Team-BHP - SUV to premium sedan for touring purposes : A pipe dream?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   What Car? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-car/)
-   -   SUV to premium sedan for touring purposes : A pipe dream? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-car/186952-suv-premium-sedan-touring-purposes-pipe-dream-4.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by autorahul (Post 4203012)
I would go for Elantra for the more reasonable maintenance experience.

I drove the Elantra yesterday and while it comes with pseudo European looks and tries to bundle in a lot of features too, it doesn't come anywhere close to the Octavia/Jetta in handling(even at city speeds) and overall feel. Ruled out.

Sometimes I wish I could get a 2011, less than 40k km done pre owned Montero in white at my budget.:deadhorse

Devdath.....whats the update on your search sir.
Even if you are still searching, it will be great to hear your thought process as you evaluate different vehicles.

cheers
lazy

I'm in the same situation as you are, looking to replace a sedan with another being the only difference. We've had a Skoda so that leaves the Octavia as the last preference, with the Jetta now out of production, i'm left to choose between the Elantra and Corolla both of which I didn't like much.

Even tried my luck in the used car market,but the asking price on well-maintained Jetta's in Bangalore is very high. Looks like the options in the 20-25lakh bracket are few, be it brand new or used cars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazy (Post 4211583)
Even if you are still searching, it will be great to hear your thought process as you evaluate different vehicles.

The search is on and I had the opportunity to sample the Jetta, Ciaz, 320d, Octavia TSI and a Camry, each over a few hundred km over good, bad and ugly roads.
Here are my observations:

1. The Germans are a hoot to drive, they are so good that one tends to forgive other shortcomings like hard suspension (BMW), low seating position etc for the involvement they offer. If it were to be a sedan, it would be a German/European. The Japs were boring, squishy and bland.

2. FE hovered around 15-16kmpl (120-130kmph on 4 laners, 80-90 on single carriageways) for the Jetta and the 320d. So when compared to an SUV, it was an improvement of, say, 4-5kmpl.

Mental fatigue increased significantly.
On 4 laners, I had to look out for stones left by truckers, peer under trucks to see the road ahead, watch out for sudden speed breakers (KA has plenty, even on NHs), go ultra slow on rumble strips, take speed breakers at toll gates at an angle etc.

On single carriageways, potholes had to be babied with, two wheelers and autos would not give way, and going off the road to let an oncoming vehicle pass was scary.

On ugly roads, the lesser said the better, which is not a surprise anyway.

I might have been more nervous than required because the cars did not belong to me but even if they did, I could sense that I had to be fully alert at all times.

So in conclusion, a sedan cannot replace an SUV for my driving pattern and style and the real world FE (I was expecting 20kmpl from the Jetta) improvement isn't worth the mental stress I had to undergo.

What would I love to buy? The 320d or the Octavia TSI for sure, BUT, not as my primary vehicle.

So the question now is, if I were to buy an SUV, I dont have a lot of options which offer AT & 4L in my budget. Gawd..!!:deadhorse

Quote:

Originally Posted by shashank.nk (Post 4211603)
Even tried my luck in the used car market,but the asking price on well-maintained Jetta's in Bangalore is very high. Looks like the options in the 20-25lakh bracket are few, be it brand new or used cars.

Yes, true, however, why dont you look at the Tucson/Tiguan then? They are the only options before the Compass hits the road sometime next month.

Quote:

Originally Posted by n.devdath (Post 4234340)
The search is on and I had the opportunity to sample the Jetta, Ciaz, 320d, Octavia TSI and a Camry, each over a few hundred km over good, bad and ugly roads.
Here are my observations:

So the question now is, if I were to buy an SUV, I dont have a lot of options which offer AT & 4L in my budget. Gawd..!!

I am in the same predicament as you - I have been thinking of replacing my 2001 Land Cruiser (Lexus Kit) with something newer. At one point I went thru the whole sedan replacement but just did not come up with anything I though i would be happy with.

I need something that I can fill with camping and fishing gear and at the moment keep the LC seems to be the only option.

With a similar budget of 25L - I think, I am very rapidly coming to the conclusion of spending a couple of lakhs on the LC - Rework the engine, suspension, etc and keep using it. Also the known devil to the unknown angel applies to my purchase.

Another thing that keeps bothering me - is that if I were to replace the car and spend on something newer say around 2010 (considering my needs, size, etc), if the government in Maharashtra bans diesels over 10 yrs, I wont be as affected.

Quote:

Yes, true, however, why dont you look at the Tucson/Tiguan then? They are the only options before the Compass hits the road sometime next month.

I concur with you on Octavia Tsi. I was at the unveiling yesterday at Tafe access and came home very impressed by the car. It surely is the pick of the segment and now my plans of getting a used Jetta is all but gone since my usage isn't very high and octavia offers so much more in comparison.

I did consider the Tucson and tiguan and like you mentioned, Tucson just doesn't cut it after having got used to a german sedan for so long. I didn't even bother looking at the Tiguan once the prices (post GST) were announced, as good it as it may be, simply not worth the premium IMHO.

I'm eagerly waiting for the Compass pricing and also launch of the auto variant, will like to take a TD and see if I can make the switch to a SUV or i'm better off with sedans.

Quote:

I'm in the EXACTLY same scenario as yours. We have an XUV 500 AT and i20 at home, and I use the i20. After getting used to acres of space, the convenience of automatic and comfort of higher Ground Clearance in XUV, I couldn't bear the cramped manual Hatchback anymore and planning to change it within 3-4 months.

My budget is 18-20 lacs and I've considered used Octavia, Jetta, X1, 320d, V40, Jeep compass.

Slowly zeroing on Octavia and Jeep Compass (as per news - Automatic will be launched in January), though I'm leaning towards Octvia diesel AT.

Reasons:

1. More spacious than all the cars in the list with a huge boot as a bonus.
2. Brilliant 6 speed DSG and good handling which almost matches those Germans at 50% of maintenance costs.
3. Better interiors than Jetta, sunroof.
4 Very good Fuel efficiency - equal to Jetta and more than some of the others in the list.
5. Remap the car to 180 bhp and you have an A4 over therelol:

Skoda service is not as bad as before. A couple of my friends are using the Octavia and they have no issues at all - at least in Hyderabad.

This decision is as of now. I don't know how it turns out when I go to the market searching cars.stupid:

Quote:

Originally Posted by madhav14 (Post 4247387)
Skoda service is not as bad as before. A couple of my friends are using the Octavia and they have no issues at all - at least in Hyderabad.

You are correct. In fact, if you observe, service and vehicle complaints have come down drastically on the Octavia over the recent past. Also, I would pick it over the Compass due to the space, equipment, power and luxury it offers if I were you (since you already have the XUV for bad/unknown roads).

Lastly, contrary to what some say, I like the new HL design of the Octavia a lot.

I came across an interesting car for sale.

It is a 1st owner 2012 Laura TDi DSG Elegance (Cappuccino Beige) done around 35000km. By the looks of it and the service history, it looks to be in decent nick.

The expected quote is 6.75 lac. The insurance has expired and the vehicle is a non KA car.

Do you people think it is worth a buy if it checks out OK upon physical inspection?

Quote:

Originally Posted by n.devdath (Post 4253665)
It is a 1st owner 2012 Laura TDi DSG Elegance (Cappuccino Beige) done around 35000km. By the looks of it and the service history, it looks to be in decent nick.

Made a related post yesterday. Not a fan of buying out-of-warranty 5 to 6 year old Europeans. The good on this car is that it's a diesel DSG (more reliable than the petrol DSG) and the km are fairly low. But still, the model does have its fair share of issues (refer to Anshuman's ownership thread). Someone bought a 6 year old Superb against my advice recently. It's already been to the workshop thrice in 3 months (injectors, water pump, electric seat stuck)!

A few options which I thought might be useful to you.

1. Skoda Yeti. It's the best compromise between a SUV and a sedan. Car like to drive but has the 4wd and off-road cred.

2. BMW X1 used. A BHPian recently picked up a 3 year old X1 highline for around 18 lakhs. The car had run around 25-30K kms and was still under BSI. RWD and practical than a 3 series.

Pls check olx bangalore.
Used santafe 2015.
18.5L
AT.
32kms
Tel 9945555786

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4254215)
But still, the model does have its fair share of issues (refer to Anshuman's ownership thread).

Which is my biggest concern, but don't you think the price is pretty attractive?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 4254221)
1. Skoda Yeti.

No AT here, else, I would have given it serious thought.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 4254221)
2. BMW X1 used.

That makes sense, IF available at a good budget.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMT (Post 4254228)
Used santafe 2015.
18.5L
AT.
32kms
Tel 9945555786

Thank you, but a Mangalore/Kundapur vehicle (coastal) and hence a very deep inspection will be required.

Ok, high performance sedans are addictive:Frustrati and hence this question which prolly encompasses most of the owners who are highly regarded here:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 3788591)
A big shoutout to our Euro car experts - Maverick5490, Ajmat, Akshay1234, Sahil & Amey - for all the tips, help & advice.

Is the 320d (F30) equally/more reliable than the 520/530d in India if purchased after due inspection and precaution?

@Turbonator, would wait for your inputs too. Do not know how to tag people here.

Quote:

Is the 320d (F30) equally/more reliable than the 520/530d in India if purchased after due inspection and precaution?
From my own experience both should be equally reliable or .. But if you are going Pre-owned route, I will suggest to look for some more premium variants. Given your intended purpose and low running it will be much more fun and give you exclusivity. Something like a 640 or SLC or E coupe or even Z4. But if it becomes little difficult, my advise will be to go for a car with low mileage and something which has an extended warranty or you have an option to buy extended warranty. You should always get car checked with dealership perhaps at fees or negotiate if they can adjust this with some accessories.