Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2018, 17:15   #106
BANNED

Re: Best car for the hills?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
IMHO that someone does not know what he is talking about.
Actually doesn't it makes sense to stick with Non-ABS options for off-road'ing? Because on motorcycle what happens when riding trail with ABS is that at times the motorcycle would not stop when required which is a serious concern and can be fatal depending on the trail in question.

Correct me if I'm wrong as I lack much experience driving off-road with cars.
Old 16th January 2020, 21:55   #107

Is there a perfect 'Market-to-Mountain' car?

Hello members,

I have recently returned from a five-day holiday in Shimla. I got to see falling snow for the first time in my life.

I also carefully observed motoring in the hills. The Marutis are loved by the locals; almost worshipped. I won't be surprised if there are first-borns in Shimla named Alto.

Toyotas are commonplace too. Every corner car park had a Delhi- or Haryana-registered Fortuner. The Innova was on duty as well. The Japanese, truly, have helped transport humanity through some of the most testing terrain. Their cars have delivered vaccines, aid, security.

So, Arigatou.

But I can't afford a Toyota 4x4. I own a Thar. But it's straight out of the Flintstones with that suspension. I have a mother-in-law who likes to travel. I don't want her face ejecting lunch.

(Sorry for that image).

Now, I'm on the lookout for a hatch that can take a beating; one which I can take to the market on the weekdays and to the mountains every chance I get. It should be within Rs 10 lakh; should have decent ride quality; hopefully an automatic; and good legroom at the back. Service costs too should be within comfort.

I don't want a continent-conquering high-speed beast (obviously impossible on my budget). But I want durability and reliability. I plan to be wedded to this thing. I'm of the opinion that every lakh spent should be a year spent with the car - unless it's a Rolls since we're not turtles.

What's coming on sale this year that I could buy? Looking for some unbiased wisdom here.

(Cars being considered currently: VW GT TSI, Ford's Freestyle Petrol)
Magnus Drayne is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 03:47   #108
Team-BHP Support

Re: Is there a perfect 'Market-to-Mountain' car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus Drayne View Post
Now, I'm on the lookout for a hatch that can take a beating; one which I can take to the market on the weekdays and to the mountains every chance I get. It should be within Rs 10 lakh; should have decent ride quality; hopefully an automatic; and good legroom at the back. Service costs too should be within comfort.
It is not a hatchback, it is not an automatic and it is not within 10 lacs, but I think a Duster AWD is just what you need if you can stretch your budget a bit and live with a manual vehicle. It is not very big, can be taken to the market and can definitely be taken to the mountains. It is comfortable and competent. The ride quality is better than anything in its price range. The current price cut makes it a steal deal. The only concern is about the failing injectors but I think Renault has been quite supportive about that if we see the ownership reports on team-bhp.
You can have a look at the Ecosport as well. It is quite sturdy and can take a lot of beating. I am not too convinced about its performance in the mountains though.
BlackPearl is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 05:18   #109
Team-BHP Support

I found the Liva extremely comfortable on long mountain drivers, and even used rope as makeshift snow cable in Narkanda. It has space, safety, and decent power in the diesel engine and is quite cheap too. Handling is neutral and reliability is second to none.

That said if you can afford the Duster AWD, that is the car to get.
tsk1979 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 08:35   #110
BHPian

+1 to BlackPearl as well as tsk1979

I own a Nissan Terrano and I have driven from Pune to all the states in the NE and back. (Travelogue coming soon)
Problems encountered: Zero
Here she is, parked at Arunachal
Best car for the hills / mountains?-intro-pic.jpg

I opted for the non frill variant (without the diamond cut alloy wheels), but upgraded to the 110ps engine. 6 speed manual. 2WD. This was 2014. Nowadays you get a AMT version as well.
RedTerrano is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 09:40   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I found the Liva extremely comfortable on long mountain drivers, and even used rope as makeshift snow cable in Narkanda. It has space, safety, and decent power in the diesel engine and is quite cheap too. Handling is neutral and reliability is second to none.

That said if you can afford the Duster AWD, that is the car to get.
Only if Liva/ Etios had a well built body to be taken to the mountains without a worry. Surely it is reliable and won't stand you. It is reliable and cheap as well, however I have serious doubts on the metal sheet thickness and is not in the league of Duster.

With the price cut, there seem to be no car which can do justice to the requirement of the thread owner other than Duster. Even the normal non AWD which should come below 10 Lakhs is a capable Market to Mountain car.

The only other car which comes second to Duster is the Nexon.
Old 17th January 2020, 09:42   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, check this out - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-1-5-lakh.html (Renault Duster prices slashed by upto Rs. 1.5 lakh)

I'm sure with good negotiation you can get a 2019 Make, (albeit new) Duster AWD for another lac or more less. That'll put it in a hatchback price bracket. This should make it the deal of the year!
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 10:07   #113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Only if Liva/ Etios had a well built body to be taken to the mountains without a worry. However I have serious doubts on the metal sheet thickness.
Metal sheet thickness alone can not be a marker of how safe / unsafe a car is.

And as per tests, it is as safe as a Polo is. A car with unarguably thicker gauge of metal.
Attached Thumbnails
Best car for the hills / mountains?-11.jpg  

Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 10:14   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Only if Liva/ Etios had a well built body to be taken to the mountains without a worry. Surely it is reliable and won't stand you. It is reliable and cheap as well, however I have serious doubts on the metal sheet thickness and is not in the league of Duster. .
Of course, if the OP had asked for a car for demolition Derby I would have recommended a Tata Safari, from the 2010 era with that thick metal sheet. But since they have not mentioned any intention of playing this sport, I went with the Liva.
tsk1979 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 10:43   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Metal sheet thickness alone can not be a marker of how safe / unsafe a car is.

And as per tests, it is as safe as a Polo is. A car with unarguably thicker gauge of metal.
The structure is safe and has all safety features. What I meant was the actual heaviness of the car. I do not own one but have driven both of them extensively and never found it to be anywhere like the VWs or Tata.

They both indeed are good, may be personal but I don't find them well built.
Old 17th January 2020, 10:43   #116
Senior - BHPian

Why not consider a used SX4? You can easily find one for 2 Lacs, change the bushes, overhaul the suspension and brakes and you could even look into converting it into an AWD considering it was sold in other markets with AWD :thumbsup
Old 17th January 2020, 11:22   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What's coming on sale this year that I could buy? Looking for some unbiased wisdom here.
My recommendation (albeit slightly biased, as I own a M&M vehicle) is the TUV300 T6+ variant. It has ABS, 2 airbags, Isofix mounts for child seats, costs Rs.903,678 ex-showroom in Pune, is compact enough for market duties and robust enough for mountain trips.

The Tata Nexon is also a compelling offering in the sub-10L category with its 5 star safety rating, good looks, comfy ride and decent handling. Also, it's available in petrol guise too, which is not there in the TUV300.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 17th January 2020 at 11:34.
comfortablynumb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 16:06   #118
BHPian

1. Can take a beating: No car under 10 lac can take a beating. Except maybe Polo(good build quality) or maybe Etios sedan(So many running in taxis, must be a tough one)

2. Which I can take to the market on the weekdays and to the mountains every chance I get: You can take any car to the market and mountains. The thing about mountains is that if you want to cross a shallow stream or go on a rocky terrain, then even a powerful Audi A4 would fail. What terrain do you want to venture onto exactly? If it's just tarmac and rarely some rugged path, then any car will do.

3. It should be within Rs 10 lakh. Okay.
4. Should have decent ride quality. Okay.
5. Hopefully an automatic. Okay.
6. And good legroom at the back. Okay.
7. Service costs too should be within comfort. Okay.

From the looks of it, you could do with a used Yeti 4x4/Scorpio 4x4. I know these are not hatches. But other than that thing alone, you have all the points checked and then some more. For the Skoda Yeti the service costs would NOT be within comfort, it will set you back by 10-15k per 15,000 kms in comparison to the Ford Freestyle which should be 3-4k @ 10,000 kms.
But since you'd be getting a used Yeti at 4-5 Lac INR, i don't think the service cost would be much of an issue.
You said for every 1 lac INR you spend you'd like to have the vehicle for corresponding number of years. And on that note, a Rs. 5 lac Yeti would definitely last you for 5 good years.

Scorpio 4x4 should be in the range of Rs 6-7lacs.

Since you've started venturing in to the hills and your family also seems fond of travelling, it makes more sense to get a more capable(4x4) vehicle which would your needs when you broaden your adventure horizons down the line.

Yeti is a super refined vehicle. A true gem. Scorpio 4x4 is as robust and mechanic friendly as they come. Both have their pros and maybe a handful of cons. But since you're already considering a Skoda, do give Yeti a thought too. Also, if you go for the Yeti, it will be wayyyy easier on the pocket in fuel savings. Yeti, on highway, returns 17-18kmpl in normal usage and there are users who have extracted 20kmpl+ from it with careful and sedate driving. Fun fact: It has the same engine output(possibly the same engine too) as much much pricier Skoda Kodiaq @ 2000cc engine with 140Bhp power.
Think about it.

Last edited by DeepakS : 17th January 2020 at 16:10.
Old 17th January 2020, 16:09   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Since the TUV 300 is right up this alley (and because has been suggested by one other member already), let me put things in perspective.

The pre-2018 Mahindra TUV 300 came with really stiff suspensions that rendered it with very little wheel travel (i.e., the up-down movement). You should rule out used examples of 2015-2017.

The 2018 year pre-facelift TUV came with a softer suspension. You could pick up a used example and fit it with polyurethane spacers to curb the rocking even more.

Then came the facelift (in 2019?) and it is supposed to have a yet softer suspension as per Mahindra's sales and service guys. You should check this out and take a test drive.

I haven't driven the facelift version but I own a 2018 model. If anything, I found that my TUV has only ever come into its element in the hills - bad roads, steep inclines, great all-round visibility from the driver's seat to aid in tight spots...the TUV is a real pleasure to drive in those conditions.
Old 17th January 2020, 16:27   #120
Senior - BHPian

You could have a look at the Vitara Brezza diesel AMT, if any are left around still. Also Tata Nexon, Ford Figo Freestyle, Etios Cross and i20 Active in that order.

Most Viewed