Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2006, 13:08   #1
BHPian

Help with purchase - Gypsy King

I plan to get a jeep for offroading / bird watching trips. Not intended for regular city use. I have narrowed down on Gypsy king - Soft top. Planning to Mod the rear a little to have fixtures for camera tripod etc.,

Any other suggestions on a better vehicle in the sub 10L range. Need a jeep type, open rear half. So scorpio / safari's are ruled out.

Last edited by harishsegar : 31st October 2006 at 13:12.
Old 31st October 2006, 13:28   #2
Team-BHP Support

Gypsy is your best bet.
Since you need it only for wildlife trips Petrol cost wont be much of an issue.
Moreover its quieter, if you get a diesel jeep the noise will be bad for birds.
There are some wildlife sancturies which allow only petrol driven 4x4s, dont know about the names.
Your other option is to wait for the new Tata single cab SUT(New telcoline).
Its rumoured to have a 115+ bhp engine which is pretty queit too.
you can go for a double cab too and yet have enough space for camera tripod fixture etc.,
Cost will be around 8L
We owned a gypsy king carb type for about 2 years, and it was simply amazing in its offroad capability.
Moreover the cost is just 5L for the 80bhp mpfi version.
Old 31st October 2006, 13:46   #3
BHPian

Thanks tsk1979. Gypsy is the best i could find too and yes, i definitely require a quieter engine.

I have the tata SUT on watch list but it looks more like they are just overpricing the 207 with some bells and whistles. I hope they are claiming it to be a quieter engine both from inside & outside the cab. Wont help if it is just cab insulation done well and the engine is noisy on the outside.

Wouldnt want to get a very expensive jeep though.. trips through the vegetation and shiny paints dont get along
Old 31st October 2006, 13:52   #4
BANNED

Gypsy is Gypsy. End of story.

Nothing else comes close, so no point dragging up the usual suspects - Bolero Invader, Tata 207, Trax yada yada...
Old 31st October 2006, 15:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

Has to be the gypsy absolutely no competetor to it since all others are diesel engined and noise is a big factor for those bird watching trips.

Lots of space in the back for all your needs and mods.
Old 31st October 2006, 15:23   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishsegar
Thanks tsk1979. Gypsy is the best i could find too and yes, i definitely require a quieter engine.

I have the tata SUT on watch list but it looks more like they are just overpricing the 207 with some bells and whistles. I hope they are claiming it to be a quieter engine both from inside & outside the cab. Wont help if it is just cab insulation done well and the engine is noisy on the outside.

Wouldnt want to get a very expensive jeep though.. trips through the vegetation and shiny paints dont get along
The new engine (DICOR 3.0 and hopefully the 2.2) is pretty quiet. I was standing next to a current DICOR safari and it was pretty quiet, though not as quiet as the gypsy.
There are couple of problems with gypsy which I forgot to mention.
1. Extremely uncomfortable ride.
2. Spare parts : Our king had busted clutch plates, and though we hunted some 5 authorized dealers in Ludhiana, none of them had king clutch plates, all had the old gypsy plates. So check with people in your area(gypsy owners) how is the spares scene in your city.
Old 31st October 2006, 18:56   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
1. Extremely uncomfortable ride.
This was the only thing stopping me from getting it right away. Even though i will use it in wildlife trails, i still need to drive all the way to get there. Any options on making the ride comfortable?

Spares is something that cant be helped. Need to just cross fingers and hope the dealer does a good job sourcing it.
Old 31st October 2006, 19:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
2. Spare parts : Our king had busted clutch plates, and though we hunted some 5 authorized dealers in Ludhiana, none of them had king clutch plates, all had the old gypsy plates. So check with people in your area(gypsy owners) how is the spares scene in your city.
Does it not use the same plates as the Esteem?
Old 31st October 2006, 20:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Has the production of Gypsy spares been discontinued or temporarily ceased??
Why is sourcing Maruti spares such a tough such thing when generally Maruti=service!
Old 31st October 2006, 21:35   #10
Team-BHP Support

Gypsy is only made to order for civilians. Maruti will make gypsy till army wants it.
As for clutchplates, the only other vehicle whose clutch plate fits the gypsy is Eicher tractor(A fact told to me by out expert service guy from non authorized station). Luckily we could source the plates, but he said, dont fret if you cant he would fit in the tractor ones!!

As for the comfort factor, the driver has okay comfort as long as the roads are not too bad. You can go for fatter bigger tyres for more cushioning.
Another thing which is done(do only if you are not loading the vehicle) is to remove one leaf from the spring. But it is highly risky and should not be done unless you are really desperate.
You could wait for SUT with new engine if you are really a stickler for comfort
Old 1st November 2006, 15:36   #11

HI Guys,

Excuse me for jumping into ur thread.

I am desparate to buy a gypsy King mpfi model. Can anyone help me on where i can get a good condition second hand one?

I have tried various places already and am at the verge of giving up :((
Old 1st November 2006, 17:08   #12
BHPian

Another thing.. how much is the average of a gypsy king mpfi?
Old 1st November 2006, 17:14   #13
Team-BHP Support

We used to get 10kmpl in city and around 14 on highway for Carb King. MPFI should give slightly more. For your use offroad expect around 7-8
Old 2nd November 2006, 11:32   #14
BHPian

Thats decent enough. I guess the only issue with Gypsy is the ride comfort. Any aftermarket suspension available to make ride smoother? Dont want to compromise the offroad handling though.
Old 2nd November 2006, 11:42   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishsegar
Thats decent enough. I guess the only issue with Gypsy is the ride comfort. Any aftermarket suspension available to make ride smoother? Dont want to compromise the offroad handling though.
I suggest you take a ride in a gypsy and see if you face any problems in the front seats. If you find it extremely uncomforable, you can wait for the new engined Telcoline which will be somewhat quiet

Most Viewed