Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2017, 06:20   #61
BANNED

Re: Which car for an Uber / Ola taxi?

Okay guys, since I am into this business since a couple of months and with a couple of cars (all Wagon R), so I can consider myself a but qualified for replying to this thread. The main point of consideration in this business is 'driver', only he can make or break the business.

None of my cars ply in Ola, nor I am interested in Ola any more. If your driver is working say 24*7, they simply start finding excuses for cutting your incentive.

Coming to Uber, it has a better set of customers, rides are lesser in uber as compared to Ola but earnings are going to be same, more or less.

Get good drivers and you can expect to save 15-20k a month after removing all the expenses. With a good driver, the daily average in my case is around 2k per day per car. Now deduct 400-500 per day of CNG, 1500 per month for MCD tax, 8000 per month per car as EMI, 16k a month for driver salary and an an average 3000 a month for maintenance. Calculate it and you are all good to go; only condition is that the driver is good and honest.
VKumar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th January 2017, 17:50   #62
BHPian

Does Ola/Uber have any CNG taxis in Bangalore? I haven't observed any WagonR CNG used as Ola or Uber Taxi in Bangalore yet. Maybe Maruti dealers are not allowing to register the car as a Taxi here.
Old 23rd January 2017, 11:39   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
Does Ola/Uber have any CNG taxis in Bangalore? I haven't observed any WagonR CNG used as Ola or Uber Taxi in Bangalore yet. Maybe Maruti dealers are not allowing to register the car as a Taxi here.
You are right of course. Currently, only the swift Dzire Tour is what the dealers offer for commercial registration from the Maruti stable, Amaze Diesel from Honda, Etios(a particular variant, not all) from Toyota(sedan, cross and hatch) and every car except the Tiago, Safari and Hexa from the Tata lineup.
Old 23rd January 2017, 16:29   #64
BHPian

Ya, that's the scene in Bangalore. I had been to a Maruti Dealership few days back and was enquiring about the taxi market and found out that they had the Celerio Diesel which was also available for the Taxi Market which is now discontinued for unknown reasons. Also the Ritz as we know is no longer available but there are speculations about the Ritz tour being launched for Taxi segment but they haven't got any official communication from MSIL about the dates though. Also asked them about CNG variants and they said that they don't have CNG variants coming in for Karnataka again for unknown reasons. So right now they are cashing-in with the Dzire Tour mainly in the taxi market.
Old 1st March 2017, 14:04   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post

As per google , only one CNG outlet is available in Bangalore. This might be the main reason that cab aggregators are not interested in CNG variants and dealers are not stocking. Moreover the Karnataka state government is least concerned about pollution.

I took 10 uber rides ( 7 Hyundai xcent crdi, 1 dzire ddis,2 wagon R CNG ) in a week and was surprised by the number of xcent crdi plying on Mumbai roads. No wonder Hyundai Xcent sales are so high

Anyone knows how UBER driver registers diesel car in Mumbai ?
I was thinking that public transportation inside Mumbai should be registered as petrol/CNG.

Thanks,
Rahul
Old 13th March 2017, 16:59   #66
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I'm looking for an AUTOMATIC diesel SEDAN to replace a Swift Dezire diesel which completed 2 years with Uber. The monthly usage would be about 8k kms. The incentives in my city are at an all time low so not looking for anything very expensive.

Please advise.
Old 13th March 2017, 19:23   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Guys, I'm looking for an AUTOMATIC diesel SEDAN to replace a Swift Dezire diesel which completed 2 years with Uber. The monthly usage would be about 8k kms. The incentives in my city are at an all time low so not looking for anything very expensive.

Please advise.
IMHO, you can go for Dzire automatic. Other than that you don't have much choice in compact diesel sedan except for Tata Zest.

One question though. Why are you replacing your existing car? Is it because of manual transmission or is it because the car is proving to be expensive to maintain or is there some other reason to it?

Last edited by auto_enthusiast : 13th March 2017 at 19:24.
auto_enthusiast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 10:55   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_enthusiast View Post
IMHO, you can go for Dzire automatic. Other than that you don't have much choice in compact diesel sedan except for Tata Zest.

One question though. Why are you replacing your existing car? Is it because of manual transmission or is it because the car is proving to be expensive to maintain or is there some other reason to it?
Thank you for your advise.

Uber has come up with a new earnings scheme and the vehicle age also matters now.

The car is cheap to maintain compared to any other vehicle.
Old 21st October 2017, 08:53   #69
BHPian

A request and seeking clarification.

Our helping hand in Guwahati decided to enrol his car for Ola/Uber. He will be driving it.

I wanted to know, does Ola/Uber provide the smartphone?

What is reliable smartphone for him for this purpose? I don't know the phone requirements exactly. Believe it needs to have Android and basic features.

The problem is, the guy is at most can be called illiterate. Second hand smartphone shops already ripped him couple of times.

Please let me know if you have any specific phone model that helps in such a case.

Thanks in advance.
Old 30th October 2017, 13:03   #70
BHPian

I'm thinking of trying Uber with an automatic transmission vehicle. For the sake of numbers, lets say I spend 12 lacs on the new car.

-Wondering what will be the value of the car when I try to sell it after say 2-3 years?

- Where are commercial cars sold?
Old 30th October 2017, 13:43   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
A request and seeking clarification.
Our helping hand in Guwahati decided to enrol his car for Ola/Uber. He will be driving it.
I used an Moto E initially but have now switched to iPhone 5S. It runs the app more reliably and I have set the phone's language to Hindi which helps my driver. Main reason for iPhone is as follows - 1. better OS than android in the budget segment 2. Less lucrative for a thief to steal an iPhone.

Uber does have tie-ups with some phone vendors, but won't recommend that route for cost effectiveness. Remember, the phone will be on 12+ hr a day (24 hr in my case). Its better to spend 10-15k on a phone than change a 5k phone every 6 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishy View Post
I'm thinking of trying Uber with an automatic transmission vehicle. For the sake of numbers, lets say I spend 12 lacs on the new car.?
Frankly, wont recommend you getting yourself into Uber at this stage. I'm assuming you will run the car in Mumbai. You must have a plan B if the income is lower than your expectations.

Commercial vehicle resale is very difficult as not many people buy such cars as those are run a lot and much roughly. You will get a low resale. If possible, you can convert the car to private registration and use it in the family.
Old 21st February 2018, 14:47   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

I traveled in 3 different Indica/Indigo cabs in the past few days. Struck a conversation with the drivers, who happened to own the vehicles, and got to know some insights into their vehicles.

Nov 2014 Indigo eCS with CR4 engine
  • Covered 197k kms and the engine was untouched.
  • Running on 2nd set of clutch.
  • Third set of tyres and suspension.
  • Driver mentioned the car was more delicate than the old Indigo. It was because of the CRDi engine which isn't as rugged as the old turbo diesel or IDI engine. Diesel filter was particularly more expensive.
  • Car is more fun to drive and powerful.

Dec 2015 Indica CR4
  • Run 145k kms and engine is untouched.
  • Driver mentioned the cost of spares is high for the "electronic" Indica engine. Especially the Diesel and oil filters.
  • Running on 2nd clutch set and 2nd set of tires. No other changes. He balances the tires regularly to ensure correct alignment and hence they last about 80-90k kms. This is his second Indica.

2011 Indica V2 DLS - most impressive one
  • Has run 396k kms till date and the engine is untouched. The owner said he was never harsh on the car and maintained it as per schedule
  • The interiors didn't feel like they are from a 4L kms old car. There were hardly any rattles in the car
  • Suspension was hard but not clunky unlike my experiences in the past with other vehicles
  • The car was comfortably doing 100kmph on the ORR. Inside the city, the driver used to shift to 1st when the speed fell below ~15-20.

My take away:
  • Indica and Indigo were considered to be cheap to buy, cheap to own, robust cars which were not very polished.
  • New gen engines are supposedly more delicate and have expensive spares. It hurts the buyers who bought these cars with the above mentioned thought.
  • The cars are reliable and last long if maintained properly.
  • They still give the feeling of sitting on a sofa in the drawing room. I was a kid when I traveled in the Indica for the first time back in 1998, a gen 1 DLX model. I am 6ft tall and the only thing that has changed today is a bit of lack of under-thigh support.

Last edited by ashis89 : 21st February 2018 at 14:48. Reason: Formatting
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks