Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2022, 08:47   #511
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Can my 2013 Verna Fluidic 1.6 CRDi run reliably for another 2-3 years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunjain View Post
I would think that's more likely to happen with two similar cars..
Fair assessment, but in your case, it is not like you are having

one compact hatch, one large
one car/suv, one off-roader
one small EV, one P/D
one family car, one goods friendly
one that's nearly a heirloom and sentimental, one regular use
or other similar combinations.

The Verna and the Scorpio-N are not that diverse that the Scorpio-N cannot do what the Verna can do. Both are of similar size, similar features - except the body type. The Scorpio can do all that the Verna can, and a little more.

Even if there was a case of a car regularly used by senior parents who wont find it easy to get into a tall vehicle, there would have been some justification.

You will see the situation better once you get into it
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 23:01   #512
BHPian

Re: The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars

Hi everyone, hoping you could help me with a dilemna that I have kind of brought upon myself owing to being a car enthusiast and letting the heart rule over the mind more often than not well I guess most of us on Team BHP belong in that category.

So here's the dilemna - We are a 3 car household with my parents using a 2011 Ford Fiesta Classic petrol, which my dad loves and plans to keep as long as possible. Me and my wife use a Ford Figo TDCI Titanium Blu bought in 2019 which I absolutely love. We used to have a Safari Dicor 2012 as a family car which we sold of at the end of last year due to its age and increasing maintenance costs. We were managing fine with the two Fords but I always felt the need of a big car that can take the whole family, our dogs and move stuff around when needed. I wasnt keen on investing in a new MPV / SUV primarily due to the high costs and BS6 diesel issues. But in March this year, a friend of mine based in Delhi NCR reached out as he had a 2012 Innova 7 seater and was in a bind due to the 10 year ban for diesel vehicles. Knowing the car personally and its maintenance history, I was keen to jump at the chance and managed to get it at a mouth watering price. Went to Delhi, got the NOC, drove it down to Kerala and re-registered it to KL. Its a wonderful machine with no issues - got it serviced at Toyota and they also confirmed by observations about the machine. Everyone in the family loves travelling in it.

So far so good, but here's the dilemma. With covid easing up and offices reopening, we moved back to Kochi. Wifey expressed her desire to learn driving. Got her signed up for classes and she learnt to drive on an Alto and she gained confidence on the streets. Naturally I had planned on having her use the Figo and me using the Innova. I have a considerably higher running and visit our hometown every week so both of us using the same car will not work out . But despite my best attempts, she is simply not confident on using the Figo, especially in crowded Kochi. She complains of it being too powerful and having difficulty in stop and go traffic. She got in to a small fender bender which didn't help the matter at all. I suspect its the nature of the TDCI mill that is making her feel skittish. With the AC on the car feels a bit sluggish at low revs in traffic but when the turbo kicks in it just shoots ahead like a rocket. She suggested that we sell the Figo and get a pre-owned alto / celerio that she would feel more confident in. I went and checked a few cars at Spinny and they had some good cars on offer. We would be left with a decent amount of spare change too even after getting a replacement maruti.

Should I go ahead and sell the Figo? Ford's exit is also something that is plaguing my thoughts - the service is good as of now but until when? The comparative ease of maintaining a Maruti is tempting. Any minor dents and scratches on a Maruti will not cause me as much heartache as seeing it on my Figo. But the thought of letting go of the Figo pains me too, esp. as a Ford guy. Hoping for some sound advice.

Last edited by robbie_KL : 23rd August 2022 at 23:05. Reason: spelling error
Old 12th October 2022, 10:30   #513
BHPian

Keep or Sell

Background : I own a Ford Figo S (Diesel) & an Ameo HL+ DSG (diesel). Figo S is of Feb 2019 and been driven for 26K KMs. Ameo is of April 2019 and is been driven for 27K KMs. My dad is somehow not comfortable to drive the Ameo DSG as he has always been driving a manual car for over 3 decades now. I have a pending loan amount of Rs. 75K on Figo and around Rs.4L on Ameo.

Dilemma: We had a Vento MPI which we sold to go for an Ameo DSG. Now both our cars are out of market and are unique in their own way. Figo S Diesel is a pocket rocket with a 'unique' suspension setup and Ameo is a DSG + Diesel combo which you get now. We had got the Figo for Dad as he use to drive to Pune from Mumbai every month. We have a 2nd home there which we now have rented it out since 1st October. Which means, there will be no more Pune trips in the foreseebale future. This makes us think if we do need 2 cars now.

My thought Process:

1. Sell the Figo S and clear the loan on Ameo and live an EMI free life
2. Sell the Figo S and invest the money with a goal to buy a better and bigger car (may be EV) few years down the line. Continue with the Ameo till this materializes.
3. Sell both Figo S & Ameo DSG, clear out loans and then use the balance amount as down payment for a Nexon EV Max or MG ZS EV (will be too much of a difference)
4. Sell the Ameo DSG, invest the money post loan amount deduction with a goal to buy a better car may be 5 years down the line. Continue with Figo till this materializes. This has a con that post loan deduction there will be hardly anything for me to invest. Hence this is the last preferred option.

Please do help with your suggestions. Also note that I drive to Konkan & Goa every quarter which requires me to drive min 550 KMs in a day so little skeptical if EVs will make sense then.
Old 12th October 2022, 17:48   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Keep or Sell

My thought Process:

1. Sell the Figo S and clear the loan on Ameo and live an EMI free life
2. Sell the Figo S and invest the money with a goal to buy a better and bigger car (may be EV) few years down the line. Continue with the Ameo till this materializes.
3. Sell both Figo S & Ameo DSG, clear out loans and then use the balance amount as down payment for a Nexon EV Max or MG ZS EV (will be too much of a difference)
4. Sell the Ameo DSG, invest the money post loan amount deduction with a goal to buy a better car may be 5 years down the line. Continue with Figo till this materializes. This has a con that post loan deduction there will be hardly anything for me to invest. Hence this is the last preferred option.
2. Sell Figo, invest the returns. Since you’ll get higher interests rates on your investment vs what you’re paying on the loan, do not prioritise paying off the loan with the Figo sale.

Coming to EV’s, I wouldn’t recommend since the only ev with 600km+ real world range is the EQS which is out of budget for most folks. Get a high powered petrol cruiser for long distances and you’ll be happy. IC cars are far from over, and will be still be the majority of cars sold and operated in the next decade at least. Specially in a power challenged country like ours.
AJ56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 18:15   #515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie_KL View Post
So here's the dilemna - We are a 3 car household with my parents using a 2011 Ford Fiesta Classic petrol, which my dad loves and plans to keep as long as possible. Me and my wife use a Ford Figo TDCI Titanium Blu bought in 2019 .
It won't be very wise to sell the figo for a used maruti. But you ought to listen to the Home Minister
You could look at buying a new Celerio Manual / AMT or a Tiago which will keep you happy at least for the next 10 years.

Last edited by Turbanator : 5th November 2022 at 21:51. Reason: Quoted post trimmed.
Old 5th November 2022, 17:45   #516
Senior - BHPian

Dear All,

I currently own a 2015 Skoda Rapid TDi DSG. The car has done just 32K kms in the last 7 years. Thanks to COVID, the car stood parked for 1.5 years. I think the clutch pack was replaced in the 4th year of ownership just before warranty expired.
Right now there are no problems with car or the DSG gearbox. Suspension has normal wear and tear which I plan to address in the 8th year service.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post5428207 (Skoda Rapid 1.5 TDI DSG failure | Quoted Rs 95000, no goodwill warranty from Skoda | Options?)

Should I retain the car till 2025 or should I sell it soon as I have no warranty cover ? I was mentally prepared to shell 1 Lac rupees when the DSG failure happens, but the above story that the car couldn't be brought back to original condition even after spending 2 lacs is making me weary.

I need your advice on what to do.

Regards,
F150

Last edited by F150 : 5th November 2022 at 17:47.
Old 9th November 2022, 19:51   #517
BHPian

I have a BMW G30 530D, immaculate condition driven only 20-21k KMs. It's a 2017 model and I am looking to upgrade, what are my options?
Also what should be a good price for this car, it's Delhi registered?
Old 14th November 2022, 14:57   #518
BHPian

Need help to shuffle Garage

This is my first post here.
I have been following the forum since quite some years now and Team bhp has helped my grow my auto knowledge to a great extent.

I Need suggestions for my shuffling my Garage; I wanted a to add a poll but I am a newbie.

Here's my dilemma:
Few months ago my dad started experiencing leg pain and was diagnosed with AVN (it requires a total hip replacement for people who don't know). So he finds it difficult to drive a manual car or a low seated car because of low ingress and egress.
Therefore, we need a car which is comfortable for him and will be used 90% in the city only.

Our current garage:
Renault Duster 2014: 100k kilometers on odo, i bought it used in 2018. This car is mainly used by dad in city for office to home commute, and on our family trips too. I bought this car used in 2018 and I love how it rides on broken roads. replaced all tires at 50k and all shock absorbers at 96k. Works like a charm.

Skoda Rapid 1.5 TDI DSG: 30k kilometers on odo. This is used 100% by me.

Due to dad's condition i was thinking if replacing one of the two or both cars, and here are my options:

1. Keep Rapid, sell duster and buy New Ignis AMT or pre owned jazz cvt for dad

2. Keep Duster for myself, sell Rapid and buy a New Ignis AMT or pre owned jazz CVT for dad

3. Sell both cars and buy automatic Ignis/jazz for dad and pre owned compass manual for myself

4. Keep both cars and hire a chauffer for dad

5. Sell both cars and buy new Seltos diesel AT

Please suggest if there are any other better options.
Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 15:30   #519
Team-BHP Support

Re: Need help to shuffle Garage

Whilst having a driver is a good alternate to replacing with an automatic their services may not be as consistent as you may need or like. Get your father the Ignis AMT is that works well for him and keep whichever car you enjoy and fits your routine between the Rapid and the Duster and sell the other.

But if you know a dependable driver that should be all you need to get and see how it pans out.
manson is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 15:31   #520
Distinguished - BHPian

I think the Duster is a candidate for sale. Out of production, has done 1 L km. I say this despite the ride comfort it has.

Unless parking or commute conditions are an issue, the Jazz CVT over the Ignis.

While you decide and find a suitable solution, a driver can take care of things.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 08:34   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Unless parking or commute conditions are an issue, the Jazz CVT over the ignis.
Is the seating position of jazz better than the ignis for dad? I was considering ignis only for the tallboy stance and it gets easier for him to get in and out.
Is the seat height of jazz higher than rapid?
Old 15th November 2022, 09:04   #522
BHPian

I'm also considering Tiago EV along with jazz and ignis.

What makes me skeptical about EV is that i watched a video of running cost calculations of tiago ev against tiago petrol.

The break even point of ev comes at 80k kms, which i assume is roughly the lifespan of the battery. So i would start saving post 80k kms. Premium asking price makes up for the running and maintenance cost saved that too after 80k kilometers.
Ofcourse there's 8 years warranty so tata would replace it. But what if the battery dies after warrenty period? The current costs of battery are very high. And if i dont replace dead battery the resale of the car would be hardly 10% after the warrenty expires.
Any petrol hatch would still fetch me about 30% of the original value of the car in the 9th+ year of ownership.

Am i missing something here?
Old 6th March 2023, 12:59   #523

Confused in upgrading my car

Dear all,
To get my Teambhp account approved makes me extremely happy.
I started reading blogs regularly since 2015, a year before I purchased my first car (i20 elite diesel). I used the Teambhp blogs extensively when selecting my car at that time. Seven years later, I am struggling to decide to upgrade my car. I'm going to break this section up into two parts; first, I'll explain the scenario in general terms, and then I'll express the doubt I have. I genuinely need your assistance in coming to a choice.

Context:
I already said that I have a 2016 Hyundai i20 Elite Diesel with 55000 kilometres on it. My father drives a Honda Jazz petrol with 28000 kilometres on it. My wife and I worked in Bangalore until September 2020. Thereafter, we made the decision to move back to our hometown of Kochi, Kerala, for a variety of reasons, and my parents joined us. After that, the use of the Jazz decreased significantly, so I made the decision to sell both vehicles and get a used or new one.
I obviously made a mistake by not conducting as much research before my second purchase:-(.
In the end, I traded my dad's Honda jazz for a used 2019 Creta petrol AT. Also, my plan was to sell the I20 within two months of purchase.
But after making a few lengthy trips in Creta, I came to the conclusion that my choice was incorrect. In city driving, it hardly provides 8 to 9 km/l (I mostly drive in city). And I really missed my i20 diesel's peppiness and fuel economy. Now I'm in a terrible pickle. Really, I don't have the need for two cars. Just a bike and one automobile will do (i already have a bike which I use for daily commute to office).

Here are few recap of specs and details,
2019 Creta Petrol AT - 22000 km
2016 i20 elite Diesel Manual- 55000km
Monthly travel distance- 800 km mostly, but once in 3 months i have long trips (can vary between 800 to 1200 km)

Options came to my mind,
  1. Sell creta at the earliest and keep my i20 for another couple of years and look for a better alternative later.
  2. Sell i20 and keep Creta since it is less km driven and considering the current BS6 stricter norms against diesel cars (i am clueless if it’s going to be a good decision)
  3. Sell both the cars and buy a used or new vehicle within the budget of the sold vehicle, so that i don’t want to shell out more money from my pocket. (again i am clueless about which model and car to go with)

I really need help from all the experts out there to make a decision.
gearhead_gypsy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 00:02   #524
Senior - BHPian

Re: Confused in upgrading my car

Welcome to TBHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_gypsy View Post
I really need help
Preferences on ground clearance, SUV/hatch/sedan, luggage space, transmission?

As for which car, I would suggest to forget that you have any car and treat it as a new car hunt with a budget of under 19 lakhs and reach a final list of 2-3 cars. Then see how much of that role is fulfilled by the Creta and the i20 and only then take a call.

Would also suggest to wait for the BS6.2 RDE emission norms and e20 compliance to be available for all the cars from April.
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 20:25   #525

Re: Confused in upgrading my car

Hello, Shancz Many thanks for your response.
I conducted some study of my own and came to a conclusion that I would like to reaffirm.
In response to your inquiries about my preferences, I would like to purchase a compact SUV, ideally a diesel.

Used Brezza (D), XUV300, or S-cross 1.6/1.3 D are on my wishlist.
My next item on my Wishlist would be a hybrid vehicle if this proved to be an unworkable solution.

Yet I might need to wait another year or two before pursuing my plan to purchase a hybrid vehicle. because I cannot afford the hybrid autos that are currently on the market.

So, I would like to hear your opinion on these 2 options. Right now, I am slightly inclined towards the idea of buying hybrid vehicle. If so, I may have to sell either Creta or i20. And that again brings to a confusion. Which one of these vehicles I should sell first.

A recap of vehicle details,
Creta – Petrol AT (2019) – 22,000 km run (mileage 8/9 in city)
I20- Diesel Manual (2016) – 55,000 km run (mileage 15 in city approx..)

My monthly travel distance would be under 800 most of the time. Once in 3 months I travel to my hometown or maybe other long trips.
gearhead_gypsy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks