Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2017, 18:40   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
It's best you sell the Laura now. Your Etios can easily serve you without hassles for the next 4 years. Coming to the replacement if you plan to use it, then you should wait for the octy vrs or settle for the compass diesel as you are fine with a MT car. If it's for your mom you should consider the Tucson as it offers a decent package for the price. If you can stretch by a few Lakhs then the Tiguan makes a strong case. Considering your parents age it's best you stick to these crossovers/compact SUV's. Happy shopping!
So ended up doing the complete opposite.

Came very close to booking the Tiguan for myself - as mom hates climbing into a car (I was about to leave for the VW showroom to finalize the car). But something just wasn't very convincing about it - especially from a performance front. Head v/s heart with the vRS also in the picture; and also not getting to drive the remapped Laura that often and seeing it being driven by the driver.

The X1 was too flashy, and too cramped.

Ended up booking a Corolla VL AT for mom, and going to be using the Laura for myself again.

Etios had to go as some recent traffic spells have increased my commute time by 30-35%, and no matter where I go - there is Metro work happening and traffic snarls. So decided to get a Corolla - from one no-nonsense car to another.

Hope to retain this for many years to come!

What really worked in it's favour:
- comfortable city ride quality
- jerk free CVT transmission on my two test drives
- the only car at home barring the S-Cross that can accommodate 3 passengers in the back thanks to it's flat floor.
- peace of mind! There is no better abuse friendly car I can give to the driver!
- Rear seats! Perfect height, and can be reclined!
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2017, 11:57   #212
BHPian

Hi all - I am in a dilemma situation! This year has been really good for me. I got an Alto K10 AMT this February and it's a fun and no nonsense ride till now. I am getting promoted again next month and apart from increase in salary, I am eligible for car lease. Eligible car value is 10Lakhs OTR. I am tempted to change my car again! I have bought the Alto on a loan , a credit card based Insta loan since I needed some extra money. Here is what I am thinking:

1. Alto resale will be very bad since I haven't completed 1 year of ownership. I can sell it off for a loss and buy a new one within 10L budget. Tata Zest and Nexon is what I have in mind. The tax benefits of car lease is the major factor behind this thinking.

2. Don't sell and don't buy anything. Let it be as it is.

3. Retain Alto and buy the new car as second car. But then EMI for Alto will be an additional burden.

Bhpians - need your inputs on this!

Thank in advance!
Old 27th August 2017, 13:16   #213
Team-BHP Support

The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Hi all - I am in a dilemma situation!

Bhpians - need your inputs on this!

Thank in advance!

From what you've outlined I'd say maintain status quo. From what you described above

1. Sale of existing car is loss making;
2. Buying an additional car is a bit of a burden;
3. The options you're looking at aren't really based on changing requirement or anything.
4. It's not like your financial situation has changed by 2x or 3x. It's a incremental progression.

On a related note, please also check whether the car lease option still is all it's made out to be on tax front post gst.

I'd say it's one of those situations where you pulled the trigger on a capex item and shortly after your budget changed a bit. Such things happen in life. Just use the extra cash towards savings and enjoy your new car. Maybe these savings will help you buy an even better car when you actually need a proper upgrade.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Axe77 : 27th August 2017 at 13:19.
Axe77 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 05:20   #214
Senior - BHPian

The company leased car isn’t as good an option as you think it is.

1. The vehicle finance company your company uses for corporate leases generally charges one or two percent more interest than banks so more goes out of your pocket, ok it can be deducted from your taxable income but still...

2. You become the second owner of the vehicle once you take it out of company lease and resale value falls. Not as much of the issue if you keep the car for eight to ten years.

3. If you quit the company midway through the lease, redeeming the car and clearing your loan in one shot becomes necessary. And may bite your pocket so be aware.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 08:16   #215
BHPian

Thank you Axe77 and Hserus! I understand the implications of it. Also I need to verify the tax benefits post GST era. I know that they are giving out new leases post GST. Regarding the point of quitting the company , I can be sure of it. I have been with my current organisation for more than 5 years! Of course, not sure what the future will hold. As sadi by Axe77, I will maintain status quo and see how things pan out. Thank you both!
sairamboko is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 09:23   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Thank you Axe77 and Hserus! I understand the implications of it. Also I need to verify the tax benefits post GST era. I know that they are giving out new leases post GST. Regarding the point of quitting the company , I can be sure of it. I have been with my current organisation for more than 5 years! Of course, not sure what the future will hold. As sadi by Axe77, I will maintain status quo and see how things pan out. Thank you both!
At least in the IT industry .. my last two jobs, I served 8 years and 7 years respectively. In any case it does make sense to keep your existing car and not use a corporate lease right now. It can wait a few years.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 15:31   #217
Senior - BHPian

Interesting quandary! I would like to bring in my situation and see what others think of my options

I have a 2009 Jazz that has run 70k kms being used for my daily commute (25 kms one way, most of it b2b) and a 2015 Nano twist XT that has run 10k kms, being used by my wife for short trips.
It seems that the daily commute is taking its toll. A lot of parts have started creaking now; in my body ie.
I would like to go in for an automatic, preferably diesel. But we do use the Jazz also for weekend trips and the occasional Goa run. I tried Zoomcar as an option, but am not so enthused by the hygiene (or lack of it) and also the availability at short notice.

Here are my options:
1. Sell the Jazz, keep the nano and buy a used Laura AT. Or a Vento Tsi or DSG
2. Sell the nano, keep the jazz and buy a GT tsi. Not sure whom the GT will end up with finally
3. keep both and shut up for some more time. Non bhpian recommended option
4. Sell both and buy 2 new cars. Recommended option by bhpians, not feasible for the pocket though.
Old 28th August 2017, 16:04   #218
Senior - BHPian

I have an Amaze - similar problem with uncomfortable seats and body creaks, and I don't quite want to spend rather more than what the loss on selling the car would be on fixing my back problem. So bought a Fiesta (supremely comfortable seats) for my highway travel.

Keep the nano for your wife's travel, or sell it and give her the Jazz. Buy a good highway cruiser that has comfortable seats. Whole thread on that too. Try them all and see which fits your back / thighs etc better. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...est-seats.html
Old 28th August 2017, 16:07   #219
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post

Here are my options:
1. Sell the Jazz, keep the nano and buy a used Laura AT. Or a Vento Tsi or DSG
2. Sell the nano, keep the jazz and buy a GT tsi. Not sure whom the GT will end up with finally
3. keep both and shut up for some more time. Non bhpian recommended option
4. Sell both and buy 2 new cars. Recommended option by bhpians, not feasible for the pocket though.
The Nano is young, whereas the Jazz is now 8 years old and has clocked several kms. While it may be reliable, it would make sense to replace that first; and maybe the Nano after a little while.

A used Laura AT makes sense, but get a low mileage example from a later batch (more goodies, and better reliability). Barring small niggles, our Laura AT DSG has been quite reliable for most part.
Ideally - pick a car that has not received the dreaded update; and then run away from all the A.S.S.
If your car has the update - there are some issues that have cropped up on a handful of cars which you should watch out for (biggest one being rpm increase to 950 with AC on, for DPF regeneration); and don't pick up that example.

Coming to the car - I'd pick a sparingly used Laura DSG over a new Vento TDi DSG - more reliable, more modern, more features, more comfortable, etc.

Alternately, you can look at other vehicles such as the EcoSport AT / pre-owned Creta AT too.
Old 28th August 2017, 16:37   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
The Nano is young, whereas the Jazz is now 8 years old and has clocked several kms.
What is the life of a Jazz vs the expected life of a Nano? Do you expect a nano even lightly used to last beyond 3..4 years?
Old 28th August 2017, 17:37   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I have an Amaze - similar problem with uncomfortable seats and body creaks, [/url]
With my daily commute, my body is creaking all over; shoulder, lower back, knee, heel and of course the head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
A used Laura AT makes sense, but get a low mileage example from a later batch (more goodies, and better reliability).

Alternately, you can look at other vehicles such as the EcoSport AT / pre-owned Creta AT too.
While I am known to be attracted to discontinued cars, I am a bit spooked about Skoda anyway. Though I like the Laura overall, I need a car that runs without issues/ doesnt sit in the garage waiting for parts.

Somehow, I cannot bring myself to buy a Maruti or a Hyundai. My first car was a Zen, so I really dont know what is the reason though.

If I summarise my requirements, I want to buy a German car with Japanese reliability

Quote:
What is the life of a Jazz vs the expected life of a Nano? Do you expect a nano even lightly used to last beyond 3..4 years?
For its intended use within a radius of 10km, I dont see any problem with the Nano for the next 5 years. Interestingly, I exchanged my earlier Nano (4years old, run 25k kms) for this new one only for the power steering and bigger fuel tank. Of course, there were other changes, but they were not the key reasons to swap.
If I leave the Jazz as is, I am sure it would chug along for more than 5 years. But then where would I be able to fit an automatic?
Old 28th August 2017, 17:37   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Honestly, the 2009 Jazz was quite well built, but a lot of the cars I see today have aged fairly.
It is still a 8 year old car, clocked 70Kkm. It will need work sooner than the Nano would, and the Nano with an extended warranty would be cheaper to maintain as well; and for strictly city driving and for the better half - it would be a lot more convenient too if she isn't a petrol head - no parking headaches, easy to manoeuvre, good visibility etc. Especially in Pune traffic!!

Not to forget the Jazz is the primary car, and has clocked the most depreciation by now. If he hasn't carried out suspension and brake work - those would be coming up shortly, along with a new clutch and other items (b2b driving is where the most wear and tear takes place); and that Honda parts aren't exactly cheap.

Plus - his heart wants a new car, something a little more fun and convenient.

EDIT: Since you don't want to risk Skoda reliability, and are open to pre-owned, why not consider other brands? Civic/Corolla/Accord, etc.?

Last edited by lamborghini : 28th August 2017 at 17:39.
Old 28th August 2017, 19:37   #223
Senior - BHPian

Might consider a small hatch with airbags and a reasonable build quality. The Figo Titanium or Polo for example. Decent deals in the used market.
Old 29th August 2017, 12:52   #224
BANNED

Hi Guys, need your nuanced advice for my Garage Dilemma.

The Garage contains 3 Cars which are used by 4 People. Till last week we had 1 driver but we have added another. In point wise I'll try and explain the Cars with their old and current usage.

1. 2009 Honda Civic 1.8 MT - Used to be my DD, love it to bits especially the engine and the all 4 independent suspension. Clutch is a pain in the knee during bumper to bumper traffic. Now the same is used by the Parents with a Driver. Requires about 1L to bring it to Day 1 condition. Would love to keep this as a weekend car but don't know actually how much it'll be used as it's a MT & as a DD is taking a toll on me.

2. 2015 Honda City MT - Was used by Parents with a Driver and now used by the Wife with a Driver as her right knee is having some issues. The wife for the foreseeable future would be using the Driver. Already run 40k in 2 years and we don't plan to keep it beyond 5 years as nobody is fond of the car, backseat has no fans in my parents, NVH over bumps is disgustingly bad and it's a MT. Major reason why I would want to keep the Civic is because of its Sublime ride.

3. 2017 VW Polo GT TSi AT - Used to be the Wife's DD and now used by me. Love this car but I'm having an issue accepting this as my DD. Fantastic to Drive, has all gizmos I care about but is small and feels small, even though space in terms of my usage is more than enough. Also the mental block of a technical downgrade.

So keeping the Cars in mind. I took a TD of the Corolla Automatic Petrol. Our aim when buying cars is to have a balance between being FTD and reliable. I'm aware that the Corolla is an aberration to that. Only negative of the Corolla is the NVH over bumps, not as bad as the City but not as good as the Civic. Now we want our cars to be be Petrol and Automatic irrespective of the KM usage.

Also, keeping a 4th Car adds Rs 3.600 per year for Parking the same.

Options I'm thinking about with the aim of having 4 cars, 1 Small and 3 Mid or Large.

1. Repair the Civic and continue as it is. Me driving the Polo, City used by the Wife and Civic by the Parents. This will put us in somewhat of an issue 3 years down the line.

2. Buy the Corolla/Tuscon/Alternative and Keep the Civic. Replacement would be used by my parents or Wife. Corolla would last for 10 years easy. Then change City 3 years hereafter.

2. Sell the Civic and buy something for myself. Then the City will go back to the Parents and Polo with a Driver goes back to My Wife. Wife is more than ok with this but in my head Polo with a Driver is not making sense.

3. Repair the Civic and accept the Polo and continue till we have to replace the City and take a decision then.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

I, apologise for any spelling or grammar mistakes as well as any flow issues. I wrote this on my phone and without collecting my thoughts, properly.
Old 29th August 2017, 13:15   #225
Senior - BHPian

Repairing your Civic will take a lakh and that is the cheapest of all the options. Maybe force your driver to stop leaning on the clutch as well once the clutch is replaced. Try to figure out a competent neighbourhood garage to further reduce your repair costs especially the body and paint related work.

For three years you’re spending a lakh rather than selling any of those cars at a loss right now and then plunking down more money for a new ride.

That way you have recovered your initial investment on the cars, and can sell with a clear conscience.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks