Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2017, 01:06   #1
BHPian

Office close to home, Uber/Ola for everything else - Should I buy a car?

I have moved from college to job at a new place. My workplace and market are walking distance from home.
The intercity commutes are taken by Uber/Ola.

However,
I miss that oomph in my life because I do not drive.
If I think to buy a car, it doesn't make any sense economically.

In a nutshell, it's heart vs head
procrastinator is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 01:19   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Office close to home, Uber/Ola for everything else - Should I buy a car?

I suggest against that. Instead of taking Uber/Ola, book a zoomcar or myles self drive car for the intercity runs. The good thing that is, you can try out different cars and not be stuck with one. Plus, it saves all the monthly EMIs, service cost, insurance and everything since your daily running wouldn't justify. You could instead look at a good bike for any quick commutes at your comfort.

Edit: Rather than splurging all the money, please start investing at least 20% of your earnings in a monthly SIP. 10 years down the line when you look at your savings, you'll love this one step. Go for a good mutual fund if you believe in it. Check our threads to get a good hang of it.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 23rd January 2017 at 01:23.
swiftnfurious is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 06:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Edit: Rather than splurging all the money, please start investing at least 20% of your earnings in a monthly SIP. 10 years down the line when you look at your savings, you'll love this one step. Go for a good mutual fund if you believe in it
In Thamizh there's a proverb that means, do not measure with empty hands; no better advice than what he said above!!

Basic point being buy whatever you like a motorcycle or car or even a house. But remember to save something, have something in form of substantial down-payment, if not full amount, or have near to zero commitments for huge loans before you buy anything. DO NOT fall into the trap of huge loans just because of Facebook advice like "Travel while you're young", "Live like there's no tomorrow", "One life" etc etc

Do what your heart says, but use the brain to get there
aargee is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 10:15   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I suggest against that. Instead of taking Uber/Ola, book a zoomcar or myles self drive car for the intercity runs. . .
Edit: Rather than splurging all the money, please start investing at least 20% of your earnings in a monthly SIP. 10 years down the line when you look at your savings, you'll love this one step. Go for a good mutual fund if you believe in it. Check our threads to get a good hang of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
In Thamizh there's a proverb that means, do not measure with empty hands; no better advice than what he said above!!

Basic point being buy whatever you like a motorcycle or car or even a house. But remember to save something, have something in form of substantial down-payment, if not full amount, or have near to zero commitments for huge loans before you buy anything. DO NOT fall into the trap of huge loans just because of Facebook advice like "Travel while you're young", "Live like there's no tomorrow", "One life" etc etc
Self drive rentals are very good solution to my problem. It's only that I have to plan before and the flexibility is compromised.
A very valid suggestion on investment.
The situation is either I can invest or spend on a car. You have hit the nail on head. Thank You guys

Quote:
Do what your heart says, but use the brain to get there
procrastinator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 10:34   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Office close to home, Uber/Ola for everything else - Should I buy a car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrastinator View Post
I miss that oomph in my life because I do not drive.
This one line sums it up.

If we had to live a need-based life, we'd all live in tiny houses, eat only simple home-cooked food (never eat out), use Rs. 5,000 basic phones and watch the news on 14" TVs.

There's more to life than just having what you 'need'. Going by your posts and the fact that you're on Team-BHP, you are obviously a car enthusiast. Go out and buy a car - car ownership provides immense satisfaction that's not matched by any rental service!

Of course, you need to ensure that your finances are in place and that you aren't going to move to a faraway city soon. If that's the case, rent a ZoomCar / similar. If not, go out and buy that car!

While I'll agree that Uber / Ola / Zoom and gang have made things super convenient, there is simply no substitute to having your own car. That said, these services have certainly negated the need for the 2nd / 3rd / 4th car of the house.

Last edited by GTO : 25th January 2017 at 20:45.
GTO is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 10:57   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, since you are here, looking for some 'favorable' advice to take that plunge, your head advises against, but heart yearns for - all I can say is, try to strike a compromise. Buying a car doesn't necessarily mean breaking your bank. Try to go the pre-owned route and minimize your upfront costs.

There are some wonderful threads available in the advice section - go through them and all your doubts would be answered.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...pees-less.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...car-india.html

All the best!
Dry Ice is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 11:00   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

What the heck? Its a automotive forum and how can we discourage a guy from buying a car.

Go get it man!

Internal combustion engines could be extinct in a couple of decades. Don't regret later.
kiku007 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 11:40   #8
BHPian

It's always convenient to own a car, no matter which one it is. Since you have just started new job, i am sure finances would be stringent initially. Maybe instead of going for new brand new car, go for pre-owned car. There are plenty of good pre-owned cars in market which you can enjoy for couple of years till you strengthen your financial situation and plan for new car of your choice.

You should keep financial balance while deciding between head vs heart. I am not saying save every penny for rainy days, but at same time don't squander all of your money that you will have to cut down on other necessities. Considering this, I feel a good pre-owned car would make perfect sense for you.
techcoze is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 11:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

In my view, for BHPians, Car is NOT a vehicle to commute from one place to another. Car is a Family Member who will be part of YOU, but added to the family at a later point in life when you are comfortable.

So, there is no question of thinking whether to add a member to the family. The question to think is only when you want to add the member.

So, Please do NOT think on whether to add the Car or not. Rather, suggest you to think whom to add (Whether SUV, MUV, Sedan or Hatch back)

All the best for your new Purchase !!
gkveda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 11:43   #10
Team-BHP Support

Basically, its like Simba entering a lion's den with a question "Guys, should I eat meat or healthy green vegetable salad"?
SmartCat is online now   (33) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 11:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

can you afford to own a car at 20% of your in hand salary or half your discretionary spend budget ?

Own = pay capital & operating expenditure

Last edited by greenhorn : 23rd January 2017 at 12:00.
greenhorn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 11:51   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Since this is a automotive forum and not a financial advisory one, get a car!
Go through the used car market, find a reliable brand and model which tickles your bits, while trying to maintain a semblance of restraint () financially.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 12:08   #13
Senior - BHPian

Let me share my opinion. I'm also in a similar condition as you.

Instead of buying a new car, you can get a very good deal on some used cars.

I use ola/uber and zoom car extensively. Most times, it's cheaper to use those than our abarth. For commutes to office/ trainings etc there's no fun to take Abarth through the traffic and spend time searching for safe parking.

I'll say you save money with the goal of buying a car in the future, and for now concentrate on savings.

For a young person who's just started his job, I can say that saving will be best option - the power of compounding is on our side and it's a good habit as well. At the same time, do go for weekend trips hiring a self drive car - this way you can enjoy as many different cars that you want.
blackwasp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 20:59   #14
BHPian

I think it makes perfect economic sense to buy an economy grade car. I'll make a case for it.

You take a weekend trip twice a month using Zoomcar. It would cost you Rs. 5000 per trip (for 500 km each time- that's the rate for a Swift/Figo for Zoomcar). Over a year it amounts to Rs. 60,000. Intra-city Ola/Uber commutes are cheap but they are not 100% reliable. I've been in a situation where I did not get a car when I finished a meeting in Bangalore and it started to rain. It gets very embarrassing to stand in the rain under a road side shop waiting for a Taxi, praying that your phone network doesn't disappoint you with 2G speeds. This is an exceptional situation but it can happen.

If you buy something like a used Alto K10 from Maruti for Rs. 200,000, it gives you immense flexibility, running costs that rival Autorickshaws and it is yours. You can go on long drives (safety is a concern but it can be managed if you're a careful driver). You can go out on dates in your car. You can pickup your relatives at the airport or station. You decide your schedule. You don't have to drive battered and bruised accident prone vehicles from Zoomcar by paying a premium.

That's just what I feel. If you decide to shift, you can sell the Alto after putting in 10-15k more kilometers for Rs. 170,000 (at this price it will sell out within a week). You paid 30,000 for your experience of owning a nice, comfortable, reasonably fast economy grade car. Yes, it won't be flashy but it will be useful. You will see how independent it makes you feel.

I lived alone in a village in West Bengal for a while. I stayed in the company accommodation, walked to work but I always drove to Kolkata in the car. It saved money, time and made me feel safer. With a driver, you always have to trust his instincts. Most importantly, I felt I had a means to escape. Once, a meeting did not go well. I left for a 20 km solo highway drive and instantly felt better.

Zoomcar or Uber won't be cheaper than a normal car. If that was the case, people in the US would have abandoned the idea of having a personal car. It will be cheap only if you watch where you go with an eye on the wallet. I don't suggest you do this since you're young, and youth won't come back to you. I'd say save and invest every penny you can-avoid flashy restaurants, try cooking yourself instead of depending on Swiggy or any other app, but drive. It is something you would love (else you wouldn't be on TeamBhp) and it makes perfect financial sense. Don't spend more than 2-3 Lakhs. Buy a car that has good resale value.

Maintenance costs for an Alto are about 4,000 per year at MASS. Even if you buy a used Swift, the combined cost of fuel, maintenance and convenience will be less than what you'd pay for availing startup powered transportation options.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd January 2017 at 23:56. Reason: Formatting the post.
Nissan1180 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 21:08   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

There is no way that I can financially justify buying and owning a car.

But I've got one
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (21) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks