Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2017, 18:09   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Automatics between 10-17 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaqa View Post
6. Budget within 15L OTR Bangalore
Any other suggestions?
Why not consider the Jetta if you are open to used markets? You will get very good examples but maintenance might be a tad high. A fun car if you decide to drive on one of those and is very comfortable.

You can even look at Passat but might get some low models.
Old 7th December 2017, 16:53   #137
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaqa View Post
I'm looking at a car which meets the requirements -
1. Automatic (obviously)
2. Atleast moderately fun to drive
3. Will be used in Bangalore city and for weekly highway runs on a crowded highway.
4. FE not a concern due to low running
5. Should be able to seat an average sized adult in the rear, with a 6'2" driver.
6. Budget within 15L OTR Bangalore

I'm open to SUVs and sedans (incl used cars).

I'm presently considering the vento tsi , and the EcoSport AT. Any other suggestions?
1) EcoSport AT
2) Previous Gen Superb preowned
3) Current Gen Octavia (Pre facelift) preowned.
4) Previous Gen Accord V6 - Fun in a straight line. You may find it overall fun as well though it is a bit boat like so even the 2.4ltr version.
5) Preowned Jetta
6) BMW 3 series, C Class Merc, Audi A4. All would have to be a bit older to match the price point. Also may feel a bit tight in the rear.
7) Hexa AT - Slight stretch upward. But it would be new.
8) Creta AT - Slight Stretch upward.
9) XUV AT - Preowned
ACM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2018, 11:43   #138
Senior - BHPian

My friend is looking for a Petrol AT car in 10-12L price range. He can extend the budget by another 10%. I suggested to take a look at Ecosport (Petrol Titanium+ AT 13.6 L OTR) and New Verna (Petrol EX Auto 12.8 OTR). How does these compare each other (leaving SUV vs Sedan shape debate)?

Primary requirement/usage
Safety, rear seat comfort
Usage - 80:20 city:highway

Last edited by Latheesh : 17th January 2018 at 11:45.
Old 22nd January 2018, 22:45   #139

Honda City V CVT is a better Petrol AT option but comes with a higher price tag of 14 lakhs on road in Bangalore

Last edited by bblost : 22nd January 2018 at 23:01. Reason: Multiple typos/ extra words.
Old 12th March 2018, 00:23   #140
BHPian

Hi all,

I am in an intersection, i am not sure if I have to buy an automatic car.

My Punto 90hp is 4 yrs old and 60K kms done.

My left knee had taken a hit when I was obese, after that, I had got down my weight substantially, now my knee is better, but there's unexplainable discomfort when I tire my left leg in a not-right way, like use clutch for 2-3 hours a day in Bangalore's B2B traffic.

For 2.5 years car was doing fine, clutch was soft, my knee had no issues. Later that, clutch became hard, in last July car went for Service, clutch and other fluids were changed, from then, I am having clutch pedal being hard when car was on the move.

Fass tried to fix this many times, could say they did best, clutch push back is better now, but longer I use car, my left knee is causing me discomfort, like it burns inside the knee.

I have to take a decision now, my options..
1. Try changing clutch mc/sc, hope my luck works and clutch becomes stock and may hope the knee could be happy.
2. Buy a new AT, like Verna, Creta or Vento cousins (worried about ass exp), mostly under 15L.

Hope you guys put me in right direction. 🙏
Old 12th March 2018, 00:53   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Horses View Post
Hi all,

My left knee had taken a hit when I was obese, after that, I had got down my weight substantially, now my knee is better, but there's unexplainable discomfort when I tire my left leg in a not-right way, like use clutch for 2-3 hours a day in Bangalore's B2B traffic.

For 2.5 years car was doing fine, clutch was soft, my knee had no issues. Later that, clutch became hard, in last July car went for Service, clutch and other fluids were changed, from then, I am having clutch pedal being hard when car was on the move.

Fass tried to fix this many times, could say they did best, clutch push back is better now, but longer I use car, my left knee is causing me discomfort, like it burns inside the knee.

1. Try changing clutch mc/sc, hope my luck works and clutch becomes stock and may hope the knee could be happy.
2. Buy a new AT, like Verna, Creta or Vento cousins (worried about ass exp), mostly under 15L.

Hi sorry to hear about your knee pain.
Trying visiting another ASC or a FNG to get a second opinion.
Was the clutch Over haul done? At 60000km I assume it was done. If not a proper overhaul can get the Clutch to pristine condition.
But as I understand,even with a good clutch ,2 to 3 hours with a problematic knee can lead to further complications.
Your car has taken maximum depreciation hit in its first 4 yrs. Now as a make shift arrangement you can dispose it and buy an used Automatic.
If a new car was anyway on your mind Hyundai Verna is a good choice.
greendream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 15:28   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Horses View Post
Hi all,

Sorry to hear about your knee pain and, if you are driving 2-3 hrs in B2B traffic (whether or not one has a knee problem) an AT would be extremely helpful. I am assuming that you are looking for a diesel automatic, so Verna/Creta would be the models to consider, since I personally do not prefer AMTs. Although I have a DSG which has not given me any problems, the overall service level from the German car company dealers is not up to the mark.
AutoSphere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 13:56   #143
BHPian

Folks,

As suggested by Eddy, I am starting a new discussion in this existing thread.

I am looking for an upgrade to a fully loaded top end Petrol automatic car

My budget: ~15L(flexible),
My annual running: <10K (so, diesel is not logical. Being used to petrol, not sure I will like switching to Petrol). would be used for my daily commute to office. largely self driven
Priorities: Used to spirited driving, Excellent interiors & handling, good drive-ability in city(highway usage will be less), Exterior looks are important too ofcourse

After going thru the exhaustive list, my current shortlisted vehicles are(Petrol top end AT):
City, Verna, Creta Facelift AT(to be launched), Yaris(To be launched)

Yaris is on top of my preferred list now after looking at the amazing features for the top end variant VX. am not a big fan of SUV type but willing to consider it if I like it(hence Creta is in the list too).

By the way, although it is a huge budget stretch, I am also very much attracted to Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI, Jeep Compass(purely for the exterior looks, lacklustre engine/other constraints/lack of features are a big negative).

Have I missed any good cars here?

your feedbacks are much appreciated.
nitinhegde is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 14:19   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinhegde View Post
Folks,
As suggested by Eddy, I am starting a new discussion in this existing thread.
Verna if back seat comfort is not a deal-breaker. City if you can live with slightly more NVH levels and glossy interiors. Yaris should wait till the test drive and reviews pour in.

SUV style - Duster CVT- Interiors let you down. Creta - Expensive but stylish. Ecsport - Rear seat, bumpy ride
aadya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 14:59   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Priorities: Used to spirited driving, Excellent interiors & handling, good drive-ability in city(highway usage will be less), Exterior looks are important too ofcourse
Verna and Creta will fit here except for the spirited driving factor.

Quote:
Yaris is on top of my preferred list now after looking at the amazing features for the top end variant VX. am not a big fan of SUV type but willing to consider it if I like it(hence Creta is in the list too).

By the way, although it is a huge budget stretch, I am also very much attracted to Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI......
It will take a while for the Yaris reviews and reports to come out so if you could wait until then, that would be good. Curious to know, what do you drive currently? Can you keep your current ride and wait for Yaris reviews before purchasing the new car?

Since you are ready to stretch the budget, you might consider Elantra and Tucson as well. Higher segment, good street presence and also quality interiors.
sunilch is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 16:00   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Curious to know, what do you drive currently? Can you keep your current ride and wait for Yaris reviews before purchasing the new car?
I am driving an Ikon for last 12 years. 85K only on the Odo as I drive my wifes car too intermittently

Quote:
Since you are ready to stretch the budget, you might consider Elantra and Tucson as well. Higher segment, good street presence and also quality interiors.
with new Verna strikingly similar to Elantra(barring few features), I think Elantra may not be such a value for money. Tucson is expensive and again same comment as Elantra.

Quote:
Can you keep your current ride and wait for Yaris reviews before purchasing the new car?
yes I can as it's just a matter of 2-3 weeks to know more about Yaris. Reviews from autoexpo are very encouraging.

Last edited by nitinhegde : 13th April 2018 at 16:03.
Old 13th April 2018, 16:36   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

My budget: ~15L(flexible),
My annual running: <10K (so, diesel is not logical. Being used to petrol, not sure I will like switching to Petrol). would be used for my daily commute to office. largely self driven

Have I missed any good cars here?

As an ex-Fiesta / Ikon owner, just throwing out a couple of options for you to consider as none of the cars you've mentioned tick the spirited driving feel of your Ikon:

1) Vento / Rapid TSi - a little old in the tooth but the engine and gearbox is simply fantastic! Ride & Handling too is very mature with solid interiors. The only problem is the gearbox reliability - but that will be similar to the Octy 1.8TSi.

2) Polo GTi if you can find a new car. It isn't practical given it's a 2 door - but for daily driving in Pune it will be hard to find a better car. Some superb deals available, and a Zoomcar/uber is always available for a when you need boot space.

IMO, the Yaris will have neutral ride & handling, ability to take abuse on our roads without wincing, and decent performance (let down by the gearbox), and average quality interiors. This is judging by the Corolla & Etios that we own.
Creta will be fun undoubtedly with the crossover advantage, features, and smooth engines (though the S-Cross 1.6 would have been a better bet for a spirited driver). The Verna too will be similar to the Creta, with nicer interiors (IMHO) and better handling.

I'd pick the Yaris for the chauffeur driven, the Verna for the non-enthusiastic driving (it's improved but the petrol engine isn't really quick but the features and refinement will definitely impress), Creta if I drove over bad roads, and probably avoid the City (I expect it to rattle more than the Yaris, and crash over more potholes, with the CVT dulling the driving experience - it's a nice light city car that you can dart in and out of traffic - just not as much fun as a Vento / Rapid though).

If you're open to picking up two cars, look for a pre-owned S-Cross 1.6 for the highways + early mornings (lesser traffic so manual may be workable), & a new Figo AT for the city runs (auto convenience when you need it). It's honestly the most amount of fun I've had since the Fiesta went (in that price range).
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 16:27   #148
BHPian

What Automatic Car - Mumbai - 15 Lacs OTR?

Hi All,

I considered myself to be well aware of the options available in the market until today. Today, I am not able to decide what car to choose from

The reason: I have always believed in buying a used car for the VFM quotient that a good deal offers. My earlier rides have all been pre-worshiped. But suddenly, my company is now offering a lease deal and the tax benefits are actually quite good to ignore. So now I am thinking of buying a new one and not able to decide on "What Car?"

Hope fellow folks here will be able to guide me on my needs:

- Automatic: Mandatory. Daily running will be 75-80 Kms (all weekdays) with a 50:50 mix of B2B traffic and highways. Highways are not traffic free but there is a steady flow of traffic on those. Do not want AMT due to the jerky nature of those.

- Reliable: Will be the only car at home and used daily. Hence reliability is very important. Can't afford long stays at service stations and expensive service bills. So those DSG options from VW are out.

- Fuel: I am immaterial to the fuel but do not want CNG. Too long queues at CNG stations due to large number of taxis in Mumbai and can't afford to waste that much time. With 80Km per weekday (80*22 = 1760 KMs for weekdays) and occasional weekend rides (~200Km per month), total running per month is expected to be nearly 2000 Km. I guess diesel makes sense here but with narrow gap between the prices of petrol and diesel, it will take a long time for me to recover the difference of ~2L (average difference between petrol and diesel variants in this range I believe). Your opinion might help me here in choosing the right fuel/car.

- Safety: Important. With the conditions of our roads, the road rage that we all see and face and the importance of our life, safety is very important. Good safety features (2 Airbags min, ABS, Build Quality, etc) are hence important.

- Car Shape: Immaterial. But given the state of the roads in Mumbai and Thane, and my long daily commute - I would need a comfortable ride. So a proper sedan or the pseudo SUVs would be better choice I guess. I am open to a good hatchback as well, if it ticks all the boxes.

- Budget: Strictly under 15L OTR Mumbai/Thane. No flexibility here.

- Driving Pleasure and In-car Features: Should not be boring to drive. I would want a pure Fun-To-Drive car but that I know is impossible in this budget. In-car features are not very important to me so don't need an exhaustive list. My car driving history will indicate the same below.

- My driving history: Zen (before the Estilo disaster), Ritz (the best hatchback) and Honda City (my current ride, 3rd Gen). Loved all of those cars. Not extensive on feature list but each one was/is a great car. Zen was very FTD, Ritz was very practical car with good seating position and a good engine perfect for the dimensions and the weight of the car. Honda City is a great car for long drives and has a proven NA petrol engine. It is manual and hence I am looking to replace.

- Time to buy: By Jan/Feb 2019. So that I can get some good discounts on 2018 year models.

Cars considered so far:

Swift/Dzire/Breeza/I20 ATs: All ruled out as these are either AMT or boring to drive

Polo GT TSI/Ameo: Scared of the VW group for their service bills and dealership issues.

Amaze V AT (i-DTEC): Do not like the looks of it. Otherwise it is a decent fit for the criteria.

Ertiga VXI AT: In consideration. Will be boring to drive I know but still in list due to the Space and utility it offers.

Nexon XZA Diesel: In consideration but have limited feedback from folks around and it is an AMT, hence worried. Anyone who has it or has driven it can help please.

EcoSport Titanium+ AT: In consideration and one of my three favorites. But is Petrol a wise decision, given by running?

Verna Diesel AT: In consideration and second of my three favorites. Issues would be the GC on these pathetic Mumbai roads and the crammed interior.

Honda City Petrol CVT: In consideration but worried about the deteriorating build quality recently and the Mumbai roads. Love the engine and the gearbox combo though.

Creta AT: The third of my three favorites. But in Petrol the very low FE worries me. 1.6 Diesel AT is not in budget. 1.4 Diesel has no AT and is too basic.

So I need help in deciding between EcoSport, Verna, City and Creta.

Creta - Is it worth to consider the Creta S 1.4? I will miss the AT gearbox in it and a lot of features. But what I will get is a Diesel Creta with a good mileage. I like the Creta for what it offers - Good Seating and a ride on these broken Mumbai roads.

EcoSport - I wish it came with a Diesel Automatic. Worth buying a petrol AT? I don't care if it is considered as a downgrade from my current ride - Honda City.

City/Verna - GC issues and ride quality issues on Mumbai roads and the recent build quality issues with City. Is that worth?

Wild Card: If I do compromise on the AT (very unlikely but still) like in case of Creta, then shall I also consider the Marazzo?. That, on paper, seems to be a good option. I hope by the time I will make a purchase, ownership reviews will be out on T-BHP. But then skipping AT requirement will also confuse me a lot. There are many other options too.

I am 6'2" tall and have a good build and hence a good seat is important. The car will be driven by me 90% of the time and for more than 70% of the time it will have only 2 adult passengers and one kid in it.

Last edited by sunilch : 6th October 2018 at 16:38.
sunilch is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 17:00   #149
Senior - BHPian

Ecosport AT any day from your top three. The trade off for better ground clearance will be a Petrol motor.

The Verna has a fantastic diesel engine and a decent torque converter and probably better on your pocket.

Considering your daily run of 80km and seldom use of the rear seats(the Verna rear is very low) I would actually recommend the Verna diesel AT. The GC is not as bad and should be ok on our potholed roads.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 17:44   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: What Automatic Car - Mumbai - 15 Lacs OTR?

I think you will be limited to Hyundai diesel AT cars. Other companies hardly have any decent reliable diesel AT options in this budget. You said you are open to petrol AT but as the cars get more comfortable (ready heavy), the fuel economy will surely matter for 2000KM monthly usage.

Don't buy MT, just too much hassle in our traffic.

Creta high prices are purely because of Hyundai cashing in on our new found SUV love. If you have managed with Honda City (gold standard in low GC), you can certainly manage with Verna.
androdev is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed