Team-BHP > What Car?

Old 24th October 2017, 14:32   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Automatics between 10-17 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav14 View Post
I couldn't able to decide on this guys. Generally if I buy a used one, I'll replace it in a year. If I buy a new one, I'll keep it for at least 4-5 years. Now if I buy a new one, I'll keep it as a third car and go for a luxury car new/used car next year.

Please help me out in choosing the best one for my requirement.
Any other suggestions are also most welcome. Thanks in advance.
This bit here makes no sense - well maintained used cars can also be fairly reliable, and it may make sense to pick up a pre-owned X1 which you can use for a few years and which would suffice the itch of a premium car.

Even though maintenance will be higher, you would end up spending on maintenance on your third luxury car next year anyways - in fact may spend more if the car isn't used as much!
Old 24th October 2017, 18:36   #122
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
Time to sell my Indica and buy a new car

Requirements:
1. Petrol
2. Automatic
3. Mainly City driving in Mumbai
4. Ideally SUV
5. Should be able to seat 5 passengers
Any reason why the Baleno/Jazz automatic is not considered?

Last edited by Oxy : 24th October 2017 at 18:49.
Old 24th October 2017, 19:09   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Any reason why the Baleno/Jazz automatic is not considered?
Jazz was in the original consideration set but lack of features in the AT version made me think otherwise. I would rather spend more and go for Honda City/ Verna which offers better engine, 6 airbags, sunroof and many more features which Jazz does not offer.

Baleno - Don't like the looks and its built quality does not ooze confidence for me.
Old 2nd November 2017, 08:24   #124
Team-BHP Support

Requirements:
1. Diesel
2. Automatic
3. Commuting in NCR
4. Ideally SUV, or a raised hatch. [I am asking to get an Elantra]

Wish EcoSport came with an AT in diesel.
Old 2nd November 2017, 10:12   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Requirements:
1. Diesel
2. Automatic
3. Commuting in NCR
4. Ideally SUV, or a raised hatch. [I am asking to get an Elantra]

Wish EcoSport came with an AT in diesel.
Hyundai Creta fits the bill to a T

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
Time to sell my Indica and buy a new car

Requirements:
1. Petrol
2. Automatic
3. Mainly City driving in Mumbai
4. Ideally SUV

So current open options are Compass, City and Ecosport.

Super confused
The Hyundai creta is a worthy competitor. Any reason why that is not in consideration

Last edited by moralfibre : 2nd November 2017 at 12:17. Reason: Back to back posts.
smsrini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2017, 13:39   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
I think you should replace small car with a small car, thereby retaining practicality and ease of use in the city. The smaller cars also give much better financial benefit for diesel.
Totally agree with you. For the kind of usage I have, a small car with better fuel efficiency is always the most sensible option. But the problem for me with small cars is - Lack of adjustable lumbar support. And I developed a serious back problem these days due to high driving. I don't think any small car in India has that option. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Else, I'll have to use some after-market options for lumbar support. (Don't know how comfortable they'll be. Anyone using them - please advise).
Quote:
Third option would be Hyundai Creta. Yes, you may not be convinced about shelling 17 lakhs on that car, but the difference to Verna will come back to you, both in terms of tackling potholes and in resale value.
But somehow, I could not get convinced on shelling out 17.6 lacs and buying a car without cruise control, leather seats and many other features (considering I want an Automatic variant).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik.1991 View Post
I would suggest to have a look at used Jetta MK6 2.0 Tdi. It is a fairly reliable car & will also be a lot cheaper than used Octavia.

2.0 Tdi is fun to drive as well as fuel efficient. It also provides best in the class handling.
Thank you for the suggestion. Will definitely consider that car too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
This bit here makes no sense - well maintained used cars can also be fairly reliable, and it may make sense to pick up a pre-owned X1 which you can use for a few years and which would suffice the itch of a premium car.

Even though maintenance will be higher, you would end up spending on maintenance on your third luxury car next year anyways - in fact may spend more if the car isn't used as much!
Thank you so much. Totally agree with your reasoning. Just the thought of owning that machine is giving me goosebumps
However, my only concern with buying a used X1 now is - extremely high usage for another 6-8 months. I guess monthly 4,000 kms is not a small thing. In addition to this, I would be taking this car to every nook and corner of the city - including narrow lanes, bad roads, old city areas etc. where there are high chances of getting damaged in some or the other way (Till now, I didn't get even a scratch on my current car though). One simple scratch can cost me a bomb!! Any kind of a small under-body hit will set me back for a couple of lacs.

Also, I have a tendency to change cars every 8-12 months. Changed 16 cars till now in 9 years. Hence, I thought of that option - buying a luxury car after 8 months or so, so that my usage will come down by that time.

Only due to this fear & the above stated reason, I'm still thinking about other cars. Else, I would've bought it with my eyes closed.

Last edited by madhav14 : 5th November 2017 at 13:46.
Old 5th November 2017, 14:10   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,

Currently, I'm using an i20 Elite diesel and we have an XUV w6 AT also in the family. Now, I'm planning to change my i20 by this December.

Budget: 20-22 lacs max

Please help me out in choosing the best one for my requirement.
Any other suggestions are also most welcome. Thanks in advance.
I was in the same situation (i20 elite D), though my monthly run is close to 2K only.

Had started having lower back pain and hence wanted a vehicle with a higher seating position.

Got a used XUV W10 (manual) which had done less than 19K, for <15 lac.

Yes, fuel efficiency ain't comparable but then the lumbar support more than makes up for it. Icing on the cake is the plethora of features & safety. As part of the deal had also got a roof carrier, so all seats are usable on long drives as well.

Good luck with the search!
vinjosep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2017, 15:40   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post

Got a used XUV W10 (manual) which had done less than 19K, for <15 lac.

Good luck with the search!
Thank you. The thing is we already have a W6 AT at home which is 80% used by my father and 20% by me. We replaced fluidic verna with this XUV W6 AT in 2017 Jan for the same reason i.e. back and knee pain for father.

Hence, looking for other options. Else, XUV is a brilliant and most VFM package at that price. Especially those 2nd row seats man - no other car in 2 segments hiigher or lower has that kind of comfort and legroom.
Old 5th November 2017, 18:16   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Totally agree with you. For the kind of usage I have, a small car with better fuel efficiency is always the most sensible option. But the problem for me with small cars is - Lack of adjustable lumbar support. And I developed a serious back problem these days due to high driving. I don't think any small car in India has that option. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Else, I'll have to use some after-market options for lumbar support. (Don't know how comfortable they'll be. Anyone using them - please advise).
Well TUV300 has the lumbar support feature, so you can check it out.

While many small cars won't have lumbar support along with diesel automatic, they do have one thing going strongly for them, and that is convenience. The ease of zipping through the city with far less mental stress.

There are many cars who have comfortable seating, but without lumbar support. I don't think you should rule them out without giving them a proper go. Ignis has a very comfortable driver seat with good support, and might suit you well. The tall boy seating should be good as well.
Old 6th November 2017, 12:09   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much. Totally agree with your reasoning. Just the thought of owning that machine is giving me goosebumps
However, my only concern with buying a used X1 now is - extremely high usage for another 6-8 months. I guess monthly 4,000 kms is not a small thing. In addition to this, I would be taking this car to every nook and corner of the city - including narrow lanes, bad roads, old city areas etc. where there are high chances of getting damaged in some or the other way (Till now, I didn't get even a scratch on my current car though). One simple scratch can cost me a bomb!! Any kind of a small under-body hit will set me back for a couple of lacs.

Also, I have a tendency to change cars every 8-12 months. Changed 16 cars till now in 9 years. Hence, I thought of that option - buying a luxury car after 8 months or so, so that my usage will come down by that time.
Fair enough, but then again - I believe this may just make driving for work that much more fun!
I took our old E Class to all lanes / bad roads in the city without any issue. These cars are quite sturdy and you may pick up a few scratches and underbody hits - but these cars can take them quite well (provided you're careful, don't fly over speed breakers - I doubt any car can take that).

But yes - I get the stress that may be there (which is why we've replaced some Germans with Japs at home). If that's the case then pick up a pre-owned cross over like the Creta, or SUV like Fortuner instead.
Given how often you change cars, it doesn't make sense to buy new and take a huge depreciation hit!
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2017, 13:40   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Fair enough, but then again - I believe this may just make driving for work that much more fun!
Totally agree. In addition to fun, it gives me a good brand value which might positively affect my business too.
Quote:
I took our old E Class to all lanes / bad roads in the city without any issue. These cars are quite sturdy and you may pick up a few scratches and underbody hits - but these cars can take them quite well.
Thank you. This particular statement is very reassuring indeed. With this post of yours, I finally gathered some courage and decided to start my search for a used X1 (new shape).
Hope I find a good one by this Dec end or Jan 2018. My budget of 25 lacs max might make the search a bit difficult though.

Quote:
Given how often you change cars, it doesn't make sense to buy new and take a huge depreciation hit!
Exactly. That's why every new car goes to dad and he uses for 3-4 years while I enjoy 3-4 cars by that time

Quote:
But yes - I get the stress that may be there (which is why we've replaced some Germans with Japs at home). If that's the case then pick up a pre-owned cross over like the Creta, or SUV like Fortuner instead.
Yes. There will be some stress, but I'd rather prefer that stress to driving a over-priced Creta or a Fortuner which I personally don't like. Rather, I'm contemplating on the following list in the order of preference (based on availability in used market).

1. Used BMW X1
2. Used Endeavour
3. Used Octavia DSG
4. New Verna or Rapid (Worst case - buy, use for 6-8 months, keep as third car and buy a used luxury car then).

Hope I stop with the first option itself. Thank you all once again. Will keep you guys posted on my search
Old 7th November 2017, 13:55   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yes. There will be some stress, but I'd rather prefer that stress to driving a over-priced Creta or a Fortuner which I personally don't like. Rather, I'm contemplating on the following list in the order of preference (based on availability in used market).

1. Used BMW X1
2. Used Endeavour
3. Used Octavia DSG
4. New Verna or Rapid (Worst case - buy, use for 6-8 months, keep as third car and buy a used luxury car then).

Hope I stop with the first option itself. Thank you all once again. Will keep you guys posted on my search
You should test drive the Tata Hexa.

Endeavor sized
Lumbar Support
Cruise Control
8 air bags
Diesel Automatic
Plushest ride this side of 20 big ones.
Harman music system ( if that counts )

Cheers!
Srini
smsrini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2017, 16:28   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
You should test drive the Tata Hexa.

Endeavor sized
Lumbar Support
Cruise Control
8 air bags
Diesel Automatic
Plushest ride this side of 20 big ones.
Harman music system ( if that counts )

Cheers!
Srini
Yeah sure!! Somehow, I didn't consider Tata vehicles to be worthy contenders for any of my requirements till now. But I've been listening to a lot of positive reviews about the Hexa these days. Will pay a visit once to Hexa too. Thanks for the suggestion
Old 11th November 2017, 07:27   #134
BHPian

So, had a test drive of X1 and here are my observations.

What I didn't like:
- No Lumbar support
- No cruise control
- Stiff suspension - can feel the rough bits of the road
- Not that high off the ground. Felt almost like sitting in a hatchback

What I liked:
- One hell of a car to drive
- Creamy smooth engine with lot of punch & great fuel efficiency
- Very practical car in the city
- Sports mode turns this one into a different beast altogether

Filtered the entire Hyderabad market. Not even a single X1 (new shape). However, in that price, the dealers are showing used Q3s, 3 series and even X3s at that price of 25 lacs. Continuing my search.
Old 21st November 2017, 23:54   #135
BHPian

I'm looking at a car which meets the requirements -
1. Automatic (obviously)
2. Atleast moderately fun to drive
3. Will be used in Bangalore city and for weekly highway runs on a crowded highway.
4. FE not a concern due to low running
5. Should be able to seat an average sized adult in the rear, with a 6'2" driver.
6. Budget within 15L OTR Bangalore

I'm open to SUVs and sedans (incl used cars).

I'm presently considering the vento tsi , and the EcoSport AT. Any other suggestions?

Most Viewed