Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2018, 18:59   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: What Automatic Car - Mumbai - 15 Lacs OTR?

Why isn't Jazz AT not in your list? It is CVT and can be bit boring, but otherwise a very good option.
Old 6th October 2018, 19:33   #152
Senior - BHPian

I had a requirement somewhat similar to yours, but with half the daily commute and 2/3rd the budget , got the Jazz VX CVT.

With your nature of running, I guess a Diesel AT makes more sense, and the Verna Diesel AT should fit the bill.

The Verna Diesel E AT should come in at a shade less than 15 lakhs in Mumbai, with the SX+ AT coming at around 16 lakhs.
But word is out that Hyundai is offering discounts, so some skilful bargaining may get you the SX+ Diesel AT at around 15 lakhs.

Quote:
The stylish B-segment sedan Verna is currently the second best selling sedan in its segment. Due to the festive season, the car is being offered with upto Rs 60,000 benefits. The benefits include a cash discount of Rs. 20,000 along with exchange value of Rs. 20,000. Apart from this, Hyundai is dishing out a high corporate discount of Rs. 20,000, taking the overall benefit to Rs. 60,000.
https://www.cartoq.com/hyundai-verna...-hyundai-cars/
Old 6th October 2018, 22:40   #153
BHPian

Check out the Ciaz too, fits the bill for a well built individual. Spacious, enough grunt though mates to 4 speed tranny. With the micro hybrid, fuel efficiency should be decent. Comes with all bells and whistles.
Old 7th October 2018, 10:01   #154
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Check out the Ciaz too, fits the bill for a well built individual. Spacious, enough grunt though mates to 4 speed tranny.
Unless you are a total 'average Joe' who doesn't care at all about the engine or transmission, please avoid this. The 1.5L engine is strictly adequate, as is the 4-speed AT which feels old & outdated (it even has an 'overdrive off' button!!!!). This would be my last choice of AT in the segment.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 16:46   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
The Verna
Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Don't buy MT, just too much hassle in our traffic.............If you have managed with Honda City (gold standard in low GC), you can certainly manage with Verna.
Yes I am also leaning towards the Verna for the engine and the gearbox combo. I have managed the Honda City well, that is true. But I have now grown tired of doing so and hence I was looking at the pseudo-SUVs. Guess will have to stick to a good sedan (which I like for their driving dynamics )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Why isn't Jazz AT not in your list? It is CVT and can be bit boring, but otherwise a very good option.
I was focusing on Diesels mainly and hence didn't bother Jazz a lot but yes it is an option. But then I believe Jazz is very much over-prized for what it offers. The only positive I see it it is the space for the rear seat but that is not a very important need for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
With your nature of running, I guess a Diesel AT makes more sense, and the Verna Diesel AT should fit the bill.[/url]
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Check out the Ciaz too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Unless you are a total 'average Joe' who doesn't care at all about the engine or transmission, please avoid this. The 1.5L engine is strictly adequate, as is the 4-speed AT which feels old & outdated (it even has an 'overdrive off' button!!!!). This would be my last choice of AT in the segment.
+1 to GTO. I have never liked the Ciaz as it is not a driver's car. Ciaz is only good at rear seat space (legroom) and hence if you have a driver and are a Maruti fan, it is a considerate option. Otherwise I do not see any merit in Ciaz.

Guess will have to stick to Verna, unless Creta sees some discounts when I finally sign the dotted line.
Old 7th October 2018, 23:06   #156
BHPian

Re: Automatics between 10-17 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide

I think you can consider AMT too.
B2B traffic strains the left leg due to clutch movement, while with AMT you can still use the Manual mode without a need for pressing the clutch.
With that, the possibilities of other models may open a lot, my 2 cents.
Tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 05:16   #157
Senior - BHPian

Re: Automatics between 10-17 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide

If you think you'll be keeping the car for long, I'd suggest you buy a Verna diesel AT or a Honda City CVT.

I'd make the decision on three factors:
1. Whichever car pulls the strings to my heart
2. Keeping 10 year diesel bans in mind

3. More features
Old 8th October 2018, 05:47   #158
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
- Automatic: Mandatory. Daily running will be 75-80 Kms (all weekdays) with a 50:50 mix of B2B traffic and highways.
- Reliable: Will be the only car at home and used daily. Hence reliability is very important.
- Fuel: I am immaterial to the fuel but do not want CNG. Too long queues at CNG stations due to large number of taxis in Mumbai and can't afford to waste that much time.
- Safety: Important. With the conditions of our roads, the road rage that we all see and face and the importance of our life, safety is very important.
- Car Shape: Immaterial. But given the state of the roads in Mumbai and Thane, and my long daily commute - I would need a comfortable ride.
- Budget: Strictly under 15L OTR Mumbai/Thane. No flexibility here.
I can see options easily from the above. One you have discussed and taken out and the other not mentioned. The one you disqualified is the Amaze Diesel AT. I think you should consider.

The other option: Yaris CVT? Reliable and safe for sure. Cant say much on pricing front. It would cross the budget. But I think worth considering. Given you will cover many 1000s of KM, if FTD factor is sacrificed to reliability, my suggestion, you should gladly err on the positive side of reliability.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2018, 16:02   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I can see options easily from the above. One you have discussed and taken out and the other not mentioned. The one you disqualified is the Amaze Diesel AT. I think you should consider.
I am thinking of getting the Amaze Diesel CVT too, worried that same issue of car having good initial reports, but not being good enough to own thanks to cost cutting in engineering or reliability(as with my spanking new Tigor which will be replaced).

Build quality seems few notches below Maruti in few areas, if it holds up well then it will be the ideal one to be in my garage in less than an year.
Old 12th November 2019, 23:18   #160
BHPian

Confused among Rapid AT, Vento TSI DSG, Rapid DSG and Yaris CVT

I am looking for a sedan to carry around 5 members and some luggage, mostly for long-distance highway use. My yearly use would be approx 15k kms. I drive very sedately and rarely in triple digits. I own an Abarth Punto as well to occasionally satisfy my enthusiast's itch.

My primary requirements are:
  • comfortable for long distance cruising, even for the elderly
  • safety, not only airbags and electronics, but a solid built as well
  • reliability, would like to keep it for atleast 8-10 years

I have owned Rapid MPI MT before and used it for the same purpose. But had to sell it off due to some reasons. Here are things I liked and disliked about it:
  1. Solid built. Once I had to brake hard and because of that a M800 rear ended me badly. The damage was absolutely nothing! Whereas the M800 lost its front bumper and bonnet was bent.
  2. Stability on highways.
  3. Comfort and features

What I disliked about it:
  1. Brakes were just adequate.
  2. MPI engine was very noisy above 4000 rpm
  3. My car had 2 issues within 1 year - a) rear left tyre developed a bulge and b) rear windscreen completely broke into fine pieces without any impact. It was parked over night in a shade during the month of Dec and winter was starting. Early morning I noticed that the windscreen looked like it has frost on it. When I touched it, entire windscreen just dropped. Upon looking on forums and other sites, what I understood that it happens rarely due to temperature difference. Still not sure though.
  4. Low GC when fully loaded. Underbody used to scrape on big breakers.

Here are the cars I have narrowed down to (top end models):
  1. Skoda Rapid Diesel DSG
  2. Skoda Rapid Petrol AT
  3. Toyota Yaris CVT
  4. VW Vento TSI DSG
Based on above experience, I am a bit confused that should go with VW/Skoda again or go with Yaris?
  1. Will Yaris be more comfortable and accommodate 5 people more easily as it is wider? How much more comfortable it will be?
  2. Barring the airbags and electronic gizmos, is Yaris as safe as Rapid/Vento considering its build? Yaris is ~108KG lighter than Rapid/Vento. Can a Yaris be as safe as Rapid in a T-boned and other non-NCAP scenarios?
  3. I know Yaris is the most reliable here. But is Rapid Petrol AT more reliable than Vento TSI DSG or Rapid/Vento TDI DSG? If yes, how much will it matter in long term considering my usages?

Any help is this regard will be greatly appreciated.

Note to mods - I was unable to find this comparison anywhere hence starting a new thread. Please feel free to merge it in case I have missed an existing thread. Thank you.
Old 13th November 2019, 11:19   #161
BHPian

Re: Confused among Rapid AT, Vento TSI DSG, Rapid DSG and Yaris CVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehacker View Post
I am looking for a sedan to carry around 5 members and some luggage, mostly for long-distance highway use. My yearly use would be approx 15k kms. I drive very sedately and rarely in triple digits.......
Since the usage you've described is mostly a comfort oriented one, with 5 adults, luggage and all, i don't think you'd find a sedan that suits your purpose. An SUV is more like it. Look for the Creta, Seltos, MG Hector, etc. The Rapid and Vento won't be comfortable for 3 elderly in the rear seat due to it's low egress and also with limited knee room. And with the luggage of 5 people, there's no avoiding the scraping of underbelly. Yaris would be good in rear seat, but again, the ground clearance with 5 people and their luggage would be a factor.
A monocoque SUV with 5 seats is what would be a good fit in my opinion.

And since you're open to petrol engines, the Creta, Seltos, and Hector look like good choices.

Last edited by DeepakS : 13th November 2019 at 11:22.
Old 13th November 2019, 12:03   #162
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for a sedan to carry around 5 members and some luggage, mostly for long-distance highway use.
I think Toyota Etios fits the bill. Last i sat in it, 3 in the back seat should be reasonably comfortable compared to most sedans. Although outdated & perceived image of the car may not be great, but if i remember correctly it comes with a 4 star safety rating!
Old 13th November 2019, 12:32   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakS View Post
Since the usage you've described is mostly a comfort oriented one, with 5 adults, luggage and all, i don't think you'd find a sedan that suits your purpose. An SUV is more like it. Look for the Creta, Seltos, MG Hector, etc. The Rapid and Vento won't be comfortable for 3 elderly in the rear seat due to it's low egress and also with limited knee room. And with the luggage of 5 people, there's no avoiding the scraping of underbelly. Yaris would be good in rear seat, but again, the ground clearance with 5 people and their luggage would be a factor.
A monocoque SUV with 5 seats is what would be a good fit in my opinion.

And since you're open to petrol engines, the Creta, Seltos, and Hector look like good choices.
Agreed Deepak. I was, too, initially looking for a SUV. I started from Duster AWD, but as it is no more offered in RXZ variant so dropped it. The only car that ticked most of the boxes was Innova Crysta GX AT 2.8. But I don't want a body-on-frame SUV because - they are generally less safe compared to a monocoque SUV and more tiresome (not based on my experience, but what I have read on TBHP and other forums).

So, the only SUVs that ticked all the boxes were:
  1. Jeep Compass Trailhawk AT
  2. VW Tiguan
  3. Skoda Kodiaq
But they are wayyy above my budget. If that changes in future, definitely would buy one without thinking twice. SUVs are best suited for our roads.

Seltos, Hector and Harrier I considered and dropped because - a) there are many reports of niggles and reliability issues, b) I don't feel they will be as safe as a VW or a Skoda in a non-NCAP scenario.

Somehow I never develop liking for a Hyundai car(Creta), no offence to its owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
I think Toyota Etios fits the bill. Last i sat in it, 3 in the back seat should be reasonably comfortable compared to most sedans. Although outdated & perceived image of the car may not be great, but if i remember correctly it comes with a 4 star safety rating!
Yes. It is very comfortable and spacious. But I already have a Etios Liva at my home. And secondly, Etios doesn't come with an AT gearbox.

Hence, I narrowed down to the cars in the my original post - Rapid, Vento or Yaris. Elderly definitely will not feel comfortable in such cars, specially if the interiors are black and the rear windows do not roll down completely. However, I am okay to scrape the car occasionally than to travel in an unsafe car. Am I being too pessimistic? Maybe. I have driven extensively on Indian highways, did a Golden Quadrilateral run as well. I have seen the kind of risk we are at when travelling on our highways.

Thanks!

Last edited by thehacker : 13th November 2019 at 12:52. Reason: Added more info and points.
Old 13th November 2019, 14:29   #164
BHPian

Quote:
But I don't want a body-on-frame SUV because - they are generally less safe compared to a monocoque SUV and more tiresome (not based on my experience, but what I have read on TBHP and other forums).
Innova Crysta, GX 2.8 Auto, if it fits in your budget, then i'd say go for it eyes closed! You could not be further from truth about the tiresome factor. It's immensely effortless to drive the Crysta automatic, and with that super sweet 2800cc(Same as fortuner) diesel motor, it's ridiculously nimble for it's weight and class.
Coming to the safety aspect, well i think Crysta is as good the Germans you mentioned. It received 5 stars in the crash tests.

I didn't suggest you the Crysta in my previous post because it didn't appear that you were willing to go for such a huge vehicle. But if you're actually okay with the size and fuel efficiency of Crysta, then by all means, test drive it a couple of times, research on it online and offline, and then make an informed decisions. Please don't go into any brand with any sort of prejudice.
Old 13th November 2019, 15:51   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakS View Post
Innova Crysta, GX 2.8 Auto, if it fits in your budget, then i'd say go for it eyes closed! You could not be further from truth about the tiresome factor. It's immensely effortless to drive the Crysta automatic, and with that super sweet 2800cc(Same as fortuner) diesel motor, it's ridiculously nimble for it's weight and class.
Coming to the safety aspect, well i think Crysta is as good the Germans you mentioned. It received 5 stars in the crash tests.

I didn't suggest you the Crysta in my previous post because it didn't appear that you were willing to go for such a huge vehicle. But if you're actually okay with the size and fuel efficiency of Crysta, then by all means, test drive it a couple of times, research on it online and offline, and then make an informed decisions. Please don't go into any brand with any sort of prejudice.
Yes Deepak, Crysta is an awesome car. My only worry in the case of Crysta is that owners of Innova complain that every small ding results in a dent. Also, VW/Skoda have side protection bars in their doors(and roof) which I believe Innova or Yaris doesn't have. So, not sure how it will perform when T-bonned or other "non-NCAP" scenarios - cases which are not a part of any NCAP testing agency.

In case of under-running a lorry, even German/European sedans would offer only limited protection due to their low height.

But in such cases - T-bone or under-running a lorry or a roll over etc. - will Innova 'structurally' perform as good as(or be as safe as) Tiguan or Compass or Kodiaq? I know it won't, but what I am not able to figure out is, how much of a difference that would be?

My thought behind going for a C segment German sedan was that it is safer than Yaris/Innova and the money I would save, I would use to buy a German SUV hopefully in future when I could afford one.

Thanks!
thehacker is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks