Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2017, 13:01   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Ford EcoSport AT vs Honda Jazz CVT. EDIT: EcoSport booked!

Hi guys,

We are planning to buy a new AT car for my father. He currently used to be chauffeured in Sunny XLD but since last 6 months, our regular driver has left and several new candidates have come for the job but none could fit the basic eligibility requirement of knowing how to drive on the road. On questioning further, most confess during the TD that they were Valet car parking attendants and have no real experience of driving. Anyways to cut the story shot we finally decided to rather do off with both the driver and the car. The Sunny has covered 60k kms and will complete 5 years this April. So we have decided to sell it off and get a AT petrol car for dad which he can drive himself.

Our requirement:
1. Monthly running of not more than 1000 kms.
2. Automatic transmission
3. 100% city driving.

The choice has been narrowed down to the following 2 cars. Now there are threads on AT cars under 10L and AT cars above 10L but I find myself with 2 cars in my list, one from each of the segments.

1. Honda Jazz V CVT
2. Ford Ecosport AT ( Titanium)

Pros for the Jazz:
1. 2L cheaper than the Ecopsort.
2. Gains some extra features like bigger ICE screen, Auto-folding ORVMs, paddle shifters, rear parking camera.
3. Slightly better FE.
4. More spacious than the Ecopsort ( although this is off less significance as the car would only rarely see 5 passengers, if at all).

Pros for the Ecopsort:
1. Higher seating and ground clearance. Dad found this the biggest advantage as it gives you quite a commanding view of the road and also the car can negotiate broken down roads better than the Jazz.
2. More safety equipment including 6 airbags.

Dad likes the Ecopsort more due to the higher driving position. But I hear that a facelifted model is up for launch soon with the major change being in the ICE. The new touch-screen ICE from the pictures looks good but then I am sure b the time it is launched, prices would have also gone up by close to 1.5-2L.

Please advise.
drmohitg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 13:14   #2
BHPian

I believe 2 cars you should also consider are Ignis AMT (if you are looking for an easy to drive car in the city) or the Honda city if you are looking at a fun to drive car. The new City V or VX CVT is a very competent car. I have a Jazz which is a great car but the 1.2 is not an enthusiast delight. The Ignis has much better performance and since space is not a major criteria you can look at it. It has a reasonably high driving position too. Regarding the EcoSport I think you should wait for the new variant which should come by the end of the year. I dont think the price would be jacked up by more than 50k as because of the brezza ford will be foolish to increase the prices too much. Just my opinion.
ToyotaFan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 13:44   #3
BHPian

re: Ford EcoSport AT vs Honda Jazz CVT. EDIT: EcoSport booked!

If petrol, then :
Practicality = Jazz
Space, Performance = City
High GC, Performance = Ecosport (But only Ecoboost version)

Honestly, City is a good balance between performance and comfort. Go for the V variant and you'll get the max. rewards for your cash.

But the Ecosport is equally competent with higher GC and more safety (if you take Titanium+ variant) and smaller footprint in city. I'd recommend an Ecosport for your dad.

But wait. New version is launching soon. Or ask for deep discounts on the current version.

Last edited by The Brutailer : 24th February 2017 at 13:51.
The Brutailer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 13:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Higher seating and ground clearance. Dad found this the biggest advantage as it gives you quite a commanding view of the road and also the car can negotiate broken down roads better than the Jazz.
I would have normally suggested the Jazz, but since the car is driven by a senior citizen (or someone entering senior citizen territory), I think the height of the Ecosport is the reason you should choose the Ecosport.

You could try the Ignis if he's willing to drive a small car.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 14:11   #5
BHPian

What I most dislike about Ecosport are the blind spots created by both the A pillars and the D pillars. On the other hand Jazz has great all round visibility. While the commanding view does help, its not comparable to the advantage that clear views from A and D pillars provide. In addition there have been some issues reported on the DSG box from Ford.

If higher seating and ground clearance are the primary reason for Ecosport, you might want to wait for WR-V. Its Jazz in a C-SUV avatar.

Last edited by GTO : 24th February 2017 at 17:30. Reason: Typos
autorahul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 14:18   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
I would have normally suggested the Jazz, but since the car is driven by a senior citizen (or someone entering senior citizen territory), I think the height of the Ecosport is the reason you should choose the Ecosport.

I second this recommendation.

The primary reason being,
In any sedan, you need to creep in while entering into. Where as in EcoSport, you can just walk in and sit.
This would be very beneficial/comfortable for Sr. Citizens.
I am sharing this based on my own Parents' experiences.

Also, in case if your father is the prime user of this vehicle, he may be comfortable with any kind of ICE. Pls check that as well.

Regards,
Maverick79.
Maverick79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 14:19   #7
BHPian

Quote:

1. Honda Jazz V CVT
I don't want to confuse further so I shall choose between the cars that you have shortlisted.

If budget is not a constraint I'd recommend the Ecosport AT

Reason:

1. Higher seating position
2. Bigger engine with more power and torque
3. Better built than the Jazz
4. Top notch safety: 6 airbags, EBA, ESC, TCS, HLA & ISOFIX
5. The DCT is high on tech
6. Telescopic steering
7. Adjustable rear headrest
8. 60:40 split rear seat

So its worth the price difference

Quote:
Dad likes the Ecopsort more
Time to give the man what he likes

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 24th February 2017 at 14:27.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 15:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

Let him do a back-to-back spin of both the vehicles. If he is able to manage the blind spots well, then Ecosport it is. The only element of risk is the one-off TCM failures of the DCT, but Ford's been better at responding when compared to say DQ200 of VW (related thread here).
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 17:03   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
I believe 2 cars you should also consider are Ignis AMT (if you are looking for an easy to drive car in the city). I have a Jazz which is a great car but the 1.2 is not an enthusiast delight.
I will check the Ignis although to be honest I am not too keen on a MSIL product. People love their swifts and Dzires but I am yet to see a MSIL car within my family and friends which doesn't rattle. That is the reason we chucked out Ignis and Baleno without TD either.

What FE do you get in your Jazz in city traffic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
If petrol, then :
Practicality = Jazz
Space, Performance = City
High GC, Performance = Ecosport (But only Ecoboost version)

Honestly, City is a good balance between performance and comfort. Go for the V variant and you'll get the max. rewards for your cash.
The city is too expensive for our needs right now. So we are limiting ourselves to 11L OTR which is what the Ecosport AT is going to cost. The Ecoboost engine is not offered with an AT box so it is not a possiblity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post

Bang on. Most cars have low seating. And with my father nearing 60 now, this was a major criterion and the reason for him to love the Ecosport. I will check the Ignis too once although not very keen on a MSIL product. Plus the AMT box would be really dull to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
If higher seating and ground clearance is the primary reason for Ecosport, you might want to wait for WR-V. Its Jazz in a C-SUV avatar.
There are still no clear dates available for the WR-V launch and the expected price point. Also it would be in all likely-hood be offered with the same 1.2L engine which for its size would be a rather disappointing choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79 View Post

Also, in case if your father is the prime user of this vehicle, he may be comfortable with any kind of ICE. Pls check that as well.
He is comfortable with a basic ICE set up which offers BT connectivity for his phone. After all the reason for shifting to a self driven AT car is that he can attend to his calls easily while on the go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
I don't want to confuse further so I shall choose between the cars that you have shortlisted.

If budget is not a constraint I'd recommend the Ecosport AT
5. The DCT is high on tech
Budget is not an issue. I have been driving an Ecopsort AT since last 2 days now and honestly I am not really impressed. Infact to be honest somewhere this was the reason I have put the query on the forum as otherwise my father prefers the high riding position of the Ecopsort. The DCT jerks at lower speeds. This car that I am driving has only done 8500 kms so far and is a year old. The jerking is not constant and comes only sometimes. Also the gear shift was nothing to great and the 1.5L engine doesn't really respond too happily to itching right foot. Overall for sedate driving, I found it to be ok but then had expected a lot more after hearing a lot about the DCT tech on the forum.

I am unable to lay my hands on a Jazz CVT. None of the dealers I have called have one available. A friend has the Amaze AT. Would it offer the same experience as the Jazz CVT? I can get the Amaze for a day to drive around and assess it.

Last edited by drmohitg : 24th February 2017 at 17:08.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 17:36   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

+1 to Autorahul - You should wait for the WR-V. It's a mix of all the advantages you see in the Jazz & EcoSport.

Plus, Dads are usually very happy with 'fresh' models.

From the two cars you've listed though, I'd pick the EcoSport. Higher seats, more solid build, bigger engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
What I most dislike about Ecosport are the blind spots created by both the A pillars and the D pillars.
They are bad, but I wouldn't consider them to be a deal breaker. Takes getting used to + driver needs to be a little more cautious.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 17:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A friend has the Amaze AT. Would it offer the same experience as the Jazz CVT? I can get the Amaze for a day to drive around and assess it.
The facelifted Amaze AT has a CVT which is most likely the same unit in the Jazz.

The older Amaze AT had a 5 speed Torque Converter.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 17:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

I will recommend the Ecosport AT for better ingress, high seating and a bigger engine. Jazz CVT with that 1.2 is not a fun car. Gets the job done, but nothing special.

If I may suggest, kindly take a TD of the WagonR AMT (O) versions. I know it's not a consideration, but it has one of the best ingress and egress of the various cars my grandmother (75+) has sat in. Since the usage is also limited to city, a compact car will be friendly for parking.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 17:54   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
+1 to Autorahul - You should wait for the WR-V. It's a mix of all the advantages you see in the Jazz & EcoSport.
But isn't it touted now to be coming in with the same 1.2L engine? We write that as a point under cons for Jazz. The same engine doing duty in the larger and more heavier WR-V will be just more lethargic right?
Old 24th February 2017, 18:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Close eyes & simply opt for Ecosport for the below 3 primary reasons...
1. Highest safety in that segment & more
2. Ford is making a punching come back & taking India business seriously unlike Honda
3. Maintenance cost is much economical than Maruti which is less than Honda

Quote:
But isn't it touted now to be coming in with the same 1.2L engine?...WR-V will be just more lethargic right?
May be you can wait for WRV, but Honda's reputation is to kill themselves by calling them premium. Whatever they offer, competitors offer more & better. Don't know about DL, but here at Capital Honda, they aren't responsive nor show any enthusiasm to sell. Hell, even Gurudev Skoda shows some interest in selling Rapid.

Last edited by aargee : 24th February 2017 at 18:18.
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 18:21   #15
BHPian

Quote:
But isn't it touted now to be coming in with the same 1.2L engine? We write that as a point under cons for Jazz. The same engine doing duty in the larger and more heavier WR-V will be just more lethargic right?
It is made to look larger, with higher ground clearance, beefed up wheel arches and SUV styling, however its still largely based on Jazz. There would not be any significant increase in length either. So weight is expected to remain pretty much the same. And that engine is nowhere close to being termed lethargic. Its not as fun as, say a Polo GT TSI (very few are), but its still better than the i20 1.2

With launch of City, they have further improved the CVT gearbox, and I am hopeful that the same will trickle down to the WR-V too.

The WR-V is widely expected to debut on 16th March and has already started reaching the dealerships.
autorahul is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed