Team-BHP - SUV to premium sedan for touring purposes : A pipe dream?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   What Car? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-car/)
-   -   SUV to premium sedan for touring purposes : A pipe dream? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-car/186952-suv-premium-sedan-touring-purposes-pipe-dream-3.html)

Preposterous as it may sound and just to have little fun on the thread, why don't you look at custom built Force Traveler 3050. That thing can go anywhere & you will find it doing shoulder-to-shoulder duty in most rugged terrains with our defense forces.
It is neither a SUV nor a sedan.

Regards-Sonu
P.S.: I think I just killed the very essence of this thread lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyline_GT (Post 4200510)
With your requirements there's plenty on offer both new and pre worshipped.

Skoda Octavia/VW Jetta-
-
Solid German Build
- Comfortably sits 4+1
- Diesel (Economical and loads of Torque)
- Premium feel
- Fun to Drive
- Multilink Suspension

Chevrolet Cruze
- Practical and Frugal
- Space
- Fun to Drive
- Power horse

Skoda Laura(Pre worshipped)
- Build Quality
- Practical
- Power House

Other Options-
Nissan X Trail
S- Cross 1.6
Chevrolet Optra (Pre worshipped)

The Optra and the X-Trail would be a pain to maintain and the S-Cross doesnt have an AT variant yet.

The Cruze has a very cramped back row which leaves me with the Jetta and the Octavia.

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfdude (Post 4201283)
Why no one has mentioned the Elantra AT ?? I did a TD last week an loved it.

That's a good point, let me take a test drive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by csnanjappa (Post 4201364)
You can still think about top end Honda City AT , new model is full of bells and whistles.

Honda's, at least in India aren't involving to drive and are pretty fragile cars. This is also why the Ciaz isn't in my list of contenders.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariesonu (Post 4201372)
Preposterous as it may sound and just to have little fun on the thread, why don't you look at custom built Force Traveler 3050.

Naah, too big, too boxy and too slow. Not happening. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by n.devdath (Post 4201509)
That's a good point, let me take a test drive.

If you have experienced a Jetta/Octavia, then it is very less likely that you would like an Elantra. Few weeks back I drove Octavia 1.8 TSI and Elantra back to back on the same route and the winner was very clear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by n.devdath (Post 4201345)
What if I fancy the red pill but want to include FTD and a great ride while compromising to a certain extent on the cost of ownership? What products would you suggest?

Octavia/Jetta rear seats are spacious but not comfortable.

Skoda Superb is an outstanding choice for FTD family touring car. Pick TSI MT if worried about DSG. MT will do just fine if used mainly on highways. I think you will get a decent TSI MT for 10-12L and it's worth taking the risk.

Honda Civic AT is another great FTD family car at super cheap budget, it's a pity Honda doesn't cater to this segment now. This is the only non-EU car that gets my respect.

What is your expected usage pattern?

Quote:

Originally Posted by androdev (Post 4201614)
What is your expected usage pattern?

I will use the car between 20-30k km/year since I intend to start driving it in the city as well. My long distance trips are to places which have trails in the name of roads but the locals drive around those places with their hatches anyway.

We are generally 2-3 people (5'5" -5'11") in the car and one person needs to able to sleep on the rear seat. The Pajero Sport's middle row was not "sleepable" while the Scorpio's was, to make things clear.

I have access to good FNGs across the country and spares as well but would not like to avail of it all the time unless compelled to.

Lastly, I m not a careless driver but will coax the vehicle to go to places where others will not take it.

The Corolla has a GC of 180 mm. I don't think that's a good enough reason to buy one as I've seen people drive octavias (on broken roads) with 155mm GC pretty easily.

A corolla has it's advantages though: Good (but not great) AT, superb seating comfort and great reliability. About most German cars: just pray that the DSG doesn't trouble you. lol:

A used Camry Hybrid might be worth it too.

About premium Euro cars: I think there are many more people who'll give you the right advice.

^
Cars like Superb are best enjoyed on outstation trips including village roads. They are a big hassle in the city: parking, traffic abuse, cost per km, etc. Most of my friends keep a beater car for the city and use the premium cars for out station trips and family travel within the city. They do put good amount of mileage (10-15K km per year), so it not just a show car. I wouldn't advise buying a premium car to do 30K km/year when on budget, it will work out to be very expensive. Don't ask me why all this two car drama instead of buying an Innova and clocking 3 lakh KMs :)

Someone else also suggested the V-40 CC and I will hunt for it.

I have a V-40 CC D3 that I might just decide to sell if the price is right:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kontoo (Post 4201886)
I have a V-40 CC D3 that I might just decide to sell if the price is right:D

And why would you want to sell it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by n.devdath (Post 4201999)
And why would you want to sell it?

Well, I just have this urge to keep changing my cars every year or so. That's the only possible explanation i can think of.:Frustrati

Hunt for (used) Pajero Sports AT in 4X4 format or the Fortuner AT 4X4.
4 low, GC and go anywhere ability plus reliability and long trips, these things won't be feasible with others.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheel (Post 4202255)
Hunt for (used) Pajero Sports AT in 4X4 format or the Fortuner AT 4X4.

There is no PS in the AT and 4WD version else that would have been an option.

I find the Fortuner too crude inside and it has horrible ride quality, something which I find very tough to tolerate.

Also, why settle for 9-10 kmpl over single carriageways and 4 laners which anyway comprise of more than 80% of our usage when it is possible to get 18-20 kmpl?

Please hunt for a used Santa FE. Your thread did give me an idea, but because of my very varied usage, I can't think of cross over/sedan, else Santa FE was/is amazing option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheel (Post 4202351)
Please hunt for a used Santa FE.

I have begun the hunt but those in Bangalore are insanely overpriced.

In a nutshell, it looks like I'm trying to find the toughest AT diesel sedan in India in my budget.

Quote:

Originally Posted by n.devdath (Post 4202920)
I have begun the hunt but those in Bangalore are insanely overpriced.

In a nutshell, it looks like I'm trying to find the toughest AT diesel sedan in India in my budget.

In that case while Jetta may be a slightly better car, I would go for Elantra for the more reasonable maintenance experience. You just know, that just in case something goes wrong, Jetta would be much more expensive to get repaired.