Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2015, 17:06   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Replacement for my Getz CRDi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post

My Getz is a 110 bhp diesel which runs on box at 130 bhp.

Guess, your Rapid must be a 1.6.
The 1.5 isn't the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post

If I was in the market for a car with a 12L budget today, the S-Cross would be right on top of my list.

The second option could be the Polo GT TDI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
If you are still going ahead with a diesel then there is only one car I would recommend that is currently within your budget( stretched) - [b]S Cross DDiS320.
Hey kpzen, I think I agree with S2!!! and volkman10 here buddy.

I have owned a Getz myself for over 4 years albeit the 1.3l Petrol!! This is not even in the league of the 1.5 CRDI's performance, but the rest of the aspects were very similar. The space, build quality, ground clearance, practicality, etc were same, irrespective of the engine specs.

I have driven the 1.5 CRDI Getz in OEM avatar and it is scary to say the least, considering it does not even offer any safety kit as an option

As you don't need another Ford at home, there are only 2 other diesel cars with performance as USP:

1. Polo 1.5 GT TDI - You are right kpzen and this has lost the charm/aggression of the 1.6 TDI. Though on paper they are inseparable, the real world performance is 'World's Apart'. Additionally, if you are looking at rear bench space & boot space, this is not the car for you. Expensive after sales and skeletal network is the final nail.

2. S-Cross DDIS 320 - When I first drove Getz, I was floored by the acceleration. The reason I picked by the 1.6 GT TDI is because this car gave me the exact feel when I TD it. Hands down, the DDIS 320 from S-Cross has even better feel if not the same as my GT. The build quality, space, features, safety, etc, you name it and this 'Maruti' has it all. This car just about offers everything that you need and then some.

With some serious discounts on hand for the S-Cross, IMO there is no other car that can tick your requirements in the market today.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 14th December 2015 at 17:08.
Old 14th December 2015, 23:16   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
KP, some of the options don't make sense. I mean a S-cross 1.3 after the Pete'd Getz is just too much of a downgrade.

My 1st choice is the S-cross 1.6, irrespective of variant you choose. Since it has safety covered, you don't have to worry about other features missing since you are already in a bare bones Getz. It's going to be more than the Getz for sure.

2nd choice will be the Chevy Cruze LT. Old but still a stonker in the engine department. It should be around 15-16 but I'm sure they have very deep discounts running.

3rd will be the Polo GT TDI as it's the only one that can come close to your older Getz.

I would have asked you to look at the Aspire or the Figo TDCI but you already have a Figo and I can guarantee you will be disappointed with the new Figo's dynamics vs the old one. The engine will blow you away but the dynamics are very un Ford like.
Thanks Viddy.

Scross 1.6 seems to be the best replacement for Getz. Both sleeper cars.

Will check out the Duster AWD once.

Cruze is out of budget, even with discounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
If not in a hurry, wait for Vitara Brezza! The front looks masculine. Hope it gets 1.6/ 1.5 (some rumors).
Bumped into a camouflaged Brezza today, it didn't have a presence like an ecosport or duster.
It is not getting the 1.6, I'm told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Getz yes. But he has been driving a re-mapped Figo too. How does this compare against it. I thought he was planning to give away Figo as well?
Figo would stay.
Remapped Figo is pretty quick till about 80kph and handles like a go kart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Why don't you do another thing? Wait for a month, maybe 45 days. You're not wrapping up 10k km by then, no?

Let this diesel ban and odd/even drama pan out. It is completely uncertain as of now, and has the potential to completely upend your new car buying plans. UNLESS you get a SCross/Duster etc which can be delivered within December (and avoids this uncertainty).
I don't mind waiting but would the tempting discounts stay till Jan ~ Feb 2016 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
If you are still going ahead with a diesel then there is only one car I would recommend that is currently within your budget( stretched) - S Cross DDiS320.

Here is the current prices that is ongoing , quoting from the S Cross thread.
Thanks Volkman

Could you please share the dealer detail ?
I'm not getting this offer here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post

1. Polo 1.5 GT TDI - You are right kpzen and this has lost the charm/aggression of the 1.6 TDI. Though on paper they are inseparable, the real world performance is 'World's Apart'. Additionally, if you are looking at rear bench space & boot space, this is not the car for you. Expensive after sales and skeletal network is the final nail.

2. S-Cross DDIS 320 - When I first drove Getz, I was floored by the acceleration. The reason I picked by the 1.6 GT TDI is because this car gave me the exact feel when I TD it. Hands down, the DDIS 320 from S-Cross has even better feel if not the same as my GT. The build quality, space, features, safety, etc, you name it and this 'Maruti' has it all. This car just about offers everything that you need and then some.

With some serious discounts on hand for the S-Cross, IMO there is no other car that can tick your requirements in the market today.
Thanks Vik,
Valuable feedback !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
2. S Cross 1.3+Remap:
Here's what sudeepg says: (link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3846239)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
How about the 1.3 S-Cross remapped? He brings down his budget as well and at the same time gets a well built and well specce'd Maruti?
To my knowledge, 90BHP tune from the 1.3 DDIS is the max to have a good balance between performance and reliability.
Anything more, demands extreme pampering else reliability goes for a toss in the long term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I will say wait and watch right now. All this diesel ban and stupid rules need to be out before you make your purchase. My suggestion is don't buy the new car till Feb when it will be clear if diesel ban will stay or the fate of odd/even rule. In the meanwhile use your Figo for 80km per day usage and Getz for city use considering the weak clutch.
Running Getz till Feb is not an issue.
But, would the discounts last till Feb ?
Anyways, I hope Kejriwal doesn't play spoilsport.

Last edited by kpzen : 14th December 2015 at 23:29.
Old 14th December 2015, 23:26   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I don't mind waiting but would the tempting discounts stay till Jan ~ Feb 2016 ?
Definitely.
a. You'll get as much discount for a 2015 manufactured car, if not more.
b. Cost / hassle of changing decision post some silly govt rule >>>> Some additional 30-40k of additional discount you are getting today (most generous estimate IMHO).
Old 14th December 2015, 23:37   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Definitely.
a. You'll get as much discount for a 2015 manufactured car, if not more.
b. Cost / hassle of changing decision post some silly govt rule >>>> Some additional 30-40k of additional discount you are getting today (most generous estimate IMHO).
Hitanshu

a) Scross 1.6 version has very limited production. So I need to be extremely lucky to find a 2015 car in Feb.

b) New Year price increase would be implemented (may not be for a 2015 car though) and i feel if the diesel ban doesn't happen they might increase the road tax on diesel car. Its a blind anti diesel drive.
kpzen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 06:04   #35
BANNED

kpzen -

I might sound blunt in certain of my statements but the inferences are drawn from the needs that you have listed.

So my hunch says -

1) You are looking at something that is less than a million.
2) You want sheer power with VFM offering.
3) As this is posted in What Car section and not 'Sedans' or 'Hatchbacks', you are open to both.

Keeping the above in mind, here are my preferences (pros and cons), with the best suited option coming up first -

1) Figo/Aspire -

i) If ABS is not mandated, the Trend would be 6.5 OTR, this is what you would have paid for the Getz in 2008, it has Airbags, Steering Mounted Controls and a host of other features which the Getz does not have. The point that I'm trying to nail is, in 2016 you are getting a 2008 priced car with the same power to weight and torque to weight ratios and added features. Getz was 1137 Kgs, 235 Nm and 110 PS (not BHP). A 2008 Swift Vxi was 4.5 OTR now it retails at 6 L odd, price have shot up over the years, but here over a gap of 8 years, you get a similar speced car with added features. It is sheer VFM.

ii) Coming to where you have stated that the built is not of the older Figo lineage, a 2000 Alto was better built than a 2015 Baleno. To keep the prices competitive, manufacturers have to cut the corners, lest they wanna run out of business. If you want ABS, Titanium with discounts is up for grabs at 7.4 OTR odd. To add to it, you have stated that the service on the Figo is cheaper than a Maruti.

iii) On the distance to service center, if you travel 80 Kms a day, 80 kms over a 6 month period on what you love should be HELL YESS, I wanna get it done in front of my eyes.

iv) On the narrow seats, you cannot get a 5 BHK for the price of 1, space, power, VFM all in one sounds good to the ears, does not look nice to the pocket.

v) You get 15+ KMPL.

2) Used - If you are open to - Pre Worshiped Polo 1.6 GT TDi

i) Looks
ii) 250 Nm
iii) Build, Handling, Features over Getz

3) Used - If you are open to - Pre Worshiped Chevrolet Cruze LT

i) Let us not think about obsolete models, Getz was obsolete in 2009.
ii) It overcomes the issue of narrow seats.
iii) A minimum of 327 Nm
iv) Might be less fuel efficient.

4) Used - If you are open to - Pre Worshiped TL/CL Jetta

i) Will give more luxury over Getz and 320 Nm
ii) Might be less fuel efficient.

5) SCross 1.6 Alpha @ 12L odd OTR.

Before I shall close, my personal request to you, let us not Demean or Loathe TATA, none of their models have been discontinued in less than a span of 5 years.

Agreed they have quality issues but till date they are true to the Indica tagline - "More Car per Car", right from Vista, Sumo, Safari and let us not miss the design that they had brought home in 95, the Sierra.

Happy Hunting.

Last edited by Torquedo : 16th December 2015 at 06:22.
Old 16th December 2015, 08:58   #36
BHPian

Quote:

Etios triplets is my suggestion purely for the space and VFM (maintenance cost et al considered).

How about adding a poll. That way we can see which way the majority sways

P.S.: All the best. This one's going to be one confusing thread for sure...

Last edited by vinjosep : 16th December 2015 at 09:01.
Old 17th December 2015, 11:44   #37
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Torquedo for the long post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
kpzen -

I might sound blunt in certain of my statements but the inferences are drawn from the needs that you have listed.
Bring it on, No problem!

Quote:
1) Figo/Aspire -

i) If ABS is not mandated, the Trend would be 6.5 OTR, this is what you would have paid for the Getz in 2008, it has Airbags, Steering Mounted Controls and a host of other features which the Getz does not have. The point that I'm trying to nail is, in 2016 you are getting a 2008 priced car with the same power to weight and torque to weight ratios and added features. Getz was 1137 Kgs, 235 Nm and 110 PS (not BHP). A 2008 Swift Vxi was 4.5 OTR now it retails at 6 L odd, price have shot up over the years, but here over a gap of 8 years, you get a similar speced car with added features. It is sheer VFM.
Theoretically spot on but practically it is a little different.
Been there Done that !

Firstly, I totally believe " They don't make cars as they used to "

2008 - Getz OTR - 5.8 lacs
2012- Figo OTR - 6.5 lacs

On paper, if both cars are compared, Figo has many features which Getz does not have.
However, in real experience feel is the opposite, we (whole family) finds Getz to be superior.
Many nifty features are missing which are never listed in a catalogue.
May be minor things on paper but gives a good feel in real time.
One such example, the door closure mechanism of Getz is butter smooth (still) whereas Figo is hard and inconsistent, got the door locks changed twice under warranty still the issue persists.
There are many such things which add to the feel, everything is not on paper.
So, I'm not going to follow the same calculation again.

However, Asprire is fantastic car. It still could be the Getz replacement.

Quote:
ii) Coming to where you have stated that the built is not of the older Figo lineage, a 2000 Alto was better built than a 2015 Baleno. To keep the prices competitive, manufacturers have to cut the corners, lest they wanna run out of business. If you want ABS, Titanium with discounts is up for grabs at 7.4 OTR odd. To add to it, you have stated that the service on the Figo is cheaper than a Maruti.
Correct.
I'm from the manufacturing industry and we face the Value engineering/ Cost cutting challenges on day to day basis.
But, as a buyer I need to evaluate the cost cutting areas that are acceptable to me.
Quote:
iii) On the distance to service center, if you travel 80 Kms a day, 80 kms over a 6 month period on what you love should be HELL YESS, I wanna get it done in front of my eyes.
Servicing at 10k kms can be managed, Figo is also managed the same way.

One fine morning, if your car doesn't start or say the engine is heating up. What do you do ? Service center is 40kms away with no pick up service.

My job involves travelling and if such things happen, I don't want to invite trouble to parents.

Hope you understand.

Quote:
iv) On the narrow seats, you cannot get a 5 BHK for the price of 1, space, power, VFM all in one sounds good to the ears, does not look nice to the pocket.
I never demanded seats 5 times its current size.
But, a car that causes back pain to me and passengers on long journeys cannot be appreciated.

Quote:
2) Used - If you are open to - Pre Worshiped Polo 1.6 GT TDi

i) Looks
ii) 250 Nm
iii) Build, Handling, Features over Getz
Could find only one here and it was an accidental case. Backed out.

Quote:
3) Used - If you are open to - Pre Worshiped Chevrolet Cruze LT

i) Let us not think about obsolete models, Getz was obsolete in 2009.
ii) It overcomes the issue of narrow seats.
iii) A minimum of 327 Nm
iv) Might be less fuel efficient.

4) Used - If you are open to - Pre Worshiped TL/CL Jetta

i) Will give more luxury over Getz and 320 Nm
ii) Might be less fuel efficient.
Great cars.
But the anti pollution rules being proposed seem to be against them.
Old 30th December 2015, 20:13   #38
Senior - BHPian

KP sir, any updates?
I thought the choices were limited and it you (almost) made up your mind on the S-Cross?
Awaiting the good news.
Old 26th January 2016, 12:04   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

With the revised prices, I guess S-Cross 1.6 makes a stronger case for itself now. Have you cut the cheque yet?
Old 27th January 2016, 22:32   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
KP sir, any updates?
I thought the choices were limited and it you (almost) made up your mind on the S-Cross?
Awaiting the good news.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
With the revised prices, I guess S-Cross 1.6 makes a stronger case for itself now. Have you cut the cheque yet?
SCROSS it is.
It has brought home 2 days back.

Thanks guys for all the advise.
kpzen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 22:36   #41
BANNED

Quote:
SCROSS it is.
It has brought home 2 days back.
Hearty Congratulations on getting the S-Cross.

If I remember reading correctly, you had booked two of them, Right?!
Old 28th January 2016, 11:12   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Hearty Congratulations on getting the S-Cross.

If I remember reading correctly, you had booked two of them, Right?!
" What goes around, comes back around "

We booked two cars, then we cancelled as we couldn't manage the transaction in short time. (within Dec)
Nexa called up in Jan asking if I'm still considering to buy it.
Nice surprise from the sales man.

In the end, got one instead of two.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks