Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2017, 15:12   #196
Team-BHP Support

Re: Need to replace Toyota Corolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post

Why dont you have a look at the S60 cross country. Given the bad roads and big speed breakers in bangalore I think this would be a good size car. Not as big as the current superb you plan to keep and not space constraint like the hatchbacks.
The S60 cross is well over 50L and in terms of space is lesser than the GLA.

The only premium crossover with some legroom is the GLA and the X1. But the X1 has smaller seats and harsher ride.

If you need chauffeur driven you really don't need these premium cars. The Superb is the best and you have it.

You're requirements are a little confusing. You are replacing a corolla but are ready for 45L and you own a superb.

If you are keeping the Superb for a longer time then get a small car/ mid size sedan like the Verna I mentioned.

If the Superb will also go then get something premium and small and fun to drive like the X1 or GLA and then replace the Superb with something like a Camry hybrid.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2017, 19:22   #197
BHPian

I have a different take on this.People seem to be recommending cars based on your existing car. The Toyota Corolla.But your requirement is different.Small car, back seat comfort, automatic,easy to drive,long term reliability and hassle free ownership.

If you already own a superb, another sedan/ suv with similar dimensions and back seat comfort is redundant.
You don't need off road capability,you want a small footprint car to fit into tight spots, local use 10-20 KM's,manoeuvrability in the city, ease of ingress/egress in the back seat and decent space . There's only one practical choice that ticks all the boxes : The Wagon R.

Just like there's only one real obvious choice if anybody wants a hassle free scooter: Honda Activa ,there's only one Wagon R .No other car will do what a Wagon R will do.It has the best backseat ergonomics for a short run use city car.You will appreciate the ease of ingress/egress more in the years to come.A Wagon R will also squeeze through spaces where wider Hatches ( Like Baleno/Polo) won't.

I have purchased a Wagon R as a city car in Ludhiana which is probably more congested than Bangalore and drive a Fiat Linea on the highways.

If backseat ergonomics are not an issue, it is a personal preference among hatches then from the Baleno to the Mercedes A Class.

Last edited by Aditya : 8th September 2017 at 08:21. Reason: As requested.
drsingh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2017, 19:32   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
\
If you are keeping the Superb for a longer time then get a small car/ mid size sedan like the Verna I mentioned.

If the Superb will also go then get something premium and small and fun to drive like the X1 or GLA and then replace the Superb with something like a Camry hybrid.
Superb is an excellent car. Has not done even 50000 km ( I dont keep track, lazy ) in 7 years. No trouble so far except annual service. Imho, better than A4 and Beemer 3 and C Class. So Superb stays.

Looking for second car that is easy to drive in Bangalore but wife would like to not to have too basic set up. Hence wide range of budget. Superb and Corolla have served better than those of my friends who bought luxury. But after 13 years, just itching to change Corolla though after basic repair work, that should do for another 4-5 years for me.
anilbajpai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2017, 20:06   #199
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilbajpai View Post
Looking for second car that is easy to drive in Bangalore but wife would like to not to have too basic set up.
In which case, I'd recommend you start with the Tiguan and check the X1, Q3 & GLA. All of them are well equipped and will keep the owner/driver entertained/insulated.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2017, 20:58   #200
BHPian

If you are okay with a relatively wider car and pretty average rear visibility I think you should look at Tucson. With a midsize sedan like turning radius (5.3m), lag free initial pick up, auto hold, front parking sensors, good international safety spec, decent space in both rows, very comfy ride at moderate/slow speeds, ease of getting in/out and good refinement, I think Tucson is a good option for city use with occasional highway trips. Being a Hyundai, it should be fairly reliable as well and you don't have to worry about techs like DSG. I know it is kind of pricey, but cars like Tiguan, X1, GLA, etc with more than 5.7m turning radius could be a pain to drive in the city. In fact after being in a similar confusion, I am going for Tucson after trying out every car in the 10-30 lakh price range.

Creta would be okay if you don't want exclusivity, but I am still not convinced about the AT version's safety. I would rule out Verna as its rear seat is relatively low.

Last edited by ece2k2 : 20th August 2017 at 21:28.
Old 20th August 2017, 22:13   #201
BHPian

Quote:
However, need to replace it with an automatic small/medium size car that can navigate in Bangalore traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Something on the lines of the VW Polo, i20, Baleno and similar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
There's only one practical choice that ticks all the boxes : The Wagon R.

If backseat ergonomics are not an issue, it is a personal preference among hatches then: Baleno
Let me chime in too and say: Test drive Baleno Alpha CVT. I think in the long run, Nexa's service standards will equal Toyota's and you won't have any complaint on that end too.

If you can move past the boxy looks, take a look at WagonR AMT as well.
sidhu_hs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2017, 22:27   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhu_hs View Post
Let me chime in too and say: Test drive Baleno Alpha CVT.
That is a naturally aspirated car with a CVT. a couple big ones more and you could get a 1.2 TSI with a DSG.
Old 20th August 2017, 22:58   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
That is a naturally aspirated car with a CVT. a couple big ones more and you could get a 1.2 TSI with a DSG.
See - his criteria seem to be "easy to drive, easy to park, comfortable in the back seat". I don't think "fun to drive", "great to redline on highways" etc petrolhead considerations come into the picture in that set of choices.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2017, 22:59   #204
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Looking for second car that is easy to drive in Bangalore but wife would like to not to have too basic set up. Hence wide range of budget. Superb and Corolla have served better than those of my friends who bought luxury. But after 13 years, just itching to change Corolla though after basic repair work, that should do for another 4-5 years for me.
You know what. If you are happy with the Corolla then just get another one. You may think that it's the same car but with teh new engine 7 step CVT and now 7 airbags and all features it's a very very good premium sedan and easy to drive in town. Ground clearance is excellent and controls are light. The CVT is the best transmission in city and is butter smooth with no jerks. YEs at 23 lakhs for the petrol it is pricey but the peace of mind and the brand holds good. You aren't compromising in anyway.

Every other car is a downgrade like Creta, City or Polo/Vento.

If you do want a brand change then look at the Tucson or Tiguan. but those are 30+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhu_hs View Post
Let me chime in too and say: Test drive Baleno Alpha CVT. I think in the long run, Nexa's service standards will equal Toyota's and you won't have any complaint on that end too.

If you can move past the boxy looks, take a look at WagonR AMT as well.
sidhu_hs, sorry to say this but the Baleno would probably be the last option for someone having a Corolla and Superb. The interior quality even when compared to the 13 year old corolla is abysmal. The light weight feel, flimsy build, terrible NVH and poor suspension will be unbearable for anyone looking at the Baleno from a corolla.

The Baleno is very good when someone is looking at it in isolation or in same segment but for a corolla/superb owner with a budget of 40 lakhs the last option from all cars would be the Baleno.
Vid6639 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st August 2017, 08:41   #205
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As Vid mentioned above, the new Corolla will be an ideal option to replace the old one. Alternately I would suggest other small/mid-size sedans like the Audi A3 or the Octavia top variant; the latter may have a similar feel to the Superb interiors, but since it’s a new generation (and a recent facelift) it looks sufficiently modern with an air of understated luxury.

And if you have to go by the SUV/Crossover way, the Tiguan probably is the ideal bet.
Old 21st August 2017, 09:01   #206
Senior - BHPian

I think he would have preferred a small hatchback because of the "need to self drive and park in Bangalore" factor. What do we have around that is a super premium hatchback and small enough for this?
Old 21st August 2017, 09:05   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Every other car is a downgrade like Creta, City or Polo/Vento.

If you do want a brand change then look at the Tucson or Tiguan. but those are 30+.
If somebody is ready for a change in brand, the new Jeep Compass Petrol 4x2 in Manual or AT format would be a nice addition. Its is quite compact to drive in city with a superior build than Corolla. Also, with a sedan like Superb in house, Compass can bring in that great variety in the stable.
sups is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2017, 10:11   #208
Senior - BHPian

EcoSport
Brezza
Creta
Tucson
Jeep Compass
Q3

Amaze
Aspire
City
Ciaz
A3
Old 21st August 2017, 11:20   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I think he would have preferred a small hatchback because of the "need to self drive and park in Bangalore" factor. What do we have around that is a super premium hatchback and small enough for this?

The Mercedes Benz B Class. It may not be a looker, but has ample amount of space to be chauffeur driven in, and has a relatively small footprint: the length is less than the C segment cars.
Old 21st August 2017, 11:43   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Our need is to drive within city (Bangalore) for ~20 km a day. We have a Toyota Corolla bought way back in 2004 that is still doing great. However, need to replace it with an automatic small/medium size car that can navigate in Bangalore traffic. Budget is not a constraint. Ease of drive, parking in the city, and reasonably good looks are. Getting completely confused in VW models to Volvo to Merc A/CLA. Mostly we use a driver but need to drive by ourselves as well. Any advice please. We are slow in changing cars and have very little/nil expertise in selecting one.
Why not consider getting a Corolla Altis? I would recommend it for the following points:-
  • Long-term reliability.
  • Easy to drive/park in congested environments.
  • Handles rough roads, pot-holes, bumps, etc., with ease.
  • Most comfortable/spaciaous rear seat in the segment.
  • Decent to look at.
  • Massive boot and lots of storage space makes the Altis a very practical car to own.
  • Toyota's service support is usually very good and gives the customer little to worry about.
I used to have a 2004 Corolla (sold after 12 years of ownership) and currently own a 2010 Altis (Petrol). If I had to pick a sedan keeping your points in mind, I wouldn't look any further than the Altis. Yes it is slightly expensive for what it offers, but then you get peace of mind.

Volkswagen cars are built like tanks, but I'm not sure about their reliability after a certain age (I'm speaking based on my experience with my Passat). The Vento still is very handsome to look at, but it has been around for a long time and is starting to feel like a dinosaur now.

Mercedes makes amazing cars, but they rob you at the time of servicing or repairing. Stay away from the A-Class/CLA if you are planning to use the back seat.

Don't know much about Volvo, so cannot comment. But their cars look brilliant!

My friends who have Hyundai cars speak well about them, but I have no personal experience with Hyundai.

Hope this helped. Cheers!
fordfreak is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed