Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2016, 11:32   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Which car for an Uber / Ola taxi?

I have a different kind of suggestion to make - why don't you simply ask Uber / Ola on what car to buy?

We'll tell you the car that's most suited to the role. However, with the kind of data Uber & Ola have, they'd be able to suggest a car that has the most demand / makes the most money. These companies have teams that do such research for a living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
With AMT driver fatigue should be less and he should be able to cover more trips in a day.
Wouldn't recommend an AMT for a cab. Let the driver drive! AMT's long-term reliability is unknown and it certainly won't be as fuel efficient as a well-driven MT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
I am not interested in compact sedans. since its not only the car which decides the category in which you drive, it is also customer ratings that decide if it will be in Prime category or not.
I don't think so. Have never gotten a small car when I chose a higher category (although the opposite happens frequently).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Why not the tried and tested Dacia Logan ala Mahindra Verito?
Don't see any reason to pick a Logan over the Etios. The Etios surely enjoys better acceptability than the Logan which is seen as old, crude & outdated.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 11:45   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Also since you are looking at this as a business proposition, may I request you to also share the basic mathematics behind this as to what are the costs and expected profits that you are looking at? It might benefit a lot of other people here.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 11:49   #18
BHPian

As a regular Uber/ola user I would suggest a sedan also, it has the following advantages:

1> Can be used as a Mini/Sedan/Prime/Share
2> Revenue is more when used as share as each passenger is a trip and for 15-16 trips you get a guaranteed income of Rs. 6000, regardless of your revenue by meter
3> Uber/Ola have tie ups with manufacturers to supply the cabs (Wagon R/GO/Ritz/Beat/Dzire/Etios/Innova) at very discounted prices.

You can ask them for the quote and you pay about 10% with the installments adjusted from your earnings.

So give the taxi guys a call or better still visit them and find out. There are 3 now Ola, Uber and UTOO.
amitc7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 12:22   #19

I would definitely not suggest getting the CNG from outside and letting go of the warranty. With a cab you'll need regular service and that peace of mind. For the same reason I wouldn't recommend a second hand car.

I would suggest the WagonR CNG factory fitted from your list. As you have already mentioned that you don't want to go for the higher segment, otherwise I would have suggested Swift Dzire or Etios.

Btw, have you considered that after the CNG, there will be very limited boot space and if the customer has any luggage it might be a problem?

Last edited by GTO : 26th July 2016 at 15:02. Reason: Typos
bmuser is offline   Received Infraction
Old 25th July 2016, 16:15   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I have a different kind of suggestion to make - why don't you simply ask Uber / Ola on what car to buy?

We'll tell you the car that's most suited to the role. However, with the kind of data Uber & Ola have, they'd be able to suggest a car that has the most demand / makes the most money. These companies have teams that do such research for a living.

Hi GTO,

I did ask for this from Uber representative. However I got generic answers. It's WagonR for a hatch and Dzire and Excent for sedan. I was not informed about people working only on this.

Wouldn't recommend an AMT for a cab. Let the driver drive! AMT's long-term reliability is unknown and it certainly won't be as fuel efficient as a well-driven MT.

I am also concerned about the long term reliability. Hence thought of asking on the forum.

I don't think so. Have never gotten a small car when I chose a higher category (although the opposite happens frequently).

Exactly the reason why I don't want to buy a Compact Sedan. Your driver has to have a high rating to drive the car in Prime category. Otherwise He will be driving a sedan and will be picking up passengers of Mini, Micro category, which I don't want. And a new driver will take some time before he gets the rating to drive in prime category. May be the next car I buy could be a sedan and I could graduate the first driver on that car and have a new driver for the hatch.

Don't see any reason to pick a Logan over the Etios. The Etios surely enjoys better acceptability than the Logan which is seen as old, crude & outdated.

True GTO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Also since you are looking at this as a business proposition, may I request you to also share the basic mathematics behind this as to what are the costs and expected profits that you are looking at? It might benefit a lot of other people here.

Hi drmohitg,

It all depends on how many trips a day you are able to complete. For e.g Ola pays you 650 per trip as minimum if you complete 8 Trips in a day. Uber also have same kind of schemes. If you drive 25 days. You will be able to get a billing of 125000 rs approx. Now if you remove your expenses which are 20k for the driver, 13 k for the EMI, 25- 30 K fuel and 10k maintenance, you still would be able to save 50k from one car. I am happy if I make 25-30k from one car. The only catch is you have to have good drivers.

[quote=amitc7;4021598]As a regular Uber/ola user I would suggest a sedan also, it has the following advantages:

1> Can be used as a Mini/Sedan/Prime/Share
2> Revenue is more when used as share as each passenger is a trip and for 15-16 trips you get a guaranteed income of Rs. 6000, regardless of your revenue by meter

Hi amitc,

A WagonR can also be used for share.

3> Uber/Ola have tie ups with manufacturers to supply the cabs (Wagon R/GO/Ritz/Beat/Dzire/Etios/Innova) at very discounted prices.

They have tie ups with Datsun I know. Don't know about Maruti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmuser View Post
Btw, have you considered that after the CNG, there will be very limited boot space and if the customer has any luggage it might be a problem?
Hi bmuser,

I am aware about it. However most of the times it is one or two passengers with regular stuff. I wouldn't want to increase my investment for those limited trips.
Old 26th July 2016, 11:43   #21
BHPian

One important point I would like to add is that before booking the wagorR, make sure that they are ready to register it as a taxi coz AFAIK Maruti is quite skeptical to register the wagorR with yellow plates. Atleast that's the case here in surat.
Old 26th July 2016, 11:56   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_enthusiast View Post
One important point I would like to add is that before booking the wagorR, make sure that they are ready to register it as a taxi coz AFAIK Maruti is quite skeptical to register the wagorR with yellow plates. Atleast that's the case here in surat.
There are plenty of WagonR yellow plate cabs in NCR area. I don't think there is any issue on this front at all.
Old 26th July 2016, 19:08   #23
BHPian

Quote:
There are plenty of WagonR yellow plate cabs in NCR area. I don't think there is any issue on this front at all.
The issue is basically with a brand new car. The ones which you see must be a year or two old. I don't know about the exact time frame but after a certain age the wagorR can be registered as a taxi. Not sure about NCR but here in surat you cannot register it as a taxi unless you have some contacts it the local RTO or you grease the palms of the officials.
Old 26th July 2016, 20:00   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Sorry about my ignorance but is there any rule which limits the registration of a vehicle as a Taxi? Isn't it the buyers prerogative?
Old 26th July 2016, 20:57   #25
BHPian

Quote:
^^ Sorry about my ignorance but is there any rule which limits the registration of a vehicle as a Taxi? Isn't it the buyers prerogative?
No, it is totally the sellers call as to which vehicle they permit to be registered as a taxi. For eg. Maruti only has the Eco, Van, old dZire(dZire tour) which they permit for a taxi passing. You will hardly see a brand new dZire, celerio, alto with yellow plates. Each manufacturer has a certain set of vehicles which are registered as taxi, other vehicles from their stable are not permitted for passing as a taxi officially.
Old 26th July 2016, 21:07   #26
BANNED

Why not Figo Aspire? Have seen a lot of them in Ernakulam
Old 26th July 2016, 21:24   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No, it is totally the sellers call as to which vehicle they permit to be registered as a taxi. For eg. Maruti only has the Eco, Van, old dZire(dZire tour) which they permit for a taxi passing. You will hardly see a brand new dZire, celerio, alto with yellow plates. Each manufacturer has a certain set of vehicles which are registered as taxi, other vehicles from their stable are not permitted for passing as a taxi officially.
How can that be? You mean, if I sell my car, and someone wants to use it as a taxi, I, as the seller, can prevent them from changing the registration?

I could understand if, the RTOs, perhaps in league with the manufacturers, only approved certain vehicles, but surely the seller, even the original seller, can't tell me what I can do with the car ?
Old 26th July 2016, 21:46   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
How can that be? You mean, if I sell my car, and someone wants to use it as a taxi, I, as the seller, can prevent them from changing the registration?

I could understand if, the RTOs, perhaps in league with the manufacturers, only approved certain vehicles, but surely the seller, even the original seller, can't tell me what I can do with the car ?
By 'seller' I meant the original seller of the car i.e. the manufacturer of that particular car who sells it to us(buyers). After a certain period, maybe a year or two, almost all cars can be registered as a taxi. This rule applies only to brand new cars.
Old 26th July 2016, 21:53   #29
Senior - BHPian

Which car for an Uber / Ola taxi?

Quote:
After a certain period, maybe a year or two, almost all cars can be registered as a taxi. This rule applies only to brand new cars.

Nope. You can use any and whatever car you want as T permit. I've seen Altos, Celerios, Ecosport, E class, Fortuners, Puntos, Linea, City, Ciaz, new Dzire, etc

Use of a vehicle is governed by the RTO and not by the manufacturer. Yeah, sometimes car makers (eg Maruti) doesn't allow you to register car as yellow board by not allowing invoicing of vehicle under proprietorship, or under name of a company involved in tourist business.

But you can buy any vehicle in private registration and convert it to yellow board vehicle.
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 21:58   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This rule applies only to brand new cars.
But whose "rule" is it? According to me, just my understanding, neither manufacturers nor dealers can make rules. Of course, there is a contract of sale, and they can write stuff into that, and most of us sign them without even reading them, but wouldn't have thought such a clause would stand up in law.

nb: I have no knowledge on yellow plates and how the system works. I strayed into this thread and thought I'd stick around to learn something. Thanks for helping me to do so
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed