Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2015, 19:24   #121
Senior - BHPian

Automatics under 10 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide (now with the Baleno & E...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
I am not sure how it is in Kolkatta, but Ford A.S.S > VWAG A.S.S for most part!

Re: your dilemma - the GT TSi is the most fun to drive auto in that budget, but that's where it ends. Interiors, features, etc. aren't anything great compared to the Hyundai you are graduating from.

I would instead recommend picking up a pre-owned vehicle - none of the ATs are fun and reliable though - just keep that in mind!

So then there is nothing that could convince my heart to change my current vehicle. I am not against buying used vehicles but I won't get one right now.

Regarding the ford A.S.S in kolkata, I will have to ask a friend who has owned multiple fords in the past.
Old 10th December 2015, 09:32   #122
Senior - BHPian

Re: Automatics under 10 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide (now with the Baleno & Ertiga)

Brilliant reference guide to sub-10L automatics, @rajeevraj! Thank you very much!

I am considering an automatic hatch for the family to buy maybe first half of next year, so was doing some research.

I was looking at the specifications of the Baleno CVT, and I was completely turned off. Why?
While it is reasonably well equipped - in terms of features - when compared to the rest of the automatics out there, when compared to its manual transmission siblings, it is not only poorly equipped, but also appears to be overpriced. So, if a prospective customer is handed a spec sheet and price list in the dealership, the comparison is naturally going to be made. And probably, like me, they will be turned off by the relative VFM proposition.

It boils down to the Figo Titanium DCT or Nano XTA for me right now. Unless, of course, I suddenly discover a few lakhs hidden under the mattress for the upcoming Polo GTi
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 14:40   #123
Senior - BHPian

Re: Automatics under 10 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide (now with the Baleno & Ertiga)

Has anyone in BLR test driven the Baleno CVT? If yes, please tell me which dealer had the car.
Old 10th December 2015, 16:03   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Has anyone in BLR test driven the Baleno CVT? If yes, please tell me which dealer had the car.
A friend did a TD. This was Bimal Nexa Outer Ring Road, Mahadevpura. But was allowed TD only on the service road. Too much 'Traffic' on the main road it seems.

Absurd! In my opinion.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 20:03   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Honestly, if you are reaching the Grand i10 territory, probably worth looking at the Micra and Brio also. Since they are not hot selling, should be available with good discounts. Especially the Micra- Well loaded with comfort and safety features.

Just from this list, does the Alto also come with the safety pack now? (There was an article around it), If so, would recommend that. Else the Wagon R with Airbags and ABS.
Took your advice. So, these are the final OTR prices

Wagon R - 5.85 L (air bags + abs) - actual OTR :- 6.10 ( 2 months waiting )
Grand i10 - 6.70 (no air bags no abs) - actual OTR :- 7.22
Brio - 7.10 (all features of grand i10 - push button start + abs + ebd = airbags) surprisingly neither brio nor gi10 have auto locks - actual OTR :- 7.45
Micra - 7.80 (all features of i10 + airbags + abs + ebd + ba) - actual OTR :- 8.36
figo - 8.05 ( the dealer is having a sunset orange at his show room ready delivery claimed, but i think he is also using that as a TD car) No discounts
Baleno - 8.11 (has most of the features) No discounts 4 months waiting
Wth to do - I have never been so confused or spoilt for choices.

The other thing is should I venture north of i10 to micra - if so then what of service (micra / brio ) hardly sell 400 units a month, though i feel that brio would be a more saner choice in terms of peace of mind - but otherwise bland interior with not so many features as against the micra or stick to wagon r, with abs and keep the 2L saved for another day.

The car that I will buy will be kept atleast for 6-7 years maybe more. (I kept my Palio for 13 before gifting it) - taking that into consideration is wagon r structurally a safe car or should honda/nissan be it.

Last edited by an_and : 10th December 2015 at 20:28. Reason: Adding Baleno
Old 10th December 2015, 20:19   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_and View Post

Wagon R - 5.85 L (air bags + abs) - actual OTR :- 6.10
Grand i10 - 6.70 (no air bags no abs) actual OTR :- 7.22
Brio - 7.10 (all features of grand i10 - push button start + abs + ebd = airbags) surprisingly neither brio nor gi10 have auto locks actual OTR :- 7.45
Micra - 7.80 (all features of i10 + airbags + abs + ebd + ba) actual OTR :- 8.36
figo - 8.05 ( he is having a sunset orange at his show room ready delivery claimed, but i think he is also using that as a TD car)

The other thing is should I venture north of i10 to micra - if so then what of service (micra / brio ) hardly sell 400 units a month, though i feel that brio would be a more saner choice in terms of peace of mind - but otherwise bland interior with not so many features as against the micra or stick to wagon r, with abs and keep the 2L saved for another day.

The car that I will buy will be kept atleast for 6-7 years maybe more. (I kept my Palio for 13 before gifting it) - taking that into consideration is wagon r structurally a safe car or should honda/nissan be it.
Just curious why is Baleno not in Picture ? Bangalore OTR prices are around 8.37 and i guess it has the best mileage for automatics out of the ones mentioned above
csnanjappa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 20:30   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post
Just curious why is Baleno not in Picture ? Bangalore OTR prices are around 8.37 and i guess it has the best mileage for automatics out of the ones mentioned above
Thank You for the inputs. Added Baleno to the conundrum as well.
Old 10th December 2015, 21:18   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The daily expected running will not be more than 5 Km a day - as it is meant for my wife for school duty and maybe some local shopping - save for the days when I decide to take it to office and it might log some good mileage then.
Quote:
Brio - 7.10 (all features of grand i10 - push button start + abs + ebd = airbags) surprisingly neither brio nor gi10 have auto locks - actual OTR :- 7.45
Micra - 7.80 (all features of i10 + airbags + abs + ebd + ba) - actual OTR :- 8.36
figo - 8.05 ( the dealer is having a sunset orange at his show room ready delivery claimed, but i think he is also using that as a TD car) No discounts
Taking a step back to your requirements (quoted above), few inputs.
  • If you are reaching the 8L territory, drop the Micra, the Figo and Baleno make much more sense.
  • Considering your requirement, I would drop the Baleno. It is a very wide car and may not be comfortable for the use case you mentioned. Also for the use case, you really do not need a premium hatch.
  • But if you are ok with reaching 8L, the Figo would be my choice.

• If not, I would chose between the Wagon R and Brio (No Grand i10 because of the lack of safety features).
  • Between these 2, my choice would be Brio, reasonably fun to drive, compact, good all round visibility. Better built than the Wagon R. I don't think you need to worry about low sales since it shares everything with the Amaze, that sells well.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 21:39   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Taking a step back to your requirements (quoted above), few inputs.
  • If you are reaching the 8L territory, drop the Micra, the Figo and Baleno make much more sense.
  • Considering your requirement, I would drop the Baleno. It is a very wide car and may not be comfortable for the use case you mentioned. Also for the use case, you really do not need a premium hatch.
  • But if you are ok with reaching 8L, the Figo would be my choice.
  • If not, I would chose between the Wagon R and Brio (No Grand i10 because of the lack of safety features).
  • Between these 2, my choice would be Brio, reasonably fun to drive, compact, good all round visibility. Better built than the Wagon R. I don't think you need to worry about low sales since it shares everything with the Amaze, that sells well.
True.. Brio is a good choice. One small point in favor of the Micra is that though it sells in low numbers here, it is exported quite a lot - to Europe - UK primarily I believe. This ensures that the car is built to a certain specification - and that probably is the reason why they are unable to offer discounts.
Old 10th December 2015, 21:45   #130
BHPian

Quote:

I would pick the Brio. It has the Honda reliability, safety features, revv-happy engine and pretty good build quality. You'll be losing some of the features though. If Bluetooth is a must, you can upgrade to a better touchscreen music system. As for the parts, The Brio shares a lot of it parts with the Amaze.

The Figo would come a close 2nd because of the safety features. It is pretty decently equipped too.

In the end, it is what your wife is happy with.

Last edited by The Dude : 10th December 2015 at 21:47. Reason: Added the Figo :)
Old 11th December 2015, 10:28   #131
BHPian

Guys,

I am looking for automatic for a family of 4 adults and 1 kid.
Frequently, will have to take care of relatives.

But importantly, now i am planning to do occasional long route travelling - around 10hrs at a stretch.
I have a 8yr old wagonr with 70k on odo. most probably this will be retained for office going work.

TUV300 6plus AMT and Ertiga Vxi AT are on my mind.

Any recommendations on those inputs?
Old 11th December 2015, 10:40   #132
BHPian

Automatics under 10 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide (now with the Baleno & E...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetans View Post
I am looking for automatic for a family of 4 adults and 1 kid.
Frequently, will have to take care of relatives.

TUV300 6plus AMT and Ertiga Vxi AT are on my mind.
TUV AMT 'The road taming beast' is the only 7 seater AT diesel option around 10l. TD and decide for yourself. May be a good option for frequent city rides if you don't mind bit jerky gear shifts.

You nailed the second 7 seater option too. Ertiga though petrol good VFM and will stay well below 10lac. Getting in and out is a challenge as compared to TUV. And second row leg room is lousy.

Last edited by TMRT : 11th December 2015 at 10:50.
Old 11th December 2015, 11:07   #133
BHPian

After having gone through various threads and having test driven a few myself, the following would be the pecking order of my preference (strictly under 10 Lakhs).

1) Ford Aspire DCT- one of the best automatics in terms of drivability- gentle pushes and taps are understood amazingly well by the DCT gearbox. Plus 10 year-240,000 Kms warrants is very reassuring. Also it is one of the cars where you have to make least compromises for opting for an AT. Comes to INR 9 lakh on road in Mumbai (Insurance, a few accessories & exchange bonus included)

2) Honda Jazz- one of the most feature loaded ATs under 10 lakhs today. Humongous space, well refined interiors, super smooth engine (but yes, the rubber-band effect is pronounced if you wanted to drive spiritedly- foot taps need to be really gentle). Also includes the paddle shifts, which is a segment first and we all know Honda reliability.

Apart from this I have also driven the Honda City SV AT, but it is 12L OTR, so discussing it would be off topic.

Besides these, others discussed involve a greater deal of compromise for opting for an AT because most have much poorer specs and accessories as a part of the standard kit when compared to the same model in MT.
Old 12th December 2015, 15:00   #134
BHPian

Got test drive of tuv300 t8, though had specifically mentioned for amt variant. Wifey was totally amazed and found it to be easy to drive. First n second gears are too jerky. Maybe as we never drove any diesel car. But apart from that impressed by it. The turning radius is superb. The first row seats r just ok. For our height, the leg room is more than expected. And we r not bothered about jump seats as those will be occasionally used.
Seriously looking forward to buy this.

Ertiga saleman ditched us for test ride at last minute though was following up from last 10 days. Will go to any showroom and check if td is possible just to help us in deciding.
Old 13th December 2015, 00:00   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetans View Post
Ertiga saleman ditched us for test ride at last minute though was following up from last 10 days. Will go to any showroom and check if td is possible just to help us in deciding.
Went to Mahalaxmi - maruti sales and service center at mundwa. the salesman said that ertiga vxi AT variant is not in production although he mentioned it was launched on 17th nov

Now, i am planning to test ride baleno cvt just for the reason that its mentioned here on this thread.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks