Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2016, 00:19   #16
BHPian

First Car For An 18 Year Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Since mileage and space are not part of your priorities, may I suggest the Honda Brio.It meets all your requirements.
Does the Brio come with ABS and airbags ? I really like the Brio but have always thought of it it to be cheaply made my parents think the same and I really doubt they would let me get a Brio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
18 y.o., 3-months-old DL, 6k km under your belt, and you think you have driven in almost all types of conditions?
I have practically become the new driver in my house haha from dropping my parents to work to highway runs thats why I made that statement should've added 'within the city' at the end my apologies. I in no way am an expert driver or even close to one. I am planning on buying a used car only and thank you will add ABS and airbags to my list of preferences as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdp95 View Post
Please do not get taken away by whatever you have accomplished in driving till now.
Absolutely I know I am no expert I hand on heart rarely ever cross 80kph. I only went to a driving school to get my licence done a BHP-ian itself taught me how to drive. Yes the way licences are given out in mumbai is seriously a joke something really must be done about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijnoirhammer67 View Post
Ferrariwell, you should mention your budget. But looking at your choices, it seems like your cap is around 10-12 lakhs.
Extremely sorry forgot to mention the budget I have around 6 lakhs to get myself a car mostly it will be a used car. All the cars I have short-listed have ABS and at-least 2 airbags and ABS. We already have a vento TDI as our primary car and My mom and I have always found the city to be cheaply made for some reason. Would the ecosport be too flashy for a college kid? also I am not sure I can get the fully loaded one with airbags and ABS within my budget even in the used car market. PS the particular polo 1.6 MPI that I've found has had its rear brakes converted to discs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Since you are planning to bring it down to Mangalore, first decide on where you will be buying it from. Because Mangalore is in Karnataka, and Karnataka is crazy about out of state cars. Literally "out to get you" crazy.
The polo is actually my first preference how are the VW dealers over there? I actually want something that will fly under the radar. Is re-registering a practical option ?

Last edited by ampere : 24th October 2016 at 00:13. Reason: Reduced quoted post size
Ferrariwell is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2016, 01:14   #17
BHPian

re: First Car for an 18 year old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrariwell View Post
The Cars Considered

Polo 1.6 MPI
I had this one for 2.5 years. Loved it. Linear acceleration all the way and a slick gearbox. It being NA engine, should be relatively more reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
1. Ford Fiesta/classic 1.6
This is the one I would go for.

However, I do agree with SS-Traveller's advice of going for a less than 75ps car for couple of years and then upgrading.

Good luck.
the_skyliner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2016, 03:20   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Just pick up a good fiesta if you spot one - I learnt to drive on a Fiesta TDCi and even without the power, it left a lasting impression on me.
Great visibility, fantastic steering, tough build, excellent ride and handling combo, etc. all mated to a beauty of an engine.
Compared to the Laura I drive today, I felt much more connected driving the Fiesta!
Even the Polo is much more softer to drive, and with the EPS and average engine (the 1.6, not the TSi) - just not as involving. It's fast - yes. But fun - not as much IMO.

Had seen a Fiesta Titanium with Airbags (I'm guessing ABS too) on one of the popular used car portals. Check it out.

PS: You will not be comfortable at first in the Fiesta owing to ergonomics, but give it 15 minutes to get comfortable.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2016, 09:04   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Just pick up a good fiesta if you spot one - I learnt to drive on a Fiesta TDCi and even without the power, it left a lasting impression on me.
Great visibility, fantastic steering, tough build, excellent ride and handling combo, etc. all mated to a beauty of an engine.
I'd second lamborghini on this. I'm 21 now, but I drove a Fiesta 1.4 for the first 18 odd months after I got my DL. Still think very, very few cars drive as well as that did. It may have been underpowered, but the feedback from that steering and the slick gearbox made it a joy to drive. The Rapid TDI I have now, similar to the Polos you're considering, while really nice, doesn't come close to the driving pleasure that Fiesta gave me.

Considering you don't need a boot, why don't you look at the previous gen Figo? It's not a bad shout at all. Same handling dynamics as compared to the Fiesta, and I think the same TDCi engine as well, though I'm not too sure about the petrol. I think its a great first car to have, this sentiment is echoed by a couple of friends who upgraded from Figos to Polo GTs. They both love their GTs, but didn't give the same happiness their Figo did.
AbelAFC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2016, 09:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

Considering you'll use the car extensively in Bangalore and you don't like the Honda City, may try Hyundai or Maruti for hassle free maintenance. Not that other brands are difficult to maintain, but Maruti, Hyundai and Mahindra have a lot of service centres in tier 2 towns.

Consider a Asta plus diesel i20 (old) or SX4. (SX4 is very big though)

You can also consider liva TRD with the 1.5 engine or Etios Petrol.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2016, 10:10   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrariwell View Post
Hi

I am 18 years old and it has been close to 3 months since I got my drivers licence I have already covered close to 6k kms in this time and have driven in almost various conditions.
5-Should have around 100bhp (I think this is decent for a new driver please give your views)
Young man, some more advice from an oldie goldie. You are younger than my youngest child so forgive me for the patronizing tone. First compliments to you for seeking advice & inputs before closing a decision. 100 bhp is a lot of power. With 100 bhp you can power a small 2-seater aircraft. The Ford T-Model had 20 horse power. The Standard Herald I learnt driving on had 40 horse power. The Lambretta on which I took some stupid risks as a young man topped 7 hp. Cars today are seriously over powered with consequent risk to drivers and others. I would suggest you go for the lowest powered car that comes with airbags + ABS. Best of luck.

Photo below of a Cessna 150, 2-seater. Often used for ab initio pilot training. Powered by a 100 shp Continental horizontally opposed piston engine. Top speed 109 knots (~200 kmph)
Attached Thumbnails
First Car for an 18 year old?-cessna.fa150k.gaycf.arp.jpg  

V.Narayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 01:31   #22
BHPian

OP
Negative advice but I hope you can articulate well.

You need a car for college and you can afford it. Good. Let us not negate that factor. You need a car.

For the next 3-5 years or maybe until you earn your money, stay low. Go for a moderate car that is good to drive, handles & brakes well, is reliable and has enough safety built into it. We can discuss such models and budget for endless hours. But the point is, we get really carried away so very easily. At your age and maybe for 10 more, it is notoriously easy to get carried away and push your cars to accelerate more than the roads, fellow drivers and we ourselves can handle. You need to get seasoned on the roads before you think you can handle the extra power and the elements of surprise on our roads.

I repeat the words told a few times already. 100 BHP is a lot of power for Indian roads. We tell every biker in our group a few times before every trip - 100 KMPH is a LOT of speed on Indian roads. It is not the roads but the nuts that we people are.

And, at this age you will have friends. A lot of them. Many using your car that you cannot avoid - they are your friends. Some would want to drive. Some will have to drive for some or the other purposes. You could get seasoned with the power in some time but not everyone driving your car. Be considerate to their safety as much considerate as you would be to give them your car.

When I had to travel abroad for an assignment, I sold my R15 (not much power in it - right? but still!) and kept my old 100CC just because I don't want any of my cousins to ride it and fall down as it takes some practice to get used to the way that bike rides and delivers its power.

I hope what I said makes some sense.
I have carried home the corpses of two seasoned riders/drivers and have spent days in hospitals with several seasoned riders/drivers who managed save their lives. In most cases, they were pushing the ride for some or the other reason. But then, it takes only one chance for something to go wrong. Once that occurs, none of those reasons hold their ground.

Last edited by MotoKris : 24th October 2016 at 01:37.
MotoKris is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 07:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

Between the ages of 18 and 25, the only car I had regular access to was my grandfather's old bone stock Ambassador Mark 2, with the old 55hp BMC petrol engine. And I have had tons of fun with that car!!

Basically, my friend, any car that is responsive and communicative can be fun. Outright power does not matter much. It is, in fact, a whole lot more fun to drive an under-powered car at its limits than it is to drive a more powerful car with 50% power still in reserve. In short, get yourself a car with which you can test the limits without killing yourself.

So, as quite a few people here had suggested, a Fiesta 1.6 is an excellent idea. As is the Polo 1.6 (and its cousin, the Fabia 1.6). Responsive and communicative chassis, brilliant steering feel (more so in the Ford than VW), nice gearbox, and just enough power. In fact, the previous generation petrol Figo (which I owned) is not too bad either. Notwithstanding the lack of power, they are dirt cheap and humongous fun in the twisties - of which there are a lot around Mangalore.
Alternatively, have you considered the Punto 1.4 petrol? A bit rare, but a Punto's build, ride, handling, steering is top notch. You'll have to live with a slightly iffy gearshift, and ergonomics don't suit everyone.
Other choices are the Swift ZXi with the G13B engine; the Ritz is a fantastic car, but probably doesn't have the "cool" factor for are image conscious.

All these cars are easy to maintain, spares are cheap, and any competent neighbourhood mechanic can work on them.
KiloAlpha is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 10:11   #24
BHPian

I would suggest getting a previous gen Figo TDCi. Has adequate power for a newbie, sips less fuel and is pretty light on pocket, drives well too.
The second choice I would be looking at is Fiat Punto Diesel. Again a very capable and under-rated car. Has decent performance and is a light sipper.

Suggesting these options as you can get good examples in second hand market for decent price and you will not have much depreciation hit when you decide to part with it four or five years down the line.

All in all, drive responsibly and keep yourself and other road users safe!!
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 11:38   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: First Car for an 18 year old?

If you are open to something different, get a used Thar. Reasons:

- Easy to find. Many sold, lots of owners don't want to live with a Jeep over a longer term. 6 lakhs will get you a very good Thar.

- Will be a hit with the girls . Trust me, I know what I'm talking about (got my Classic 4x4 in my college days).

- The sheer pleasure of owning a Jeep. Spend a week in one and you'll be addicted.

- It's not fast. You won't drag race because you'll lose every race.

- The niggles & time spent at the workshop will teach you the basics of cars.

- It's a Jeep one can live with (space, a/c, power steering, compliant ride etc.).

- You won't have to bother about fender benders (i.e. small accidents).

- With the kind of power, handling & braking it has, the Thar is a great 1st car. You'll learn to respect cars and understand their limitations.

On the other hand, if you want something more conventional, I'd recommend a used Civic (safe, quick, reliable). Don't buy a used European car. You won't have the time or $$$ to spend on its maintenance. And no way would I recommend a 160 BHP car to an 18 year old. Half of us wouldn't have made it to our thirties if we'd started off with a Laura TSI. I'm so glad that I learnt driving on a Padmini 137D, Maruti 800 & 118 NE.

Last edited by GTO : 24th October 2016 at 11:41.
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 12:02   #26
Team-BHP Support

As someone who had an Accord V6 at the age of 18, let me tell you having a a vehicle like that to take to college is a lot of fun. It also required a lot of responsibility, and meant never giving it to anyone else to drive (they might have got surprised with the power) and also ignoring taunts from other guys to see if my car was faster than theirs.

In your case, unless your parents are supportive, I would avoid the Laura tsi. Its a fun car, and you can go on modding it over the years. Everytime you get even a slight bit bored there will be a new mod for you to do. BUTT, its not the most reliable and be prepared to spend money and time when it decides to throw tantrums. It will be the most fun of the lot and best bang for the buck!

Though I think the best option would be the Polo TSI. Very practical, quick and its got safety features like esp and abs and airbags. Also fuel economy will be decent, so you can drive around a fair bit.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 12:04   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- With the kind of power, handling & braking it has, the Thar is a great 1st car. You'll learn to respect cars and understand their limitations.
Learning to respect a car, the road and traffic around shall be the prime objective at this age. Thar will definitely be the ideal choice. Those who do not understand the limitations of a car ends up damaging a lot more than one can think of.

Quote:
Half of us wouldn't have made it to our thirties if we'd started off with a Laura TSI. I'm so glad that I learnt driving on a Padmini 137D, Maruti 800 & 118 NE.
I learnt on 1972 Premier Padmini and I think it taught me a lot of discipline too.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 12:22   #28
BHPian

Quote:
If you are open to something different, get a used Thar.
How I wish I could go back 12-13 years and do that. So wanted to get a Classic 4x4 in red colour when in college.
However, the only red I did get was a used Kawasaki 4S

Quote:
- Will be a hit with the girls . Trust me, I know what I'm talking about (got my Classic 4x4 in my college days).
And not just among any girls, only with the right ones.

Quote:
- The niggles & time spent at the workshop will teach you the basics of cars.
And it's the right time to learn basics.

Last edited by the_skyliner : 24th October 2016 at 12:23. Reason: Grammer
Old 24th October 2016, 12:52   #29
BHPian

Quite funny people judging when an 18 year old asks for a 100 bhp car. I find nothing wrong in a powerful car. Quick overtakes are possible without worrying too much especially on a 2 lane road where instant power is absolutely necessary. And 100 bhp cars are quick but not scarily fast. For me, more power means quicker acceleration and not top speed. Top speed is dangerous but 100 bhp cars won't cause torque steer and take you on a kerb or hit a wall.

I'm 20 years old with around 8-9k of driving experience. I never got a chance to learn driving on one single car which I rather think helped me a lot. I learned driving on variety of cars.

1. Indica Petrol - 75 bhp
2. Mahindra Scorpio - 120 bhp
3. Volkswagen Vento Diesel - 105 bhp
4. Suzuki Swift diesel - 75 bhp
5. Hyundai Santro - 61 bhp I think
6. Honda Jazz Petrol which I drove the most in learning phase which itself is a 90 bhp car.

Horsepower is just a number. The real thing is the way the horses are delivered. You know what I'm talking if you have driven the 90 bhp Jazz and the Polo 90 bhp diesel.

Someone mentioned about respecting traffic rules is the first thing one should learn. You are damn correct! But traffic rules is something which everyone learns sitting on the co-driver's seat. It has nothing to do with how much power your car produces.

The thread starts from which 100 bhp car to buy and not what bhp car an 18 year old should buy. If that 18 year old has learned driving on a 100 bhp car, buying a 60-70 bhp car later won't be the best decision.

Not intending to hurt anyone's feelings but meant to think in a different way. And yes, thumbs up to the people recommending Fiesta (Classic). It's the most matured and underrated car a person of any age can buy. Cheers

Last edited by 300 KMPH : 24th October 2016 at 12:59.
300 KMPH is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 13:16   #30
BHPian

Replies here for any query has become very predictable. Anyways 18 is old enough to take responsibility of yourself and people around you. Good that you are on a forum and discussing, building your awareness.

Pick any car which pulls your heart strings in the budget you have, forget about everything else. You will learn to live with it, be it a mistake or a hit. Do you own a bike by any chance?

Any small car will do the job. Polo is a good choice.
Drive safe and always be defensive on the road. Learn the difference between speeding and rash driving. Never keep dead lines to reach a destination. Don't over load the car with friends. Don't lend the car to anyone and everyone.
Visaster is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed