Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2017, 20:22   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars

First and simplest question to ask is how much it would cost to restore the Swift. I don't mean a coat of paint and such - issues that affect drivability / safety such as engine, brakes, tyres and interior comfort (aircon gas topup / cleaning, clean interiors etc).

And then what it costs to similarly patch / fix the Fluence if necessary.

Sell the nano by all means, and use it for repair and patch up costs as needed, invest the remainder.

Give your mother either the Swift or the Fluence depending on her preference (and depending on how easy it is to use the Fluence - much larger car - near her house if narrow roads or high traffic, tight parking etc).

Sell the other car. Again, invest the remainder.

If you are onsite for three years whatever car it is will go to rack and ruin if it lies unused.
hserus is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 15:39   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
First and simplest question to ask is how much it would cost to restore the Swift. I don't mean a coat of paint and such - issues that affect drivability / safety such as engine, brakes, tyres and interior comfort (aircon gas topup / cleaning, clean interiors etc).
If you are onsite for three years whatever car it is will go to rack and ruin if it lies unused.
As I mentioned, Fluence is not a part of this present equation. The car is in sublime condition and I might hand it over to a relative when I travel. The dilemma is between the Swift and the Nano. I'm visiting multiple workshops over the weekend to get a feeler on how much it would cost me to entirely restore the swift.
Old 26th July 2017, 17:27   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSM_TorqueZoner View Post
4) Sell the Nano, invest that money plus some extra in restoring the Swift back to glory - Cosmetically, Mechanically and Electrically.
Always buy a new car if money isn't an issue. However, if you would like to get maximum bang for your buck then option 4 makes most sense!

Restoring an existing car where you know the problems first hand would be highly recommended.

This would also avoid another post 3 years down the line where you wish to sell your 'now 3 year old car' with a new one because it wasn't taken care of too well or something else.

Please note that since you'd leave your Swift with your mom, restoration would also mean a proper preventive maintenance being done so that she doesn't have to send the car for any major repair while you're away. Anything extra you spend on preventive maintenance would be totally worth it.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 17:29   #169
Senior - BHPian

Is your mother comfortable driving the Swift at the first place?

Yes? Restore the Swift, hand the keys to your mom. And drive whenever you visit on a vacation. Note that, it may not be in the same condition years down. You might still be faced with a dillema then about its fate.

No? Leave your emotions aside and sell it off. Infact sell both the Nano and Swift and get what your mom wants.

I had sold my first car in a similar scenario, it was painful to see it lying around forgotten. It'll be in a much better off state with a new owner, atleast you won't see it in such state to get depressed.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 19:00   #170
Senior - BHPian

If you give the Fluence to your mother or to a relative, and if they aren't a very good driver themselves, or they employ a driver who has the usual cabbie habits such as riding on the clutch, you can kiss the car goodbye in the three years you are away.

You know that thing the Bhagwad Gita preaches about giving up attachments? Now is the time for you Keep one car - either swift or fluence, sell the rest or give them away.

Comfort yourself with the thought that by the time you come back from onsite you'll be substantially well to do so you can buy a better new car once you're back.
hserus is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 12:09   #171
BHPian

Thank you fine69, narayans80 and hserus for all your inputs! I'm definitely more inclined towards resorting the swift, let me first wrap up workshop hopping and hope to make a pragmatic call.

Hserus - I totally agree with your comments, just that letting go an excellent car in sublime condition and which is again a resale disaster is what hurts! No way my mom can drive the Fluence, the idea was to hand it over to a relative just for upkeep - not regular use. Do you still suggest I sell it?
Old 27th July 2017, 12:11   #172
Senior - BHPian

See - your relative can either leave the car parked and let it rot, or he can use it and maintain it.

If you're confident your relative is a good driver and will take care of the vehicle sure hand it over to him and let him use it. Once you're back and the car is 6 years old you can take it back and continue to use it, or you can leave it with him and buy a new one as per the situation and your requirements.

Quote:
Thank you fine69, narayans80 and hserus for all your inputs! I'm definitely more inclined towards resorting the swift, let me first wrap up workshop hopping and hope to make pragmatic call.

Hserus - I totally agree with your comments, just that letting go an excellent car in sublime condition and which is again a resale disaster is what hurts! No way my mom can drive the Fluence, the idea was to hand it over to a relative just for upkeep - not regular use. Do you still suggest I sell it?
Old 27th July 2017, 14:23   #173
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1) Exchange Nano for a new Nano AMT (getting a year back model for under 3 lacs), retain the swift.
2) Sell the Nano and the Swift, get a new Nano
3) Sell the Nano and the Swift, get a K10/Kwid/RediGo

I'm going a bit beyond the brief here but this is what I would suggest.

Sell all three cars and buy her a new compact car that she's comfortable driving.

1. A modern car with current safety standards is a better bet for your mom than a patch up job on a much older car. However comprehensive that patch up might be it's still building on a 10 year old product.

2. A fluence will have poor enough market today. Add 3 years of unpredictable usage and maintenance and it's not even worth coming back to for you.

3. 3 years is a long time - you never know whether you may even return at that point. May as well cash out on the fluence now and see whatever you want to buy then - even if its second hand.

This way you've cashed out on all the older models, left behind a brand new and hopefully safer car at your mums disposal and left yourself open to buying whatever you want when you return. That to me in this scenario makes most sense.

Cheers.

Quote:
As I mentioned, Fluence is not a part of this present equation. The car is in sublime condition and I might hand it over to a relative when I travel. The dilemma is between the Swift and the Nano. I'm visiting multiple workshops over the weekend to get a feeler on how much it would cost me to entirely restore the swift.

Sorry for the back to back post but if I strictly exclude fluence from the equation, I'd still say sell both nano and swift and buy a more recent second hand option if need be - a car that your mum is comfortable driving and suits your purpose. Going second hand might mean you don't need to shell out more money from pocket.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 12th July 2018 at 09:20. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 27th July 2017, 14:26   #174
Senior - BHPian

The swift really hasn't changed all that much except in looks from its 1st generation onwards, and I would suspect that if it was an early enough swift built with 100% japanese parts and not too many desi manufactured components it'd last longer and work better than newer ones. What do you think?
Old 27th July 2017, 14:48   #175
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
The swift really hasn't changed all that much except in looks from its 1st generation onwards, and I would suspect that if it was an early enough swift built with 100% japanese parts and not too many desi manufactured components it'd last longer and work better than newer ones. What do you think?

That's also true actually. Fair point. I just meant if there are options with better safety features like twin airbags, ABS etc that may or may not be there on his older swift then it's worth considering.

But if the extra cash plonking required is not on the table then I guess refurbish is the only way to go.
Old 27th July 2017, 17:01   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No way my mom can drive the Fluence, the idea was to hand it over to a relative just for upkeep - not regular use. Do you still suggest I sell it?
That means the Fluence's got to go as well. I know its a resale disaster, but selling a sublime condition resale disaster is waaay better than a idled-in-a-garage-and-accumulated-rust resale disaster.

Upkeep in the closest family itself doesn't go well, unless they are inclined towards automotives.
Old 27th July 2017, 18:10   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you still suggest I sell it?
Just sell the Fluence!

You wanted to keep it out of the discussion hence I didn't add my inputs but since its part of the discussion it doesn't make any sense to hand it over to a relative unless you know it will be serviced like clockwork and kept in great condition so that once you're back you can use it for another few years.

If Fluence may have to be sold after 3 years its better to take the depreciation hit now than later.
Old 8th August 2017, 17:31   #178
BHPian

Alright everyone, so here is the update. The Swift will cost approx. 80k - 1 lac for a mechanical restoration. Nano will be sold for approx. 50k. I have not considered the cosmetic restoration right now.

But another option that came up was to sell the Nano and the Swift, and buy a new Micra Active XV. Does it make sense to spend 1 to 1.5 lacs on a 10 year old car or should I just go ahead and buy a new one? Been confused for a very long time now !
Old 18th August 2017, 18:22   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Guys,

Have been toying with the idea of a new car since a while now (I think I have posted 'I think I have found my next car' on almost all the new car threads out here ), but there was/and still isn't a need to change any of the cars at home - more to do with the automatic movement.

Presently we have 5 cars at home - earlier had an E60 BMW 525d which we just sold in May due to lack of use (new driver, too big for office commute, too loud for me to use as my daily, parking woes etc.)

3 of these are automatics (Laura, A6, C220d); and 2 are manuals (S Cross, Etios).
My house has 2 good parkings (one for a big car, one for something like the C), and multiple poor parkings (where size is critical - width & length) - where parking is possible but the chances of a scratch occurring are higher (thankfully been a while since the last scratch but I'd rather not put a premium German there). The Laura is probably about as big a car as I'd want to put in those spots comfortably.

However, recently dad has had to drive the car + increasing traffic due to ongoing road works in Mumbai (it is going to go on for a while due to Metro and all!) have got him thinking of replacing the Etios (2013, 45Kkm on the odo, new leather + tyres, etc.) with an AT vehicle; whereas I wouldn't mind replacing the Laura (done more kms - 75Kkm & older - 2012, and the update has given rise to a few niggles which I hate).

The new vehicle will be used either by me or mom; and budget is around 20-22L ex-showroom ideally (because for every 2L you can get a better car, but then, there is no stopping once you start the couple more lakhs game).

Other information/queries:

1) Sell the Laura or Etios? The other will be replaced in a year or two, and I can use a manual car - though Automatic would undoubtedly be more convenient.

2) If we get a car for me to use daily, the Laura be used by mom. If we sell the Laura, then the new car is for mom. Or get mom a new car, and I use the Laura again (70Kkm of the 75Kkm have been by me).

3) Etios requires no work

4) Laura will need work going ahead.

5) My requirements - fun to drive & sturdy (I enjoy the S-Cross, dearly miss the E60 5 series, and prior to the remapped Laura, I was using a Fiesta - should give an idea of my car requirements). Shouldn't be very loud. Primarily city driving as I have other cars for the highway. Don't care about brand value - running will be anywhere between 700 - 1500kms/month. If it is something that I can tune a little - I would be very happy.

6) Mom's requirements - Comfortable, spacious, reliable, and sturdy. Should have some brand value ideally. Not keen on SUVs at all (nothing in which she has to climb up - S Cross is the maximum ideal height). 700kms/month running at most.

7) Not interested in something bigger than the Laura. The Octy is out because it doesn't make sense to put in 20+ L on essentially a very similar vehicle to the Laura (unless the vRS happens to be amazingly well priced). I personally don't like the City, Ciaz, Creta. Compass has no Diesel Auto option for a while. Elantra is too low (mom & dad are 60+, and dad is 6'1", so headroom and ingress are critical). This leaves Corolla, CRV, Tucson, Vento TSi as options. Tiguan & X1 are stretching the budget, and I will not be comfortable with the driver driving them most of the time + parking.

8) Even if the driver is driving, automatic preferred = less jerks, and dad + wife can drive the car without problems whenever they decide to get behind the wheels.

I don't mind not picking up a car - but dad has this itch going on since the start of the year and eventually it has to be done. If not today, then within 6 months.
Also, would like to book before GST goes up - especially as Mumbai has low prices not seen since a while thanks to abolishment of Octroi.

Last edited by lamborghini : 18th August 2017 at 18:26.
Old 18th August 2017, 19:31   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Have been toying with the idea of a new car since a while now (I think I have posted 'I think I have found my next car' on almost all the new car threads out here ), but there was/and still isn't a need to change any of the cars at home - more to do with the automatic movement.

It's best you sell the Laura now. Your Etios can easily serve you without hassles for the next 4 years. Coming to the replacement if you plan to use it, then you should wait for the octy vrs or settle for the compass diesel as you are fine with a MT car. If it's for your mom you should consider the Tucson as it offers a decent package for the price. If you can stretch by a few Lakhs then the Tiguan makes a strong case. Considering your parents age it's best you stick to these crossovers/compact SUV's. Happy shopping!

Mod Note: Please avoid quoting the entire post when responding

Last edited by ampere : 18th August 2017 at 20:26. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
asit.kulkarni93 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks