Team-BHP - Automatics between 10-17 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   What Car? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-car/)
-   -   Automatics between 10-17 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-car/168164-automatics-between-10-17-lakh-otr-comprehensive-guide.html)

This is a follow up to my earlier thread on Automatics under 10L OTR

Why 17L OTR and not 15L OTR.

Without further delay, below is the summary list.

Automatics between 10-17 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide-atcomparosummary15_newlakhs.jpg

Key Observations

Next, a look at the feature list. Some items that were not clear from the brochure has been left blank.

Automatics between 10-17 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide-csegment_atfeature1.jpg

Automatics between 10-17 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide-csegment_atfeature2.jpg

Looking at this feature list, one observation really stands out. There are very few features unique to the C Segment. Most of the features have trickled down to the Compact Sedan and Premium Hatch segments and even lower. So why does one need to get into this segment for an Automatic Transmission car?

An AT buyer in the <10 Lakh segment is more often than not, looking for a City specific car and/or a 2nd car. But in this segment, more often than not, it is expected to be the primary car. With this in mind, what are the key differentiaters that would attract buyers to this segment.

Features unique to the segment-Unfortunately not many.

A deep dive into the various options with relevant links and observations

Maruti Ciaz

Automatics between 10-17 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide-maruticiaz01.jpg

Automatics between 10-17 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide-ciaz-atlever.jpg

Team-Bhp Official Review

Ownership Reviews

Other observations/Feedback
What would be good to see

Mahindra TUV300

Automatics between 10-17 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide-tuv300_gallerywallpapers_02.jpg

Automatics between 10-17 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide-tuvgear.jpg

Team-Bhp Official Review

Ownership Reviews

Renault Scala/Nissan Sunny

Automatics between 10-17 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide-renaultscalacvt01.jpg Automatics between 10-17 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide-sunny.jpg

Automatics between 10-17 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide-renaultscalacvtgear.jpg

Team-Bhp Official Review

Ownership Reviews

Ford Ecosport

Automatics between 10-17 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide-ecosport.jpg

Automatics between 10-17 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide-ecosportgear.jpg

Team-Bhp Official Review

Ownership Reviews

Skoda Rapid

Automatics between 10-17 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide-skodarapiddsg01.jpg

Petrol AT Gear (TC)

Automatics between 10-17 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide-rapidpetrolgear.jpg

Diesel AT Gear(DSG)

Automatics between 10-17 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide-skodagear.jpg

Team-Bhp Official Review

Ownership Reviews

Volkswagen Vento

Automatics between 10-17 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide-2015vwvento01.jpg

Petrol and Diesel Gear (DSG)

Automatics between 10-17 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide-vwpolotsi11gear.jpg

Team-Bhp Official Review

Ownership Reviews

What would be good to see (Vento and Rapid)

Honda City

Automatics between 10-17 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide-newhondacity01.jpg

Automatics between 10-17 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide-newhondacitygear.jpg

Automatics between 10-17 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide-newhondacitypaddles.jpg

Team-Bhp Official Review

Ownership Reviews

What would be good to see.

Hyundai Verna 4S

Automatics between 10-17 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide-hyundaiverna4s2.jpg

Automatics between 10-17 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide-hyundaivernagear.jpg

Team-Bhp Official Review

Ownership Reviews

Hyundai Creta

Automatics between 10-17 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide-hyundaicreta01.jpg

Automatics between 10-17 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide-hyundaicretagear.jpg

Team-Bhp Official Review

Ownership Reviews

What would be good to see.

Mahindra Scorpio

Automatics between 10-17 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide-scorpio.jpg

Automatics between 10-17 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide-scorpiogear.jpg

Team-Bhp Official Review

Ownership Reviews

To Summarize.

Other Helpful Links

Postscript:

Automatics between 10-17 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide-atcomparosummary_30l.jpg

Thank you for reading. Hope that this compilation will help prospective buyers decide on the car that best suits their needs.

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!

Mighty thanks Rajeev, that's one heck of a detailed compilation. Definitely sorts major worries out mate. I'm itching to lay hands on one of the DSG equipped cars but the reliability and iffy VW A.S.S keeps me away. Wondering when will Toyota jump in the fray!

Cheers! :)

A real informative thread for those looking for automatics. Thanks.:)

May I just add one other owner review thread link for the Ecosport AT.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...rs-review.html

Superb effort Rajeev. All required information in a single thread!

Call it wishful thinking, but what I would like to see is an S Cross automatic - that should be a good package with Maruti brand as backup :)

Excellent information, thanks for sharing. Have not realized that Scorpio AT was this costly. They might be setting themselves for failure at that price point. Would love to see Ciaz with 1.6DDIS motor and a more advanced gear box. Old 4 speed AT or AMT will not cut it any longer especially with all the new models being launched.

Rated the thread much deserved 5 stars. These 2 threads will serve as a bible to anyone in the market for AT.

Thanks and very interesting. But I get a feeling that this space of 10-15 lacs for AT is a question of compromise and there is no clear winner. If only Ciaz had 5 speed AT it would have taken lot of sales I believe. Honda is very pricey with CVT not very helpful. VW and Skoda are slightly pricey but have DSG which unfortunately still have issues. Hyundai also only 4 gears and pricey. So overall, which offers the least compromise?? I am not sure...

^^ Creta with its 6 Speed AT ?

Super thread. I'm now hoping and looking forward to another A/T thread relating to the 18 - 30 lakh price range.

Very informative thread. It was a disappointment that nobody has yet tried the Scorpio AT. Looking forward to the review/road test of the Scoprio AT 4x4. I am looking to pick one up real soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilful (Post 3806284)
A real informative thread for those looking for automatics. Thanks.:)

May I just add one other owner review thread link for the Ecosport AT.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...rs-review.html

Thank you. Thanks for adding the link. I had remembered seeing more than one ownership report, but was unable to find it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaluJ (Post 3806637)
Superb effort Rajeev. All required information in a single thread!

Call it wishful thinking, but what I would like to see is an S Cross automatic - that should be a good package with Maruti brand as backup :)

Thanks. Yes, it is surprising that S Cross did not come with an AT option. I think Maruti may be confused on which AT box to use, they cannot put a 4 speed AT in what is their premium car. The Baleno premium hatch is expected with an AT. So I don't expect an AT in the S Cross anytime soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by getsriram (Post 3807141)
Thanks and very interesting. But I get a feeling that this space of 10-15 lacs for AT is a question of compromise and there is no clear winner. If only Ciaz had 5 speed AT it would have taken lot of sales I believe. Honda is very pricey with CVT not very helpful. VW and Skoda are slightly pricey but have DSG which unfortunately still have issues. Hyundai also only 4 gears and pricey. So overall, which offers the least compromise?? I am not sure...

Yes, that is a fair statement. But I guess there is no perfect car. Every car has some compromises. The good thing is that there are different choices depending on what people want to prioritize. For me personally, AT performance was the key requirement. So the Vento TSI was a no brainer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUXX (Post 3807732)
^^ Creta with its 6 Speed AT ?

Creta AT is quite overpriced for what it offers. But good in several other aspects. Again a matter of what is important.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axe77 (Post 3807831)
Super thread. I'm now hoping and looking forward to another A/T thread relating to the 18 - 30 lakh price range.

I have a summary my last post. Interestingly, that segment seems to be the most unexciting (apart from 2-3 cars) from an AT point of view. Most of the Cars and all the SUV's have big engines and numbers,but use pretty regular AT boxes.Especially true for the SUV's.