Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2019, 14:07   #316
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Hey guys,

I'll strictly change one car right now. I just don't have the risk appetite to change both, neither do I have the money!

My concern is, if I change to X1, it may not really feel like as much of an upgrade. When you bring practical considerations (read: discounts) into play, something like (base) X1 may cost in the late 20s, whereas the C class 35, and 3 series 45! So, don't think I can consider too many other cars. I can try the pre-owned route, but there may not be much difference in EMI, given the higher rate of interest and lower tenure on used cars.

If I change the Ecosport, I fear that my itch to upgrade will keep bugging me even after I get hold of an auto. The other thing is - if I upgrade my secondary car, then I'll keep my budget more tightly in check (Seltos DCT OOB then) than if I upgrade my primary car.
Your Jetta looks SWEET!

I'd actually suggest two options for you to think about, and given the attachment to the Jetta and the dismal resale value - it would be better to sell the EcoSport.

Now for the replacement options:
1) Pick up a new AT SUV - but not the typical Seltos, etc. but look for deals on the Tucson & Tiguan Comfortline. The added power, slightly bigger dimensions make a huge difference in the way these vehicles drive compared to the Creta / Seltos.

2) Pick up a something fun, say a petrol Octavia 1.8 TSi or even a Polo GT TSi. The Jetta is there for when you need to be practical - may as well have fun on your daily commute.
Old 9th December 2019, 14:24   #317
BHPian

Would not recommend the X1 as an upgrade to the Jetta at all. Except for the BMW badge, you will not get any more driving pleasure out of it than you are already getting from your Jetta.

As others have suggested, please hold on to the Jetta until you are ready to upgrade to a RWD sedan. This will be a proper upgrade in terms of driving pleasure.

In terms of the current upgrade, please consider replacing the Ecosport with a sparingly used Mini Cooper / Countryman S. It's the perfect "second" car, isn't it?
Old 3rd January 2020, 18:37   #318

Quote:
Originally Posted by udave View Post
Still have some time to decide, so any inputs would help!
So, finally I was able to make up my mind with some help from the year end discounts from Mahindra on Marazzo and went ahead with Mahindra Marazzo M8!

Thanks everyone for the help with the swap from Punto to Marazzo!!

udave.
Old 22nd January 2020, 08:13   #319
BHPian

Hey guys,

Me and my dad are in a dilemma wondering which car to go for, after selling our Innova Crysta 2.4GX. Let me clearly put this:

We have four cars:
  • W212 facelift E250
  • VW Polo GT TSI
  • Innova 2.4 GX
  • Honda Amaze

3 people out of 4 in our family drive, The Crysta was bought in Summer for my dad to be driven around in when not using the E, but soon he didn't like being driven around and preferred to drive. Few months and 12k kms later, he feels this car is too big to drive in the city and feels "heavy". So he's thinking about replacing the Innova with a KIA Seltos 1.4 DCT.

I have suggested him to go for a Skoda Rapid 1.5TDI Manual. As the car will be driven by me too when I want to. He doesn't have a preference of Manual or Auto for this car as we already have 2 Automatics. This car would be mostly used in the city and weekly/monthly drives to the farm 50kms away. Also I've been getting addicted a lot to the sheer power and torque driving my friend's stage 2 1.6TDI Vento and would mostly go Stage1+ if we get the Rapid to beat my want for torque

Would greatly appreciate if you all could help me with this situation, Thank you all in advance.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 22nd January 2020 at 08:38. Reason: Formatting
Old 23rd January 2020, 00:23   #320
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harish View Post
Hey guys,

3 people out of 4 in our family drive, The Crysta was bought in Summer for my dad to be driven around in when not using the E, but soon he didn't like being driven around and preferred to drive. Few months and 12k kms later, he feels this car is too big to drive in the city and feels "heavy". So he's thinking about replacing the Innova with a KIA Seltos 1.4 DCT.

I have suggested him to go for a Skoda Rapid 1.5TDI Manual. As the car will be driven by me too when I want to. He doesn't have a preference of Manual or Auto for this car as we already have 2 Automatics. This car would be mostly used in the city and weekly/monthly drives to the farm 50kms away. Also I've been getting addicted a lot to the sheer power and torque driving my friend's stage 2 1.6TDI Vento and would mostly go Stage1+ if we get the Rapid to beat my want for torque .
I wouldn't recommend replacing the innova so early purely for depreciation reasons.
Instead, leave it be for the fourth family member who is chauffeured as well as the odd farm trips, and replace the Amaze (assuming it's the older generation which would be a lot more dated) with something like the Seltos / Venue (which should keep you fairly happy judging by reviews).

In either scenario - I wouldn't recommend a vento / rapid purely because it will be too similar to the Polo already in the garage (which anyways has great performance and can be remapped too).
I'd actually instead look at striking a deal for an Octavia 2.0TDi Manual instead (though auto would be my personal pick for City driving) - which by the way is very very tuneable and should be available at a decent deal subject to availability.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 22:57   #321
BHPian

Hi Gurus,
I am in a dilema since quite a few months now, sharing so that I might get some perspective. My garage comprises of the following:
1. 2017 Alto K10 VXI (O) manual - with single airbag, run 17k with stock tyres and Morel maximo components
2. 2007 TVS Apache 150 with RTR 180 engine, and RTR 160 cycle parts with Masseters front and back - run approx 1.10 lac kms total
My usage is: Daily commute to office with wife as pillion on bike through very heavy Whitefield traffic with broken roads and giant car/ bike breakers & stupid unscientific plastic speedhumps (45 total, I counted ).
The car runs mostly on weekends and for any highway runs due to age of the bike (although it is extremely reliable and fun still).
Of late I feel the car to be out of its depths in highways, due to the light body, high vertical movement, jarring ride quality, small wheels and utmost lack of safety (I doubt the airbag would do anything much in a crash).
We do love travelling a lot, by road most of our trips are 300+ kms. In fact, we did Bangalore to Kanyakumari with me driving 8 - 10 hours non stop (apart from food and bio breaks).
Also, the car isn't very comfortable for long journeys, due to which parents / in laws or even friends don't really want to join us for the drive. I got lower back pain after the Kanyakumari trip due to lack of lumbar support in the seat (probably can be fixed with cushioning etc). The engine is extremely sprightly though and it touches 130 in 3rd gear, although I don't feel confident taking it above 120 - it feels like it will literally start flying - I even keep tire pressure low to 31-32 to try improving the ride which is harsh when unloaded and bouncy when loaded. The light steering worsens the handling and car is all over the place in cross winds or undulating surfaces. Probably a better tire with 165 section can improve this, but car definitely needs a better suspension setup along with stiffening up at right places.
Since my bike is 13 years old now, I need to change it now, with parts difficult to find and my wife complains of back pain, even with new shock absorbers at rear probably since our weight with bags and all crosses 160kgs.
I can afford a bigger car now, but wife wants an automatic SUV (Nexon or Ecosport or something similar) since she learnt driving recently but hasn't yet got the hang of manual yet - maybe due to the poor bottom end torque of the K10B motor, she enjoyed driving the K12 Swift though. Also, parents & in laws want something which has easy ingress and egress (both live in different cities). Would any hatchback / sedan suit our requirement, or should I stretch ahead for a CSUV like Nexon or Ecosport?
Need suggestions, what should I do?
- Change both car and bike? If so which ones
- Change bike and wait for car EMI to complete in 2022, upgrade the car tires to Michelins, get damping done and new HU, better seat covers with cushioning etc
Looking at the options, most of the automatic CSuv are 11 lacs plus on road and lower models of Nexon are under- equipped except XZ+.
There is parking space for only one car and couple of bikes in my apartment.
I have about 3 lacs saved, the car will probably go for around 4 lacs if sold. On top of that can increase current car EMI to 4-5k additional for 5 years. So total of 10 lacs for both combined.
Pre - worshipped are totally vetoed out by wife and parents, although I am open to the idea - makes good financial sense.
With the current BS4 discounts running, any good options?
My driving style is defensive with a bit of aggression to keep cabs and swiggy/ Zomato riders at bay. On highways, I drive at 100, max 110 if roads are excellent due to the unpredictable nature of the traffic and people. I love going on small bike trips (rented a few incl CBR, Himalayan, Thunderbird 500, Jawa) but long trips are mostly on car due to comfort and luggage carrying capacity
Few of my shortlists in order of preference

Car
Shortlists:
1. Ecosport Trend - petrol manual
2. Aspire / Figo / Freestyle - anyone is fine though I like the diesel more
3. Tata Altroz - but almost the price of Nexon, and again lower variants are underspecced, no TBhp review yet
4. Tata Nexon - XZ? or Kraz variant if automatic - petrol
5. i20 - not a fan of it though, feels unexciting to drive
6. Jazz CVT?
7. Venue ? Dont like the way it looks though

Ruled out:
- Marutis, Volkswagen & Skoda

Fuel preference: none.

Motorcycle
Shortlists:
1. CB300R - Overpriced, but love its flickability and light weight. Motor has very good low end punch unlike 250r which needed frequent gear changes esp when with pillion. Pillion seat is comfortable enough too, with a back rest.
2. Dominar - Don't mind the weight though coudn't connect with it in short test ride I got (Bajaj is extremely stingy for test rides, the bike started jerking due to lack of fuel on the flyover). Need to take it for rent for a day or two to understand. Also, too many niggles, and Bajaj service is not upto the mark.
3. Himalayan - love its ability to flatten roads and swallow everything in its stride. Does heat up quite a lot in traffic, burnt my calf once. Quality and RE service are a big question mark. Also, no tubeless tires. No plans to go hardcore off roading. Most comfortable of the lot
4. 650 twins - absolutely adore the engine, but the ergos are a bit strange for both though like the conti's relatively rear set footpegs but not the low handlebars. Also, the engine heated up quite a bit with the exhaust being very hot - could harm the pillion is not careful. Pillion foot pegs are also weirdly placed, too high and back. Seats also need mods. Probably too much for daily commutes and occasional trips
5. FZ25/ RTR 200 - if nothing fits, would go for either one

Ruled out:
1. Jawa - due to poor commitment from company, quality issues. Engine is excellent, everything else is not. Also, ratios too short for highway rides
2. Ns200 - too high seat, wife hates Pulsars
3. RE 350 - definitely needs better engines. Service is a big unknown, would rather buy Himalayan or 650 twins
4. Mojo - was a preference last year, but the future of the Mahindra 2w is a big unknown.
5. Ninja 300 - beyond budget, low ground clearance.
6. R3 - beyond budget. My fav though, wife hates the high seat
7. Benellis - not heard good things about service
8. Dukes - too loud, frentic and orange. Also, coolant and oil mixing and other niggles.
9. Gixxer 250/SF - pillion seat not comfortable and high. I liked the bike though

Will be renting out Dominar, Himalayan and Interceptor for a better understanding of which suits me better.

Can wait for few more months if worth it (have been waiting for 2 years with an itch to upgrade my bike).
Any suggestions for this confused soul

Thanks,
Mayank
Old 8th February 2020, 13:55   #322
Senior - BHPian

Here's my dilemma...

I bought a new Celerio ZXi (O) AMT in 2016 and then a pre-worshipped 2013 Fortuner 4x4 MT in 2017.

The idea was that my wife would be using the Celerio while I use the Fortuner. Fortuner 4x4 was also bought given our frequent highway runs and regular long trips to the mountains.

I've joined my wife's business recently and now we don't really need a second car. Its good to have a small automatic in the city and we love Celerio in those times but its mostly just one car on the road at any given time since we're always together. Plus, my wife hasn't started driving on her own yet.

We also have a Honda City & Jazz in the family but those aren't really my cars.

The dilemma is whether to sell Celerio and retain Fortuner MT 4x4 or sell both and get a 2015 or 2016 4x4 AT Fortuner from the money I get after selling both cars.

The Fortuner has run 140k kms, has a brand new clutch, AT tyres that've run less than 1k kms, new suspension that I got 3 months back, new brake discs, new brake pads - basically the car is in top shape.

But for the limited amount of time I used Celerio AMT or Jazz AT, I realized that AT convenience can't be beaten. I'm not into hardcore off-roading but need a 4x4 for my annual snow & dune runs.

So again, should I buy a 2015/16 AT 4x4 Fortuner for 18-19 lakhs (after selling both cars) or retain the MT 4x4 Fortuner and sell Celerio for whatever amount I can between 3.5-4 lakhs and use it for a holiday abroad.
Old 8th February 2020, 14:44   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
So again, should I buy a 2015/16 AT 4x4 Fortuner for 18-19 lakhs (after selling both cars) or retain the MT 4x4 Fortuner and sell Celerio for whatever amount I can between 3.5-4 lakhs and use it for a holiday abroad.
Hi mate, relax. It requires big money if you want a single car to serve all purposes. You have an ideal garage now - a convenient AT hatchback and a capable MT 4x4 SUV - which can serve you well for the next few years.

It's good to have 2 cars in the garage with contrasting traits. One for city commute and one for the highways. I call it the ideal garage. You'll miss road presence, class and go-anywhere capability if you sell the Fortuner and compactness, convenience and low running cost if you sell the Celerio. A 4x4 AT Fortuner will turn out to be heavier on the pocket as well - fuel bills, tyres, etc - if you use it for road trips, city drives, groceries, basically all purposes.

Rather than overthinking and taking a decision in haste, it would be better to keep both the cars - Celerio for daily use in the city and Fortuner for business meetings and highways. Why invite unnecessarily hassle of searching for another used car (4x4 AT Fortuner) when you have a clean example already?

Last edited by self_driven : 8th February 2020 at 14:46.
self_driven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 22:32   #324
BHPian

Need help to choose car/suv with peculiar requirements

Hi guys, I need some help choosing a car as I have somewhat peculiar requirements that rule out quite a few options. But I hope the good folks here can point me in the right direction.

Bit of background. I had a beautifully maintained 2012 Vento TDI that gave me no problems at all and a equally good 2010 petrol Figo. I sold the Vento recently as I thought I needed to upgrade and got a good deal. Biggest mistake, as I realised that it is very difficult to replace it. Now I am left with only the Figo that me and my wife share.

I have recently made an conscious effort to improve my quality of life by doing things I love the most as much as I can. That means an off road drive at least once a week or once in 2 weeks pursuing my other passion that is wildlife photography. Even more important than off road is the fact that most of these places are 1-2 hours drive away and the roads to get there are of very poor quality and maintenance so good rough road dynamics are important. I may not need 4x4 strictly but high ground clearance is a must. I used to push the Vento in places that no Vento has gone and would manage some times, other times had to turn back. Once we had to physically make a road through deep ruts so my car could pass. However, I use the car at least 5 days a week in city traffic which is where the diesel Vento's heavy clutch was a pain and I vowed that the next car I get would be an auto. The Figo is small and we do go to long trips frequently that need lot of luggage to be carried in the car. So I have come to the following requirements:
- High ground clearance is a must
- Max mid size SUV as it need to manage Pune's small lanes
- Automatic for city use
- Decent boot space
- Budget 10-15 L can max stretch it to 20 at a push but want to avoid
- Like to avoid used BS4 diesels. Used Petrols are fine
- Avoid CVT/AMT gearbox
- Avoid cars more than 10 years old. Ideal would be used 5 yr old

I have thought of 2 ways of going about it: Find a mythical car that meets most of above requirements or compromise on few points. Also if buying used, will not want to spend more than 10L as around 20L there are new options.

Or ; Split the requirement. As the auto bit is mainly for city use and high ground clearance bit is for outdoor use. Get a used auto petrol sedan for city and a manual high ground clearance vehicle for off road use by selling the Figo. But selling another perfectly good car is a bit of a pain.

Considerations for option 1:
Jeep Compass: Fits bill perfectly but is out of my budget and no certainty of FCA plans
Kia Seltos: Stretch budget for diesel Seltos auto. May be the way out but not sure of Seltos ability in off road stuff and the hard ride on rough roads is off putting.
Tata Harrier: Seems good but auto is a bit out of budget and long term reliability and build quality of tata products I feel is not up to mark. Also is a bit large in size with heavy steering and poor low speed manouevrability.
Renault Duster: Love the price and overall package with great ability and rough road manners. Poor interiors will make me regret selling Vento more. May go for used diesel AWD but it is manual and bs4. Also finding a well cared for product is difficult. Only have Petrols in current line up and the auto is CVT.
Ford Ecosport: Very capable on my sort of off road and rough roads. The 3 cylinder petrol auto is very underpowered and struggles especially on ghats/climbs which I encounter a lot. Boot space is not adequate.
Honda CRV : Can find some old model AWD CRV for cheap. CVT gearbox but with AWD tech may be sufficient for my needs. Not best ground clearance, abysmal fuel economy, difficult to find spares and finding a good car may be problematic.

Considerations for option 2:
For offroad use:
New Figo freestyle: Cheaper with good ground clearance and driving manners. Not sure of new Ford plans but can live with one any day.
Tata Nexon manual petrol: Better ground clearance. Slightly more expensive. Wife might find it a bit odd to drive as it will be her primary car.

For city use:
Any used auto sedan with budget remaining after above buy. I suspect 5-8L range. Used Corolla auto would be great as it is like a duracell bunny and goes on and on and on. Need to find once in affordable budget and good condition. Any decent auto car will do here and CVT is also ok for city use which brings into play the Ciaz, City, etc.

What do you guys think? Any other ideas? What route would you prefer? Any help in pointing me in the right direction in Pune if anyone knows any options I could use will be really helpful.
Old 3rd May 2020, 23:19   #325
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need help to choose car/suv with peculiar requirements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsdoc View Post
Kia Seltos: Stretch budget for diesel Seltos auto. May be the way out but not sure of Seltos ability in off road stuff and the hard ride on rough roads is off putting.
Seltos is not suited for even mild off roading. But it has got great ground clearance and can handle bad and half paved roads. It lacks the solid build quality and robustness of a Jeep Compass in such scenarios. My little experience says to have a solidly built vehicle that can conquer such terrains effortlessly. The last thing you want is to worry about your vehicle that would end up taking the sheen and fun out of your wanderlust for wild life photography.

But for your kind of requirement to access various hinterlands in your quest for wild life photography, it would any day make a better proposition to venture out with all guns blazing( read a 4X4 ). You would not want to abort an intriguing spot just because of your car's incapability to get you there. That will be a big downer as you may have neared the spot after hours of travel and effort.

If you can wait, Suzuki Jimny is the best bet and a long term investment if you choose the option of buying a dedicated car for this purpose. A solid car with 4X4 DNA and got some legacy to boot with off road credentials. 12-13 lakhs is the speculated price ex showroom. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...mny-india.html (Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?)

If you are not in a position to wait, try and buy an used Gypsy ( a 4X4 too) in the interim and manage for a year or so till Jimny comes. Gypsy commands a good premium in used car market and you'll not burn a big hole in your pocket when you sell it.

If that option doesn't sound interesting, go for a used 4X4 Duster but a BS4 diesel against your preference. Duster's capability to combat bad roads and mild off roading is well documented.

In short, get a 4X4 surely and don't tread the path with half loaded ammunition - read Nexon , Free style etc

I know i've not provided you a complete suggestion meeting all your requirements but this is my two cents on it.. Happy Hunting !

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 3rd May 2020 at 23:40. Reason: Added more points
Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 23:20   #326
BHPian

How about selling off the Figo and splitting your requirement to -
1. Any good automatic city hatch back such as i10 grand or a pre owned brio etc
2. Pre owned Mahindra Thar or a new one in stock with the dealer

Both these options together will stay in your budget. With the additional amount saved, you can customize your Thar as well
Lambydude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 23:29   #327
BHPian

Your post reminded of my cousin who incidentally lives in Pune and had a similar need of an adventure car for weekends. He bought a used Fortuner and is very happy with his decision. But since you want a mid-sized car, this option is out the window.

A Nexon or a Brezza should do the trick for you. Also, why sell the Figo if it is going strong?
warrioraks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2020, 02:34   #328
Distinguished - BHPian

Few combinations I can think off, by guessing your combined budget for both the cars is Rs 28L.

New Tuv300 MT with Mld + a new C segment AT sedan. (Apart from AT, you will get all you want well within your budget. Tuv300 with Mld is a very capable and abuse friendly car.)

New/preowned Jeep Compass Awd AT/MT + a preowned AT hatchback. (The best combo if you can increase your budget a bit.)

New Tata Hexa AWD + a preowned Corolla. (Hexa will be a longer car than what you require.)

Preowned Duster Awd + a new C segment AT sedan. (Fits your budget, but you need to find a well maintained Duster Awd.)

Last edited by Samba : 4th May 2020 at 02:46.
Samba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2020, 08:43   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Seltos is not suited for even mild off roading.
buy an used Gypsy ( a 4X4 too) in the interim and manage for a year or so till Jimny comes.
go for a used 4X4 Duster but a BS4 diesel against your preference. Duster's capability to combat bad roads and mild off roading is well documented.
In short, get a 4X4 surely and don't tread the path with half loaded ammunition - read Nexon , Free style etc
Thanks mate. Problem with gypsy/Jimny is that whilst they are great offroad, they are not great for long drives and that is one of my requirements for the long trips with luggage every year. We do Pune-Goa regularly. I guess it may bottle down to a Duster. I just need to find a well used awd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
How about selling off the Figo and splitting your requirement to -
1. Any good automatic city hatch back such as i10 grand or a pre owned brio etc
2. Pre owned Mahindra Thar or a new one in stock with the dealer
Problem is the small car will me wife's primary car (the Figo currently is) and the larger one has to be my primary city car, The Thar doesn't fit the bill for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
He bought a used Fortuner and is very happy with his decision. But since you want a mid-sized car, this option is out the window.
A Nexon or a Brezza should do the trick for you. Also, why sell the Figo if it is going strong?
Fortuner too big and Nexon/Brezza too small. I need 1 small car and 1 larger car. The Nexon/Brezza dont have the boot space I need. I would hate to sell the Figo too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Few combinations I can think off, by guessing your combined budget for both the cars is Rs 28L.
No no. My budget for both combined is 10-15 L, 20 L MAX. I would prefer to change only 1 car, but may change both if within budget and my requirements are fulfilled. 1small car and 1 mid size car is what I need.
Old 4th May 2020, 09:50   #330
Senior - BHPian

If you are open to the CRV and Hexa, I think a used Scorpio AT should be in the consideration set.

I would pick the Duster AWD for your needs anyday, or the Ford ecosport, which in my view is like the Polo on the space front. (read cramped, relatively small boot).
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed