Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2020, 21:37   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Suitable Automatic Petrol SUV under 13 Lacs On Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAxe View Post
@SoumenD Thank you for your prompt reply.
Ecosport feels outdated now and I don't wanna buy a Nissan.
In that case Maruti S-Cross or Brezza can be looked at. Age old 4 speed TC box but they do the job just fine and build quality as well is good in these two, brezza being rated 4-star NCAP.

If u are open to DCTs or AMTs u have lots of choices but then since u mentioned in the opening post about not looking at these , didn’t suggest them.

Brezza ZXI+ AT might be the car for your dad as it has a smooth transmission, 4 cylinder NA 1.5L motor(smooth) with decent low and mid range(good for city) , is frugal being a Maruti petrol & reliability shouldn’t be an issue.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 22:44   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Regarding fuel economy, ~10 kmpl is the norm for petrol automatic cars in this segment.
If that's the best FE I can get in bumper to bumper traffic with any car in this segment. Then won't Sonet HTK Plus be a better option since it meets all my requirements?
Need your valuable advices.

Quote:
Tata Nexon top-end automatic meets all your requirements. Petrol, automatic, compact SUV, infotainment system, rear AC vents, comfortable ride - all this under 13 lakhs on road. Regarding fuel economy, ~10 kmpl is the norm for petrol automatic cars in this segment.

AMT is a tad inferior as compared to what this segment offers. Let your Dad do a long TD and decide if he's comfortable with the shift times.

If not, I'm afraid you'll have to strike rear AC vents from your list and consider TC options such as Brezza and S-Cross. Ecosport isn't best in terms of ride comfort while others don't offer a proper TC/CVT box.

EDIT:

Leaves you with Brezza and S-Cross. That age old 4-speed TC is very smooth and reliable.
If 10 kmpl is the best that I can get in bumper to bumper traffic with any car in this segment then wouldn't Kia Sonet HTK Plus be a better option than the rest?
Need your valuable advices everyone.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th November 2020 at 05:48. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 9th November 2020, 05:17   #183
BHPian

Re: Suitable Automatic Petrol SUV under 13 Lacs On Road

Quote:
Automatic Petrol SUV for my father who's going to drive it for the next 15 years so should be comfortable to drive considering age factor and have decent mileage.
Petrol Automatic only.
Are you willing to buying used?

If you buy new, with your budget, you’ll only get what are basically raised hatchbacks. I also doubt if any of the GDI engines from the options which you have shortlisted will survive 15yrs, on regular Indian petrol.

If you’re willing to buy used, there are plenty of 4yr old CR-V AT to choose from. It’s a proper crossover, supremely comfortable, spacious and has the legendary Honda drivetrain reliability. You’ll get bored driving it before it starts to break.

https://www.olx.in/en/delhi_g4058659...n_2014_to_2020

https://droom.in/cars/used?page=1&ta...condition=used

Don’t expect the turbo GDI engines to last 15yrs without burning a serious hole in your pocket. Do some research online regarding them, before you decide to buy one, since yours will be a very long term purchase.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 10:36   #184
BHPian

Re: Automatics between 10-17 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
Are you willing to buying used?

If you buy new, with your budget, you’ll only get what are basically raised hatchbacks. I also doubt if any of the GDI engines from the options which you have shortlisted will survive 15yrs, on regular Indian petrol.

Don’t expect the turbo GDI engines to last 15yrs without burning a serious hole in your pocket. Do some research online regarding them, before you decide to buy one, since yours will be a very long term purchase.
I'm not looking for a used car. Considering my requirements which car would be my best option?

A humble request to Aditya sir and GTO sir, Please unmerge this thread back to my original thread.

Edit:
Is it worth spending 5 lacs more and going for Creta SX IVT? Since cars are depreciating assets if Sonet meets my requirements why spend more on Creta?
Will it last 15 years without burning a hole in my pocket?

Last edited by MadAxe : 9th November 2020 at 11:04.
Old 9th November 2020, 12:44   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Is it worth spending 5 lacs more and going for Creta SX IVT? Since cars are depreciating assets if Sonet meets my requirements why spend more on Creta?
Will it last 15 years without burning a hole in my pocket?
Is your CSUV requirement set in stone? If you’re willing to consider sedans, your options expand considerably from the Yaris CVT, City CVT to the Civic V CVT. Also, an unexpected option may be the base Innova AT, if that catches your fancy. All of the above mentioned vehicles will easily last 15yrs with minimum maintenance & only routine wear & tear part replacements.

A word of advice, no matter which vehicle you choose, stick to proven engine & transmission technology, especially since yours will be a 15yr ownership. You don’t want to be the guinea pig/beta tester of the OEMs for fine tuning their new technology (let alone if it has some serious design flaws which crop up once you’re out of warranty). See below -

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-response.html (Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ia-seltos.html (Brake failure issues in the Kia Seltos)

Ultimately, it’s your money & your choice, but choose wisely.

Last edited by ChoosetoCruze : 9th November 2020 at 12:45.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 13:00   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If that's the best FE I can get in bumper to bumper traffic with any car in this segment. Then won't Sonet HTK Plus be a better option since it meets all my requirements?
Need your valuable advices.
Yes, that'll be the overall FE. It will drop down to single digits in long traffic snarls and stretch to 13-14 km/l on the highways. Diesel AT is a more popular choice for this very reason but I guess that's not an option for you because of Delhi's 10-year rule.

Sadly, I haven't been in the Sonet even once to give you any opinion. That car does look tempting on paper but I'd still stick with old school TC boxes and NA engines for their long term reliability.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 23:51   #187
BHPian

Thanks a lot everyone for your advices, I've gone through each one of them.

Maruti Suzuki S Cross seems to be the most apt choice for me. But when my father test drove the S Cross after the likes of Venue, Nexon and Sonet, he didn't feel like it was worth spending 13 lacs on the S Cross.

He has already booked the Sonet HTK Plus DCT and is hell bent on buying it and not ready to budge.This would be his last car before retiring from his job and he would drive it for the next 15 years. Would following practices such as idling and putting the car in neutral at every long halt ensure that the car lasts for 15 years without any hefty repairs? Please suggest any more healthy practices to ensure the longetivity of the engine and the DCT.

Also is it worth spending 5 lacs more and going for Creta SX IVT just to evade the reliability of the turbo petrol engine and heating issues of the DCT?

Sonet seems to be meet all my requirements and the Creta would be just be an overkill and a burden on the pocket.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st December 2020 at 12:17. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Old 17th November 2020, 00:54   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He has already booked the Sonet HTK Plus DCT and is hell bent on buying it and not ready to budge.
If that's the case, then let him go ahead. Although not the best, Sonet is not a bad choice either.

Quote:
Also is it worth spending 5 lacs more and going for Creta SX IVT just to evade the reliability of the turbo petrol engine and heating issues of the DCT?
Keeping the recent GNCAP results in mind, it would be a clear no from my side.

As far as reliability and heating issues are concerned, there are a lot of factors involved. It is not correct to sum up the reliability of all turbo petrols and DCTs under one blanket statement. There are a lot of discussions related to mechanical empathy, proper maintenance and similar topics in "Team BHP Advice" section. If you treat your car well, there's no reason for it to give up on you all of a sudden. Do not be overly apprehensive about this.

Last edited by self_driven : 17th November 2020 at 00:56.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 06:20   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If that's the case, then let him go ahead. Although not the best, Sonet is not a bad choice either.

Keeping the recent GNCAP results in mind, it would be a clear no from my side.

As far as reliability and heating issues are concerned, there are a lot of factors involved. It is not correct to sum up the reliability of all turbo petrols and DCTs under one blanket statement.
Well, the same generalization should not be extended to the safety aspects. I think we must not belabour the point about "Seltos" "base variant" "frontal collision" crash test results. That information is out there for all to see and for buyers to utilise for all its worth.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 17th November 2020 at 06:21.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 09:00   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I think we must not belabour the point about "Seltos" "base variant" "frontal collision" crash test results.
I agree. Crash test results are out there for everyone to see.

My point w.r.t. safety is simply that it is not worth spending another 5 lakhs to go for the Creta. When I said "keeping GNCAP results in mind", I was referring to Hyundai's past record (first Santro, now i10) as a whole and not just Kia Seltos' result. In fact, Creta could perform better or worse than the Seltos, who knows?
Old 21st December 2020, 12:03   #191
BHPian

So my budget has now increased to 18 On Road(strict).

Had shortlisted the Hyundai Creta SX IVT and Kia Seltos HTX IVT.

The problem arising is, both of these have at least 4-5 months of waiting period and I need to buy the car before 31st March anyhow.

Is there any chance that the Tata Harrier Automatic Petrol, Skoda Vision IN and VW Taigun Automatic Petrol counterparts would be launched before March?

They are rumoured to come with the wet clutch type 7 speed DCT and better build. Would they be any better than the Koreans and still come under my budget?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st December 2020 at 12:18. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Old 23rd December 2020, 19:37   #192
BHPian

Is Creta SX IVT the best car under 18 lakhs OR for my use case or is there any better car?

Edited Criteria:
Automatic Petrol SUV for my father who's going to drive it for the next 15 years so should be comfortable to drive considering age factor and have decent mileage.
Petrol Automatic only.
No Diesel.

Budget:
18 Lakhs (On Road)

Usage:
Majorly city usage-50 km (to and fro) commute during weekdays and 50 km during weekends.
So a total of 300km running in a week.

Requirements:
Good enough mileage, CVT or TC, Parking sensors, Infotainment Display and Rear AC Vents.

Main Priority on driving comfortability, ease of driving and mileage.

Last edited by MadAxe : 23rd December 2020 at 20:00.
MadAxe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 23:14   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Is Creta SX IVT the best car under 18 lakhs OR for my use case or is there any better car?

Edited Criteria:
Petrol Automatic only.
No Diesel.

Budget:
18 Lakhs (On Road)

Usage:
Majorly city usage-50 km (to and fro) commute during weekdays and 50 km during weekends.

Requirements:
Good enough mileage, CVT or TC, Parking sensors, Infotainment Display and Rear AC Vents.

The only other option that I see is an S-Cross AT top variant. Agree that it is not an SUV but neither is the Creta. S-Cross has good GC and a good seating position. Rest all cars will be a compromise on either space Or ride stiffness.

I would prefer the S-Cross over the Creta simply for looks and your intention to keep it for 15 years (meaning Resale Value won't matter much).

Last edited by sunilch : 23rd December 2020 at 23:16.
Old 23rd December 2020, 23:28   #194
BHPian

Quote:

Edited Criteria:
Petrol Automatic only.
No Diesel.

Budget:
18 Lakhs (On Road)

Usage:

Requirements:

For fuss free long term ownership...go for S cross. Hyundai/Kia are just feature full products, good on books, good to show off like a youngster...but neither reliable nor safe.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 10:54   #195
BHPian

Quote:
If fancy features and 6 airbags is not a criteria and you are okay with a 4 speed TC, I would highly recommend getting the S-Cross over Creta and save a good 5 lakh INR. Mileage is better. Driving manners are more or less the same. Covers all your requirements.

Last edited by sam264_2000 : 24th December 2020 at 10:54. Reason: Formatting

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks