Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2015, 12:03   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Best car for the hills?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vartakavi View Post
Has anyone used a Fort Ecosport petrol on narrow twisty roads? I am looking to buy (may be a Used car) a Petrol car to keep at our cottage near Kodaikanal. My usage will be very low (may be 3000 kms a year) and the car will be under cover for three to four months at a time. Need it mostly to commute to town (10 kms away) a couple of times a week when we are staying there. The last one km up to our cottage is very steep and narrow - my old Indigo diesel used to struggle in first gear to get up. My current Innova pulls up with ease, but is not easy to manouvre on the narrow curves. How about the 1.0 litre EcoBoost engine on the Ecosport? Does it have a turbo lag? Fuel efficiency is not important to me, but the car should have loads of low end torque and should be reliable. The problem in a place like Kodaikanal is that the nearest Service Centres are at least 100 kms away, if not more.
The best option for you is a small hatch back. The older M800 and the current Alto K10, are superbly maneuverable due to their short wheel base and narrow body. Both the cars are so light that they charge up a hill. The K10 is a high revving engine so you can easily take it to 60 in second on steep climbs, that gives you quite a lot of reserve power while negociating twisted roads at 30-40 km/h.
Old 24th October 2015, 20:15   #62
BHPian

I remember our old Ford ikon 1.6zxi which I used for my first drive in the Garwal hills. The car with a full load of passengers and luggage made easy work of anything that the road threw up at us. That one had a brilliant little rocam engine that made all its torque really low down in the Rev range. As a result, it would even spin its wheels in 2nd and 3rd with a heavy right foot . Looking back at it now, even with me being a novice at that time, it sure made me look like a pro!
Dan9ie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 10:05   #63
BHPian

Thanks Aroy and Dan9ie. Yes, Alto K10 would probably do the trick but it will be a pain to drive it on the potholed roads to Kodai after the rains. They do up the roads once in two or three years, but for 50% of the time, our road to town is in bad shape. One more drawback of the K10 is the inability to fit even a couple of suitcases whenever we pick up or drop guests from town.

I need a slightly larger car with large wheels and high GC. That is why I narrowed in on the Ecosport. From what Dan9ie says, I probably need a car with a large engine displacement - a car that has no turbo lag and loads of low end torque is what I need.
I was for sometime looking at a used SX10 which I understand are available at fairly decent prices - but the Ecosport looks better for my needs, at least on paper. I would appreciate feedback from an Ecosport owner who has driven it in the hills.
Old 27th October 2015, 11:30   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Aroy and Dan9ie. Yes, Alto K10 would probably do the trick but it will be a pain to drive it on the potholed roads to Kodai after the rains. They do up the roads once in two or three years, but for 50% of the time, our road to town is in bad shape. One more drawback of the K10 is the inability to fit even a couple of suitcases whenever we pick up or drop guests from town.

I need a slightly larger car with large wheels and high GC. That is why I narrowed in on the Ecosport. From what Dan9ie says, I probably need a car with a large engine displacement - a car that has no turbo lag and loads of low end torque is what I need.
I was for sometime looking at a used SX10 which I understand are available at fairly decent prices - but the Ecosport looks better for my needs, at least on paper. I would appreciate feedback from an Ecosport owner who has driven it in the hills.
I took my Ecosport up to Ladakh this July amongst incessant rain, landslides and cloudbursts and it did the job admirably. Note that high-end torque was found lacking to an extent and therefore while climbing steep inclines, I had to down-shift.

Regarding luggage space, the car does give you ample space but for a car of that size, I would have expected a bit more.

Interior space and comfort is "superb" and that light steering wheel is a boon for us mortals living in NCR.

Cheers,
Saurabh
TheDesertRat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 12:20   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Unless you need better wading depth, the Duster is a better option. Another option is the Scorpio S4+ 4x4, a less expensive buy but a much tougher car.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2015, 04:29   #66

Hi I live in Bangalore and keep traveling often to Ooty at least twice a month as my family stays there, I am looking to buy my first car I have narrowed it down to Renault pulse rxl abs and figo trend diesel. I am confused as I don't have much hands on experience with cars. It should be safe and must tackle the hills any suggestions and pointers will help me a lot. Thanks
Old 28th November 2015, 13:11   #67
BHPian

I'm quintessential traveler to Himachal, especially to places where British built Forest Rest Houses in high mountain jungles (e.g, Nichar, Gahan, Gopalpur, Chawai etc.) And to me traveling to these places means traveling in comfort with whole family and carrying almost everything which could be needed in remote jungles - groceries, electric blankets....that entails a lot of luggage to be stowed away on roof carrier. In seventies we has two Ambys, later Maruti Vans and now Innova.

I must say that innova has never failed even once whether it was inclined slush 'off-road' from Chirgaon to Larot on way to Chanshal Pass or running away from a mad bear chasing us in Gopalpur (in Daran-ghati)...

Last edited by DwarkaDelhiWala : 28th November 2015 at 13:15.
Old 28th November 2015, 14:37   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsha_Chittar View Post
Hi I live in Bangalore and keep traveling often to Ooty at least twice a month as my family stays there, I am looking to buy my first car I have narrowed it down to Renault pulse rxl abs and figo trend diesel. I am confused as I don't have much hands on experience with cars. It should be safe and must tackle the hills any suggestions and pointers will help me a lot. Thanks
A car which has service center support at both places (Blore & Ooty) should be your choice. I doubt if you will get service (in case something goes wrong with the car) in Ooty will be my choice. Having said, my vote goes to Ford Figo It is amazing to drive around the hills as well as flat roads n feels planted.
null is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2015, 15:51   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
A car which has service center support at both places (Blore & Ooty) should be your choice. I doubt if you will get service (in case something goes wrong with the car) in Ooty will be my choice. Having said, my vote goes to Ford Figo It is amazing to drive around the hills as well as flat roads n feels planted.
That makes sense ford, maruti and Hyundai have a presence there, should I look at swift ldi, I read there is a new ldi abs, is it a sensible choice?
Old 28th November 2015, 19:24   #70
BHPian

Quote:
That makes sense ford, maruti and Hyundai have a presence there, should I look at swift ldi, I read there is a new ldi abs, is it a sensible choice?
I don't know much about swift unfortunately, but, seeing so many swifts zipping around, it should be a good choice if it has the basic safety features.

Also please consider whether you are going for a petrol or a diesel in your decision. Last year, our diesel Figo gave a very a good FE (~18) compared to the other car, my friends petrol swift(14+) when we went together to Ooty. Also, have to admit, our Figo was not that great for the twisty climb (or that's how I felt).

Last edited by Aditya : 7th December 2017 at 07:55. Reason: Typos. Please check your posts before "Submitting". Thanks!
Old 28th November 2015, 19:45   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Considering that a lot of ghat driving is involved, you definitely need a powerful car with ABS and Airbags.

The Ford Figo Diesel is a very good choice. The new Figo with the 1.5L Engine is one of the most powerful cars in the segment and would be perfect for your needs. Only advice is to stretch to the Titanium variant as the Trend does not come with ABS. With lot of hill driving involved, I think ABS is important to have.

Maruti has recently made Airbags and ABS as an option across all variants of Swift and Dzire. But I think the Swift is too common and the LDI variant will be poorly equipped. Instead of the Swift, you can also look at the Baleno. All variants come with ABS and Airbags and even the base is decently equipped.

Curious to hear how you got Pulse on the shortlist, it is not a common car.

Personal choice would definitely be the Figo Titanium.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2015, 22:47   #72

Quote:
Hi I live in Bangalore and keep traveling often to Ooty at least twice a month as my family stays there, I am looking to buy my first car
Being from Ooty, I would recommend Swift anytime. I recently sold Swift Diesel after owning it for three years to get a SCross. Maruti and Hyundai have service stations here along with their showrooms and recently about three months back Ford has opened a new showroom, but their service centre is not full fledged. Given the service factor, Maruti is a better option. The newer Swift with extra safety would be the apt choice. Would suggest you to get it from Bangalore so that in case of the occasional Cauvery river problem, you may be safe while travelling to and fro from Bangalore.
ootyguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2015, 07:02   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post

Curious to hear how you got Pulse on the shortlist, it is not a common car.

Personal choice would definitely be the Figo Titanium.
Pulse strictly because of the price, rxl abs diesel model on road price is 7l (after discount) in Bangalore, the only diesel car to come with abs and driver airbags at this price. Also the diesel engine had some great reviews, it was purely a theoretical choice have not driven it yet, I went to the dealership they were packed with people booking kwid so have to go back on another day to test drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ootyguy View Post
Being from Ooty, I would recommend Swift anytime.
I will go check out the swift my only concern with swift is the boot space. What was the fe you got on your swift diesel?

Last edited by Aditya : 30th November 2015 at 07:13. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 29th November 2015, 15:37   #74

I had a swift VDI 2011 model and on regularly driving only on the hills, it used to give me an FE of about 16 to 17 with AC always on and my driving was never sedate. If driven sedately, used to get about 18 kmpl.
Old 1st December 2015, 10:56   #75
Senior - BHPian

If you do not need extra space, and are mostly driving alone,I would suggest a smaller petrol car. Small petrols are excellent for hills and their size enables them to maneuver in tight spaces (and park easily in the city). A high revving Alto K10 will simply zoom through hills and give decent FE.

Otherwise a swift diesel will carry four in comfort.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks