Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2016, 15:56   #166

Re: Automatics under 10 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide (now with the Baleno & Ertiga)

I want to share here my experience in selecting the Automatic Car for the benefit of the forum members. Hope this information will be useful to others.

I have been extensively going through Team BHP and other forums/ reviews for the past 12 months. Did a test drive of many Auto Transmission cars, talked to existing owners and finally booked the Jazz V CVT. Will be taking delivery this week.

Since I already have a proper sedan in the family which my wife is driving; I have evaluated only Hatchbacks and Compact SUVs. Since the Car is primarily for City usage and will not run more than 800km per month; the requirements are clear - has to be petrol and has to be automatic.

Jazz V CVT
Positives - 100% to space, comfort and airiness of cabin (biege?), Paddle shifers
Negatives - Found a bit sluggish, A/c is just ok. No ESP and No Hill Hold

Polo GT TSi
Postives: Has the power, great gear box and full marks to safety
Negatives: Family outright rejected it due to back seat leg space and low seating

Baleno Zeta CVT
Positives: Has more useful features than Jazz and slightly lower cost
(Pushbutton start, split rear seat, rear head rests)
Negatives: 6 months waiting period (this is a big one). No paddles.
Family found the ride comfort to be lower than Jazz and the cabin not as airy

Ecosport AT
Positives: Best safety features. Good engine and gear box combo.
Found to be a good VFM considering all the other options available
Negatives: Front seats are too narrow to our liking. Family found the back
seat to be too bumpy. And the overall interior space is lower compared to outer dimensions.

Duster AMT: (This is the only diesel I drove)
Positives: Family really liked the back seat and they loved the ride and composure. Has ESP and Hill Hold safety features and the car is really confidence inspiring.
Negatives: I just could not bear the jerky gear shifts. If I buy this car; I will be driving it every single day and just cannot escape the gear shift. I do not want to be repenting for taking a bad decision at a later point. I d onot know why Renault could not offer a proper gear box for such a competent car. I think it is a wasted opportunity

Creta Petrol AT:
Positives: Found to be a good balance of Engine, Gearbox and Space. At this price it should have been ESP and Hill Hold atleast.
Negatives: Wife felt slight motion sickness in the back seat. And I personally felt
it is on the pricier side for what it offers and for my purpose in hand.

Ford Figo AT:
Did not take the test drive. But checked it inside out when we went to TD
the Ecosport. At the price it is offered; it is the most VFM automatic car available.
Has 1.5L engine and Dual clutch gear box and comes with ESP/Hill hold. What else?
But the interiors are a let down. Especially the center console with all those buttons
and the doors are tinny. Has the smallest Boot and there is no bottle/cup holders in the back seat.
vsatish is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th September 2016, 19:33   #167
BHPian

Re: Automatics under 10 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide (now with the Baleno & Ertiga)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsatish View Post
I want to share here my experience in selecting the Automatic Car for the benefit of the forum members. Hope this information will be useful to others.

I have been extensively going through Team BHP and other forums/ reviews for the past 12 months. Did a test drive of many Auto Transmission cars, talked to existing owners and finally booked the Jazz V CVT. Will be taking delivery this week.

Dear vsatish,

Interesting! Very Interesting indeed!!

I did the same excercise about one year back and am a proud owner of a Jazz V CVT since Oct 2015.
Wise men think alike!

I wonder if you have read my thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...automatic.html

I am looking forward to your thread!

Regards,

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2016, 22:29   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
I did the same excercise about one year back and am a proud owner of a Jazz V CVT since Oct 2015.
Sir - Like I mentioned earlier; I am inspired by your Ownership review of Jazz. And it did contribute to my decision making towards Jazz CVT.

Last edited by ampere : 7th February 2017 at 08:23. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
vsatish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2016, 15:34   #169
BHPian

Hi BHPians. Need advice on buying a new car.

First - A brief of my situation. Almost 4yrs back we had bought the Figo TDCi and its now @ 42kkms still going as good as new.

So far Figo serverd its purpose fine, as my wife's office(27kms from home) was on the way to my work place(40kms). I used to drop & pick her up. But since the past year or so, my place of work has moved which is now 15kms & well ahead of my wife's office. My new work place falls right in the highest traffic density & taking the car for 15kms consumes almost more time than my prev location which was 40kms. So started using my Gixxer/Thunderbird daily. First few months I still used to drop her & go to my office which again came to about 40-42kms. But off late due to work commitments I have started to go directly to office in bike & wife takes ola most of the days & wego on some of the days. The Figo is now used only during the weekends & the running has come down from 2-3k kms to a mere 400-500kms per month average.

Though my wife knows to drive the Manual & has got her licence, her driving experice is very less and limited mostly to open highway stretches. More over she is not the LiveToDrive type like most of us here. So even if she starts driving the Manual, I'm still not sure if she would be even more stressed out driving in crawling traffic for 55-60kms every day.

Now we have three options.

First - Stick with Figo & see if she gets accustomed to the MT & can handle the left leg becoming sore - the most economic. This would mean we might not need to change the car for the next couple of years & can upgrade to a car of next segment or even in the Altis segment in 3yrs time, but this comes at a cost of stress for my wife.

Second - Buy a small preowned AT car, say Nano or Alto - but this would tend to make the Figo becoming even less used, as weekends in traffic also would be the AT car. But we cannot sell the Figo as the AT would not be sufficient for the family.

Third - To exchange Figo & get a new AT. This would mean the car should atleast be same or bigger than the Figo's size. This means we should either go for the premium hatches or the Compact sedans. Cars like i20, Baleno, Jazz, Aspire, Zest, Amaze, xCent fall into the list. Also the car would again start running close to 2k kms per month. Most of the petrol ATs in the above list give 10-12kmpl in day to day driving which make a Diesel AT more practical. The problem here is only 2 cars have Diesel ATs in the segment we look at. The Dzire & Zest. The next is Verna which is a bit too much of stretch financially & size wise too. In this case the Dzire is striked out First as both of us are not inclined towards the Swift/Dzire design & the Dzire falls short of our Figo's interior space and has similar sized boot. So Zest becomes the only option if we want to stick to our planned Financial commitment.

Option 3a would be to sell the Figo & go for a preowned diesel AT from a higher segment like Verna or Cruze etc(Here the stretch would only be the size). But my wife is Ok for a preowned car only if its a second car. She says if we have only one car, its better to be new.

Looking for you help.

Suggestions towards all options welcome & out of the box options are accepted as well.
Would like to hear from those who have been in a similar situation & what they opted for.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11th November 2016, 16:09   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami.n View Post
The problem here is only 2 cars have Diesel ATs in the segment we look at. The Dzire & Zest. The next is Verna which is a bit too much of stretch financially & size wise too. In this case the Dzire is striked out First as both of us are not inclined towards the Swift/Dzire design & the Dzire falls short of our Figo's interior space and has similar sized boot. So Zest becomes the only option if we want to stick to our planned Financial commitment.
Financially, retaining the Figo and getting used to it makes most sense. But practically, considering the long commutes, increasing traffic and the fact that your wife is not fully comfortable, the selling and going for an AT option makes sense.

You missed one diesel AT. The new Volkswagen Ameo DSG (Not there in the list in this thread-Needs to be updated). A powerful 110 PS Diesel, by far the best Automatic Gearbox. good FE and a long list of features at maybe around 10.5-11L OTR for the highline and I think around 10L for the Comfortline. Would be an ideal choice for you. A little above budget but defnitely worth it.

On the down side, the looks are subjective and the interior and boot space are below par for the segment. Need to see if those are deal breakers.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2016, 16:43   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Financially, retaining the Figo and getting used to it makes most sense. But practically, considering the long commutes, increasing traffic and the fact that your wife is not fully comfortable, the selling and going for an AT option makes sense.

You missed one diesel AT. The new Volkswagen Ameo DSG (Not there in the list in this thread-Needs to be updated). A powerful 110 PS Diesel, by far the best Automatic Gearbox. good FE and a long list of features at maybe around 10.5-11L OTR for the highline and I think around 10L for the Comfortline. Would be an ideal choice for you. A little above budget but defnitely worth it.

On the down side, the looks are subjective and the interior and boot space are below par for the segment. Need to see if those are deal breakers.
Good Suggestion Rajeev. Yes the Ameo seems to be a good option, but was little worried with the service & spares cost of these Germans. These Skoda/VW cars seems to cost almost double that of the brands like Maruti,Ford,Tata & Hyundai in service & spares costs. As the car is going to be used more by my wife, I want its service to be trouble free and economic.
Old 19th December 2016, 10:25   #172
BHPian

Re: Request to validate my shortlist for a petrol AT car

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdriver View Post
Ertiga: (didn't drive)
+ Another Maruti-Suzuki product
- Prefer a more compact vehicle
- Newly launched -- solitary ownership experience (with all thanks to niranjanprabhu's summary)
This thread is a little old, but I wanted to add another safety related negative against the Ertiga. The rear seats are just too close to the rear hatch door; the heads of seated rear passengers look dangerously close to the rear windshield. Very little buffer in case of a rear collision.
Old 5th February 2017, 15:29   #173
BHPian

Looking for a Sub 10L Petrol Automatic

• Price range - 10 lakhs
  • Maintenance & After Sales Service (A.S.S.) expectations - Hyundai, Maruti and Ford should be okay
  • Average distance traveled per month - 1000 kms
  • Where car will be mostly used (city / highway / rough roads etc) - inside city for daily commute
  • Chauffer driven / self driven - Self
  • Whether the vehicle will be shared by other members of family
  • Any specific requirements from car (ex. Better luggage space, responsive engine, rear seat comfort) - Shared with my Wife . and i have 2 kids ( 3 and 1 )
  • How long you intend on keeping this car (and how important resale is to you) - Not worried about resale as I want to keep for 10 years , so I'm not too keen to buy diesel. I have included aspire diesel due to 6 airbags option and value for money criteria.
  • Cars short listed
After following up with Mr.G.K. Mahajan I was planning to buy Jazz cvt-s variant, but 8.7 lakhs onroad does not justify the price at any angle. I'm breaking my head to somehow make Jazz appear more valuable compared with the competition, but unable to accept that Honda is not even providing automatic climate control and retractable side mirrors

I have now completed a 100 page booklet with all the feature comparisons for most of the petrol automatics and diesel cars below 10 lakhs, but still undecided.

1. Jazz CVT - 8.6 on road mumbai ( only 2 airbags )

2. Figo Aspire Titanium plus TDCI ( manual) - 9.3 lakhs with 6 airbags

I test drove ford figo tdci last year, had amazing power.
Only drawback is cramped rear seat space due to floor hump and monthly sales figure has fallen to 3 digit. Aspire tdci should also have similar driving characteristics

3. Ciaz ZXi AT - nearly 11 lakhs
Yet to test drive, but worried about highway performance due to 4 speed AT. Does any one know whether Maruti will ugrade to cvt ?

4. Ciaz Diesel (mostly ruled out as petrol version gives good mileage and my running wont exceed 1000 kms a month. I had experienced high maintenance cost when I had Ritz diesel , usually it was around 10-12k range)

5. Amaze CVT -S ( 8.6 onroad , a segment above Jazz, I liked the new interiors and feature wise similar to Jazz S variant. Not impressed with exterior look )

6. Baleno CVT - waiting period of more than 24 months. ( 8.3 onroad and loaded with features. Some reviews point out rear suspension issue. I think we might just need to upgrade tires with higher side wall. I had similar issue with Ritz and issue got resolved after upgrading the tires to 185 )

7. Grand i10 AT magna : 7 lakhs onroad ( from reviews i saw that the mileage was in single digits inside city )

8. Ecosport AT titanium - liked all the features and comes loaded with 6 airbags. ( only issue is the blindspot )

I will be traveling back to Mumbai for 2 weeks and need to finalize one from the above list.

Did anyone test drive Amaze CVT and Ciaz AT ? This will help me to add few more points to my existing notes.

I am looking for automatic as my wife will find it easier to drive. Diesel variant is also okay as inside city traffic we do not have to change gears as often as petrol counterparts

Thanks
Rahul

Last edited by ampere : 6th February 2017 at 07:27. Reason: Formatted; Removed spaces from punctuation marks
rahulskumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2017, 15:58   #174
BHPian

re: Looking for a Sub 10L Petrol Automatic

Hi Rahul, Since you have 2 weeks to finalize, I would recommend waiting for Honda City facelift to be launched on 14th Feb. Existing model has CVT in SV variant, though you may have to stretch budget by a lac or so. I am assuming you ruled out Verna AT as it in last stages before being replaced by new model. If you are finalizing on Ciaz, either wait till April as it rumored that facelift will launch in April or do good bargain to get discounts on existing model.
Simhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2017, 17:45   #175
BHPian

Considering you intend to keep the car for 10+ years amounting to 120000 kms, its best to stick with trusted Automatics of Honda and maybe with Maruti as an outside choice.

Honda City 2017 is about to launch. Which means that there are some pretty good deals on existing stock, particularly 2016 models. If you are able to get the price in your range its an excellent car. Don't fret much if a couple of features are missing, because engine and transmission will make you much more happier.

Next option is ofcourse Honda Jazz, which is baby City. No offence to Amaze owners, but in no way Amaze a segment higher than the Jazz. Few features may not be there, but its still a very smooth.

Baleno CVT may be a slightly better choice though. I would suggest to book Baleno CVT now and wait for Baleno 1.0 which might also launch with automatic. if that's the case, change your booking then.

For diesel, you can consider S-Cross 1.3, which should give you good ownership experience and is great to drive.

Ciaz is expecting a minor refresh in March-April and there might be some changes to the AT variant too.

I would rule the Ford out as I don't trust the DSG gearbox to give me 10 worry free years.
autorahul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2017, 22:41   #176
Team-BHP Support

Baleno CVT offers the best value for money but long waiting list is a bummer. Jazz CVT (V variant) is the one I would buy if I were you. I think there is a 40k or 50K cash discount on Jazz too. My second choice would be Grand i10 automatic.

If Baleno and Jazz are out, then check out Ignis AMT (petrol and diesel). It is a couple of segments lower than Baleno/Jazz though. I have seen Ignis on the road and it looks 'different' - like a mini-SUV.

Since you intend to use the car within the city, why look at Ciaz and Amaze?
SmartCat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2017, 23:11   #177
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

My choice would be Honda City (petrol) by extending budget or S-Cross 1.3 Diesel Zeta (not sure about Mumbai pricing but I guess it will fall within your 10 lakh budget or slightly more). Compromise with S-Cross is lack of auto transmission.

Last edited by NPV : 5th February 2017 at 23:12.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2017, 23:45   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulskumar View Post
6. Baleno CVT - waiting period of more than 24 months . ( 8.3 onroad and loaded with features. Some reviews point out rear suspension issue . I think we might just need to upgrade tires with higher side wall. I had similar issue with Ritz and issue got resolved after upgrading the tires to 185 )

7. Grand i10 AT magna

8. Ecosport AT titanium

This will help me to add few more points to my existing notes .
Is that a Typo ? 24 months Waiting for Baleno CVT ? I hope it's 24 weeks, That would be realistic. Anyway, Baleno CVT is a good option.If you are OK with all colors, it will help you immensely in getting one earlier. In December 2016, I bought a Baleno Delta MT. I got the car in 15 days, reason - I had given all color choices except White. To my surprise, I got the much liked color (Ray Blue). Try this with your dealer. If luck prevails you could get one soon.

Regarding Suspension issue, it has been sorted in 2017 models. My car doesn't have this problem. The suspension is fine & feels better then the TD car I had driven which was a July Make.

Grand i10 Automatic is thirsty, if you can live with it, you can consider it. Also, make sure that you get a Facelifted one, which will be launched tomorrow.

Ecosport is a worthy package. It's an SUV, and it also has a Dual Clutch Gearbox. You can look at this one.

Other Alternatives are -

Ford Aspire Automatic - Same Engine & Gearbox as Ecosport. But you'll miss Side & Curtain Airbags.

Volkswagen Polo TSI - Excellent car and popular choice here. Apart from short rear space & low ground clearance, not much to complain about. You can try this if your looking at Petrol Hatch.

Volkswagen Ameo - It has Diesel Automatic option. It is loaded with features and is premium. This is a default choice if you are looking at Diesel Automatic.
CarguyNish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 08:36   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post

Since you intend to use the car within the city, why look at Ciaz and Amaze?
I'm a bit greedy here
When I check auto variant price for hatchback , i can somehow manage base version of next segment ( proper sedan ). Moreover sedan should be safer than hatch . Ciaz ticks "VFM" along with the Ford diesels

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Is that a Typo ? 24 months Waiting for Baleno CVT ? I hope it's 24 weeks, T

Yes its a typo,thanks for letting me know that the suspension issue has been resolved . Let me check with Nexa, most probably will try out your idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
My choice would be Honda City (petrol)
Most probably i will wait till city and ciaz facelift is released . I saw some threads where we are anticipating a change in ciaz petrol offering

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I think there is a 40k or 50K cash discount on Jazz too. My second choice would be Grand i10 automatic.
... then check out Ignis AMT ...
I enquired with Honda showroom, the offer was for sept 2016 model which I was not interested . Ignis will not fit family personality ( no offense ) even though it ticks all my checklist at 6.5 lakhs . No one at home liked the rear side quarter . If it was not from Maruti, we would have never seen Ignis on road.

Last edited by GTO : 6th February 2017 at 21:13. Reason: Merging back to back posts
rahulskumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 08:51   #180
Team-BHP Support

Re: Looking for a Sub 10L Petrol Automatic

If you need a petrol automatic with space power and highway requirements, I think the Honda City makes the best case. Stretch your budget and do check it out.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed