Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2021, 16:11   #466
BHPian

Re: The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars

Fair enough, main reason I recommended used City was so you’ll have an extended budget for the main car, GLA at 55L is poor value for money, that’s why I said check out the 5 series or ES, at 65–68L these cars are 2 classes above GLA/X1 and it shows when you drive them, and the difference in price is less than the price of a new city.
AJ56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 17:39   #467

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Fair enough, main reason I recommended used City was so you’ll have an extended budget for the main car, GLA at 55L is poor value for money, that’s why I said check out the 5 series or ES, at 65–68L these cars are 2 classes above GLA/X1 and it shows when you drive them, and the difference in price is less than the price of a new city.
I totally understand where you are coming from and mostly agree with your perspective.

GLA however without the rear hand rest was not going to work for us, be it at 45 or 55. I don't know if Mercedes cares or not but we were ready to take the GLA220d 4matic with 0 discounts if only there was a rear handrest. Funny bit is all the review cars had the hand rest and the actual car does not. Completely unacceptable.

With already one sedan there in the family, we ideally did not want another along with. Also the size of the car both E and 5 are something my father is absolutely not comfortable with.

While we could ideally have gone for anything from Creta to X1 we finally decided to go ahead with the X1 20d Xline (in black) and should be getting our car delivered hopefully within this week (they quoted 5 business days ).
rahulkumarin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 22:14   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulkumarin View Post
While we could ideally have gone for anything from Creta to X1 we finally decided to go ahead with the X1 20d Xline (in black) and should be getting our car delivered hopefully within this week (they quoted 5 business days ).
Congratulations on the X1! All my cars are black too, the best colour in my opinion.
Old 29th September 2021, 01:10   #469

Quote:
Congratulations on the X1! All my cars are black too, the best colour in my opinion.
Thank You.

We usually are super conservative with the colors and have avoided black ( until now). This time around though everyone at home wanted x1 ( in black) and City (golden brown which unless you look under direct sunlight looks like black) with tough to maintain colours.

Also we have this thing for scratches and really feel the need to keep the ride in good nick ( knowing Pune i assure you that is impossible to the power infinity)

I did read on your post w.r.t not recommending PPF for the same.

I was actually considering getting the x1 done by Xpel Ultimate and see what that works out to (not sure if it is financially prudent). The other option of course being that we get it done for more damage prone areas with ceramic for the rest.

Would love to hear your thoughts on the above.
Old 29th September 2021, 15:22   #470
BHPian

Wouldn’t recommend partial PPF, when the panels that have film on them meet the panels with no film the difference is quite visible (even on black). If cost is a concern, a high quality ceramic coating will be roughly 1/3 the cost of PPF. As you might have read, PPF adds a lot of orange peel to the paintwork so if you’re particular about the sharpness of reflections/optical distortion then avoid it. If you’re someone who’s not concerned with orange peel and would like the added peace of mind from minor rock chips on the front panels (medium to large ones will go through regardless of film) then by all means go for it.

One more point I’d like to add that I haven’t mentioned on the other thread is that with PPF, anything more than very fine swirls cannot be easily corrected (self healing is only for very fine abrasion), so care while washing is as important (if not more) than a coated vehicle. Otherwise, unlike a coating you cannot wetsand or compound a film, the entire panel has to be redone and that is often nearly as expensive as a repaint.

Finally, with black cars one major advantage is touching up minor imperfections is very easy, all you need is the same colour coded paint as was used by the mfg, and minor scratches/chips can be touched up and 90-95% hidden, unlike other colours where it’s much more visible. Also note, if you daily drive any car, PPF or not in city traffic the question isn’t if you’ll get nicked/dented/scratched but when, have a good body shop on speed dial whom you trust and whose work is high quality.

BMW dealer body shops are a hit or miss, Navnit motors is decent in Mumbai I’ve seen their work first hand, but Bird auto here in Gurgaon is terrible, again I’ve seen customers’ cars done by them and it’s terrible quality with pinholes and colour mismatch and fish eye defects all over. So ask a good detailer in your area about a body shop they trust and recommend and you’ll be good. Cheers.
Old 30th September 2021, 19:18   #471

Quote:
Wouldn’t recommend partial PPF, when the panels that have film on them meet the panels with no film the difference is quite visible (even on black). If cost is a concern, a high quality ceramic coating will be roughly 1/3 the cost of PPF. As you might have read, PPF adds a lot of orange peel to the paintwork so if you’re particular about the sharpness of reflections/optical distortion then avoid it. If you’re someone who’s not concerned with orange peel and would like the added peace of mind from minor rock chips on the front panels (medium to large ones will go through regardless of film) then by all means go for it.
Thanks for the all the valid points and clarifications.

To summarize what i understood pertaining to my needs

1. Don't bother with PPF if you want to spend less then 1.5 lac on it. From the video shared on the other PPF thread it seemed Xpel came out somewhat on top in the overall quality and 3M was really nowhere close. Xpel will cost 2+ for the whole body.

2. Considering we plan to keep the car for around 7 years or so, I guess might be worthwhile spending and getting a ceramic coating for now and then getting panels painted/touched up as required. ( Of course original paint always commands a premium in after sales but for this segment of cars, I doubt it will be as relevant and there are too many unknowns anyways to predict the future)

3. Find myself a good body shop. Traveling to mumbai does happen for us on a monthly basis but not sure I would be able to leave the car there unless its a small amount of work to be done which can be managed within a day or two.

I will need to read up on after care of ceramic as well now so that our friendly neighborhood car cleaner does not to end up ruining it.

Cheers and thanks for clearing up my confusion.
Old 30th October 2021, 11:21   #472
BHPian

Huge Conundrum!! New Car between 30-40 lakhs and Sell which old car?

Hi everyone, excited to write my first post...desperately need some buying advice.

Current Background

We are a family of 4. My mom cannot drive and she has her own driver. I, my dad and brother love driving.

We are all about solid build, good driving dynamics and safety.
Not too worried about the latest and rather gimmicky infotainment features etc.

We currently own 3 cars -

1. A 2015 VW Jetta (Highline TDI AT) - 1,20,000 km done

(recently installed new tyres all round)

2. A 2018 VW Vento (Highline Plus AT Petrol) (DQ200) - 40k km done

3. A 2014 Nissan Micra Safety Edition - 55k km done

My Dad uses the Jetta, my mom the Vento and me and my brother together share the Micra.

My dad has long weekend work trips from Pune to Nashik, Ahmednagar, Kolhapur, Mumbai etc. So highway stability and safety are the most important parameters.

He clocked 1,00,000 km in 3 years in our old Corolla Altis and has done 1.2 lakh km in 6 years in the Jetta.

Expect 20k km running per year for his car.

The other 2 cars are city cars with the Vento making the odd trip to Mumbai etc (once every 40 days or so)

Micra doesn't go out of Pune at all.

My dad is very understated and does not want a flashy or showy car at all. Hence his liking for VW. Clean and functional is his thing.

My mother thinks we should be getting a brand car for spending around 40 lakhs.

Future Options

In the past year or so, the Micra has had rattles and sounds coming from the brakes and the engine.. and has generally become quite old and banged up.

My father wanted to sell it and change the Micra since March 2020. So basically now it has to go. Me and my brother were keen on keeping it as a beater car and for our dog to jump about in.

But it has gotten very underpowered (67bhp when new).

So we will be selling the Micra for sure.

Now our options are:

1. Dad's Option -

Sell - Vento and Micra

Buy - SUV or Sedan - Toyota/VW and a Hatchback (10 lakh)

Keep - Jetta

Sell both the Micra and the Vento

Buy a car between 30-40 lakhs (would have loved a Passat but also likes the Tiguan --- his number 1 option right now)

Buy a hatchback to replace the Micra (under 10 lakhs)

My parents have always preferred sedans to SUVs but due to the lack of options in the 25-40 lakh space, my dad is considering the Tiguan.

We do not want huge cars. That has automatically ruled out the fortuner, gloster, endeavour etc.

Only option I can think of comparable to the 5 seater Tiguan is the Jeep Compass (size, interior, driving dynamics)

2. Mom's Option-

Sell - Micra

Buy - Sedan (BMW, Audi, Mercedes)

Keep - Jetta, Vento

Mom is absolutely not in favour of SUVs.

She thinks we should sell the Micra and get a premium luxury car (one of Audi,BMW,Merc) and stretch our budget to 50 lakhs if needed.

It has been a long time aspiration for her and she thinks it is worth going for the A4 or C class or X1 in place of a comparable Superb or Tiguan for those additional 10 lakhs.

She is also open to checking out preowned examples of these cars for around 35-40 lakhs

We will keep the Vento and Jetta.. with the Vento going to us brothers and she using the Jetta.

Me and my Brother's Option -

Sell - Micra

Buy - Tiguan/Superb

Keep - Jetta

Both of us think that getting a new hatchback for around 10 lakhs on road is completely pointless as we already have the relatively new Vento which is a much better car than all the 10 lakh hatchbacks.

We were concerned about the DQ200 gearbox but since it is a 2018 car, I am pretty confident that as VW updated the Electronics in the gearbox over the years, we should be okay.

We are also not very convinced by what we will get from the German luxury brands over the Vw group cars for those additional 10 lakh rupees. So we are leaning towards Dad's side here.

Conclusions and Questions:

The 6 year old Jetta has been a family favourite and is an amazing car and is supremely comfortable and well built. All of us want to keep it for at least 2-3 years more. It has given no faults or mechanical issues till now.

The 3 year old Vento is the top end one with the led headlamps and equipped with all necessary creature comforts. We are very happy with the drivability and power delivery of the gearbox as well. Can we trust the DQ200 in the long term?

The 7 year old Micra will be going. What do we replace it with?

My father is very averse to the high maintenance costs of the German Luxury brands having heard loads of horror stories from his friends.

We are mostly settled on the Vento being passed down to us, my mom getting the Jetta and Dad getting whichever new car.

All three cars are used on a daily basis. None of them is sitting around.

Questions:

1. Will the Vento be reliable in the long term? We have no complaints apart from the doubt over the DQ200 unit.

2. How much higher will the Servicing and Maintenance costs be for a 3 series/ C class/ A4 over a Superb or Tiguan?

3. Is the 3 year old Vento as good as the new modern hatchbacks? (i20, Polo, Baleno, Jazz)

4. Is it worth considering a Taigun at all instead of the Tiguan? (me and my brother are adamant that if we are buying an SUV it has to be a proper SUV and not a raised hatchback gimmick)

5. Will the maintenance costs rack up for the German Luxury cars post 50-60k km 3 years down the line or do they remain relatively constant? i.e Is it a good idea to go down the Pre owned Luxury car route if the running of the car is going to be upwards of 20,000 km a year?

6. Any viable alternatives for the Tiguan apart from the Compass and which of the two would you suggest?

7. What kind of running costs can we expect from a German Luxury car over the next 7-8 years where the car will do at least 1 lakh km?

Thanking you all in anticipation.

This discussion has caused a fair few arguments at home and we need your objective opinions!!

Cheers
sauravpat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 12:48   #473
Senior - BHPian

Re: Huge Conundrum!! New Car between 30-40 lakhs and Sell which old car?

Zero experience in owning those cars but approaching it from a logical standpoint.

Jetta : keep
Micra : sell
Vento :
- Selling now might fetch you a better resale with the used car market riding high and the expected phase out of the Vento but selling a 3 year old top end will also be a hit in itself.
- Since you've already bought the car and if not averse to using it in the city, just keep it as is.
An under 10 lakh beater car, assuming proper automatic and Polo being in the same boat as the Vento, you're left with Baleno/Glanza, i20 and Jazz. IMO the Vento trumps them all since you're not very keen on gizmos in which case the i20 would have an edge.

Vento : keep according to me, mainly due to the lack of better automatic options. But sell if you're planning to sell it 2 years down the line.

New car : not eligible, someone better informed than me can comment on that

Last edited by shancz : 30th October 2021 at 12:58. Reason: comm 1
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 12:59   #474
BHPian

I'd look to sell the Jetta and Micra because they are 7 years old now, with Jetta already clocked 1.2 lac kms. Get a safe hatchback to replace Micra. But since Jetta is driven a lot i'd replace it with another diesel. Maybe Compass or current Tucson (there is a new model in coming months but looks flashy).
AnandB is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 13:08   #475
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauravpat View Post

My dad is very understated and does not want a flashy or showy car at all. Hence his liking for VW. Clean and functional is his thing.
This says VW Tiguan or the Skoda Superb.

Micra = sell and get a i20N line. Keep the Vento.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 13:32   #476
Senior - BHPian

Sell Jetta and get Audi A4 at discounted price or 3 series. Micra should last another couple of years and so should Vento. Consider replacing Micra with an EV once there are good options in market.
PrideRed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 13:45   #477
BHPian

Okay, I am going to mix up all the three options.

Sell: micra
Buy: Skoda Superb/ Octavia

The brothers could keep the vento. Mom could keep the jetta. And your dad gets the Superb/Octavia.

Reasons: Like you rightly pointed out, a ten lakh rupee hatch would not be a better option than the vento. Vento is superior in every way. Your mom would get an upgrade to the jetta, your family favorite.

Coming to the most important part: Given your father is okay with the tiguan, i get it he doesn't mind getting a petrol. So, you can buy the Skoda Superb(75% of the A6 / E-Class / 5-Series luxury at 50% of the price) or the Skoda Octavia(80% of the A4 / C-Class / 3-Series at a significantly lower price). I have other reasons too. These two cars offer supreme comfort and safety(recommend you read through our forum reviews), and is relatively less flashy than the luxury brands. Your father is used to sedans. Switching to SUVs may not be a small transition, and may not be a transition he would like. These cars don't put a hole in the pocket like the luxury brands. All it takes to convince your mom is to have a test drive. She could like it. Also, even if you pick the Octavia, it would still feel like an upgrade from the Jetta.

Everybody wins.
Benoit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 14:16   #478
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
I'd look to sell the Jetta and Micra because they are 7 years old now, with Jetta already clocked 1.2 lac kms.
Agree! Sack off both as they have dubious service support, especially with the Jetta being very expensive to repair or replace parts.

Buy a safe hatch now, and wait for the Slavia and Virtus to launch in March 2022. Choose the top end 1.5 TSI DSG combo and you're set. Excellent mileage and a car which should match the Jetta in most ways.

Alternatively, look for a pre-worshipped Superb 2.0 TDI AT. Can't go wrong with that either.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 14:26   #479
Distinguished - BHPian

Since all 3 cars are being used, it would make sense to keep all three cars.
I would look at replacing the Micra with the Vento, handing over the Jetta to the driver, and picking a new self-drive option for your father.

Since you'll are happy with the VWs at home, I would suggest looking at the Superb, A4, and if you can stretch your budget the A6 & 3 Series. However, Audi has diminished most of the discounted stock so you maybe better waiting till December / January to see what offers can be had.

As an off beat suggestion, since you mention you'll are happy with compact vehicles : can even look at the Octavia for self driving, or a Camry Hybrid to hand over to your mother and the chauffeur.

In the pre-owned space, I would look strong and hard for the new 3 & 5 series. Try and find one within warranty.

The X1 is starting to feel dated, with current pricing and limited discounts : you would be better off waiting for the next gen X1.
Tiguan / Kodiaq : only petrol options, with high running such as yours could see fuel bills piling up. Also, the Tiguan has a stiff ride in the city though it flattens out the highways.
GLA / C : simply overpriced, and in my experience Mercedes is higher to maintain than the comparable VWAG / BMW.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 16:15   #480
BHPian

I'd suggest you to sell off the Micra and keep Vento for yourself and Jetta for mom as you won't get these kind of cars anymore.

And, coming to new car, I'd suggest you to look at Superb or an Audi A4 at discounted prices as well as BMW 3 series.

In crossovers, I'd suggest Jeep Compass Diesel AT, Tiguan and Tucson Diesel AT.

Since you want to keep the Jetta and Vento, why not go for Crossovers? They might not be as comfortable as sedans but does the job done.
car_guy1998 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks