Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2024, 11:08   #571
BHPian

Re: The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars

Hey PetrolHead2272,

I'd suggest you go for the first option, i.e., getting Scorpio-N first and letting go of the Glanza for Hycross once it arrives after a year and a half or two.

BTW, you didn't mention which fuel type you are going for. If Scorpio-N, I'd suggest you go for Diesel only since Petrol is a fuel guzzler.

TBH, the Hycross+Scorpio-N combo is too tempting IMO and even I too want to have a similar combo at home though we have Hycross at home while Scorpio-N will be the replacement for my 10-year-old Honda City iDTEC. But the only problem with Scorpio-N is it will be too big to drive for mom, who will be using it for her daily commute of 20 Kms a day that too in my absence (presently in USA for my masters and I might move back to India if any situation arises), and considering our use case, Scorpio-N will be too much IMO.
Old 4th April 2024, 20:13   #572

Greetings, fellow BHP-ians,

I find myself in a bit of a dilemma. Standing at 6'4", I purchased a Honda Jazz ZX CVT as my first car in December 2022. So far, I've driven it for about 6,000 kilometers, mostly within the city, and I rarely drive for more than an hour at a time. However, after taking a few longer drives recently, I've started experiencing knee pain. Upon investigation, I realized that my knee occasionally hits the dashboard, especially on bumpy roads and during sudden braking.
I'm seeking advice on how to address this issue. Should I consider selling the car and looking for a new one, or is there a way to adjust and make do by altering my driving style? The Jazz was the only car that fit my budget of 12-13 Lakhs and could accommodate my height, albeit with the seat height adjusted to its lowest setting and the seat pushed back as far as possible.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions !

The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars-pxl_20240328_112133788.mp.jpg
Old 22nd April 2024, 20:23   #573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
You have a comfortable family crossover and good 4x4 SWB SUV. What else do you need?
I am with you Asit, Deals will come and go , he needs to ask himself - DO I REALLY NEED IT? He also needs to tell his wife he is taking a second loan for car, maybe she can help him take a good decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi_k_b View Post
Greetings, fellow BHP-ians,

I've started experiencing knee pain. Upon investigation, I realized that my knee occasionally hits the dashboard,[/ATTACH]
Why not try putting some good cushion in that place. I am sure you must have tried changing your driving position already, apart from that nothing else can be done about this IMO.

Last edited by silverado : 22nd April 2024 at 20:27.
Old 22nd April 2024, 22:17   #574
BHPian

I would take the luxury of giving you a third option. Why don't you give the thar to your wife and kid and use the s cross for some time. That would solve your concern of using the thar too much. Meanwhile, since you mostly do highway drives, I would suggest you look at the Xuv700 AT. Feature loaded and ease of driving. Also the headlights are among the best.
Old 23rd April 2024, 08:35   #575

Hello all,

Hope you all are doing well. I am currently in a state of confusion as to whether I should buy a new car or should continue with the current one.

Present Situation:

We are a family of 3 and we currently have 2 cars. The first one is Honda City VX, 2016 Model with 65000k on the odometer. The second one is Tata Altroz DCA (Yeah! I purchased Tata) XTA DCA 2023 with 7000k on the meter.

My dilemma / Confusion:

1. Honda City is around 8 years old. Even though the vehicle is well maintained and has absolutely no issues, I require a bigger car for my occasional long trips (usually 3-4 times a year).

2. I live in a very small city and my office is only around 0.5 Kms from my house. The vehicle is primarily used for office and kid's school which is around 2kms only. The other car is used by my wife for office commute for the same distance.

3. Even though the city is well maintained and is extremely comfortable, it lacks some of the important safely features and and is kind of outdated when it comes to latest features.

4. I have absolutely no trust on Altroz when it comes to reliability and therefore does not use the car for a longer trips. (Anything above and beyond 250Km on a single run is a strict No.)

My options:
Scenario 1: I continue to use city for another year or two with partial modifications mainly on the sound system. This will cost around 30k. However, the price for which the city can be sold is around 4.5lakhs only.

Scenario 2: I purchase a new car. Preferably Xuv 700 AX7. The only confusion is whether the car will have a similar level of comfort or driving experience as that of city.

Thank You
Old 23rd April 2024, 10:48   #576
BHPian

Re: Garage reshuffling conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolHead2272 View Post

Option 1:

The first YOLO option. My dad and I love the Scorpio N. We both had a strong dislike towards the first generation but we love the one on sale currently. So the option is, we buy the Scorpio and when the Hycross is allotted to us, we sell the Glanza. That way we have a two-car garage - the Hycross ZX(o) and the Scorpio.

Kindly help me choose the right option. I'm sure it's confusing for everyone to understand but a 100 times more confusing for us to decide.
Regards.
This seems so far the best option by far, gives you two butch looking cars both with their own merits and also the Scorpio is more level headed choice over the thar. btw which variant of the Scorpio are you looking at
Old 23rd April 2024, 19:00   #577
BHPian

Hello dear members, my family are in a dilemma, which car to replace our Ritz ZDI with more than 1.3 lakh km on the odometer, bought a used one in 2020 and used it as a beater car, but recently it started to show a lot more problems and there is a lot of work required steering, suspension, new tyres,ac and what not so we have decided to replace it with something under 15L but as the market is filled with fantastic value for money options we are confused as to which car to buy.
With the following requirements:
1. Diesel automatic is the preference.
2. Needs to be reliable.
3. Spacious and comfortable over long journeys.
4. Safety.

Currently, we have Vento Tdi Dsg 2017 and Hycross hybrid Vx, Vento has crossed more than a lakh km but it still runs like a dream and turned it to be pretty reliable so no plans of selling it, here are the options we are considering:
1. Vw Taigun 1.0 mt: It is a fantastic car but Vw service experience with our past experience with Vento is just meh, also the price is just not worth it if it had been available in diesel we would go with it immediately.

2. Kia Sonet Htx diesel Automatic: We are sold on this car it is the most value for money and the Htx model comes fully loaded only downside is safety, also from what we have heard the service experience is also very good.

3. Toyota Hyryder Base model petrol: More space and a different segment overall, It seemed value for money a year ago but with price hikes it is almost above 11 would have considered it a year ago, but now Kia Sonet feels a better package overall.

4. Wait for the Next Gen Swift or Xuv 300 both this car I feel the world price is much higher Swift will be petrol only and the Xuv 300 would be above 15L for diesel automatic variants.

5. Just a wild thought Xuv 700 Ax5 diesel automatic, fantastic engine just a no nonsense package but the only things against it are its size and higher price 20L which is well over our budget.

Do share your thoughts are there any other value-for-money options you will pick to use as a beater car under 15L?

Last edited by manofinfinity : 23rd April 2024 at 19:02. Reason: Typo
Old 23rd April 2024, 21:32   #578
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofinfinity View Post
With the following requirements:
1. Diesel automatic is the preference.
2. Needs to be reliable.
3. Spacious and comfortable over long journeys.
4. Safety.
Diesel automatic that is reliable, spacious, comfortable, and safe is difficult unless you go the pre-owned way and look for cars made in 2020 or before : which could work well given you're looking for a beater at the end of the day - XUV500 facelift, Creta diesel, innova crysta etc. are some options that come to mind. In the sedan space can add a Civic, Corolla in but as petrol options. The corolla in my experience is dull to drive, a fuel guzzler, but with a comfy rear seat and good ground clearance - given its average resale value the prove advantage could favor it even with your high running.

In the new car space, your best bet is the Sonet but with questionable safety, average space but you get diesel automatic. The Taigun is that much more spacious and much more safer but with average after sales (we've switched to an independent for our Germans post warranty) and with good offers could make sense. The fuel economy difference on long drives shouldn't be a downer but expect it to guzzle gas in the city traffic.
You could also consider the honda elevate : which could complement your garage well with a fun to drive Vento, and reliable innova and honda.

Lastly the Vento could take over beater duties and rhe XUV700 could slot in nicely though if open to pre-owned : similar pricing could get the previous gen tucson, a tiguan tdi, and even the bmw X1 etc.
Old 23rd April 2024, 23:08   #579

Re: Jimny vs what could be a 3rd car with Thar and SCROSS in the garage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquilab28 View Post
Hello T-BHPians -

2. Have a 2022 MAR THAR, at 45,000 kms. Always driven by me and have made quite a few highway and ORR runs in Hyderabad. Runs well and this is my baby. Excellent condition on the car and I have no complaints with it. Loan still on.

Then comes the Jimny, and for a person who loved the Gypsy and MM540 all my childhood, my heart is now pushing me towards getting the Jimny 2023, mostly because i am getting a really sweet deal. I wouldn't have been this tempted, if it was the earlier pricing, the new pricing just makes me drool and i am trying to consider this only because I have an opportunity to own it, not that I need it.

Another thought process is, I am pretty shocked that i did 45,000 kms in 24 months and I am dreading the thought of my Thar getting used more than it should and i might have shortened the life of my baby. Every time I start the Thar, I am feeling more and more guilty for stressing my THAR (I really feel the Thar is my second kid in the family). I have not used the 4x4 on the THAR more than 10 times may be. Hardly must have put on 1 km on the THAR with 4H//4L. All the running was on 2H.
You made me quite concerned! Thar is an abled car for those numbers. Consider my situation, same number ratio on my Baleno -- 4 years and 85,000km on the odo. The only thing I haven't done and won't do is take it to paddy fields. Otherwise, compulsively I had to take the car to offroad trails in hilly terrains dotted with knee-deep muddy patches and roughest kind of stony surface. That has been a compulsion as the easternmost part of the East-West corridor started by the Vajpayee government hasn't become a reality in these twenty years. But I am still not concerned about my front wheel drive. All I give back to my car is an uncompromising periodical service. And I see no reason you should be concerned about how much the odo displays on your Thar. Good thing that you have tasted your 4x4, most people don't. So you have a proven vehicle in your garage and enjoy it. Who knows, you could be the one with the longest Thar possession and monumental reading on the odo!

As for your other two choices between Jimny and Innova, there's some things you must reconsider. I mean you have considered, but put more stress into that. First is purpose. If you really want a comfortable 'family ride', then forget Jimny. Not because it is a bad car. Jimny is a drooling thing, and you could become one of those few to own both the Thar and Jimny I know. But let your impulse not rob your pocket. Since you already have your Thar, I see no reason to bring the Jimny just to use in similar situations.

Which among these two is better suited is a question for those who don't have either of them and considering to get one. So put more weight towards the family need of a car. It'll help you. Secondly, looking at your considerations, I see there's no rival to your Innova. S-Cross is a good vehicle, but doesn't compensate for the comfort of the Innova. So if you really need an additional vehicle with family comfort during the longer rides, then my vote goes to Innova. So you'll have S-Cross for errands, Thar for your personal rides, and the Innova for your quality time. I am not considering your financial situations, that thing is best known to you only. Trust me, this is an honest opinion based on my considerations, and for the first time dissuading someone from having a Jimny

Last edited by KarthikK : 23rd April 2024 at 23:10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks