consistently delivers North of 16 kmpl in notorious traffic of ring road.
abhjain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2015, 22:17   #22
BANNED

That's absolutely amazing.
My TSI polo gives poop average.
Never double digit. It always hovers around 5-7
Old 16th February 2015, 19:26   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
I have a Rapid diesel DSG and drive between Dwarka and Bhikaji. Car consistently delivers North of 16 kmpl in notorious traffic of ring road.
That is extremely relieving. I am spending most of my time on the ring road as well! This will lead to some decent amount of savings on fuel but oh how good does the Ecosport look...
Old 16th February 2015, 20:35   #24
BHPian

I am increasingly getting convinced what is the point of having free revving engine, drivers car, lots of bhp & torque etc. The car makers market us the cars showing us free empty roads where you are driving at top speed, accelerating etc. Fact of the matter is we spend travelling 1-2 kms stretch while driving 30 minutes+.

I would suggest going for easy to drive small city car with automatic gears, great millage, cheap spare parts (every second day in bumper to bumper traffic someone nicks), and decent safety features to protect us from accidents happening at snails pace. In such a scenario Brio comes to mind.

If driving on highways is the majority use then Polo TSI etc are all good options.
Old 16th February 2015, 21:07   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
That is extremely relieving. I am spending most of my time on the ring road as well! This will lead to some decent amount of savings on fuel but oh how good does the Ecosport look...
Yes please drive the DSG once and you will forget all the looks argument! All the best and do let me know if you need any more information. I drive between Noida and Bhikaji. I used to stay in Dwarka till last year.
Old 18th February 2015, 19:54   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
I am increasingly getting convinced what is the point of having free revving engine, drivers car, lots of bhp & torque etc. The car makers market us the cars showing us free empty roads where you are driving at top speed, accelerating etc. Fact of the matter is we spend travelling 1-2 kms stretch while driving 30 minutes+.

I would suggest going for easy to drive small city car with automatic gears, great millage, cheap spare parts (every second day in bumper to bumper traffic someone nicks), and decent safety features to protect us from accidents happening at snails pace. In such a scenario Brio comes to mind.

If driving on highways is the majority use then Polo TSI etc are all good options.
Brio is certainly in the list. Mom has a huge crush on the car since it was launched way back. Would waiting for the new Jazz make sense?
Old 18th February 2015, 20:43   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Brio is certainly in the list. Mom has a huge crush on the car since it was launched way back. Would waiting for the new Jazz make sense?
You could but the pricing of Jazz needs to be spot on, if the price is too high then one might as well as go in for other options in the similar price range. Also upon launch it might (might not) have a waiting period.

I diesel Maruti Ritz Vdi could be an option, though it comes without airbags.

If I were to buy a hatchback today with automatic transmission then I would have gone for Brio as the looks of Jazz have never appealed to me (opinions may vary).
Old 18th February 2015, 21:36   #28
D4D
BHPian

Looking at your needs, I would suggest only Rapid/Vento TDI DSG.

Got good performance, a good diesel box and and shouls deliver good FE.

Quote:

what rumors say, it will be replaced with Elantra's 6 speed so that's solved. The 2014 versions have solved the soft suspension too, so that's solved as well.
Nope. It's not true. The verna retains it's 4 speed auto box
Old 19th February 2015, 21:56   #29
BANNED

If I am considering the ES, then how would the Fiesta fare in this comparo?
Old 19th February 2015, 22:45   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If I am considering the ES, then how would the Fiesta fare in this comparo?
You mean Fiesta AT? Fiesta no longer comes with an AT variant.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks