Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2017, 10:40   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Automatics between 10-17 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
Since the usage will be minimal - around 300 to 400 km a month, I would be retaining the car for at least 7 to 8 years if not more. We felt that the interiors weren't up to the mark in Ford Figo/Ecosport and ruled them out. I already have a Jazz In the family and I don't want another one. I am seriously considering either Creta automatic or Polo GT TSI.

Is a Creta petrol automatic worth buying over Polo GT TSI? I know they belong to different segments, but I can stretch my budget if Creta is a better buy from a long term perspective. Also, how easy is it to drive/park a Creta in real time city conditions for a lady driver?
If I am not mistaken, the Creta Petrol AT will cost ~15L OTR. With a usage of 300-400km a month, I feel it would be an overkill to spend so much-Especially if you are extending the budget for it.

The Creta will definitely be more reliable and should give a long term fuss free ownership report. But it is a reasonable big car. The Polo TSI will be fun to drive, is compact and cheaper. But since your need is a simple uncomplicated AT, the TSI also may not be the ideal choice.

Did you check out the Baleno CVT? Should meet your requirements.
Old 27th February 2017, 10:50   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
If I am not mistaken, the Creta Petrol AT will cost ~15L OTR. With a usage of 300-400km a month, I feel it would be an overkill to spend so much-Especially if you are extending the budget for it.

The Creta will definitely be more reliable and should give a long term fuss free ownership report. But it is a reasonable big car. The Polo TSI will be fun to drive, is compact and cheaper. But since your need is a simple uncomplicated AT, the TSI also may not be the ideal choice.

Did you check out the Baleno CVT? Should meet your requirements.
I am okay with paying an one time premium - as long as the car is reliable, easy to drive in the city and safe for highway usage. I don't have a very strict budget and I just want a really good compact car/crossover for the money I pay.

I had to rule out Baleno CVT for safety reasons. I guess its fully equipped Euro version has scored only a 3 star rating and Indian version with lesser safety equipment is going to be only poorer in terms of crash worthiness. Had it been a pure city use car, I would have opted for Baleno CVT eyes closed and I am not sure if it is a safe car for our unsafe highways.

Last edited by ece2k2 : 27th February 2017 at 10:54.
Old 2nd March 2017, 20:53   #78
BHPian

After taking a test drive of Creta Petrol AT, my wife decided to opt for Polo Tsi. Nothing wrong with Creta though - just that it looks a little big for city usage. Looks like there is nothing reliable in the market that is comparable to a Polo Tsi in terms of size, power, safety, handling, etc. It feels a little odd to buy a not so reliable car that is nearing its end of life just because we don't have an option
Old 11th April 2017, 21:17   #79
BHPian

Looks like the new car itch has started in me and my wife. More so because we are returning from the UK having made some moolah and my i20Sportz (P), which is being used by my dad now has recently turned 7. We feel it is the right time because the i20 will still command reasonably good resale; something that will considerably come down as the years add on.

My requirements are below (in the corresponding order of preference):

1) Safety: The more airbags, the better. Also we would like as many three letter safety aids as possible. (eg. ABS, TCS, ESP etc.).

2) We would ideally want to stick to around 12L OTR. But we wouldn't mind stretching a bit (say 15%) for the right car

3) Ideally has to be an automatic since my wife wants to take an active part in everyday driving. She does drive manuals, but she somehow feels the job of using the clutch and gears as well as concentrating on the traffic situation in Hyderabad (aka traffic-nightmare-a-bad) is a bit too much for her.

4) She used to drive my dad's G13B swift and her dad's Santro with fair bit of confidence. She somehow feels the i20 is too big and the seats too low. so the next car should be reasonably high placed, or atleast come with a drivers seat adjustment. Something my current i20 sorely misses. In her own words. She wants to see the far side of the Bonnet.

5) My i20 has really pampered me with its features. ACC, Electrically adjustable and retractable mirrors, steering reach and rake adjustment (yup, mine had it) and loads of interior and cargo space. So I would ideally like most of these features carried forward.

6) Reasonably powered. Something a bit more powerful than the current crop of 1.2's please.

7) Cruise control would be nice to have since we would drive frequently on the beautiful Hyderabad ORR. Also Hill hold assist is something we would like, if available.

8) Our usage in not much. We hardly would clock up 10k KMS a year. so while Petrol would suffice, we wouldn't mind good Diesel offerings as well.

9) Any body style would do. Sedans, Premium Hatch, Pseudo SUV, Pseudo hatch based UV. Anything.

The current car situation is India has improved very much. But with all the choices available, it has also become quite confusing.

Need all the advise I can get. I am not in a great hurry so I am also looking at upcoming launches and whether any of them would suit my above criteria.

Thanks in Advance.
Old 11th April 2017, 21:35   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
Looks like the new car itch has started in me and my wife. More so because we are returning from the UK having made some moolah and my i20Sportz (P), which is being used by my dad now has recently turned 7....
Polo GT TSI ticks all your boxes. Driver seat height adjustment Check, ABS TCS ESP Check, <12 OTR Check, 7 Speed DSG Automatic Check, Good visibility Check, 105 BHP 1.2 Turbo Engine Check, Cruise Control Check, Petrol and Hatchback Check.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 11th April 2017 at 21:41.
reignofchaos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 09:42   #81
BANNED

Vento, Rapid or Ciaz?

Automatic is a must. If I buy the Vento/Rapid it will likely be a diesel, Ciaz has only a petrol 4 speed auto anyway. How is the petrol Rapid/Vento with the DSG?

Just cant seem to find out the difference between the Vento HL plus and the HL. Is it only the DRLs and the camera?

Is there anywhere where the features of the Vento and the Rapid can be compared?

Budget around 15 lakhs, here and there should not be a problem.

Usage: Mainly self driving in the city only. Mostly by my wife.

Edit: The Rapid has a 6 speed auto, while the Vento has a 7 speed DSG. Is the 6 speed more reliable.

Last edited by kumar2007 : 12th April 2017 at 09:55.
Old 12th April 2017, 10:12   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar2007 View Post
Automatic is a must. If I buy the Vento/Rapid it will likely be a diesel, Ciaz has only a petrol 4 speed auto anyway. How is the petrol Rapid/Vento with the DSG?

Just cant seem to find out the difference between the Vento HL plus and the HL. Is it only the DRLs and the camera?

Is there anywhere where the features of the Vento and the Rapid can be compared?

Budget around 15 lakhs, here and there should not be a problem.

Usage: Mainly self driving in the city only. Mostly by my wife.

Edit: The Rapid has a 6 speed auto, while the Vento has a 7 speed DSG. Is the 6 speed more reliable.

The Rapid has a 6 speed old school box, mated to the 1.6 MPi Petrol Engine versus the 1.2 tsi with 7 speed dsg for the vento petrol AT.
The diesel variants have the exact same powertrain, 1.5TDi with a 7 speed DSG box.
kkkkkaran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 10:16   #83
BANNED

Re: Vento, Rapid or Ciaz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
The Rapid has a 6 speed old school box, mated to the 1.6 MPi Petrol Engine versus the 1.2 tsi with 7 speed dsg for the vento petrol AT.
The diesel variants have the exact same powertrain, 1.5TDi with a 7 speed DSG box.

Thanks, which would you recommend?

Any idea on these features? Do the Vento/Rapid have them?

1. Keyless entry
2. Folding rear seats
Old 12th April 2017, 10:30   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar2007 View Post
Thanks, which would you recommend?

Any idea on these features? Do the Vento/Rapid have them?

1. Keyless entry

2. Folding rear seats

As far as i know, neither of the features exist. The cars have always had a fixed rear bench.

Please take a test drive of both the vehicles, your other options and then take a call. Both the cars are very similar, and picking one is purely based on personal preference of aesthetics, brand/service and price point.
Check which brand offers better service in your city, and obviously, which product offers more bang for the buck while comparing features you need.
Old 12th April 2017, 10:55   #85
Senior - BHPian

Re: Vento, Rapid or Ciaz?

Whilst the Vento TSI is far superior to the Ciaz in terms of driving pleasure, it loses out on interior space and ride quality. I owned a Vento TSI till last month and always found the interiors cramped.

Moreover, if you care even a little bit about resale, avoid the Rapid or Vento like the plague. The used car market hates these cars and I found this out the hard way! The Ciaz would be a better financial bet.
Old 12th April 2017, 14:29   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Polo GT TSI ticks all your boxes. Driver seat height adjustment Check, ABS TCS ESP Check, <12 OTR Check, 7 Speed DSG Automatic Check, Good visibility Check, 105 BHP 1.2 Turbo Engine Check, Cruise Control Check, Petrol and Hatchback Check.
The back seat of the Polo is too cramped to my liking and something I definitely would not be comfortable with. Since a child seat is a permanent fixation in the rear seat, seating another 2 adults at the rear even occasionally will be a royal pain. With my i20 atleast, there was decent space left for 2 adults (read my parents) when they visit us occasionally.

How good is the Ecosport AT? And is there any likelihood of an Ecoboost AT launch in India?
Old 12th April 2017, 17:04   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like the new car itch has started in me and my wifel
Consider the following cars -
- Ford EcoSport AT
Has 6 airbags and a host of safety features, solid build and is great to drive. Interior space could be a concern though.

- Honda City CVT
Stress free 'city' commuter, great space and comfort. Top variant with 6 airbags may be slightly out of budget.

Last edited by Aaron:) : 12th April 2017 at 17:05.
Aaron:) is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 17:07   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The back seat of the Polo is too cramped to my liking and something I definitely would not be comfortable with. Since a child seat is a permanent fixation in the rear seat, seating another 2 adults at the rear even occasionally will be a royal pain. With my i20 atleast, there was decent space left for 2 adults (read my parents) when they visit us occasionally.

How good is the Ecosport AT? And is there any likelihood of an Ecoboost AT launch in India?
Get the Vento TSI in that case. It has much more leg room at the rear than the Polo.

Ecosport is cramped at the rear as well. It has less space than the Figo at the rear.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 20:13   #89

Starting college in July - Need a new (first) car

Hi all.

I going to start college in July and have to cover a distance of 80km every day (including return) with 60km of that being on the highway.

There is a 2014 Honda City VX CVT at home but it is already being used so another car is required, preferably of the same standards.

I am looking for an automatic for ease of use, even though a manual gearbox would be a better driving experience from the enthusiast stand point. That is why I would not mind having paddle shifters on this prospective car, just like the City VX CVT.

The budget is anywhere from 10-15 lakhs. Would be nicer if it were lower. The Ex-Showroom prices to use when giving a figurative cost is Noida's.

I am looking for a standard which matches the 2014 City VX or even better within this price range. Many of you may say to buy the 2017 City Facelift, but even though that is an option, I am trying to avoid having two mechanically identical cars at home. I will also be using this car for the next 5 years, for 6 days a week for almost 30 weeks a year so it seriously does need to be reliable!! Also, a lengthy warranty would be great in terms of time and distance.

Minimum requirements: 2 airbags, 15-16 inch alloys, 1.5L engine, decent sound system and infotainment system, relatively low maintenance costs with a reputation for reliability, cool features like push to start and Apple Carplay would be a nice addition.

What I had in mind:

- A Honda City ZX CVT but this would cost around 16 lakhs OTR Noida.
- Used Kizashi since it does check all the boxes but it is hard to find a well maintained one, which hasn't been driven that much.
- The new facelifted Ciaz but not enough details have come up yet to know much about the differences. The old one is known for having a clunky 4 speed auto and poor build so I don't feel so confident about that one.

I do have time until end of June to make a decision and until then, there may be new releases which are rumoured so I don't mind if you mention it, but there should be a level of certainty to its release before July.

Hoping to read some good suggestions!

Cheers.
Gmanliving is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 22:03   #90

A small edit: The vehicle also needs to be petrol as that is what I am restricted to. No diesel cars at home!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks