Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2017, 08:16   #16
BHPian

re: Honda City CVT vs BR-V CVT vs Hyundai Creta A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
I own the City ZX CVT and the BRV CVT and am in Mumbai. You are free to get your family and try out both the cars.

My wife was the sole user of BRV ( till the new City came in) and she isn't happy shifting to the City, main reason being the seating of BRV was higher and she felt more confident. Thin seats, not really as I have Art leather seats installed from ORCHIS and that bulks them up.

If you are looking for a functional car, go for the BRV. If you want a good and pleasant ( interiors) looking car, then City it is. However, if you are 6 feet 2 as a TBHP'ian OSH is, then your head is going to hit the roof. As for me, I am 5.6 and even at the tallest setting, I find the driver's seat a tad bit low slung. This being the main reason, my wife still prefers using the BRV over the City.
Thank you for the offer.
Even I was looking to go down the orchis route if I finally decide the brv way. Could you please post a few photos of the seats post the orchis treatment?
Yes I am 6'2". But having driven the civic, managed to find a suitable position on the city as well with the seat slid back and taken to its lowest point. Low slung is not a issue with me
Today my relatives are coming home with a brv cvt. Will take an extensive TD.
Old 23rd April 2017, 21:25   #17
BHPian

Took an extensive TD of the brv v cvt today. Following were my observations:-
a. Functional is the one word i'd use to describe it (Agree with bhpian riteshritesh here)
b. The ground clearance is a big boon.
c. The car with 5266 km on the odo had the rear glass (on the boot lid) rattling. The ASS asked the owner to bring it in for some additional packing.
d. The aftermarket reversing camera was malfunctioning.(this is what am scared of).
e. The interiors felt low rent (didn't exude a premium feeling), didn't feel like a car worth a million bucks.
f. Driving the ivtec cvt was a pleasure even on steep upslopes.
g. The seats were comfortable putting my initial apprehensions to rest. The middle row was delightful with the incline set to max.
All in all, considering the urgency of my requirement, if I don't get my city zx delivered by the first half of May, I'll go in for the brv (which I believe is readily available).
handsofsteel is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 09:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

Why not consider the Hexa AMT ? Brilliant car and packaging. As a matter of fact the AMT is better than the manual, and thats not just my opinion but that of a lot of seasoned drivers as well. Very premium on the inside. Take a test drive, you should like it.
Old 24th April 2017, 10:38   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
All in all, considering the urgency of my requirement, if I don't get my city zx delivered by the first half of May, I'll go in for the brv (which I believe is readily available).
I am sure if you pressurise the dealer, maybe with compromise on colour, he can make the City available for you. You can also enquire with multiple dealers, to see if you are able to get it.

There are 2 other cars which you may consider, and should save some significant cash.

First is Ecosport Titanium 1.5 DSG. Your requirement is mostly for city running, and the smaller dimensions would definitely help. It also features 6 airbags like the City, and arguably better built than the BR-V. What you lose majorly is the touchscreen system.

Next comes Ciaz Alpha. It is nearly as loaded as the City, save for the 6 airbags, maybe a slightly smoother AT system which is mated to that beautiful i-Vtec engine. The ICE is really good and the it looks striking in the new blue colour.
autorahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 11:42   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Took an extensive TD of the brv v cvt today. Following were my observations:-
a. Functional is the one word i'd use to describe it (Agree with bhpian riteshritesh here)

Yes. the windows seem to be made of some el cheapo material. The rattle is very obvious when driving with the windows half down.
I drove the City yesterday from Dadar to Mulund and back in the evening and all I can advise is to wait for your ZX to be delivered.

The gear and control panels are backlit, the sunroof is a boon in the evenings and the car feels posher inside out, maybe because of the beige interiors. The auto dimming RVM, the auto closing side view mirrors ( when car is turned off and one forgets to close them), the DRL's, the permanent ECO button, the OEM Leather seats, rear USB connectors, the boot opening on remote, the utility pockets on the front 2 seats, etc etc make it worthwhile.
The BRV on account of its all black interiors feels very dull and claustrophobic. But this is just my opinion.
Don't rush, wait for your ZX.

Edit:My BRV seats look sad. I chose full black( younger daughter stands on the seats with her footwear on) with Silver piping and they don't look great. I will send a picture later on. She has managed to gnaw at places like a rat too.

Last edited by riteshritesh : 24th April 2017 at 11:47.
riteshritesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 19:22   #21
BHPian

Re: Honda City CVT vs BR-V CVT vs Hyundai Creta A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post

There are 2 other cars which you may consider, and should save some significant cash.

First is Ecosport Titanium 1.5 DSG. Your requirement is mostly for city running, and the smaller dimensions would definitely help. It also features 6 airbags like the City, and arguably better built than the BR-V. What you lose majorly is the touchscreen system.

Next comes Ciaz Alpha. It is nearly as loaded as the City, save for the 6 airbags, maybe a slightly smoother AT system which is mated to that beautiful i-Vtec engine. The ICE is really good and the it looks striking in the new blue colour.
I did consider these two. The team BHP reviews are highly critical of the performance of the ecosport transmission in city traffic particularly the tendency to hunt between gears 1 and 2. Hence discarded.
As regards the ciaz AT, it's an archaic 4 speed with an engine probably on its last legs. Despite best efforts, couldn't find many ownership reviews. The ciaz sells primarily for its shvs diesel. Also, my neighbor has a ciaz diesel and the rattles within 3-4 months were disconcerting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
all I can advise is to wait for your ZX to be delivered.
Don't rush, wait for your ZX.
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Why not consider the Hexa AMT ? Brilliant car and packaging. As a matter of fact the AMT is better than the manual, and thats not just my opinion but that of a lot of seasoned drivers as well. Very premium on the inside. Take a test drive, you should like it.
I did, in fact had an extensive TD. I loved it personally, so did the wifey but she deemed it too big for our use which is primarily in the city.
Old 24th April 2017, 20:43   #22
BHPian

Hello handsofsteel,

It's nice to see that you have narrowed down to Creta, City ZX, and the BR-V.

From my perspective, both the Creta and the City are almost at par with each other, in terms of petrol AT. (The diesel Creta would leave the City diesel in the dust)
No point in looking at the BR-V when you are looking at the City. All the Honda cars based on the Brio platform feel very less premium (putting it the best way I can). From the City's point of view, the BR-V is cheap.

The XUV5OO (I had test driven the new age XUV about a year back), I personally did not like the layout from the driver's seat. The seats were good, but the steering and the gear lever didn't have the perfect angle which is found in the City. Also, I had taken a couple of friends with me for the test drive. They did not like the back seat space in the XUV (After I adjusted the seating to my height of 6'3")

In your opening post, you mentioned a lot of premium features, which makes me feel that you are inclined towards the Honda City ZX.

As I own a Honda City VX i-VTEC manual (the pre-facelift) model ODO at 82000kms, I can tell you that the City is quite a premium car at the price, and you would definitely feel at home from the moment you sit in the driver's seat. Since your coming from a Honda Civic, don't expect the City to be as premium as the Civic. The Civic is still ahead of the City as an enthusiast's car. There are ways to make the City more "alive" (Remaps, PedalTune, etc).

The Hyundai Creta is definitely a beautifully made car from the Hyundai stable. I had gotten a chance to test drive the Creta a few weeks back. The ride comfort is much better than the City on broken tarmac, the CRDi diesel, refinement and the ground clearance is also a big plus on the Creta. (Although the Ground Clearance can be fixed on the City with bigger and wider tires especially since the City comes with 16 inchers.) The City definitely has an edge over the Creta over some nice to have features like a sunroof, frameless auto-IRVM, all LED lights, etc. and the petrol i-VTEC of the City is always going to leave a smile on your face.

In my honest opinion, chose a car that you feel connected to, and if you regularly drive on almost well-maintained roads you can buy the City. If your driving on roads filled with mountains as speed breakers, deep craters which make you feel as you have landed on the moon; the Creta is a no-brainer.

P.S. ASC experience depends on the dealer which you visit and the rapport you have with the service manager. (It is the same for both Honda and Hyundai, in my opinion)

I hope I was able to help with your decision.

Wish you many happy miles on your new machine !!
themonster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 21:02   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by themonster View Post

No point in looking at the BR-V when you are looking at the City. All the Honda cars based on the Brio platform feel very less premium (putting it the best way I can). From the City's point of view, the BR-V is cheap.

In my honest opinion, chose a car that you feel connected to, and if you regularly drive on almost well-maintained roads you can buy the City. If your driving on roads filled with mountains as speed breakers, deep craters which make you feel as you have landed on the moon; the Creta is a no-brainer.

P.S. ASC experience depends on the dealer which you visit and the rapport you have with the service manager. (It is the same for both Honda and Hyundai, in my opinion)

I hope I was able to help with your decision.

Wish you many happy miles on your new machine !!
Thank you for your detailed post and the wishes.Mileage is another factor where the Honda had the edge, I believe.
Totally agree with the comments about the a.s.c. To be very honest, I have had nothing but bad experiences at Honda ASCs at Mumbai. The saving grace is, you rarely need them.
Old 24th April 2017, 21:21   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for your detailed post and the wishes.Mileage is another factor where the Honda had the edge, I believe.
Totally agree with the comments about the a.s.c. To be very honest, I have had nothing but bad experiences at Honda ASCs at Mumbai. The saving grace is, you rarely need them.
Hello again handsofsteel

Mileage is a dual-edged sword for the Honda. In really heavy traffic, I have gotten as low as 11kmpl, and for moderate traffic, it averages anything between 12-14 kmpl. On the highways, I see between 17-21 kmpl.

Actually, I meant about the ASC charging for things which we don't need like A/C disinfection, Engine Dressing, Rat repellent, etc. (I have forgotten the entire list of scams which ASCs do). I usually give my car directly to the Manager (For Service as well as Repair/Bodyshop).
In terms of Accident repair, Honda does well, but you have to be patient, especially for insurance claims.
For Hyundai, their average turnaround time is 10-14 days, even for major accidents and the best part is that their repairs are near to factory finish (as far as I have seen).
themonster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 23:52   #25
BHPian

Just new piece of news came in which might sound wonderful to your ears! Posting from another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
According to a Zigwheels' exclusive, the Duster petrol CVT option will come paired to a re-tuned 1.5L engine borrowed from the Nissan Sunny/Renault Scala, tweaked to produce 106PS power and 142Nm of torque.

The petrol CVT variant, dubbed the "RxS", will slot between the RxL and the RxZ trims, and will have features such as 16-inch gunmetal alloy wheels, a 7-inch touchscreen without navigation, a black front grille, dual airbags, red contrasting interiors and an Eco mode.

It will come in a new Fiery Red colour, and will be priced at Rs 10.3 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi.

Producing a claimed FE figure of 14.99 kmpl, the 1.5L Duster petrol CVT will be officially launched within the next 2 weeks.
autorahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2017, 04:41   #26
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda City CVT vs Honda BRV CVT vs Creta A/T

Quote:
Hello all!
I am in the market for a new car more than a month now having sold my Civic VMT 08 last month and am no nearer to finalising my next ride. Without much ado, i will list down my requirements first: -
Mandatory Attribute-
Automatic -
Wife wants it! Period!
SPACE!! - We are a TAAALL family.
Desirable Attributes-
Ground Clearance
Sunroof
Cruise Control
SUVish looksNow to follow the recommended forum template-
  • Cars short listed - City, BRV, XUV 5OO and Creta
  • Price range - anything upto XUV W10
  • Maintenance & After Sales Service (A.S.S.) expectations-Niggle free
  • Average distance traveled per month - 500-1000km/month
  • Where car will be mostly used (city / highway / rough roads etc) - Metros with occasional highway trips
  • Chauffer driven / self driven - Self
  • Whether the vehicle will be shared by other members of family- by my wife
  • Any specific requirements from car (ex. Better luggage space, responsive engine, rear seat comfort) -rear seat comfort and should not me claustrophobic
  • How long you intend on keeping this car (and how important resale is to you) - 5-10 years
The city zx seems a no-brainer but for the body shape. ( Ive already booked i considering the waiting time but am open to cancelling it)

The Creta,for what it offers in terms of features, is slightly expensive.
The BRV - Why couldnt it have had better seats, a HU and Reversing Camera
The S Cross would've definitely been my go-to car if only it had an automatic.
So fellow members, Please help!!

Oh! and did I mention, I need the car fast, Maximum within a month!
SPACE = Honda City. Legspace is MORE than Creta since it is 13cm longer. Creta is only 9" legspace, just 1" more than say an Aspire

But for bad roads, you should stick to Creta. Creta takes potholes beautifully.

BRV is somewhere in the middle. Amazing legroom (11"), SUVish looks but neither here nor there.

Mind you, you can't drive fast on bad roads with all these three cars.
phamilyman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th May 2017, 17:20   #27
BHPian

The dreaded price hike finally arrived. Was told 14.6k. Spoke to my S.A., he confirmed that he would indicate me the delivery schedule on 04 May. The date came and went and there was no response. After I called him again (pestered him is more like it), he said that no zx cvt was allocated to them this month. Asked me if I was ok with vx cvt which was available in stock in a few colours(steel, c. Red). Didn't like the Colors on offer, whereupon I was told regretfully that they had no idea about the delivery date, just that, it wouldn't be this month either.
Fed up with their track record of delivery and my urgent requirement, asked for brv which I believed was readily available. I was told that too would be 7 days from booking(transit time from factory). Asked him if a jazz cvt was available. And lo! He said two were available for ready delivery. Both in white. Delivered to him on 14 April, mfgd in Mar(as per vin no). Odo reading showing 3 and 3.3 km.
Offers-
1. Free insurance(traded it for 20k cash back)
2. Free pillows(useless for me), mud flaps, floor mats. Asked for car cover too.. Getting it. Anything else I should ask for?
3. Teflon coating.
Few doubts,
1. should I go for wrv alloys and r16 wheels? To increase GC.Dealer says possible, will quote separately.
2. Extended 3&4 year warranty+ RSA for 4 th year. Is it really required? 12.5k for both.

Went ahead and booked it. (Saved 5 lacs over zx cvt!!)
I know it's quite a jump from zx cvt to jazz v cvt. More on that later.
handsofsteel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2017, 20:55   #28
BHPian

Quote:
The dreaded price hike finally arrived. Was told 14.6k. Spoke to my S.A., he confirmed that he would indicate me the delivery schedule on 04 May. The date came and went and there was no response. After I called him again (pestered him is more like it), he said that no zx cvt was allocated to them this month. Asked me if I was ok with vx cvt which was available in stock in a few colours(steel, c. Red). Didn't like the Colors on offer, whereupon I was told regretfully that they had no idea about the delivery date, just that, it wouldn't be this month either.
Fed up with their track record of delivery and my urgent requirement, asked for brv which I believed was readily available. I was told that too would be 7 days from booking(transit time from factory). Asked him if a jazz cvt was available. And lo! He said two were available for ready delivery. Both in white. Delivered to him on 14 April, mfgd in Mar(as per vin no). Odo reading showing 3 and 3.3 km.
Offers-
1. Free insurance(traded it for 20k cash back)
2. Free pillows(useless for me), mud flaps, floor mats. Asked for car cover too.. Getting it. Anything else I should ask for?
3. Teflon coating.
Few doubts,
1. should I go for wrv alloys and r16 wheels? To increase GC.Dealer says possible, will quote separately.
2. Extended 3&4 year warranty+ RSA for 4 th year. Is it really required? 12.5k for both.

Went ahead and booked it. (Saved 5 lacs over zx cvt!!)
I know it's quite a jump from zx cvt to jazz v cvt. More on that later.
Hello handsofsteel,

Congratulations on your soon-to-be new ride !!

Too bad it had to be a downgrade from the City.

Wishful thinking, but try asking for footwell lighting and LED scruff plates (at least at a discounted price). These will definitely improve the overall ambiance inside the car.

For the 16" alloys, if the dealer is offering a decent buyback value on the stock alloys, then you can go for it. Do remember that in the long run, ride comfort will take a slight hit; but handling will definitely go up. Also, if the dealer is giving you warranty along with the tires upgrade, that's like going to a pretty sweet deal, which is very difficult to get.

3rd & 4th year warranty is your choice. It offers complete peace of mind, and it even covers parts like door rubber beading (which costs around Rs. 1500/-) and it particularly helpful for some motor which might fail). 4-year RSA is like a guardian angel always having your back. You will never know when you might need it. (I personally have taken 3rd & 4th year extended warranty through which I had once replaced a rear door rubber beading and I have taken 4-year RSA. I had received my car from the first batch of cars which were known to have a LOT of niggles. So I had just taken it for peace of mind.)

I think the actual jump is from a Honda Civic to a Honda Jazz.

A little off topic, but I had to mention it. I had waited 8-9 months for my Honda City i-VTEC back in the year 2014. I had booked for the 3rd gen City in August 2013 and was told delivery in October 2013. In the last week of September, I had received a call telling me that the production of Citys were stopped and the new model will arrive soon, I could either cancel the booking, take the money back or shift to another car available at that time (Brio, Amaze, CR-V). Come January 2014, the 4th gen Honda City was launched, but only in it's Diesel avatar. People who had booked the petrol had to wait another 2 months. I had patiently waited till March 2014, when I had my car allotted to me, and delivered.
Old 8th May 2017, 15:50   #29
BHPian

Folks,

I am in the same quandary as the OP with couple of differences.

1) Automatic is a must but my budget is till around Rs. 15 lacs.
2) I had a 17 year old Honda Accord which just died. My other car is a Xylo which is the 2010 top end model and still has 2-3 years life left in it.
3) So ideally I want to have a sedan so that when combined with the Xylo, I will have a sedan for city driving and Xylo for long drives.

I had also narrowed it down to either Creta AT or the City ZX AT. I am 6'1" so definitely need enough legroom/headroom while driving. Also I have a requirement of 5 people. 3 adults plus 2 grown kids.

My thought was I will go for a sedan now and in couple of years when I replace my Xylo will go for an SUV. But both Creta AT and City ZX AT are priced almost the same. So I was leaning towards the Creta but then I will have 2 SUV like cars with me although I might have to replace my Xylo soon.

What do you folks suggest as an AT car ?

I also need the car quickly in the next 2-3 weeks.

Thanks.
Old 8th May 2017, 17:26   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfdude View Post
Folks,

I am in the same quandary as the OP with couple of differences.

1) Automatic is a must but my budget is till around Rs. 15 lacs.
2) I had a 17 year old Honda Accord which just died. My other car is a Xylo which is the 2010 top end model and still has 2-3 years life left in it.
3) So ideally I want to have a sedan so that when combined with the Xylo, I will have a sedan for city driving and Xylo for long drives.

I had also narrowed it down to either Creta AT or the City ZX AT. I am 6'1" so definitely need enough legroom/headroom while driving. Also I have a requirement of 5 people. 3 adults plus 2 grown kids.

My thought was I will go for a sedan now and in couple of years when I replace my Xylo will go for an SUV. But both Creta AT and City ZX AT are priced almost the same. So I was leaning towards the Creta but then I will have 2 SUV like cars with me although I might have to replace my Xylo soon.

What do you folks suggest as an AT car ?

I also need the car quickly in the next 2-3 weeks.

Thanks.
Hello Golfdude,

It all narrows down to what types of roads you drive on regularly. If Ground Clearance and a smooth ride over rough roads is a must, the Creta is a winner. If the roads you drive on are smooth (for the most part) and free from "Mountain" speed breakers, the City is a good choice. You have to make sure whether dealers have stock though. Usually, Creta takes about 6 weeks (maximum) and the City, especially due to high demand of the ZX variant commands, even more, waiting period. (Bhpian handsofsteel, had to change his booking to a Jazz, which is mentioned 2 posts before, due to the dealer being uncertain of when the stocks will arrive)
themonster is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks