Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2017, 18:02   #226
BHPian

Re: Automatics under 10 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide (now with the Baleno & Ertiga)

If diesel is the choice , hows the new Dzire AT?
Old 4th November 2017, 07:51   #227
BHPian

Re: Automatics under 10 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide (now with the Baleno & Ertiga)

We are in the market for our second car for city driving. This will be used mostly by my wife and expected running is less than 500 km/month.

Came across a used Micra XV CVT 2016 model with 16K on the odometer with no accident history. It has been serviced twice at the dealer (at 10K and at 15K). I can negotiate it down to 5 lacs. I will have to add the cost of an after-market reverse parking sensor or camera, brokerage to the used-car dealer & RTO transfer fee. Now I am wondering whether I should go for a new Tata Tiago top XZA AT model instead of the 1-year old Micra. The difference in EMI would not be much.

Looking forward to your views on which one would be better for long-term ownership perspective - especially maintenance and service costs.

Last edited by sohu9 : 4th November 2017 at 08:04.
Old 4th November 2017, 09:15   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohu9 View Post
Now I am wondering whether I should go for a new Tata Tiago top XZA AT model instead of the 1-year old Micra. The difference in EMI would not be much.
Isn't the Tata Tiago equipped with an AMT ? The driving experience of an CVT transmission would be much superior compared to an AMT. Also not sure about the long term reliability of an AMT as the number of problems reported on Maruti Celerio cars is quite high and not encouraging. Nissan CVTs tend to have a rubber band effect but you don't feel that as much on a smaller car like the Micra.
outdoorlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2017, 12:20   #229
JD1
BHPian

Interesting designs coming up in automatic transmissions - some may not be totally safe -
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...form=hootsuite
Old 13th March 2018, 03:11   #230
BHPian

Most Comfortable & Luxurious Auto Transmission Hatchback In India

I have been researching for quite sometime on buying a new automatic hatchback for my daily office commute. I had my eyes on the Honda jazz as it is by far the most spacious hatchback in India but feel like the new swift diesel automatic is a more practical car being an all rounder. There is a lot of confusion as to which is a better car out of the two or any other option that I might have missed out.

Criteria

Type - Hatchback (Easier to park in congested by-lanes)
Fuel - Diesel Preferred (Even petrol will do as my daily commute is 50km)
Transmission - Automatic (A complete NO NO for manual transmission)
Brand - Any Reliable (No liking here towards any particular brand)
Variant - Definitely Top of the line (No compromise on the features)
Priority - Comfort (As I will be driving the car all the time)
Old 13th March 2018, 06:08   #231
BHPian

Re: Most Comfortable & Luxurious Auto Transmission Hatchback In India

Jazz is a competent offering from Honda. The interior space and refinement (petrol) is class leading. The Swift comes with a AMT gearbox in the diesel and petrol variants, this would certainly offer good FE. However you need to take a TD and reaffirm that you would be able to live with the AMT driving experience. Also MS has omitted Auto option from the sweet Z+ variants. I would suggest Baleno Alpha CVT as an option, for the features it offers and the CVT autobox. Tata Tiago offers the most value in the Auto Hatch segment, looks great too. FE and Reliability needs to be researched. These are my pointers, hope it helps.

Last edited by sureshkishore : 13th March 2018 at 06:10.
sureshkishore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 06:31   #232
BHPian

Most luxurious! Look for the Germans if they are still making their hatchbacks. If not, get hold of one of their used ones. Shouldn't be too hard to decide.

Perhaps one of the pseudo SUVs from the Germans or the Swedish?
crdi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 07:04   #233
BHPian

Luxurious automatic hatch . You didn't specify your budget.
My suggestions would be:
Polo GT TSI.
Jazz CVT
Baleno CVT
Upcoming Hyundai i20 .

Moving up the ladder-

GTI
VOLVO V40
Mini Cooper
Mercedes Benz A class.

Test drive them all and take a decision. After all, it is you who would be driving😁
sunsetorange is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 08:39   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchy_99 View Post
I had my eyes on the Honda jazz as it is by far the most spacious hatchback in India but feel like the new swift diesel automatic is a more practical car being an all rounder.
Not only is it (Jazz) a lot more spacious, I think it trumps the Swift on practicality too. You can't go wrong with the Honda Jazz. It is not a popular car in India but it is very good. Can't call it luxurious either. The luxury stuff is with Hyundai and VW. The i20 is no longer available with an automatic and I would be cautious on the VW Tsi because it uses a dsg gearbox. You want something that will take you to work and back with the least amount of fuss, something that is proven and when you need help to fix or service the car, a company that is backs you up well.

I am not convinced with the AMT tech. If you have used or experienced a CVT or Torque Converter transmission, the AMT might annoy you.

Other worthy automatic contenders are the Honda Brio (Supermini), Ford Figo and the new Ecosport.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 09:40   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchy_99
...but feel like the new swift diesel automatic is a more practical car being an all rounder.
The new Swift comes with the AMT autobox - do take a proper testdrive because its different from CVT/TC autoboxes. I drove my sister's new Dzire AMT and didn't like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchy_99
There is a lot of confusion as to which is a better car out of the two or any other option that I might have missed out.
Why is the Baleno CVT not in your list ? A good looking car with a good feature list and the CVT autobox. TD it & see if it meets your needs.
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 11:03   #236
BHPian

Quote:
I have been researching for quite sometime on buying a new automatic hatchback
As others have correctly stated, Swift comes with AMT gearbox, which is a BIG no if you love driving. One of our relatives recently bought the new Dzire AMT and it is super jerky and lethargic. Such a disappointing gearbox.. . Baleno CVT/Jazz CVT are two good options. CVT has this inherent rubber band effect though which could be a little annoying at times but still far better than the AMTs IMHO. Do take TDs and make up your mind.
Col Mehta is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 12:58   #237
BHPian

Quote:
I have been researching for quite sometime on buying a new automatic hatchback for my daily office commute. I had my eyes on the Honda jazz as it is by far the most spacious hatchback in India but feel like the new swift diesel automatic is a more practical car being an all rounder. There is a lot of confusion as to which is a better car out of the two or any other option that I might have missed out.

Criteria

Type - Hatchback (Easier to park in congested by-lanes)
Fuel - Diesel Preferred (Even petrol will do as my daily commute is 50km)
Transmission - Automatic (A complete NO NO for manual transmission)
Brand - Any Reliable (No liking here towards any particular brand)
Variant - Definitely Top of the line (No compromise on the features)
Priority - Comfort (As I will be driving the car all the time)
Thanks to everyone for pointing out the AMT gearbox on the swift. I was completely unaware about the gearbox being so not drivable. I am now narrowing down my test drive as per your suggestions to Swift AMT, Baleno CVT, Jazz CVT.
If you guys feel any other addition I should consider for test drive then do comment. Thanks again for all your valuable input.
anarchy_99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 14:18   #238
Senior - BHPian

Are AMT's so bad in Swift? I am planning to buy my first Automatic car (its for wife) and was planning to book Swift VXI AMT. However after reading through some of the comments below, i am now confused. Yes test drive will help, but since its my first Auto car, i might not be able to make much comparison between AMT and CVT. Also this car will be used 2-3 times a week only as my wife works from home most of the time. Dont want to buy manual as my wife wants to get used of Auto as the primary car of the family would soon be a new XUV or Endy (both Auto).

I can stretch my budget a little and go for Baleno CVT, but i feel it looks OLD. Swift is fresh and saves me around 80K.

What to do?
Old 13th March 2018, 14:42   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post

What to do?
As mentioned in my previous post, the new Dzire with the similar engine and AMT gearbox isn't the best car to drive (I'm being very polite here) and since Swift shares the same tech and engine, I wouldn't have a lot of hope of any positive driving experience with it either. Do take your wife for the TDs and let her decide as she is going to be the primary user.

Even though you are new to the auto gearbox, I'm sure the difference between the two (AMT and CVT) would be quite apparent. Not that AMT is horribly bad but it isn't anything to write home about and definitely falls behind better available techs in the market.
Col Mehta is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 15:00   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Are AMT's so bad in Swift? I am planning to buy my first Automatic car (its for wife) and was planning to book Swift VXI AMT. However after reading through some of the comments below, i am now confused. Yes test drive will help, but since its my first Auto car, i might not be able to make much comparison between AMT and CVT.
What to do?
How about the I10 automatic? Mileage is a bit low, but it drives very well. In any case it is way ahead of AMT.
AutoSphere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed