Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2020, 10:59   #331

Re: Need help to choose car/suv with peculiar requirements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsdoc View Post
1small car and 1 mid size car is what I need.
If you do off roading once in two weeks, I feel a 4x4 is preferable. My pick would also be Duster AWD.

If you don't find a good used Duster, you can also hunt for good used Yeti/Pajero/Montero/Fortuner. But I guess maintaining Yeti/Pajero/Montero can be difficult unless you have good mechanics by your side.

If you must have a new car, you can also look at a Seltos diesel automatic, there is one HTK plus variant which is well within your budget, if you can live without the creature comforts.

It's true that Kia is neither very good on bad patches nor can it do proper off roading. But given the fact that you did fair amount of off roading with the Vento, you might be able to pull it off with a Seltos! I'm not sure about this, but a suspension upgrade may also help you with this. Gurus, please help us out on this.
Do post your pics when you get your ride!

Last edited by roshanvalsan : 4th May 2020 at 11:21.
roshanvalsan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2020, 11:10   #332
Senior - BHPian

Hi, amsdoc!

I checked out your requirements for a new car just now. IMO why don't you look for a 2015-16 XUV500 like this one - https://www.cardekho.com/used-car-de...0392794DDA.htm ? It's run around 40K Kms but seems to be in good condition and is available for under Rs.10 Lakhs. It's also AWD which should just fine until you do some real hardcore off-roading. It seems to be a pretty good deal if you could bargain and bring the price down to around 9.75 Lakhs.

However, if you are not wanting the XUV, I may have found a gem of a car for you.
A 2009 Honda CRV with a manual (if you want to avoid the AT) with 82,000 KMs being sold for 4.5 Lakhs - https://www.cardekho.com/used-car-de...6A7DDF2600.htm
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2020, 12:01   #333
BHPian

Pre-owned is the way to go. A decent preowned automatic Endeavour or Fortuner will be the perfect solution to your requirements. Else a preowned compact SUV, in case you want to keep the expense to below 10lacs. Good luck!
sam_babushka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2020, 12:42   #334
Distinguished - BHPian

1) Used Fortuner 4x4 AT - But it is huge and lengthy and has the turning radius the side of Texas
2) Used XUV 500 AT AWD - Primarily a softroader and it doesn't offer a superior ground clearance as such (considering its relatively longer wheelbase); but it will be better than a Vento at clearing jutting obstacles
3) Used Scorpio AT
4) Used Hexa AT (but you won't get a AWD AT combo; Hexa AWD is MT only)

Renault Duster AWD isn't AT, but is very capable offroad.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2020, 12:57   #335
BHPian

1) Hyundai Venue DCT for City use, it ticks most of your city car requirements.

2) Get a used Duster AWD, or if it doesn't workout then Ford Freestyle. For off-road use a MT might be more useful than AT.
RaceHorse is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2020, 13:10   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
Hi, amsdoc!

I checked out your requirements for a new car just now. IMO why don't you look for a 2015-16 XUV500 like this one - https://www.cardekho.com/used-car-de...0392794DDA.htm ?

However, if you are not wanting the XUV, I may have found a gem of a car for you.
A 2009 Honda CRV with a manual (if you want to avoid the AT) with 82,000 KMs being sold for 4.5 Lakhs - https://www.cardekho.com/used-car-de...6A7DDF2600.htm
Thank buddy. I hadn't considered the XUV primarily for BS4 diesel but seems interesting. Will definitely think about it. The CRV looks really good but is manual and already 11 years old. Worth considering though. Thaks a lot again for pointing me to these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshanvalsan View Post
If you don't find a good used Duster, you can also hunt for good used Yeti/Pajero/Montero/Fortuner. But I guess maintaining Yeti/Pajero/Montero can be difficult unless you have good mechanics by your side.
Do post your pics when you get your ride!
I love the Yeti...I just wish it came with a auto box. The same heavy clutch as my Vento in city traffic is something I wish to avoid. Not keen on old Mitsubishis as good ones will be expensive to buy and maintain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
If you are open to the CRV and Hexa, I think a used Scorpio AT should be in the consideration set.
Thanks. I find the Scorpio to be unstable and unsafe at speeds and has a very poor safety rating which would rule that out
Old 4th May 2020, 15:22   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thank buddy. I hadn't considered the XUV primarily for BS4 diesel but seems interesting. Will definitely think about it. The CRV looks really good but is manual and already 11 years old. Worth considering though. Thanks a lot again for pointing me to these.
You're welcome!

About the CRV, when I searched on Cardekho's Used Car website, I found multiple A/T CRV's too. I only posted the M/T because you had complained about the CVT . You can search for yourself on Cardekho.
Old 4th May 2020, 17:29   #338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank buddy. I hadn't considered the XUV primarily for BS4 diesel but seems interesting. Will definitely think about it. The CRV looks really good but is manual and already 11 years old. Worth considering though. Thaks a lot again for pointing me to these.
Your welcome!
I only posted the M/T because you had mentioned in your requirements that you didn't like the CRV's CVT. However, if you wish to get a A/T, there are quite a few of them available for sale in Pune in the used market.

But, instead of the CRV I would recommend you to look at XUV500 I had listed above or something like a Jeep Compass.

Alternatively, you could look for a used Jeep Compass 4x4 AT (though they are still relatively expensive around ₹13,00,000-₹15,00,000 for a 2018 top-spec car. You would not have to sell the Figo for this.

2) You could get a Venue 1.0 DCT (or wait for a few months for the Kia Sonet) and a Duster 4x4, if you can find a good example in Pune/Mumbai. You would have to sell the Figo for this option.
Old 22nd June 2020, 00:05   #339
BHPian

Which car to sell?

Hi,

I wanted some advice.

We have 3 cars in the family of 4. Sister is in college and won't be needing a car for atleast another 2 years, I have been in a different city for 2 years and will remain so for the next 2.
- Maruti Dzire 2008 110k km
- Honda City 2010 75k km (bought at 65k km 4 years back)
- Honda City 2014 15k km (really)

Our family running is extremely low (was not so when we made the buying decisions), ~5k km/year now.

I have an impulsive thought to sell one of the cars. Now I am confused as to which car to sell? What are your thoughts, please advice.

1. Sell the 2010 Honda City
Pros:
- Will enable the Dzire and 2014 to be properly utilised.

Cons:
- Car is in great condition with perfect service record.

2. Sell the 2008 Maruti Dzire
Pros:
- It is the oldest (already 12 years done).
- It does not have airbags.

Cons:
- It is a proper beater car.
- It is CNG and cheap to use.
- Don't see much depreciation happening between now and 2 years hence.

3. Retain both
Pros:
- No headache.

Cons:
- All cars are being underutilized.
- Unnecessary maintenance and insurance costs.

What are your thoughts?
How much can I expect for the 2010 City VMT (2nd owner)?
How much can I expect for the Dzire?
What is the best way to sell (is it Olx/CarTrade)?

Please note that I am based out of Delhi and can not get the fitness renewed once car completes 15 years, else would have kept them till their respective ends. :P

I had posted this on the Garage shuffle thread a few days back, got no responses, hence creating a separate post with more details.

Thanks!

Last edited by bansal.sushant : 22nd June 2020 at 00:09.
Old 22nd June 2020, 00:58   #340
BHPian

Re: Which car to sell?

Hi! I would suggest you to sell one of the cars.

At first glance it looks like selling the Dzire is the best option but your situation is a slight predicament as you have two almost same cars.

I would advise to sell the 3rd gen City. For the simple reason that you already have another newer City which is sparingly used and you are the 1st owner too.
The Dzire might not depreciate much if you need to sell 2years later when you are back. Your the 1st owner i guess and it has CNG. Cons are it has covered 110K kms, lacks airbags and is 12 years old.

You can expect about 3.5 to 3.75 for the City and 1.5 to 1.75 for the Dzire. Best way to sell is as an individual via OLX, a proper wash and minor detailing will push up its value significantly.
Old 22nd June 2020, 01:19   #341
Senior - BHPian

Sell the Dzire, because it is the oldest, most run and doesn't have airbags. Plus you will have to sell it in 3 years anyway. Also, the beater car and the CNG doesn't give you any real advantage when you're running 5k kms a year anyway.

This also allows you to keep the 2010 City till 2025, so helps you defer the purchase of a new car by another 2 years. (as compared to if you sold the city now and dzire in 2023)

Last edited by moralfibre : 22nd June 2020 at 09:14. Reason: Typos and SMS language.
Lalvaz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 11:22   #342
Senior - BHPian

Sell the Dzire. It's already 12 years old. In 3 more years you will have to sell it at scrap value (which is really low).

2010 City can easily last 5 more years and can be used as a beater car for ferrying in and around the City.

2014 City can be your highway workhorse.
Old 22nd June 2020, 11:34   #343
Senior - BHPian

Sell the DZire - its a maruti so will give you good resale value. Also its done a lot of km and might now start showing its age.
Old 22nd June 2020, 11:41   #344
Senior - BHPian

Sell the Dzire.

It's driven the most and also has less than 3 years left. Also since the running is so low, CNG doesn't make sense anyways.
Old 22nd June 2020, 11:45   #345
BHPian

Sell Dzire and add CNG to 2010 Honda City and make it your new beater car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks