Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2016, 15:13   #46
Team-BHP Support

re: The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars

Personal opinion only so feel free to disregard, and please don't be offended.

Going by your initial post, this is a time to put your automotive feelings aside and make a practical financial decision.

Sell whichever car fetches you more money, and would be a bigger drain on your finances short-term if you kept it. Keep the more reliable and cheaper to run car of the two for the few years it takes you to stabilize financially, then re-evaluate your choices.

There will be plenty of time in life to enjoy good cars, NOW is not it, you have more important things on your mind.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 20th May 2016 at 15:16.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 15:21   #47
BHPian

Well, I assume you are in need of money and hence are resorting towards selling one or both of your cars.

I would suggest you sell neither of the cars. You keep the Vento for your family use and if possible, put the Micra into services as an Ola/ Uber cab. Now, based on your location I am not sure how well the Ola/Uber penetration is in your area, but I think it is the best way to get returns from your existing assets (Micra). Also, it is a diesel car, which further reinforces the point of being able to get really good returns on your investment.

If the cab approach is not possible, let go of the Micra, but keep the Vento. The trouble of finding a parking place does not justify you taking a depreciation hit of more than 4 lacs, more so when your financial condition isn't at its best.

Cheers and all the best.

PS: I didn't vote cause keeping both cars is not in the options list of the poll.
drive2eternity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 16:11   #48
BHPian

Just one different option.
Sell both the cars.
Use Zoomcar, Myles, Revv for out-station trips. Use Ola or Uber for city trips.
Since you know that your finances will be in a better shape in 2 years time, plan for a new vehicle only then. Till that time you get to use different cars as and when required.
Old 20th May 2016, 16:23   #49

IMHO, you should keep VENTO because it is a better car between the two. Sell the micra keep half of the money you get from it in fd or liquid form. Use the other half to buy maruti or tata, sbi and icici stocks (auto secotr is booming and banks are very cheap right now)_and don't think about selling either the stocks or the car for next five years.
chances are that after 5 years these stocks will be worth enough that you will be writing a ownership review of some luxury car.
PS. space requirement for parking the micra and vento are almost identical IMHO.
PPS. if you drive sedately the savings from low insurance premiums(NCB + depreciation) should be enough to service your car once a year.
cooolsunny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 16:51   #50
BHPian

My 2 Paisa

You said you need a torquey diesel engine and it seems that's non negotiable.
You also indicate you need some money in hand.

Given this, if i were you, I'd sell the Micra (assuming the cost realized from sale of Micra is good enough for you at the moment).

This way, you still get to drive a very nice torquey diesel car and also have cash in hand to meet your needs. The only gripe in this whole equation is the parking woes, which I think you can live with for a while until you hit a greener patch.

Hope this helps
sudeepg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 17:16   #51
ZMG
BHPian

I suggest keep the Vento.
Your running will not be more than 12K Kms a year, so you don't really have to send the car for a service every year (follow schedules only till covered by warranty)

Sell the Micra only if you get a good amount (More than 3.5 lakhs.)
Otherwise lease it out to OLA / UBER / Travel Company, if that is an option available in your place.
Make some money from that for a year or two, and you will still be able to sell the car for lets say 2.5 - 3 Lakhs.

Vento diesel though a German car, is reliable from what I have read across various ownership reviews.

Moreover, a C segment car gets hit by depreciation a lot more compared to a B segment car.
So it makes sense to keep the Vento.
Bumper to bumper traffic and parking should not really bother you, as most of the times ( say 90 percent of time) you will be able to find a space to park which is big enough for the Vento.

New car does not make any sense. Selling a C segment and going for a B segment does not make sense.
Save for a few years, and get a car when you have saved up and really feel the need for it.
A Vento will keep you smiling for the next 7 years at least.

FYI: We have a 12 year Honda City, clocked over 1 Lakh KM, and I still do not want to sell it. There are no real upgrades available today at the same price point ( 10 - 15 Lakhs) when I consider a city run about car, where comfort is the highest priority. I don't care when a few Indicas and Swift Dzires overtake me in the city, I know I will wave him hello at the next signal in about 3 minutes.

Cheers,
ZMG
ZMG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 17:33   #52
BHPian

As far I as i get it, you need some money and a car. You are apprehensive about the Vento and not happy with the Micra. I would suggest sell both and get the Figo base model -

- You get a good city and highway car
- Great diesel FTD car which satiates your need for torque
- Reasonable maintenance. Nothing at 2500 KMS, around 1800 at 10k and around 4.5-5.5 k per 10k.
- You still save some money in your bank.
- Relatively and perceptually safer at lesser cost
- The cars that you keep are any which way depreciating. Micra will not fetch much later. Vento's maintenance will be uncertain and costly.

The thing is you have to take some hit, why not take a hit and be happy and tension free instead.

PS- I own the Aspire. My opinions may be colored.
AKTRACK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 17:38   #53
BHPian

Hey thoma !!

I have not submitted any Poll for your thread and rather have a completely different opinion for your dilemma. Enlisting the points as under :
  1. The buyback of the Micra and the Vento will fetch you peanuts against what you paid for it. You will get around 60-65% of the Value that you actually paid for the 3 years old machines.
  2. Considering the fact that both your cars have a High Maintenance Cost and with 3 years already gone, it will invite you to splurge on them; it's a matter of time - sooner or later. So better to get rid of both of them and think of buying a car at the same cost
  3. Buying the Figo is definitely a brilliant option for the 100 BHP Engine but you will sorely miss out on the boot space of your Vento. Moreover, the build quality of the Figo & the Aspire is no more like the previous generation Fords.
  4. In case you buy the Figo, the remaining 250K will not even fetch you 20K Interest if saved in a Fixed Deposit. Instead think of saving on the running & the maintenance costs in the future by paying a little extra as a capital cost
  5. Would suggest to go in for the Ford ECOSPORT instead which will fit in your budget considering the buyback that you will get for both the old cars

The advantages of the Ford ECOSPORT :
  • Sub 4 Meter Vehicle so parking will definitely not be an issue
  • Solid Build Quality of Ford
  • The Peppy 1.5 TDCi Engine
  • Overall Cabin Comfort (with the gizmos) and the additional Boot Space for the Long Drives
  • Ford Service Costs are indeed comparatively on the lower side - can comment being a Ford User
  • Ford Provides 2+2 Years Extended Warranty at a reasonable cost which is advisable to be taken
  • It's a good city vehicle as handles like a hatch
  • Has good highway presence as well
  • Good Fuel Efficiency as well
  • Tried and tested product in the market

This is a dilemma which all of us face whenever the discussion of replacing a Car comes up and I hope I did not confuse you further by any means. This is what I would have done, if I was in your shoes.
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 18:14   #54
Senior - BHPian

Oh my! Overwhelming responses here and thanks all.

What I would love = get peace of mind selling off the Vento (apprehensive of the future costs) and Micra (dissatisfied with pathetic NVH) and get a Figo. New car is a real boost to the mind. I do not mind about the bells and whistles, all I care is about solid build and maintenance costs. Even the base model is okay for me but for the passenger ORVM.

But what is ideal = live with the Micra for now.
  • I should mention that it is not just for money that I sell one. It is needless to keep both cars since dad is no more with us. I do not want to keep on depreciating money for no better cause. Of course my wife could take out my car for the odd errand and that is where the picture of parking becomes gross. Ours is a small town with narrow lanes and limited parking and she is comfortable with the Micra and the Figo, but not as much with the Vento and the Swift. But we definitely do not need two cars for that odd jobs.
  • No I do not really need the boot space I think. If we had gone for the Polo instead of the Vento initially, there would not have been such a thread here. I would have suffered the apprehension of VW over its' build quality.
  • Anyone know about OLA / Uber leasing in Kerala?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
As you can already see, you are getting divergent opinions to your first two questions. And in the end, would you be happy to go with what the community has chosen? The head vs heart debate is not something that a community can perhaps decide.
You nailed it, but the community has offered a range of options that I have not even thought of. Selling both and getting a used, leasing out one, so and so. And definitely a lot about the characteristics and maintenance of the cars in question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Going by your initial post, this is a time to put your automotive feelings aside and make a practical financial decision.
Totally agree that I have to hold my horses at present. I think this will be the ideal decision on the issue, but it has to be seen if I stick on to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolsunny View Post
Use the other half to buy maruti or tata, sbi and icici stocks (auto secotr is booming and banks are very cheap right now)_and don't think about selling either the stocks or the car for next five years.
chances are that after 5 years these stocks will be worth enough that you will be writing a ownership review of some luxury car.
(I would love to hear more on this through the private messenger)
thoma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 18:26   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
all I care is about solid build and maintenance costs.
Ford's Solid Build is no longer there with the New Figo buddy. Sorry to repeat myself again Apart from that you get mostly what you want or are in need of. Thus suggested the Ecosport as a better bet for you given the circumstantial requirement of yours. Sleep over it for sometime and re-think. Whatever the decision, I hope that you do not have to ponder over such a situation after 3 years again where you will crib about the build quality seeking which you bought the Figo. Cheers and best of luck
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 18:49   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
What I would love = get peace of mind selling off the Vento (apprehensive of the future costs) and Micra (dissatisfied with pathetic NVH) and get a
Fair enough reasons to let go of both.

With a new car, insurance will be higher initially, but considering you will insure one car in place of two, there should not be much increase on this part. Ditto for maintenance costs.

So may be look for a replacement, then ?
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 18:50   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
Whatever the decision, I hope that you do not have to ponder over such a situation after 3 years again where you will crib about the build quality seeking which you bought the Figo.
Exactly my concern with the Figo. A single test drive revealed it. But it is way better than the Micra whose gear and pedals are too clunky and engine noise creeps into the cabin way too much. And I should add on top that the Swift was miles ahead than both.

I would love to have the Ecosport but is a bit out of budget and the running cost too matters.

Last edited by thoma : 20th May 2016 at 19:12.
Old 20th May 2016, 20:09   #58
BHPian

A different approach over the Financial decision

Sell the Vento and the Micra.

Vento is high on maintenance but a super peppy engine which can be experienced only on the highway or a road with painless traffic.

Micro is a good small car, but painful on maintenance / rear seat issues.

Invest in a Nano for sometime. While the car is small, it is good to navigate in the city. Invest the remaining amount in a bank / stocks or what not and wait for the financial trauma to come down. Once things are settled, upgrade to a car of your choice.

The market is flooded with cars and more manufacturers are dumping their cars in the market. You might be able to upgrade with a much better car in future.

Diesel vs Petrol, matters only when you look at the price, the difference which is narrowing daily in Bangalore. Since it is going to be bumper to bumper traffic driving, how is it going to matter if you have a 60 HP engine or a 200 HP engine.

But this is your matter on how you wish to see yourself.

Also my boss drives from ITPL to Hoodi a distance of mere 5 kms in a BMW. He comes to office in peak traffic and leaves office in peak traffic. So finally it boils down to one's own needs
darkbull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 20:27   #59
BHPian

The first few things you need to ensure are that :-

1) Earning members have adequate life insurance.

2) All family members are covered with a good family floater health insurance plan ( take one even if your company provides )

3) 4-6 months of your monthly household expenses saved up in the form of cash or any highly liquid financial instrument.

These are what financial planners typically advise. If you need to sell your vehicles to especially for point 3), you need to ASAP.

My advice would be to sell both and buy a top end pre-worshipped diesel hatchback. I believe that should cost atmost 6 lakhs. Save the rest and you can even indulge a bit on the car ( Remap, Interiors, rattles and niggles etc ).

Last edited by anand_lukose : 20th May 2016 at 20:29. Reason: Grammar
anand_lukose is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 20:33   #60
BHPian

At a pure "car" perspective; keep the vento. That boot space will be a boon on highway runs, even though the runs are a few.

Pros of keeping the vento:
1.More interior space
2.Boot space
3.Better car for the highway (stability and comfort)
4.Has run only 16000km

Cons:
1. VW service and reliability
2. Cost of maintenance
3. Parking

Pros in favour of the micra:
1.Small car - great for city use
2.Hassle free parking
3.Japanese reliability

Cons:
1.Refinement and NHV levels
2.Interior space
3.Impractical boot for those highway runs
The following point is not a con, but a point nonetheless
4.Has run 25000kms (more than the vento, yet very less)

Do factor in the percentile loss between cost of buying and cost of selling. Considering the vento cost more and the fact that you will be unable to buy another big car for some time, keep the vento. Compared to the vento you will be losing lesser money selling the micra.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks