Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2021, 09:30   #481
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
This says VW Tiguan or the Skoda Superb.

Micra = sell and get a i20N line. Keep the Vento.

Any idea about when the facelifted Tiguan will be launched? Launch has been delayed multiple times... now the VW dealer in our area said late November.

Can anyone confirm this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Okay, I am going to mix up all the three options.

Reasons: Like you rightly pointed out, a ten lakh rupee hatch would not be a better option than the vento. Vento is superior in every way. Your mom would get an upgrade to the jetta, your family favorite.

Coming to the most important part: Given your father is okay with the tiguan, i get it he doesn't mind getting a petrol.
Really liked your advice... do you have an idea of what kind of discounts and OTR price we should be looking at for a top end Superb? We are from Pune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Since all 3 cars are being used, it would make sense to keep all three cars.

As an off beat suggestion, since you mention you'll are happy with compact vehicles : can even look at the Octavia for self driving, or a Camry Hybrid to hand over to your mother and the chauffeur.

How close can a well discounted Audi A4 get compared to a top end Skoda Superb? If it is within 5 lakhs, maybe we can consider that as well.

What kind of discounts can we get on the A4?

Also, my perception is that among the 3 germans, BMW is the most reliable and best built.. hence BMW would be the preferred choice for going the pre owned route... could you confirm that?

MOD NOTE : Trimmed quoted replies & ...

Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules and Posting Etiquettes before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 31st October 2021 at 10:50. Reason: Trimmed quoted replies & back to back posts.
Old 31st October 2021, 09:49   #482
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Huge Conundrum!! New Car between 30-40 lakhs and Sell which old car?

Given your high usage and desire to keep the costs low, I suggest you drop the plans to buy anything from the luxury brands.

Camry hybrid would be a great choice as a new car purchase and it is perfect for high mileage usage.

Keep the Jetta, it's a good car and can be used both by your mom and dad along with Camry. This offers flexibility to use both cars by both your parents.

Replace Micra with a Polo or i20 N Line. Or use Vento if you are not keen on a hatch.
androdev is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 10:00   #483
Senior - BHPian

Your dad is self driven and honestly the tiguan allspace & superb are larger than the Jetta. Might not be the best options for self driven folks. If you are fine with petrols then the A4 or 330i or Q2 should fit the bill. If you are keen on a diesel, the 320d or Compass are perfect.

Even thought the Jetta has done 120k KMs, there is no harm in retaining it. Sell off the Micra and use the Vento. Get the extended warranty for peace of mind. If you are worried about the issues around DQ200, Sell off both the Micra and Vento. Get a Scross for your mom to get chauffered in and you can use the Jetta. The money you get from the sale of the Micra can be used for the running repairs of the Jetta.

Last edited by asit.kulkarni93 : 31st October 2021 at 10:02.
Old 31st October 2021, 11:32   #484
Senior - BHPian

I too basically share the opinion posted by Androdev.

The Camry hybrid can deliver both mileage and reliability. It's also not a flashy car.

The Jetta can stay, but by keeping it you're accepting an avoidable risk. I assume you're aware and okay with that.

Micra must go. The N-line too would be my first choice. However, instead of Polo, may I suggest the Thar
Old 1st November 2021, 12:04   #485
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauravpat View Post

How close can a well discounted Audi A4 get compared to a top end Skoda Superb? If it is within 5 lakhs, maybe we can consider that as well.

What kind of discounts can we get on the A4?

Also, my perception is that among the 3 germans, BMW is the most reliable and best built.. hence BMW would be the preferred choice for going the pre owned route.
There have been reports on the forum of the A4 being available for a few lakhs more than the Superb L&K however stocks are limited. I believe this was the Audi Mumbai West dealer.
There maybe a 2022 update with a few more features (and a price hike + limited discounts) so if you're able to snag one of the units in their inventory it would be a good buy.

In terms of maintenance, BMWs have been lower to maintain compared to their peers but it's model specific : new launches tend to have the most niggles, some niggles are common across the range like the ABS sensors and sticky door handles, etc. However BMW offers some good warranty packages offering peace of mind for up to 6 years after which you should budget for an increase in maintenance costs. Audi too offers good warranty plans and if the service center near you is good : expect similar bills as BMW and with engine, etc that will be shared across the range there could be competent independent mechanics to help 6ou out post warranty as well.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 11:48   #486
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars

I have a 2016 Celerio ZXi AMT (O) and a pre-owned 2013 Fortuner 3.0 4x4 MT (bought in 2017).

Celerio - 33k on the odo (maintained very well)
Fortuner - 150k on the odo (maintained very well)

Background
Celerio was bought in 2016 for my wife but she never really got to driving it, which is why the low odo. I now use it for intra-city runs but whenever the family (me, wifey and the kid) needs to go anywhere, whether within city or outside, its always the Fortuner because of safety concern.

The dilemma started because of the NGT ruling of not being able to keep 10+ year old diesel vehicle. The Fortuner would turn 9 on Feb 2022 and I would have only two options. Get a UK number and take it out only for out of city trips. Noida doesn't have too many rigorous checks so for long trips in early morning/late night chances of anyone stopping the vehicle is rare. Second option, sell it and get another 4x4.

My requirement
1) First and foremost, I don't really need two cars but after having owned a small hatchback and a tough long distance tourer the idea of having just one car in the garage is a little intimidating. This is yet another reason for this post. So any car that does it all for me would also work and maybe I don't need two cars at all.
2) I want a go-anywhere car so 4x4 is must. I don't do weekend offroading but trips to the mountains, snow drives are a must every year. Maybe the new-age AWDs would work for me but I'm not sure what to expect from, lets say the XUV7OO AWD.
3) The car has to be safe of course, so recent 4 or 5 star ratings would definitely help the decision.
4) It has to be an automatic, absolutely no compromise here.

Budget
Willing to spend 5-7 lakhs over and above what I'd get after selling both the cars so I'm trying to work out something that can be had for 20 lakhs.

What I've considered
Retain the Fortuner with a UK number, sell the Celerio and get a Rapid like sedan instead. A sedan would be great for city and even interstate runs that don't need a 4x4. Fortuner can do the duty for our long road trips. Retaining the Fortuner is a risky proposition though, who knows what ruling is passed or how strict the Noida administration gets but just because the truck is so amazing I'm willing to consider this. But with Rapid out of production I'm not sure which is an equally fun alternative.

Sell both and get the Thar but space on offer is simply too less to be able to go on long road trips. I gave serious thought to Thar but with 3 people on board it just won't work out even for a 3-4 day holiday with a kid, let alone week long Spiti/Ladakh trips.

If the Compass was any cheaper I would've considered it in its AWD avatar but at this price its just too expensive. Not to mention, Ford exit has made me a little skeptic of plonking serious money into likes of Skoda/Jeep/Renault/Nissan. Right now the lack of 4x4/AWD vehicles in 15-30 lakh range is really concerning.

At times I feel the only option that I have left is either the XUV7OO or new Scorpio. Owning a Mahindra would never be as fuss free as a Toyota but I guess that's the only option left for me.

I have another 6-9 months before I get the NOC for my Fortuner and decide to sell it but letting go of two cars isn't an easy decision so need your help fellow bhpians!

Last edited by fine69 : 2nd November 2021 at 11:49.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 20:04   #487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I have a 2016 Celerio ZXi AMT (O) and a pre-owned 2013 Fortuner 3.0 4x4 MT (bought in 2017).

Celerio - 33k on the odo (maintained very well)
Fortuner - 150k on the odo (maintained very well)

Background
Celerio was bought in 2016 for my wife but she never really got to driving it, which is why the low odo. I now use it for intra-city runs but whenever the family (me, wifey and the kid) needs to go anywhere, whether within city or outside, its always the Fortuner because of safety concern.

I have another 6-9 months before I get the NOC for my Fortuner and decide to sell it but letting go of two cars isn't an easy decision so need your help fellow bhpians!
In my honest opinion, it would be a bit of a pain to have an invalid car as your primary ride in Delhi-NCR. There would definitely be times when you have to travel to other NCR cities with stricter implementation, and this is where the Fortuner could become a huge burden. It is really heartbreaking to hear about well maintained cars having to go off the roads, but there simply is not a way out of this.
Not being able to use your car without any apprehensions, especially when it is a luxury SUV is not something one should have to live with. It makes sense to take advantage of the Fortuner's stellar resale value and get a nice SUV.

As far as the Celerio is concerned, I think you should retain it as a beater car. An easy to drive, fuel efficient car with affordable spares is a blessing when your other car is an expensive SUV.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 16:40   #488
BHPian

So since you have 2 VWs in your house so definitely driving dynamics takes precedence along with solid build. So what my suggestion would be to sell micra. Both brothers get the vento, mom gets the Jetta.
Now since your father's usage is high, getting a diesel makes sense but that's possible only if you buy a SUV.
But making the jump from Sedan to SUV is easier said than done since your father always has preferred sedans. So you can go for a Skoda superb or the Octavia. Although both are powered by the same engine the tuning is more performance oriented in Octavia than superb(keeping in mind the chauffeur driven choice) so get a TD for both.

Alternatively also checkout the Altis Hybrid( to keep the fuel costs down) and the Compass diesel top model to keep your mom happy( respecting her choice as well)

But as posted above keep away from the luxury segment if DQ200 is giving you reliability thoughts.
Laidbackakki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 19:28   #489
BHPian

We have a 2011 Innova VX, which was bought used in 2016 when the odo was at around 75k Kms from a close acquaintance and we did around 110k Kms in 5+ years (present odo is close to 187k Kms) and a 2014 Honda City iDTEC VMT, which was again bought used in 2017 when the odo was at 35k Kms and we did around 86k Kms in 4+ years (present odo is 121k Kms).

We have been trying to sell off the Innova as our running got reduced, expenses getting increased off late, vehicle's age is over 10 year old and getting less FE of around 8-10 Kmpl, which is hurting our pockets badly. But, had to retain the Innova forcefully and had to defer new car purchase due to Covid, and other reasons like investment on house purchase. Recently, when we gave the Innova for service, I was said by the ASC guy that steering rack assembly needs to be replaced (costs 40k) along with brake discs and pads (costs around 20k for both), lower arms (costs around 24k) and others, which got us an expense of around 1L and along with that, tyres also needed replacement, which will be costing around 25k and whole thing will cost us around 1.5L. In 2019, we almost decided to sell off the Innova and get an AT car as the replacement but, instead, we had spent around 1.5L for rejuvenating the car assuming that we will be keeping the car for 2-3 years (that was in 2019) and got seat covers in late 2019 as well as new tyres at 125k Kms on the odo in early 2019, as well as clutch replacement and battery in the same year.

And, in 2020, just after the lockdown, the car had met with an accident, which resulted in broken RHS window glass and that accident costed us 35k, where 25k was paid by the insurance guys and 10k was paid by us. Again, after few months, the car again met with the accident, which resulted in dent on driver side door and rear door, which we got it done at local FNG.

Since last few months, the Innova has been used less and instead, we are preferring the Honda City over the Innova due to easy to drive nature and decent FE and the City is serving us as our daily driver as well these days.

Hence, I and my dad thought that selling off the Innova is way better option now due to increasing expenses and we felt that we don't need a 7 seater car anymore as we are family of 3 and since my dad travels alone most of the time with the chauffeur, getting a 5 seater made sense over 7 seater though still we are open to 7 seater option.

And, the budget for new car as the replacement for Innova is 20-30L and I've my heart on Harrier AT as well as on XUV700 Diesel AT, Jeep Compass Diesel AT and my dad is okay with getting Creta/Seltos as well.

Not keen on getting the Innova Crysta though due to unavoidable reasons.

And, if we replace our City Diesel, then we might go for EV as we are getting the solar installed at our new house or a Petrol. Will not go for Diesel as the running might get decreased in future as I'm planning to move abroad soon.
car_guy1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 08:11   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post

Not keen on getting the Innova Crysta though due to unavoidable reasons.
Hey @car_guy1998,

If I recall correctly, You had said that you aren't keen on buying the GX variant of the Innova crysta due to the lack of features and your dad did not want to increase his budget for the ZX variant. Considering the above points why don't you check out the following Innova crysta i found on OLX. It is a 2021 Innova crysta ZX Automatic. It has run 3000 kms and is on sale in Chennai. The quoted price is 22.5 lacks.

https://www.olx.in/item/toyota-innov...iid-1662024703

Thanks
Abie
M A D over CARS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 09:58   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M A D over CARS View Post
Hey @car_guy1998,

If I recall correctly, You had said that you aren't keen on buying the GX variant of the Innova crysta due to the lack of features and your dad did not want to increase his budget for the ZX variant.
Yes, you heard it right. Since my dad doesn't care much about features, getting GX AT or VX MT variant is a good option. But, due to some circumstances, we might downgrade to a 5 seater.

And, got bored with Toyotas as well. Each and every person I know has Innova and Fortuner. So, thinking to get a different car from different brand this time.
Old 8th November 2021, 11:09   #492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauravpat View Post
In the past year or so, the Micra has had rattles and sounds coming from the brakes and the engine.. and has generally become quite old and banged up.

My father wanted to sell it and change the Micra since March 2020. So basically now it has to go. Me and my brother were keen on keeping it as a beater car and for our dog to jump about in.

But it has gotten very underpowered (67bhp when new).

So we will be selling the Micra for sure.

Now our options are:

1. Dad's Option -

Sell - Vento and Micra

Buy - SUV or Sedan - Toyota/VW and a Hatchback (10 lakh)

Keep - Jetta

Sell both the Micra and the Vento

Buy a car between 30-40 lakhs (would have loved a Passat but also likes the Tiguan --- his number 1 option right now)

Buy a hatchback to replace the Micra (under 10 lakhs)

My parents have always preferred sedans to SUVs but due to the lack of options in the 25-40 lakh space, my dad is considering the Tiguan.

We do not want huge cars. That has automatically ruled out the fortuner, gloster, endeavour etc.

Only option I can think of comparable to the 5 seater Tiguan is the Jeep Compass (size, interior, driving dynamics)

2. Mom's Option-

Sell - Micra

Buy - Sedan (BMW, Audi, Mercedes)

Keep - Jetta, Vento

Mom is absolutely not in favour of SUVs.

She thinks we should sell the Micra and get a premium luxury car (one of Audi,BMW,Merc) and stretch our budget to 50 lakhs if needed.

It has been a long time aspiration for her and she thinks it is worth going for the A4 or C class or X1 in place of a comparable Superb or Tiguan for those additional 10 lakhs.

She is also open to checking out preowned examples of these cars for around 35-40 lakhs

We will keep the Vento and Jetta.. with the Vento going to us brothers and she using the Jetta.

That is one hell of a dilemma opened up
Given your price band is pretty wide, you must consider the new Octavia to replace the Micra. You already have an idea of the sense of space and comfort you can expect from it given that you've been a Jetta owner for a while too, and it's almost all of the luxury car you'd want but at a much better price proposition.

Aside from that, if space isn't your top priority, try taking a trip or sending a mail to MB's Chakan plant given that you live in Pune. They have Mercedes Benz registered cars (so will be second owner when you buy it) for absolute steals. My neighbour bought a 3 month old 500 km C Class from there for a mouth watering price.

And if you want something to break the Sedan chain, look no further than the Tiguan. It's slightly less pricier than other SUVs up there, it's German (that you're very familiar with) and is not even all that big for a sedan loyalist to get used to.

So here's your options, a sensible German Sedan, a compact luxury sedan, and a reasonable SUV. Either of which I feel will fill up your garage to completion for a good amount of time
Old 10th November 2021, 22:56   #493
BHPian

Offbeat suggestion for 2 VW and 1 Nissan garage:

Sell Micra and Jetta
Buy new Innova for chauffeur duties and used (almost new) 3 series!

Having said that, if you have found a car the family loves (Jetta), then keep it. At the 40 lakh bracket, good cars are few a far in-between.

So, alternatively you can sell Micra and get a used X3, Tiguan 5 seater, Kodiaq diesel. Lesser show and a brilliant car nonetheless will be a Volvo xc60. 1 SUV and 2 sedans is a good combo, esp with a dog in the family.

Last edited by ronk : 10th November 2021 at 22:59. Reason: Additional option
Old 13th November 2021, 01:03   #494
BHPian

Fellow Members - Need advise on the below

Have the below vehicles:
Swift VDI-2011, KM's Covered : 123500 and Brezza ZDI-2017, KM's Covered : 132723
Have booked the 700 and waiting endlessly for the delivery, the dilemma is need a 7 seater for the family trips and one for the city travel, hence would have to give up one of the existing cars. Both of them are in very good condition. Mind say keep the Brezza, since its a newer one, but the heart says Swift for the power and thrill that i still get on it . Hence asking for your thoughts on this .

Thanks in advance.
Old 17th November 2021, 06:42   #495
Senior - BHPian

I can relate to a lot of conversations and thoughts on this thread. With a lot of new cars being launched all the time, one does feel like upgrading earlier than necessary.

My case—I have two Hyundais, both bought in 2018. A fantastic 1.6 diesel Creta which I use on a daily basis and my wife uses the Elite i20 Petrol.
Both cars have covered extremely low kilometres, the Creta is just under 24k, whereas the i20 hasn’t even clocked 6k! Well, this is mostly down to the last 2 years, where my wife hasn’t used the car at all since my 9 year old son has had online classes.

I drive everyday to my office and in fact work from home concept is almost non-existent in my work area. However, this is where the slight dilemma begins. Until a month ago, my office was just 15-16kms ( to and fro ), so a manual did not really cause any concern. Now, I have moved jobs and my office commute has increased to about 25kms on a daily basis. What is worse is that my new office is getting shifted to the worst traffic belt in Bangalore, Outer Ring Road! And it’s going to get really worse when metro construction commences in a full fledged way in this stretch.

I anticipate spending at least 1.5 hours on the road on a daily basis, but the distance would be just under 25kms. So we are talking about really nasty traffic here.

Both my cars are maintained impeccably and I have done some subtle upgrades, so every time I drive any of these two cars, there is little to complain about. But the huge disadvantage is that both of these are manuals and I feel that I’m going to get frustrated when my office shifts to this new location in the next 2-3 months.

So basically I have 3 options:-

1) Keep both cars, live with the extra effort on manual. I’m just 40, I have no physical issues as such, but my knee does ache a bit when I keep using the clutch in lengthy traffic situations.

2) Sell the i20, I bought it for 6.7 lakhs, a rough estimate on cars24 shows something like 6 lakhs, so not bad at all. I should then buy a small automatic, and my wife uses the Creta, since her commute is not more than 6-7kms on a daily basis.
The advantage here would be that I can opt for a company car loan which may provide some tax benefits, although I’m not sure about the exact amount I may end up saving. I could use the amount from selling the i20 to close one of the housing loans I have, so on paper this sounds like a good idea. But, I don’t see any decent TC or CVT automatics under 10 lakhs except the Amaze and the Polo. I’m not sure if the Polo is even in production right now.

3) The last and the most expensive option, sell the Creta, i bought it in 2018 for around 15.5 lakhs, I think current resale estimates are around 12 lakhs but I think it can get better. But then I need to replace this with a more expensive car like the Harrier, Safari or the XUV700. And AT versions of these cars cost more than 25 lakhs, so a very expensive proposition and if I go the company loan route then my EMI becomes quite high. And most importantly, I’m not convinced about any of these cars. The XUV700 is the best of the lot, offering new age features and safety, but there is a long waiting period, but somehow I don’t connect emotionally with the car, the way it looks. Well, then in terms of looks, the Safari just looks fantastic, but it misses out on a lot of new features, plus I’m not sure why Tata hasn’t got the car tested yet. And lastly we keep hearing niggles on both these Tata cars and that’s not a good thing if you end up one such car where you have to take it to the service station every now and then.

Ideally, I would have wanted to upgrade to something like the Compass or the Tucson, maybe 3 years later, when my Creta is around 6-7 years old. My earlier car was a Rapid diesel, so in way the Creta was more like a lateral upgrade, so I was hoping that my next car is a proper upgrade to the next segment.

Anyway, hope members can share their thoughts and hopefully I make up my mind on this once and for all.

Last edited by motorworks : 17th November 2021 at 06:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks