Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2016, 19:31   #1
BHPian

Innova replacement - Fortuner vs X1 vs Superb

Hello, fellow BHPians.

Since the last 6 years, the Toyota Innova (2009 make) has been a very reliable family car. It has clocked almost 1,15,000 kms and surely can go a long way. But now the engine feels a bit sluggish and being a car enthusiast himself, my father thinks that we need an upgrade to go on those long highway trips and I just couldn't agree more!

Now the biggest problem is finding a car which is as comfortable and spacious as the innova and at the same time fun and engaging to drive. As the grand i10 is used for the daily commute, this car is going to be used more on the highways and hence family comfort matters more than driving pleasure

Though we're just a family of 4, my parents have gotten used to the height, extra bootspace and legroom in the Innova so much, that they refuse to look at the sedans.

So the obvious choice was the new Innova Crysta, which according to me is not at all worth shelling out 26Lacs. Yet, we went for a test drive.
The crysta looks handsome when viewed from the front but somehow, the rear does not do justice at all. The interiors look decent, but it's still underequipped for a car with that price tag. After getting in on the driver seat, the first thing I noticed was the changed position of the steering. The seat is placed much higher than the previous innova and it felt a bit uncomfortable. Apart from that, the car did not excite me much and fortunately, my dad too, wasn't happy with it.
That brought us down to the following alternatives:

1. Toyota Fortuner
2. Mercedes GLA
3. Audi Q3
4. BMW X1

Toyota Fortuner
The car was on display when we took a test drive for the Innova. The fortuner is huge car and the first impressions were good. But the interiors of the fortuner feel too old school when compared to the other cars of the segment. The Ford Endavour gets loads of features for a lesser price which is very surprising. The exteriors are stylish and give it a very upmarket feel. It feels good when driving a fortuner as it gives you a feeling of being above everyone else, quite literally
The legroom and space are adequate and it seemed like a perfect upgrade.

Mercedes GLA
The minute my dad sat inside the GLA, he refused to even look at the specifications of the car. It is so cramped and the spare tyre in the boot eats up so much space that we didn't even request a testdrive.

Audi Q3
The Q3 felt nice and premium and hence we took a test drive. The Q3 is a sweet car with decent features and was comfortable too. The only problem was the rear seating which was not as spacious and the boot is not too large. There were good deals for the Q3 but the car just did not live up to the expectations.

BMW X1
Finally, a car which had enough space, good legroom, adequate features. The 2016 X1 is way better than it's predecessor. From a distance, you can easily mistake it for an X3. Full marks to the exterior styling. I simply fell in love with the car after driving it. My parents were happy with it too.

So, we finally shortlisted the X1 and the Fortuner. I was happy with the options which were shortlisted but I thought of making my parents try the Skoda Superb. Hence, I arranged for a testdrive. Taking the superb test drive was a total game changer. My parents who were refusing to even consider sedans were suddenly convinced that this was a worthy upgrade to the Innova. My mother preferred the Superb over the X1, which is justified, since she's never going to be behind the wheel. The superb is a fantastic car and has the best features among all the cars discussed in this thread. Also, the comfort in the Superb is unmatched without compromising on the driving pleasure.

Now there are 3 options and the more I think of it, the more confusing it gets for me which is why I thought of seeking help from fellow BHPians. Though we're more inclined towards the X1 or the Superb.

Also, existing Skoda and BMW owners, what is your take on the after sales service and maintainance of these cars?
The car we buy is going to be used for a good 5-6 years which is why Toyota seems safer though.

It would be great to get some advice on which car to go for out of the three.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th December 2016 at 22:16. Reason: Smileys = 2 per post.
SahilSawant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2016, 21:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Worthy upgrade to the Toyota Innova (Fortuner vs X1 vs Superb)

If your family finds the BMW X1 comfortable then that is worth considering.

It's a decent package for the money. The engine + gearbox combo are tried and tested. Most importantly you get a space saver which is placed in the wheel well and doesn't eat up your boot space. Overall reliability of BMW's has been decent in India. Infact I would rate them better than the VAG's.

Only if you plan to explore a lot of unexplored places and your car is regularly going to see no roads and face a lot of abuse should you consider the Fortuner. It's perfect for those conditions. After sales service & network are brilliant.

For typical national highway runs these big SUV's are going to be boring. The X1 will be better in this regard.

Last edited by asit.kulkarni93 : 18th December 2016 at 21:27.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2016, 21:50   #3
BHPian

re: Innova replacement - Fortuner vs X1 vs Superb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SahilSawant View Post

Now there are 3 options and the more I think of it, the more confusing it gets for me which is why I thought of seeking help from fellow BHPians. Though we're more inclined towards the X1 or the Superb.

Also, existing Skoda and BMW owners, what is your take on the after sales service and maintainance of these cars?
The car we buy is going to be used for a good 5-6 years which is why Toyota seems safer though.

It would be great to get some advice on which car to go for out of the three.
Thanks in advance!
Fortuner
- More car for less money
- Like literally more car, infact you could double up the GLA and it'd still be smaller than the fortuner
- Sorted car, if its anything like its predecessor, it should be niggle free and long lasting
- Off roading would be an option with it.
- After sales would be sorted too since you already know the Toyota workshop
- Poor quality interiors in front of the Germans. No premium wala feel will be felt here
- Even the 2L GLA would make the 3L Fortuner sweat in drag race

BMW X1
- Amazing looking car. Looks better than the X3, X4 and the X5. The X6 is still the best looking in my eyes
- As you mentioned, quite sizeable when compared to the GLA and Q3 and the old X1.
- BMW engines are well built and I've never heard complain from owners.
- Its built on a new platform favouring the front wheel drive set up even in the AWD avatar, some owners feel the understeer. But the AWD is completely off road-able.
- No rear view camera, that is enough for me to never consider this car.

Superb
- The Superb feeling can only be had in S-class, 7 series and the likes. My mother only travels in Superbs, Accords and Camry's on long journeys. She hates travelling in the SUV's.
- Once again, more car for money as compared to the Germans.
- Sedan, though boat like, is still a sedan and i feel better to drive than SUV's.
- Tricky after sales and parts management. Skoda worldwide need to take it up a notch or two.

After owning the Germans, I've found their after sales to be very poor. All of them. You have to choose the lesser evil of them. So best ask around the City if you've got friends and family about owning the car and whether this workshop is best left avoided or not. Moreover, Superb is actually Superb. In terms of comfort on journeys, no SUV on your list will ever come even remotely close to Superb.

Though it is a Skoda. So your call. Why don't you look at the 3GT? Also, id prefer Endeavour instead of the Fortuner. I think it looks so much better. If i had to choose between the X1, GLA, Q3, Endeavour and Fortuner, it'd be the Endeavour hands down. Id even pick the Fortuner before i chose the baby SUV's and i detest the way the new Fortuner looks. I think X1's and GLA's and Q3's are best as a 4th or 5th car. They are easy to drive as compared to their bigger siblings. Thats it. The engine option, emphasise on the singularity of the engine option we get is a joke.
Though for 5-6 years, i don't see any cars here to face issues with reliability. They should all last long.

Cars in preference:
1) 3GT
2) Superb/ Endeavour
3)...

hope this helps, happy hunting
mijnoirhammer67 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 19:16   #4
BHPian

Re: Innova replacement - Fortuner vs X1 vs Superb

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post

Only if you plan to explore a lot of unexplored places and your car is regularly going to see no roads and face a lot of abuse should you consider the Fortuner. It's perfect for those conditions. After sales service & network are brilliant.

For typical national highway runs these big SUV's are going to be boring. The X1 will be better in this regard.
Off-roading is never going to happen and I guess that is reason enough to not go for the fortuner. In comparison, it's just too boring to drive and barely any features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijnoirhammer67 View Post

Why don't you look at the 3GT?

Also, id prefer Endeavour instead of the Fortuner.

Haven't considered the 3GT as it exceeds the budget.

I did think of the Endeavour but then I was warned about the poor service quality of Ford and the irreparable problems which pop up after a few years.

Thanks for the input guys. I guess we'd have to take a call between the X1 and the Superb
Old 19th December 2016, 20:52   #5
BHPian

In my opinion you should seriously give a second thought t o the Ford Endeavour.
It's a full sized plush SUV, feature packed to the core. Has a premium feel. Loads of space! Ford reliability is much better compared to the Germans.
Build quality might be a notch below compared to the Germans but will age gracefully in the long run. Also will be much more troublefree to maintain.
An all rounder vfm product in my opinion.
Skyline_GT is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th December 2016, 10:14   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I did think of the Endeavour but then I was warned about the poor service quality of Ford and the irreparable problems which pop up after a few years.

Thanks for the input guys. I guess we'd have to take a call between the X1 and the Superb
Skoda makes Ford look like Mother Teresa. Ford's reliability is good. I agree with Skyline_GT: you should definitely give the Endeavour a close look.

Another car I'd strongly recommend is the Innova Crysta 2.8L ZX AT. If you loved what your ol' Innova offered, only the Innova Crysta will match it. And it's seriously gone upmarket, both in terms of power as well as interiors.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th December 2016, 11:01   #7
BHPian

Degree of risk with Ford is lesser compared to Skoda. if you had any doubts about Endeavor then just look at car of the year poll, its leading in SUV category.

But one thing is for sure you will not get Sedan level comfort in Endeavor. Closest you can probably get would be in X1 and it has brand name value also.
heydj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2016, 11:03   #8
Team-BHP Support

You’re moving from a Toyota, which is synonymous with reliability; so if you are stepping up to the Germans, be mindful of the related ownership costs associated.
If the upgrade is with badge value in mind, the X1 is a reasonably good option. Otherwise as others mentioned, go with the Endeavour. Take the TD with your parents, especially to check if your mother is comfortable to ‘climb into’ the car.

Happy shopping!
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2016, 11:50   #9
Team-BHP Support

I feel given your requirements, your best bet would hands down be the Endeavour.

You have a vehicle that's more reliable, dependable, easier to maintain, more flexible in usability than any of the Germans listed.
As full fat SUVs go, it feels a little more drivable than the Fortuner and less bulky.
You're well within the budgets you're considering.
It feels like a considerable upgrade over the Innova.
Interiors will feel better than the Crysta as well as (arguably) the Fortuner.
The German entry SUVs IMO are only badge value - will feel like a downgrade in terms of space and what you can do with the vehicle.
Skoda is a gamble. Choose it with full acknowledgment of that fact.

If you're absolutely against the Endy after checking it out, your next best bets are probably Fortuner and Crysta. Both will feel like an upgrade compared to old Innova.

There was a time when choosing a D segment (non German) SUV instead of a D segment sedan meant you were getting utilitarian interiors for comparable price. With the current iteration of Fortuner and Endy, that is no longer the case. While the D segment sedan may still be more luxurious, the SUV counterparts also sport very acceptable levels of luxury more commensurate to their price. Luxury factor is no longer an absolute sacrifice when picking these SUVs.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2016, 12:28   #10
BHPian

Quote:
As you would be switching from MUV, I feel a crossover is your best bet. So my vote goes to X1.

A sedan will be a big change for your family and you might miss the high seating. X1 will compensate that to an extent with providing decent driving pleasure with that AWD even if it is FWD bias.

But do get extended warranty of 5 years to have that peace of mind which you are used to because of Innova ownership.
the_skyliner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2016, 14:17   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
the Toyota Innova (2009 make) has been a very reliable family car. It has clocked almost 1,15,000 kms and surely can go a long way
You will get bored with new x1 very soon and will lose a lot of money. I can't probably explain but in my opinion, this is not the BMW any enthusiast will like to own. If you need something just for the snob value then it's ok.

Though I would have also recommended you to go for Endeavour, given your past experiences with Toyota and what the new Fortuner excels, I can easily suggest you go for a Fortuner. If you are not keen into 4x4, pick a regular 2 W Auto. I will suggest you go back to Toyota showroom in your Innova and do back to back drives of New Fortuner and then Innova. Ride in Endeavour, especially on rear seats, is not great and you fell bumps much harder. Then go back to BMW and check X1 in their parking lot with other cars. Don't check X1 in the showroom, if you can't find one, insist them to bring the car in open for you. That will give you a fair idea what you will be getting in X1. Better save the extra money that you will spend on a bimmer and keep aside for your next upgrade or just see if you can find a clean 2009-2010 old 3 series for the fun with the change

Quote:
Skoda makes Ford look like Mother Teresa
LOL, you made my day GTO. I was feeling sleepy ( it's 2 Am here in Calgary ) and then I went through your post

Last edited by Turbanator : 20th December 2016 at 14:25.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 15:33   #12
BHPian

Quote:

Oh my GOD if sales / service / reliability is even remotely on your list, then you cant move from the Champ - Innova to the absolute worst - Superb.

Do NOT get a Skoda if you arent prepared for the ownership experience. Skoda is about well built, expensive feeling cars which are very very very expensive to maintain if you have a bad piece.

Even BMW is not known for its service, but having owned a Skoda Superb, a BMW and a Ford, I can safely say that Ford is the most piece-of-mind, followed by the BMW. I spent so much on the Superb, that I could have bought a car one-class-higher if I had factored in the repair bills correctly before buying.
torquing_points is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2016, 12:53   #13
BHPian

Sorry for the late reply guys, was out of town for a few days.

After considering the Superb and X1, many people and existing skoda users warned me of their service quality. So superb was out.

Yet my dad is not fully convinced and wants to test the fortuner. So the decision is going to be taken in the next few days. Will keep y'all updated.

Also, thanks to everyone who have helped me with this decision!
Old 31st March 2017, 10:31   #14
BHPian

How about sprucing up your innova?
1. RD dieseltronics box
2. New upholstery and mats etc.
3. Better tyres.
4. Upgraded ICE

Except the ICE, I have done the above and also added magnetic sunshades. Innova doesn't really have a replacement.

With the moolah left, get a used polo/pajero (engaging drive), best of both worlds.

I second your observations on the crysta, even our driver who alternates between old Innova and 2.8 auto crysta prefers the old one.

Last edited by vikramvicky1984 : 31st March 2017 at 10:35.
Old 3rd April 2017, 01:44   #15
BHPian

First off, I apologise to not have updated this thread.

After a lot of detailed discussion within the family, we all zeroed down on the BMW X1 X-line s20d.
It's a beautiful car and I'm totally in love with it. It's been just three months and I've already clocked more than 5000 kms, and I don't even use it for my daily commute.
It's totally fun to drive and I'm glad I chose the car over all the other options considered. It's true that this car is meant for just 4 people, unlike the Innova or the Fortuner, but apart from the space factor, it's miles ahead.
I'd be glad to help anyone who needs more information on this. Thanks to everyone once again.

Btw, vikramvicky1984, I so wish you would've posted this a bit earlier. Just sold my older Innova last month. Thanks for your advice though
SahilSawant is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks