Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2017, 18:09   #196
BHPian

Re: Automatics under 10 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide (now with the Baleno & Ertiga)

I would like to point out that as of February 2017, the On Road price of the Ertiga is 10, 50,000 in Mumbai. I know since I wanted to purchase an automatic 7 seater. ( I ended up buying a Honda BRV auto)
It may be cheaper in say Delhi or other places.
In that case should not the Ertiga be removed from this list?
Old 28th May 2017, 22:24   #197
BHPian

Re: Automatics under 10 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide (now with the Baleno & Ertiga)

Hi Guys,

My friend is planning to purchase Ford Ecosports 1.5 litre Titanium AT variant.
Any feedback on the vehicle and gearbox in the long run will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Naveen
Old 12th June 2017, 10:04   #198
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I'm planning to buy an automatic under 10 Lakhs, and I've zeroed down on the Dzire Zxi+ AGS and the Ciaz Delta AT. I have no prior experience of driving automatics, so wanted to understand how the driving is affected in terms of smoothness and performance between the torque converter and AMT. Please advise.

Oh, by the way, this is my first post on TeamBhp
meetgds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 18:05   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetgds View Post
Hi Guys,
I'm planning to buy an automatic under 10 Lakhs, and I've zeroed down on the Dzire Zxi+ AGS and the Ciaz Delta AT. I have no prior experience of driving automatics, so wanted to understand how the driving is affected in terms of smoothness and performance between the torque converter and AMT. Please advise.

Oh, by the way, this is my first post on TeamBhp
Are you open to looking at other brands other than Maruti. In that case you might test drive the Jazz CVT. It is a nice car to drive around in the city. Will meet your budget spec and also has more space on the interior than the Dzire.
Old 12th June 2017, 20:11   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddychat View Post
Are you open to looking at other brands other than Maruti. In that case you might test drive the Jazz CVT. It is a nice car to drive around in the city. Will meet your budget spec and also has more space on the interior than the Dzire.
I wanted to go for the Ciaz because of its premium looks and huge wheel base, and I rejected the Jazz (and Baleno) as they are neither as feature rich as the Dzire (talking of automatics), nor they are as premium or spacious as the Ciaz.

Dzire is an option for me only because its Zxi + variant is loaded with features that the delta model of Ciaz can't beat, as well as its relative cheaper price tag.
Also, I hear that the CVT is not great for performance and the rubber band effect often is a turnoff. Thoughts?
Old 12th June 2017, 21:25   #201
BHPian

Hi! I would like to point out that CVT transmission technology has improved over the years. But again it depends on the car model in question.
I have the Honda BRV petrol with a CVT. It has a 1.5 liter engine putting out 117 ( or 118) bhp.
It is a 7 seater. So far I have driven with just 4 people on board without luggage. With gentle accelaration, I have not felt the rubber band effect at all. The car picks up speed so well, that I don't even bother to shift to S mode and use the steering mounted paddle shifts ! ( Ironically, the paddle shift was a major plus point in my purchase decision).
But next month I will be going on a short trip with full seven persons on board and luggage for three days. Then it is possible, the rubber band effect may come into play, forcing me change to S mode and aggressively use the paddle shifts during the journey.
So to surmise :
CVT performance will depend on car model, engine power, number of passengers and driving style.
Hope this helps.
SanjayDalal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 22:11   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjayDalal View Post
Hi! I would like to point out that CVT transmission technology has improved over the years. But again it depends on the car model in question.
Thanks! You do have a valid point.

Of the availble CVTs in the budget I have, Baleno was my preference. However I'm more inclined towards the Dzire given since it is more loaded and priced similarly.

Last edited by ampere : 28th June 2017 at 07:03. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 13th June 2017, 15:15   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetgds View Post
I wanted to go for the Ciaz because of its premium looks and huge wheel base, and I rejected the Jazz (and Baleno) as they are neither as feature rich as the Dzire (talking of automatics), nor they are as premium or spacious as the Ciaz.

Dzire is an option for me only because its Zxi + variant is loaded with features that the delta model of Ciaz can't beat, as well as its relative cheaper price tag.
Also, I hear that the CVT is not great for performance and the rubber band effect often is a turnoff. Thoughts?
I thought that the Jazz V CVT was pretty feature loaded. The rubber band effect is something that I have not experienced whenever I have driven the Jazz/City CVT variants. I have driven them around in city traffic.
Also head to head the 1.2 Vtec is way ahead of the 1.2 k Series petrol engine from Maruti.
Old 13th June 2017, 15:32   #204
BHPian

Quote:
I thought that the Jazz V CVT was pretty feature loaded. The rubber band effect is something that I have not experienced whenever I have driven the Jazz/City CVT variants. I have driven them around in city traffic.
Also head to head the 1.2 Vtec is way ahead of the 1.2 k Series petrol engine from Maruti.
The Dzire has the following features which are missing in the Jazz:
  • Push Start/Stop
  • Rear AC Vents
  • DRLs
  • Touch Screen System with Navigation/Android auto/Car Play

While these are not must haves, these definitely add bang for your buck.
Old 26th June 2017, 10:31   #205
BHPian

I just thought of a small doubt. Everyone with an automatic, have you given your car to a valet for parking? Automatics are surely the future, and the trend is certainly rising. But are the valets comfortable with them?
zhopudey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2017, 11:18   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhopudey View Post
I just thought of a small doubt. Everyone with an automatic, have you given your car to a valet for parking? Automatics are surely the future, and the trend is certainly rising. But are the valets comfortable with them?
This was my concern after recently changing to an Autobox. I initially told the Valets that it's an automatic before handing over the key. They gave me a kind of "I know that" stare. in a recent incident, I didn't tell but just watched as he moved. no problems at all. I have even watched my dashcam videos of the Valet parking and there were no issues whatsoever.
IMO, places where luxury cars are a norm, there will be no issues. But other places, to be on the safer side, better tell them that it's an auto
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 23:41   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhopudey View Post

Star rated hotels are not a problem as the valets there have been used to Mercs and BMWs for a long time. It's only smaller places that are a challenge.
Old 28th June 2017, 06:55   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Doing a lot of research on this subject, I find myself veering to the above conclusion as well.

It does have more interior space including for luggage and feels more spacious inside than the new Dzire.

I can't see why one would choose the boot of the Dzire over that of the Jazz hatchback; no advantages that are obvious to me, leaving all else out but just this as the comparison point.

Of course, test driving both is highly recommended; the new Dzire is very good car in many respects.
Old 28th June 2017, 07:06   #209
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I can't see why one would choose the boot of the Dzire over that of the Jazz hatchback; no advantages that are obvious to me, leaving all else out but just this as the comparison point.
It may not be the car in general but the lukewarm response from Honda dealer network or the after sales which may make people think otherwise. (Even I once was a victim. And hence can speak for it).

But lets keep the discussion to the car rather than other aspects. The other car with space is the Baleno with its CVT. One should look at it for sure.
Old 28th June 2017, 07:35   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjayDalal View Post
I have the Honda BRV petrol with a CVT. It has a 1.5 liter engine putting out 117 ( or 118) bhp.
It is a 7 seater. So far I have driven with just 4 people on board without luggage. With gentle accelaration, I have not felt the rubber band effect at all. The car picks up speed so well, that I don't even bother to shift to S mode and use the steering mounted paddle shifts ! ( Ironically, the paddle shift was a major plus point in my purchase decision).
But next month I will be going on a short trip with full seven persons on board and luggage for three days. Then it is possible, the rubber band effect may come into play, forcing me change to S mode and aggressively use the paddle shifts during the journey.
So to surmise :
CVT performance will depend on car model, engine power, number of passengers and driving style.
Hope this helps.
I did a 1100 kms round trip to Kodaikanal and back from Chennai between, 18th and 22nd, June, 2017. My car: 2017 City VX CVT performed flawlessly. I was a little skeptical of using the Eco mode, before the trip. I started using the Eco mode since I was cruising the highways. The car was loaded with luggage and 4 adults, you just have to flex your right foot and you get enough passing power and enough grunt for the inclines on the ghats, it was in Eco Mode through out. I have left it in ECo Mode even in the urban runs too, now. Go ahead and plan your trip, but treat the BR-V as a 6 seater and not a 7 seater as it has less width. For the car to perform well and occupants to be comfy add one member less for long hauls. I'm a family of 4 and my family was extremely comfy with just two in the backseat!

A link to a few pics of the trip in another thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4221815

Last edited by Durango Dude : 28th June 2017 at 07:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks