Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2017, 21:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Office close to home, Uber/Ola for everything else - Should I buy a car?

to all the people giving advice, do note that conditions are not quite the same as when most of us started working

When I started working 10 years ago, my indicab cost me 4.2L all inclusive, and I was earning 3.6L on a fresher software engineer salary. Diesel cost 30 Rs a Litre, and rents, food etc were all similarly cheaper
Now the very same indica will cost 6 odd lakhs (even more for a nicer car) diesel is 2X, and cost of living is a lot more.

Unfortunately your typical entry level software engineer is still paid 3.6L - you can buy a nice bike if you stretch, but a car is really too far out. Maybe possible if you are an MBA or a doctor etc
greenhorn is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 21:47   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

My suggestion: Get a used car.

* You are not in a hurry - so look around for deals
* You can afford a higher segment. Or at least the car that you really like
* Used means - dont have to take the depreciation hit like with a new car

* You are not tied to cabs, and you can travel wherever, whenever without having to think of cab availability.
condor is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 23:11   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Rather than splurging all the money, please start investing at least 20% of your earnings in a monthly SIP. 10 years down the line when you look at your savings, you'll love this one step. Go for a good mutual fund if you believe in it. Check our threads to get a good hang of it.
+1 to what swiftnfurious has mentioned, invest in SIP and do that in 100% equity funds. Target mid cap funds, because the mid cap funds would offer you brilliant returns on the long run of 4 to 5 years. The day when I took my first and the current job at a Bank, I wasn't aware of things like SIP and investments and one of my colleague cum friend introduced me to the aspect of savings via monthly installments. I have reaped rich dividends on my investment and have taken it upon me to ensure that all my family members, friends, customers and fellow bhpians realize the importance of a systematic investment plan. Start with a monthly investment of Rs 5000 wherein you can invest Rs 1000 each for five different fund houses and opt for Direct Plan with Growth option.

Now coming to the point of buying your own car. Nothing beats the feeling and usability of owning your own car. As GTO has rightly mentioned, since you are on team bhp then definitely automotive should be on top of your mind. I had waited for 4 years after taking up my first job in 2009 to buy a second hand Alto Lxi 2008 which I drove for over 30000 kms before selling it off in early 2016. Do not curb your urge, just go for a car which offers the best VFM preposition and CONGRATULATIONS on your first job. Wishing you the best in forthcoming years.
MDED is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 11:48   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
When I started working 10 years ago, my indicab cost me 4.2L all inclusive
Well, compared to a decade back, today you have a w-i-d-e-r choice of cars. Be it new or used. One can buy a nicer hatchback than the Indica for 4.2 lakhs, and with extended warranty support too. Example 1, 2, 3 and 4. These are just the quoted prices - you can easily knock off 30 - 50k off them with hard bargaining. Pune & Chandigarh prices (where OP is from) are even lower than the Mumbai ones I've shared.

I could find diesels too, but with his occasional running, petrols will do just fine.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 12:22   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrastinator View Post
If I think to buy a car, it doesn't make any sense economically.

In a nutshell, it's heart vs head
Buying a car rarely makes sense economically but then again lots of our buying choices don't make sense. Settle down in new job, shore up some finances and then buy a car within budget, as pleasure of driving and going on long drives with music up and windows down is unbeatable.
heydj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 12:46   #21
BHPian

Buy local made shoes rather than adidas or nike

Buy a mid range moto instead of an iphone

Buy street food instead of 5 star

Make coffee at home rather than having one at starbucks

book 3rd AC rather than 2nd AC train ticket

Save as much as you can - it won't affect your life. But buy a car of your dreams, finances be damned.

Driving your own car feels like you are always at home. You drive your world with you.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 13:18   #22
BHPian

Life is not about what you need, but what you deserve.
If you feel you deserve the life style, you visualise yourself in this way - then buy a car.

I had an i10 and during the waiting period of Jazz, i got used to UBER & OLA.
Its been three months i sold my less than a year old Jazz and took UBER and OLA way.

Reason: I hate Bangalore traffic. The traffic stressed me to the core. Even though I drove an automatic, the traffic was mad and i deserved a peace of mind.
I simply outsourced the head ache to others and i am much more happier now.

But note: Everything comes at a cost. Some day you might not get a cab. Some day you might need to pool with the most unbearable co-passengers. Be prepared to take the leap. Before everything, think again about what your "feeling" or passion is. Then gift yourself what you deserve not what you need.

Last edited by groom : 24th January 2017 at 13:24. Reason: pressed post button, by accident. Spell check. Dont want another infraction pls. ;-)
groom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 14:55   #23
BHPian

I would say live your life - Buy that car that you want and get that oomph in your life. I have a Figo Diesel for my Office commutes ( 50 - 60 kms a day), Ola Taxis when I go pubbing or parties. When I go long distance I book a zoomcar XUV. This works out best for me but again you are you!
Catalyst_delhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 15:24   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Some very good advice here already- let me just add my two cents...

- Go/No-go is completely your decision. From personal experience, the right time to buy is when you can comfortably afford the expense. Basic stuff like housing, investments takes priority. But if you can manage without too much trouble, why not?
- New or pre-owned? The latter offers tempting deals for sure- more car for less money! But since there is a high chance you will keep your first car for 7-8 years, why not choose something new close to the heart?
- As much as Uber/Ola & Zoomcar/Myles fill the gap for now, you do need a car for emergency situations and relaxed family outings. A petrol hatchback from the Maruti stable would be my suggestion. Easy on the pocket as the years go by. Hyundai or Toyota may also be a good bet. Avoid high-maintenance/iffy-reliability brands.
-If opting for pre-owned, see if you get something in the 3 year/30,000 km/ first-owner driven segment. I lucked out with my Swift 8 years ago and so may you!
noopster is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 15:44   #25
BHPian

The city in which you live, plays an important decision in this question. I live in Chennai and have to commute 15 kms and traverse through the most congested part of th city.

In my case Ola/Uber makes perfect sense as it gives me peace of mind and am able to check my mails before I reach office.

Also the route that I take, I have managed to catch Ola Share almost any time and to be honest, its made me lazy to drive a car in this crazy traffic.

I did buy an automatic to get over the pain of constantly shifting gears, still I prefer taking Ola as its more convenient and reserve the AT for weekend drives with family and occasional outstation trips.

That being said, if you have a passion for driving, don't give up. Buy a car, in fact you get good second hand cars these days, get one of those fun to drive cars like a Fiesta 1.6 and enjoy the drive over the weekends. These cars don't cost much and trust me, having used one for 7 years, maintenance is also not on the higher side provided you take good care.
Chillout is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 16:03   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

I can understand your dilemma and whichever way you look at it, the right thing would be to go for savings and invest in more important things at the moment or save for later. But then I also feel that sometimes we spend all our life trying to just save for that one day which might not even come or is over exaggerated in our minds ( aka the indian mentality). A car is just not a luxury but becomes a part of your life.

So my vote is to go in for one. I really like the route of lateral upgrade or used cars specially in your case where the expected running is low and initial investment needs to be on the lower side too. As someone suggested above, a used Fiesta 1.6, Honda civic are some of the examples where you can land yourself a mouth watering deal.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 16:54   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Buy a car buddy... the best you can afford. You are young and probably unmarried without responsibilities. If you won't enjoy now, then when!
avdhesh15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 17:24   #28
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by noopster : 24th January 2017 at 17:26.
Beerus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 17:44   #29
BHPian

Buy a car and Live out of that car.

Rent saved.

Parking Solution:
Use your office parking for nights and office rest rooms to shower/freshen up. Fuel expenses saved.

Food Solution:
Eat canteen food that should be heavily discounted or subsidized.

Obviously your social life will take a hit.
People at office will think you work long hours.

In less than a year you will recover all your costs and you might save enough for down-payment for new house!
daretodream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 17:49   #30
BHPian

Quote:
I have moved from college to job at a new place. My workplace and market are walking distance from home.
The intercity commutes are taken by Uber/Ola.

However,
I miss that oomph in my life because I do not drive.
If I think to buy a car, it doesn't make any sense economically.

Congratulations on the new job buddy. I am assuming that you are from chandigarh and have moved to Pune for your job. I too am from pune and have been driving around since the last decade. You definitely need a set of your own wheels in this place! Whether you decide to go in for 2 or 4 is upto you, but I would choose a nice zippy bike for my daily commutes and would look at some used cars a bit later.
All the best!
jomson13 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks