Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2017, 10:15   #91
BHPian

Re: Automatics between 10-17 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmanliving View Post
A small edit: The vehicle also needs to be petrol as that is what I am restricted to. No diesel cars at home!
You can consider the Vento TSI, falls perfectly in your budget.
You will get the best of performance and comfort (owing to the AT), the quality of materials used is very good inside out.
You will miss some of the fancy features like keyless entry, start-stop button, but the overall package is really good.

Also, if you are going to be driving this car alone most of the time, then even the Polo GT TSI is an amazing option, you will end up saving a couple of lakhs and still get the same performance and kit.

Hope this helps.
Mr.mitsuvolk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 18:34   #92
Senior - BHPian

A very informative thread, but guess it would be better if the following updates are inlcuded in the opening posts.

Renault Scala AT has been discontinued (https://www.renault.co.in/vehicles/p...fications.html)

Scorpio AT is no longer available (http://www.mahindrascorpio.com/index...specifications), although the absence may be short lived.

Honda City section should include the link to 2017 facelift (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...lose-look.html)

Hyundai Verna section should include the link to 2015 facelift (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...al-review.html)
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 10:01   #93
BHPian

Hello Folks,
Need your valuable suggestions.
We are in the hunt of a second car and we already have a Ciaz ZDi+ May 2017 model. Intend to use the second one for 3 ~ 4 years
The second one needs to be an Automatic, Sedan and a used one with a budget up-to 8 lakhs
On our hunt in recent one week the most available ones in Bangalore are
2009 ~ 2012 Cruze LTZ
2010 ~ 2012 Honda City V CVT
2010 ~ 2013 Hyundai Verna 1.6 pertol / diesel

Looks like it is the best time to buy used Cruze but then we are worried on maintenance, is it worth the risk? Will serviceability be a problem even if Mahindra takes over.

On City - we haven't used a petrol car in our family yet, what will be the real mileage in Bangalore considering the fact we need to travel close to 40 Kms a day in Outer Ring Road? No doubt on reliability here.

On Verna - Both me and wife didn't really like the way the Transmission behaved. But is has a good refined engine though.

Please suggest what to pick or should we consider something else as well?
Thank you in advance.
Cheers!
Old 26th September 2017, 16:03   #94
Senior - BHPian

Diesel automatic in 15-20 lakh budget

Primary reason - "Traffic in Bangalore"

There is this new Radio ad of Oyo rooms which tells us that book a room for the night if you are unable to return home from work !! kind of sums up the mess we live in

My current ride : Ertiga diesel 2013 make, close to 80K run and still feels as good as new.

I am more than satisfied with the car - the space, FE and compact size. The only reason why i am on the lookout is because of the pain i have operating the clutch.

Why am i posting in Sedan section ? Frankly i am not particular about sedans. I have a fixed budget around 15Lakhs(assuming i get good resale of my car). Since i havent driven much sedans, thought of giving a try.

Requirements:
1. Automatic - Obvious reasons.
2. Monthly usage - 2000-2500 kms. Daily usage of around 60kms + weekend drives. I cover 25000kms a year on an average.
3. Economical - Ertiga gives me around 14-15kmpl in Bangalore. 17-18 on highways. I am not sure if Petrol automatic gives good economy.
4. Seating - 2 people on weekdays, 2 kids + Parents(occasionally) on weekends
5. Bootspace - Bigger the better
6. Nigglefree - Pampered by the Maruti service. On road breakdown help in 10 mins.

Confusions:
1. One car vs two - I am the sole driver at home. So should I Keep Ertiga, buy small hatch(may be EV) for city runs so that my seating needs are met?
2. 5 vs 7 seats - Big confusion !!
3. Sedan vs SUV vs MPV - I am used to MPV, but the back seat passengers do complain on winding roads, I believe sedan will be comfortable. At the same time, ingress/egress for aged parents might be an issue with sedans.
4. Petrol vs Diesel AT - Purely based on economy.

Contenders
1. New hyundai Verna - Seating 4+2 kids might be an issue for long drives
2. Hyundai Creta - Found the boot to be small, rear seat is tight so 4 adults+2 kids will be an issue
3. Skoda rapid - Not very spacious in the rear, DSG !!
4. Duster AMT - Those interiors and AMT

With some stretch I should be able to consider
5. TATA Hexa - BIG for daily office runs !! also concerned about FE. Good to hear about improving TATA service though
6. Innova Crysta AT - same as above, too overpriced
7. XUV 500 - Same as above, is Mahindra service worse than TATAs ?

I could add Honda City to the list if petrol AT is justified. Most spacious among the sedans

Feel free to suggest any other options that i am missing in this big list !!
I guess what my heart wants is a miraculous transformation of my Ertiga into automatic.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 16:26   #95
Senior - BHPian

Re: Diesel automatic in 15-20 lakh budget

Looking at the requirements, the Creta is the most logical choice for you.
It has the most competent Diesel unit, paired to a reliable and clinical Automatic gearbox.

You could use your second row seats for luggage or you could get a roof rack mounted.
Old 26th September 2017, 16:41   #96
Senior - BHPian

I would say look at XUV AT, too. Very competent car. Not very big from Creta and for those occasional times when you need to haul 5+ pax, it comes in very handy. Excellent engine+AT combo. You might wanna check out Hexa, too.
Old 26th September 2017, 20:19   #97
BHPian

A friend is in same situation. Jeep turned out to be a negative experience. Plus no diesel automatic coming soon (though the SA claimed he has received 1000 bookings for diesel AT).

Creta CRDi AT is a logical choice, but!!, diesel AT is NOT available on top end trim SX(O) which does have some very important things like 2 additional airbags, ESP, hill start assist and VSM.

Verna is ruled out due to lack of rear space. Skoda Octavia goes beyond 20 which becomes out of budget.

Honda City also ruled out as he owns a previous gen City.

Hexa and XUV is too huge considering the current parking space in his building.
Dodge_Viper is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 20:35   #98
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys, I see some traction now. Really strange we don't have many AT options in this range.

To add some more twist, my kid added another requirement. A sun roof !!
Old 26th September 2017, 20:39   #99
BHPian

Keep the Ertiga and get the City ZX CVT. It's around 15 lacs and also has a sunroof!

I have suggested the petrol considering it can be used for city runs and the Ertiga can serve you for the long drives.

Last edited by avdhesh15 : 26th September 2017 at 20:43.
Old 26th September 2017, 20:51   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
A sun roof !!
With that addition, go for XUV period. Excellent engine plus AT. Far better after sales compared to TATA's.
Old 26th September 2017, 22:01   #101

Honda claims the AT to have almost same FE as MT. XUV AT also has a reasonable mileage for an SUV. Overall, if comfort is your priority for 6 passengers, go for XUV.

City won't be comfortable for long drives. I think the XUV checks all the boxes for your requirements.

Note from Support. Post edited for readability.
Old 26th September 2017, 23:34   #102
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

It is very difficult to find a replacement for something like the Ertiga. It is a proper 5+2 seater package in compact dimensions. If you want a proper 7-seater, unfortunately, you will have to consider moving to big vehicles like Crysta/Hexa/XUV. Instead, I would suggest these two options-

1. Sell your Ertiga and get the TUV300 AMT. The last row may not be very spacious but it can accommodate two kids. Most importantly the updated 100PS engine seems to have solved the issues related to the AMT. The drivability offered by the 3-pot engine is fantastic.

2. Keep the Ertiga and get a small hatchback for your office commute. If you are keen on a diesel then the Ignis AMT is a great choice. If fine by a petrol then you should consider the Baleno CVT.
Old 26th September 2017, 23:55   #103
BANNED

Quote:
My current ride : Ertiga diesel 2013 make, close to 80K run and still feels as good as new.
We both are in a similar situation.

Our Ertiga has done 63,000 in 3 years now. Will be changing the car soon and want a Diesel AT in 7 seater configuration.

I can only see Mahindra XUV 5OO W6 AT as a good VFM option. Worst case W8 AT if budget permits.

Looking at your needs, I recommend the XUV 5OO.
Old 27th September 2017, 00:20   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
It is very difficult to find a replacement for something like the Ertiga. It is a proper 5+2 seater package in compact dimensions. If you want a proper 7-seater, unfortunately, you will have to consider moving to big vehicles like Crysta/Hexa/XUV. Instead, I would suggest these two options-

1. Sell your Ertiga and get the TUV300 AMT. The last row may not be very spacious but it can accommodate two kids. Most importantly the updated 100PS engine seems to have solved the issues related to the AMT. The drivability offered by the 3-pot engine is fantastic.

2. Keep the Ertiga and get a small hatchback for your office commute. If you are keen on a diesel then the Ignis AMT is a great choice. If fine by a petrol then you should consider the Baleno CVT.

I would recommend option 2. I'm not a big fan of squeezing 6 people in a 5 seater. I'd recommend a seat belt for each person in the car.. esp on long drives. If long drives is when you're going to have 6 people in the car and an auto box isn't a must for those drives then I suggest you keep the ertiga and get a smaller car for your daily commute.

You might want to consider a smaller petrol automatic and save 6-8L upfront. Interest earned on that amount will more than make up for the fuel cost difference.

The baleno automatic could be an option. Good looking car and ticks all the right boxes. If you feel a little adventurous then get the Polo GT. Heck even the sub 4 meter sedans now have auto boxes. Consider the Dzire, Ameo, Amaze, Ford. All good cars that offer a decent family ride.
Old 27th September 2017, 00:49   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Confusions:
1. One car vs two - I am the sole driver at home. So should I Keep Ertiga, buy small hatch(may be EV) for city runs so that my seating needs are met?
2. 5 vs 7 seats - Big confusion !!
3. Sedan vs SUV vs MPV - I am used to MPV, but the back seat passengers do complain on winding roads, I believe sedan will be comfortable. At the same time, ingress/egress for aged parents might be an issue with sedans.
4. Petrol vs Diesel AT - Purely based on economy.
Firstly, I think you should retain the Ertiga, for highway, weekend runs. By pure economics, all other options are too expensive both in short and long term. Your Ertiga would likely fetch you around 3-3.5 lakhs. On top of it, you would have to spend almost 12-13 lakhs for the new car, very few of the good options readily fit in your budget. If you sell the cars a 3-4 years down the line, you won't be loosing much on depreciation either.

Next come the question, which car to add in your garage. Considering Ertiga is weekend drive, the new car to be driven on weekdays would be running 60km everyday, bring it to 1200 km a month. A number that can be justified with a petrol car thats reasonably efficient. The 7 seater cars also too big for city traffic usage, especially Bangalore where roads are narrow, the U-turns could quite tiring.

Now come the choices.

My top choice would be Ignis Petrol AMT. Its super efficient, compact and would be a joy to drive in the city. The tall boy seating is a bonus for city. The Zeta variant could be had for around 7 lakhs. Don't be bogged down by AMT badge, Maruti has constantly worked on refining it and it provides one of the best combination of mileage and convenience. The diesel is 1.1 lakhs extra and can also be considered for even more mileage. However you would recover the diesel variant cost in around 5-6 years.

Next choice would be Baleno CVT. One of the most well rounded cars under 10 lakhs, will have most of your bases covered. However don't see it as a good second car in a family already having Ertiga.

Final choice, just for driving pleasure would be Polo GT TSI. Extremely well built, with a wonderful engine and gearbox. Slightly expensive maintenance and new model which should launch next year compels to wait.

Cars I eliminated:
  • Hyundai i10 and i20. No AT in top end
  • Ford Figo/Aspire. DSG reliability is still a question.
  • Dzire AMT. Doesnt offer anything Ignis or Baleno don't offer in cheaper/better package.
  • Honda Brio/Jazz. Priced higher than competition, they simply don't seem worth it.
autorahul is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed